Total Posts:131|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Goodbye

The_Scapegoat_bleats
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 9:40:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I just wanted to thank all those I have debated in the last months, and bid farewell to my friends. Thanks in particular to all those who voted. You're the life blood of this site!

I have just finished my debate with Mikal.
I will finish my running debates.

Then I'll be gone for good. My apologies to those who would have debated me.

After going toe to toe with Mikal, I have seen the best this site has to offer, and I'm not overly impressed. Regardless of the outcome of that debate.
I have seen the one to become the real champion of this site, and wish them well.
DDO can only go up from here.

I'm moving on to a challenge.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:01:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 9:40:42 PM, The_Scapegoat_bleats wrote:
I just wanted to thank all those I have debated in the last months, and bid farewell to my friends. Thanks in particular to all those who voted. You're the life blood of this site!

I have just finished my debate with Mikal.
I will finish my running debates.

Then I'll be gone for good. My apologies to those who would have debated me.

After going toe to toe with Mikal, I have seen the best this site has to offer, and I'm not overly impressed. Regardless of the outcome of that debate.
I have seen the one to become the real champion of this site, and wish them well.
DDO can only go up from here.

I'm moving on to a challenge.

Bye bye!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:06:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

He's mad because I sniped him

He would be better off in a debate vs jif. It would be viable
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:06:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

He sniped himself*
Romanii
Posts: 4,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:07:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

You don't consider Mikal a challenge?
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:10:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 10:06:40 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

He's mad because I sniped him

He would be better off in a debate vs jif. It would be viable

Haha I'm gonna read the debate soon
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:12:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 10:07:27 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

You don't consider Mikal a challenge?

I do, but I would consider bluesteel or raisor more of one
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:12:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 10:10:41 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:06:40 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

He's mad because I sniped him

He would be better off in a debate vs jif. It would be viable

Haha I'm gonna read the debate soon

It's so unfair that you got to refute my arguments in the last round

#welcometodebate
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:12:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 10:10:41 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:06:40 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

He's mad because I sniped him

He would be better off in a debate vs jif. It would be viable

Haha I'm gonna read the debate soon

Just did.
Not going to vote. They should tie.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:13:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 10:12:20 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:10:41 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:06:40 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

He's mad because I sniped him

He would be better off in a debate vs jif. It would be viable

Haha I'm gonna read the debate soon

It's so unfair that you got to refute my arguments in the last round

#welcometodebate

#welcometolife
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 11:49:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It's not just "who" you debate but "what" you debate. Mikal is a great debater who I would consider as good as anyone to represent the top tier of debaters on this site, however if you're debating Goku vs the Hulk, then you're not gonna get the maximum challenge out of it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
whiteflame
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 12:34:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 11:49:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It's not just "who" you debate but "what" you debate. Mikal is a great debater who I would consider as good as anyone to represent the top tier of debaters on this site, however if you're debating Goku vs the Hulk, then you're not gonna get the maximum challenge out of it.

My thoughts exactly. It wasn't a bad debate, but the points really aren't all that deep. Comes with the territory, and it seems awfully strange to use a debate like that as an evaluative tool for determining whether a debater is good or not. It tells you whether they have good knowledge of a particular subject matter and a decent grasp of how to argue it, but little else.
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 2:48:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 12:34:39 AM, whiteflame wrote:
At 4/26/2014 11:49:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It's not just "who" you debate but "what" you debate. Mikal is a great debater who I would consider as good as anyone to represent the top tier of debaters on this site, however if you're debating Goku vs the Hulk, then you're not gonna get the maximum challenge out of it.

My thoughts exactly. It wasn't a bad debate, but the points really aren't all that deep. Comes with the territory, and it seems awfully strange to use a debate like that as an evaluative tool for determining whether a debater is good or not. It tells you whether they have good knowledge of a particular subject matter and a decent grasp of how to argue it, but little else.

I see that the other way 'round.
Look how he's coming here boasting a victory that hasn't even happened yet.
This is all about methodology and conduct.
Mikal is no challenge, because he refused to MAKE a great debate out of that, instead used semantics in spite of having outruled semantics.
And then there's people like you who let him get away with this.

This site lacks people who understand debate as a form of communication. They consider it a game without rules.

As to Mikal's childish outburst above: No, I planned to leave this site after debating the top spot of the leader board from the day I joined. It just happened sooner than expected.

I'm not even mad, I had an hypothesis about Mikal from the very beginning, and I made him concede in the comments of this debate by changing the title of his debate: http://www.debate.org...
Me: "You are the "legend" here, aren't you?
Well, I'm a noob by your standards, but your alleged "impossible to accept" challenge is a very bad joke.

Prostitution IS legal in many countries, and you failed to specify the country for which it needs to be legalized. Which means your resolution is wrong. In Germany, for example, prostitution cannot be legalized due to its legality.
The only possible answer to this debate would then be: no, it "should" not, it has already been. Which means an instant loss for you.

You had one job: to phrase this right. And you fail to specify what you're even debating. Are we talking globally, for the USA, for Germany, Thailand? What?

I've seen some of your debates, and you're apparently not taking any of this seriously."
He then set the location to the USA.

This was our first contact. I wanted to see if this site is capable of producing a serious debate in its best user, and apparently it cannot.

As for your vote, whiteflame:
"What makes sense is to pit the strongest Hulk against a Goku with access to all of his powers and forms. As would befit Goku's character, who loves a good challenge more than anything else.
This can also not be a death battle. Goku only kills evil beings, but Hulk has been judged as innocent by Ghost Rider, Spirit of Vengeance, even while waging war on planet Earth."
This was sourced with a page out of the actual comic, and never refuted by Mikal.
And yet you believe that Goku would sense evil in the Hulk?
No. Goku allowed Planet Namek to be destroyed before killing Frieza. Even after Frieza destroyed the planet, Goku spared his life. As I sourced. And as you disregard.

The pictures I presented show that Hulk can regrow his entire body within seconds. If anything, there is no incapacitating him.

How do battles end in Dragon Ball?
Either with death, concession or a really stone-cold knockout from total depletion of energy. I gave a clear example for that with the Ultimate Battle of Goku vs. Beerus, two of the most powerful beings in existence.
That is the Dragon Ball default as well as the HULK default, and I did not have to specify that. Anybody who is informed to be a judge for this debate in the first place can tell that all battles are this way in BOTH comics and the Dragonball anime. There is also no logical need to define how the Hulk can be beaten: in his Green Scar form, he just CAN'T. He has been against the most powerful beings and only by concession did he lose, so as NOT to destroy Earth. Goku has been defeated in any of his forms, always of complete exhaustion.
That is the evidence we have, and Mikal has disregarded this default.
Mikal only changed this default setting, which he never refuted - himself bringing examples like Cell and Buu and making DEATH the decisive condition for a win himself - in the final round, post hoc bringing up a new argument I could not refute. Which is semantics at its finest and warrants a full forfeiture as stated in his own rules. And you know it.
Mikal wanted to prove that Goku can kill Hulk, and that was his winning condition. He changed it post-hoc, and that is a full forfeiture.
How can I defend against something that was not contended until AFTER my final round?

You also ignore that Goku needs to to his finger-gesture to initiate his instant transmission. He thus loses his speed advantage, and I pointed that out.

As for your "if he has died, he can die"-argument: he has also come back from atomization. So I say, and stated so: if he is immortal, he is immortal.
The fact that he died and is still around is a testament to that. If he could die, he would be dead, and unable to fight Goku.

So for all your alleged arguments in your RFD, you're still just making stuff up as you go and contradict yourself.

You also disregard that we're in the Dragonball Universe, where death is just a dimensional travel. So, what if he dies? I reasoned how he would come back.

You admit being biased against the Hulk through ignorance, yet vote on this debate.

And you're held in high regard on this site.

Sorry, but that means despite your pro-level background, this site has made you soft. Which is given credit by your recently losing a debate, while you used to be real good. I followed your debates, there used to be some strong stuff. Used to.

All in all: this is not meant to ask you to change your vote. It is meant to tell you that you have been judged, and found wanting.
Like this site.

I need a CHALLENGE, not sloppiness and cheating.

But on this site, nobody - except for one whom I will not name - is serious in ANY of this.
So, there's nothing on this site for me to learn, or take a lesson from. I found bad debaters elsewhere before.

A good debater can make a fully-fledged debate out of anything.
On this site, even great topics like death sentence are discussed on high-school level between the top debaters.

That, and not Mikal's childish behaviour that I criticized before and took the debate regardless, is the reason I had decided to leave all along after having my way with Mikal.

The judging system on this site is biased, especially now that the instigator can invite his friends to be the judges, who then even admit lack of knowledge for the subject at hand and vote for their friend anyway. A serious judge would admit incompetence and partiality, and stand down. Here, the judge reads a little bit and then disregards evidence presented. So that a debater is not even debating an opponent, but IGNORANCE ITSELF.

This is just sad. I had hoped for at least ONE challenge on this site. That would have been fun instead of the boredom that has spread.

So, despite anything Mikal writes - since his word does not have merit in my judgement anyway - this is why I leave: 'this site don't cut it.'
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 2:51:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

bluesteel made a totally incompetent RFD on my debate with Mikal.
"Pro proves that Goku's speed and strength will win."
EVEN whiteflame admits that is not true.

bluesteel is hence worse than whiteflame, whiteflame has already been found wanting.
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 2:59:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 11:49:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It's not just "who" you debate but "what" you debate. Mikal is a great debater who I would consider as good as anyone to represent the top tier of debaters on this site, however if you're debating Goku vs the Hulk, then you're not gonna get the maximum challenge out of it.

If I can't get a serious, well sourced debate on a topic where the sources are very small in numbers, what other topic would offer one?

Mikal, your "great debater" could not even tell four levels of Super Saiyan apart, although he was repeatedly pointed to the source material. His disregard of the source material alone shows that he can't debate at all.

You're one of the officials here, and call him a great debater. So, this site has now OFFICIALLY low standards, if someone who doesn't debate at all is promoted this way.

Thanks for supporting my position on the quality of this site: it's a kindergarten-level playground.

Seriously, though: If one can't handle a minimal number of sources, how can they be a great debater? Convince me! Tell me how a lack of cognitive processing makes a debater great. Or lack of interest in a topic that HE instigated.
I'll be around for a few days still.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 3:02:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So you planned to leave from day one. Okay, then why make a goodbye thread? Just leave and go to wherever it is you want to go. We won't stop you, trust us.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 3:08:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 2:59:59 AM, The_Scapegoat_bleats wrote:
At 4/26/2014 11:49:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It's not just "who" you debate but "what" you debate. Mikal is a great debater who I would consider as good as anyone to represent the top tier of debaters on this site, however if you're debating Goku vs the Hulk, then you're not gonna get the maximum challenge out of it.

If I can't get a serious, well sourced debate on a topic where the sources are very small in numbers, what other topic would offer one?

You're wanting a "serious, well sourced debate" on a clearly non-serious topic. That is not to say that it is a joke debate, but it is not a serious debate.

Mikal, your "great debater" could not even tell four levels of Super Saiyan apart, although he was repeatedly pointed to the source material. His disregard of the source material alone shows that he can't debate at all.

Oh god, someone doesn't know DBZ and DBGT, let's put a dunce cap on them right now.

Not sure if you were around for it, and given your lack of forum posts, I will presume that if you were here, you were probably not active in the forums to note, but Mikal had said awhile ago that he was not going to be doing too many serious debates for awhile.

You're one of the officials here, and call him a great debater. So, this site has now OFFICIALLY low standards, if someone who doesn't debate at all is promoted this way.

Thanks for supporting my position on the quality of this site: it's a kindergarten-level playground.

So that would make you a pre-school level debater?


Seriously, though: If one can't handle a minimal number of sources, how can they be a great debater? Convince me! Tell me how a lack of cognitive processing makes a debater great. Or lack of interest in a topic that HE instigated.
I'll be around for a few days still.

That debate does not make him a great debater, it is his other debates that he has done. I'm sure Stephen Hawkins has made a calculation error or two in his life. Those single errors does not take away from his skill as a physicist.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 3:19:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 3:08:38 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

You're wanting a "serious, well sourced debate" on a clearly non-serious topic. That is not to say that it is a joke debate, but it is not a serious debate.


Oh god, someone doesn't know DBZ and DBGT, let's put a dunce cap on them right now.

Not sure if you were around for it, and given your lack of forum posts, I will presume that if you were here, you were probably not active in the forums to note, but Mikal had said awhile ago that he was not going to be doing too many serious debates for awhile.


So that would make you a pre-school level debater?


That debate does not make him a great debater, it is his other debates that he has done. I'm sure Stephen Hawkins has made a calculation error or two in his life. Those single errors does not take away from his skill as a physicist.

The debate is marked "Miscellaneous", not "Funny". If he wanted a fun debate, he should have stated so before, I would have declined. I make part of my living of comicbooks as an artist, this is serious to me. Plotting comics is part of my professional work. I even warned Mikal on his Goku vs Green Lantern debate that I might challenge him. He didn't reply, so I debated him on Hulk. It was his lack of due diligence then that led to this letdown of a debate. And that is a generla trait I see in him.
If someone INSTIGATES a topic, as a contender I have a RIGHT to assume they know what they are talking about. Comics are a huge industry, not JUST kid's stuff. The creatirs put YEARS of thought in their work. Disrespect for a topic you choose yourself is disgraceful.
Yes, I know that Mikal boldly stated he would not debate a lot anymore. Still, he does. So, he lied. Why would I care?
Ah, I forgot. You're THAT official who goes INSULTING specific members in spite of the new policy in defense of your favorite members! How could I forget? I'll notify airmax regardless.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
I do NOT care about a professional athlete's exploits in physics.
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 3:21:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 3:02:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So you planned to leave from day one. Okay, then why make a goodbye thread? Just leave and go to wherever it is you want to go. We won't stop you, trust us.

I have people here I like. It's called "politeness".
MAYBE you could catch up on that concept?
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 3:31:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 3:21:49 AM, The_Scapegoat_bleats wrote:
At 4/27/2014 3:02:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So you planned to leave from day one. Okay, then why make a goodbye thread? Just leave and go to wherever it is you want to go. We won't stop you, trust us.

I have people here I like. It's called "politeness".
MAYBE you could catch up on that concept?

There is also a culture here called 'stating it as it is.' As I see it, you aren't creating any good discussion, do you have plans to change that? Or plans to leave?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 3:32:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 3:19:48 AM, The_Scapegoat_bleats wrote:
At 4/27/2014 3:08:38 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

You're wanting a "serious, well sourced debate" on a clearly non-serious topic. That is not to say that it is a joke debate, but it is not a serious debate.


Oh god, someone doesn't know DBZ and DBGT, let's put a dunce cap on them right now.

Not sure if you were around for it, and given your lack of forum posts, I will presume that if you were here, you were probably not active in the forums to note, but Mikal had said awhile ago that he was not going to be doing too many serious debates for awhile.


So that would make you a pre-school level debater?


That debate does not make him a great debater, it is his other debates that he has done. I'm sure Stephen Hawkins has made a calculation error or two in his life. Those single errors does not take away from his skill as a physicist.

The debate is marked "Miscellaneous", not "Funny". If he wanted a fun debate, he should have stated so before, I would have declined. I make part of my living of comicbooks as an artist, this is serious to me. Plotting comics is part of my professional work. I even warned Mikal on his Goku vs Green Lantern debate that I might challenge him. He didn't reply, so I debated him on Hulk. It was his lack of due diligence then that led to this letdown of a debate. And that is a generla trait I see in him.
If someone INSTIGATES a topic, as a contender I have a RIGHT to assume they know what they are talking about. Comics are a huge industry, not JUST kid's stuff. The creatirs put YEARS of thought in their work. Disrespect for a topic you choose yourself is disgraceful.

1) you do not have that as a "right." You may be able to argue that it is a rational assumption to make, but it is by no means a right.
2) because you claim to work in the industry does not mean that everyone is going to have as high of an understanding as you do. If you do truly work in the industry. you should be well aware that your knowledge base on that field is far beyond the vast majority or people. So to assume that anyone is going to be as serious or as knowledgeable as you would be poor logic to start with.
3) The difference between Misc and Fun is minuscule as far as topics go. And both are considered to be on the lower end of the "seriousness" chart.

Yes, I know that Mikal boldly stated he would not debate a lot anymore. Still, he does. So, he lied. Why would I care?

He said that he wouldn't do serious debates. There is a difference between "no" debates and "no serious" debates.
Ah, I forgot. You're THAT official who goes INSULTING specific members in spite of the new policy in defense of your favorite members! How could I forget? I'll notify airmax regardless.

I haven't insulted anyone. You said that this is a kindergarten-level debating place. And you lost to the chief kindergartener. So I presume that means you are on a level below Kindergarten. Naturally I only went down one level, to give you the most benefit of the doubt. It would have been insulting if I implied that you were many levels below that, but I only did one. I was trying to be as kind as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
I do NOT care about a professional athlete's exploits in physics.

Well you should, they have to work very hard to make sure they have a career path lined up for when they are not able to play anymore.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 3:35:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 3:21:49 AM, The_Scapegoat_bleats wrote:
At 4/27/2014 3:02:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So you planned to leave from day one. Okay, then why make a goodbye thread? Just leave and go to wherever it is you want to go. We won't stop you, trust us.

I have people here I like. It's called "politeness".
MAYBE you could catch up on that concept?

Creating a public goodbye thread is not politeness, it is a cry for attention. Politeness towards the "people you like" would be to contact them via PM. It would also be letting them know that you have no intention on staying right off the bat.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 5:44:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 2:51:53 AM, The_Scapegoat_bleats wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

bluesteel made a totally incompetent RFD on my debate with Mikal.
"Pro proves that Goku's speed and strength will win."
EVEN whiteflame admits that is not true.

bluesteel is hence worse than whiteflame, whiteflame has already been found wanting.

Bluesteel is not considered a reliable voter around here, so I won't defend him. But can you please explain to me how " whiteflame has already been found wanting?"
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 8:52:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 3:31:11 AM, Smithereens wrote:

There is also a culture here called 'stating it as it is.' As I see it, you aren't creating any good discussion, do you have plans to change that? Or plans to leave?

Plans to leave, as soon as my last debates are past voting.

Thanks for asking.
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 9:03:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 3:32:31 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
1) you do not have that as a "right." You may be able to argue that it is a rational assumption to make, but it is by no means a right.

I beg to differ. Tied.

2) because you claim to work in the industry does not mean that everyone is going to have as high of an understanding as you do. If you do truly work in the industry. you should be well aware that your knowledge base on that field is far beyond the vast majority or people. So to assume that anyone is going to be as serious or as knowledgeable as you would be poor logic to start with.

Again: Mikal instigated this debate, I tried to make contact with him in the comments, he knows I'm a professional comic artist, he didn't care.
My knowledge is indeed a point though: if the judges lack the proper knowledge to even judge this, and they vote, this very debate renders your entire system void. You CONCEDE my knowledge, yet have no problem with judges voting for Mikal in thinly disguised vote bombs.
That's why your site is on kindergarten level.

3) The difference between Misc and Fun is minuscule as far as topics go. And both are considered to be on the lower end of the "seriousness" chart.

The dictionary would beg to differ. Miscellaneous is anything that does not pertain to other topics. Period. Either that or omit one of the two categories. It's the logical thing to do. Why have two (almost) identical categories if there is no decisive difference?

He said that he wouldn't do serious debates. There is a difference between "no" debates and "no serious" debates.

I clearly remember him posting after imabench was gone that he would stop debating entirely.
If he changed that afterwards, he lied before. I still don't care.

I haven't insulted anyone. You said that this is a kindergarten-level debating place. And you lost to the chief kindergartener. So I presume that means you are on a level below Kindergarten. Naturally I only went down one level, to give you the most benefit of the doubt. It would have been insulting if I implied that you were many levels below that, but I only did one. I was trying to be as kind as possible.

See, that's the point: the voting period is not over. So either you already know how the voting is going to end - which would be an insult to this entire community, because you'd allow rigged votes - or you're expressing malicious glee - which is insulting.
Wiggle your way around it, your intent was to insult me.

Well you should, they have to work very hard to make sure they have a career path lined up for when they are not able to play anymore.

Fair enough. Still: no. If they are bad in their new careers, it was their own bad choice. They will learn from it and become better persons, or they will suffer the consequences of their own hubris. Either way is fine with me.
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 9:07:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 2:51:53 AM, The_Scapegoat_bleats wrote:
At 4/26/2014 10:04:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
If you want a challenge debate bluesteel or raisor or roylatham

bluesteel made a totally incompetent RFD on my debate with Mikal.
"Pro proves that Goku's speed and strength will win."
EVEN whiteflame admits that is not true.

bluesteel is hence worse than whiteflame, whiteflame has already been found wanting.

One vote =\= representation of debating skill brah. While we're at it, white flame would be a good challenge too. If you're still around after finals, I also intend to debate you
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Posts: 90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 9:15:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/27/2014 3:35:27 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Creating a public goodbye thread is not politeness, it is a cry for attention. Politeness towards the "people you like" would be to contact them via PM. It would also be letting them know that you have no intention on staying right off the bat.

There is a difference between "cry for attention" and "raising awareness".
I contact select close friends via PM. Others, like those who might have posted in the comments, are hard to identify, and sending each of them unwarrented PM's might be interpreted as harrassment.
This is personal enough to be polite, and unpersonal enough to remain so.

Nobody stays on this site forever. That's a given I need not point out. The date of my departure wasn't set. Would it also be polite to inform people I might die any day in an accident and could possibly not be back?

And forgive me, you are NOT the one to make courtesy rules. We have already seen your temper get the better of you several times, and you're not giving a great performance here, either. Unfortunately. With a bit of discipline, most people on this site could be so much more.