Jump to topic:

Some important news(Election-wise)

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 7:18:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
After talking with Progressivedem, today we have reached an agreement. We are going to merge our campaigns, and run on one ticket.

I will be the candidate for president, and he will be my running-mate for Vice President.

Ultimately, we felt that our platforms were very similar, and that we could get more accomplished on a joint ticket than individually.

We hope that we will be able to help the community of DDO, and thank you everybody for reading. That should be it, news-wise from me, on the election side, for now.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 8:14:38 PM
What's the combined platform?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 8:15:10 PM
At 4/28/2014 8:10:36 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
So, what say you all?

Eh, why not? Makes you guys more competitive.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 8:22:53 PM
Good choice :) Good luck, Daytona + Progressive.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Intrepid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 8:26:55 PM
imo I don't really care because I'm too close minded to consider voting for anyone that isn't a long term, intelligent, respected, and popular member. Not that you aren't Daytona, but that I think people like TUF could beat you out in nearly all of those categories.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 8:29:20 PM
This is definitely a ticket I'm keeping an eye on. There's a few others I'm looking at at the moment, but this ticket looks promising.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 8:42:57 PM
At 4/28/2014 8:26:55 PM, Intrepid wrote:
imo I don't really care because I'm too close minded to consider voting for anyone that isn't a long term, intelligent, respected, and popular member. Not that you aren't Daytona, but that I think people like TUF could beat you out in nearly all of those categories.

Actually, I'm not going to disagree with you here. TUF, and other members, have achieved higher levels of these qualities than I have.

But there is one thing, one thing about TUF's presidency, that really is(Or, at least one of) the driving reason why I am really in this race. TUF's neutrality.

TUF has been neutral to most of the site issues that have come up during his presidency. He hasn't really taken a stand on anything, never made a real, honest effort on these issues. That's why we should vote out the incumbent. We need a president to take a hard stand with DDO. Who will make a large effort for this community. I believe TUF has shown that, during his tenure, that he does not have these qualities.

I believe that this ticket that we have here, will live up to these qualities, and be a force for positive change within the DDO community.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Intrepid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 8:45:40 PM
At 4/28/2014 8:42:57 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Actually, I'm not going to disagree with you here. TUF, and other members, have achieved higher levels of these qualities than I have.

But there is one thing, one thing about TUF's presidency, that really is(Or, at least one of) the driving reason why I am really in this race. TUF's neutrality.

TUF has been neutral to most of the site issues that have come up during his presidency. He hasn't really taken a stand on anything, never made a real, honest effort on these issues. That's why we should vote out the incumbent. We need a president to take a hard stand with DDO. Who will make a large effort for this community. I believe TUF has shown that, during his tenure, that he does not have these qualities.

I believe that this ticket that we have here, will live up to these qualities, and be a force for positive change within the DDO community.

I think the presidency is one of those things where every president goes in wishing to make a change and is very passionate about changing DDO for the better then they become president and realize it isn't as easy as they though, and that changes made to DDO largely rely on Juggle.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 8:48:07 PM
Still not planning on voting for anyone currently in the running.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 8:49:28 PM
At 4/28/2014 8:45:40 PM, Intrepid wrote:

I think the presidency is one of those things where every president goes in wishing to make a change and is very passionate about changing DDO for the better then they become president and realize it isn't as easy as they though, and that changes made to DDO largely rely on Juggle.

Site updates, generally, rely on Juggle, which is indeed true. However, voting for us would show Juggle that these are updates that people really want to see.

A good chunk of the changes we want have to do with the moderation and community side of Juggle. I am aware that being elected does not automatically make one a moderator. However, like the Juggle issue, this would show the moderators that these policies are the ones we want, the ones we want to change.

Also, these aren't changes we just want to campaign on. We want to actively pursue it, once we make it to office, and make an active effort to push these things to happen.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Intrepid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 8:50:53 PM
At 4/28/2014 8:49:28 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 4/28/2014 8:45:40 PM, Intrepid wrote:

Site updates, generally, rely on Juggle, which is indeed true. However, voting for us would show Juggle that these are updates that people really want to see.

A good chunk of the changes we want have to do with the moderation and community side of Juggle. I am aware that being elected does not automatically make one a moderator. However, like the Juggle issue, this would show the moderators that these policies are the ones we want, the ones we want to change.

Also, these aren't changes we just want to campaign on. We want to actively pursue it, once we make it to office, and make an active effort to push these things to happen.

Alright, well I'm interested to see how your campaign goes.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 10:06:52 PM
The joint platform:
1. Repeal(Or seriously modify) the recently released policy on personal attacks:
Now, I understand that there are people who agree with this, and doubting that it actually has a big impact. What I believe to be so wrong with it is what they define as 'Personal Attacks'. I mean, come on, Ad Hominems are personal attacks? I believe people should be allowed to call each other idiots, etc., if they are able to justify such a calling out. Now, don't get me wrong, I respect what they were trying to do here. But it would need serious reworking, at the very least. There are some things I agree with that were under the policy, mainly the legal and reporting threats, but there is a great deal under the policy that was wrong, in my opinion. Members are leaving because of it, and I really can understand why.

2. Work with Juggle on fixes and updates:
Ultimately, Juggle is a big dog when it comes to site change. After all, they own the site. I think we can all agree that the technical issues that we have been having are very tedious and annoying, and should be rid of from the site. If elected, we would push Juggle to have a permanent server fix to this problem, or, as much as a fix as there can possibly be. Also, because we now see Juggle's recent willingness in updating, after the technical fixes have been implemented, we will push Juggle to provide updates on features the site has been clamoring. Team Debates are often discussed(Albeit, most times, to no avail), as well as tagging. We think that Juggle can play a huge part in improving the community. But we can change our own community as well, leading me to number 3:

3. New Banning Policy:
You may be asking "What? But I thought you wanted to repeal banning policies! Not add new ones!" Well, before you write me off, give this a chance. There was a great idea for a new banning policy proposed last election season by Imabench and Bsh1, two users, I have great respect for, and I find that it would be very effective. This is what Imabench proposed, as the policy, in his own words:
"- 1 - Poll Spammers -------- If you spam a lot of polls, you get one severe warning to cease doing so immediately. If you continue to spam polls, then youre banned..... If you go several weeks between spamming sessions, you get a second warning, and then anything after that will result in a banning

- 2 - People who only post hate content ------ Remember falconduler and qopel? People like those two who only ever posted stuff to sh** on the jews, blacks, gays, or people whose entire existence is to go out and pick fights with people on DDO would be banned under my administration almost immediately without a second thought when it is apparent that they will not stop..... I think everyone on here agrees that Qopel wasnt banned from DDO soon enough, and if I were President, I would be that guy who brings out the banhammer right away on people who clearly cant be fixed, like Qopel.

- 3 - Idiots --------- THIS is the one where people get touchy, the policy of banning stupid people just because they are really, really REALLY stupid..... But I have a solution that might appease some of you. I will not be the judge, jury, and executioner of whether or not someone gets banned for being a complete idiot......... YOU will.

Remember when public trials were a thing, like with Izbo10? I would bring that idea back when dealing with exceptionally stupid people, where the people of DDO, ALL of the people of DDO, could pass judgement on whether or not someone should be kicked off of DDO because they are excessively stupid.

To some of you, that sounds like mob rule. And you know what, you would be correct. I am proposing mob rule, because this is OUR site and I think its time we take it back by kicking out one idiot at a time..... It sounds pretty old school and barbaric, and thats what im bringing to the table on this one, some old school a** kicking to the people who really shouldnt be here."

I believe that this is a fair system, as the users would get to decide if another user should be put on trial, but it still leaves a fighting chance for an unpopular user to show off in a trial that they should be able to stay on DDO, and do not deserve to be kicked off. Also, after discussing with Progressivedem, we believe that plagiarism should also be included in this new banning policy.

Now, I know what some of you are thinking, mainly with numbers 1 and 3. "You aren't a mod. You can't change these things yourself. Getting the presidency doesn't automatically give mod powers." All of this is true, actually. But here's why these are issues on my platform. If the users of DDO vote for a user with moderation issues in their platform, and they are elected president, it would show our moderators that these are things that a majority of the users believe in, and they would hopefully realize that these are things the users want, and institute these policies. It may be wishful thinking, but who knows, crazier things have happened.

^Tis was my old platform, with some necessary tweeks, to accommodate this joint ticket^
#FeeltheFreezerBern
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 7:47:36 AM

I think it's undeniable that TUF's a really good guy -- intelligent, mature, super cool, and highly capable. I don't think anyone, even candidates running against him, would dare to question that as they would only be kidding themselves, and I personally think that mudslinging for political reasons is reprehensible.

But, with that said, the appeal that daytona and I have is that we have a certain core set of ideas that we'd like to be implemented and a vision for the site. I'm sure we have some respectful disagreements with Tuf, and we intend to discuss those more when the election rolls around. Ultimately, though, this election is about the direction that DDO would like to travel down, and although I'm sure all of the candidates want it to flourish, we likely conceive of a different methodology for getting to that point. So I would urge you, as well as other voters, to consider this election in terms of ideas and visions. We're not running against TUF's intellect or personality, nor do we have any interest in attacking him personally or even questioning the qualities of his that you and others have laid out.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 8:22:04 AM

Could you elaborate on what issues I am "neutral" on? Off the top of my head you can either be referring to site direction development wise or moderation wise. Moderation wise the main thing I think you may be referring to is airmaxs policy. Ultimately that type of stuff doesnt really have much to do with the presidents role so I dont think this is relevant. Development wise it has been my effort to get site direction back to the debate side of the table. I have been working with juggle for quite some time pushing for these things. Also members like bluesteel and mikal can also testify some of the behind the scenes work that I have had going on with juggle working really hard to push site direction back.

At any rate I apologize that my effort in this term aren't as tangible as you would have liked. I certainly would have liked better results. I doubt that it is as much to do with me as it is to do with the fact that my role relies on outside forces, but I could be wrong. But if you become president, I guess you will also see that when things don't happen sometimes you will get blame for them even though you are a representative, and such is the place to you are putting me.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 12:23:23 PM
At 4/29/2014 8:22:04 AM, TUF wrote:

I doubt that it is as much to do with me as it is to do with the fact that my role relies on outside forces, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Obama!
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 5:00:57 PM
At 4/29/2014 12:23:23 PM, Ragnar wrote:

I doubt that it is as much to do with me as it is to do with the fact that my role relies on outside forces, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Obama!

Well the difference is that Obama actually CAN enforce regulation and does have political powers .
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 5:20:27 PM
At 4/29/2014 5:00:57 PM, TUF wrote:
At 4/29/2014 12:23:23 PM, Ragnar wrote:

Thanks Obama!

Well the difference is that Obama actually CAN enforce regulation and does have political powers .

It depends largely on which regs you're talking about. Sure, he's a wuss, but it's difficult to enforce, say, Dodd-Frank or something like that when it's underfunded.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 6:51:29 PM
At 5/8/2014 4:36:16 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Big bump.

Looks like you lost your running mate.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~