Total Posts:75|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

ELO ranking

TheRussian
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 7:43:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hey, could you guys help me out a bit? what exactly is elo ranking? how is it calculated? is it the higher the better? or the lower the better?
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,743
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 7:47:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 7:43:05 AM, TheRussian wrote:
Hey, could you guys help me out a bit? what exactly is elo ranking? how is it calculated? is it the higher the better? or the lower the better?

Lower is better.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 7:49:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 7:47:39 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:43:05 AM, TheRussian wrote:
Hey, could you guys help me out a bit? what exactly is elo ranking? how is it calculated? is it the higher the better? or the lower the better?

Lower is better.

No! Bad Jonbon! Bad!
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 7:49:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The lower the better.
.
.
In my clueless, uninformed opinion, elo is calculated by winning or losing debates against other ranked elo debaters. The higher their elo, the more elo you gain by beating them. Elo accumulates after many debates, but is most affected by beating a high elo debater. RoyLatham for example, beats many high elo debaters and does it a lot. Thus he has the highest elo.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,743
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 7:52:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 7:49:00 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:47:39 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:43:05 AM, TheRussian wrote:
Hey, could you guys help me out a bit? what exactly is elo ranking? how is it calculated? is it the higher the better? or the lower the better?

Lower is better.

No! Bad Jonbon! Bad!

http://cdn.fansided.com...
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 7:54:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 7:52:10 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:49:00 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:47:39 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:43:05 AM, TheRussian wrote:
Hey, could you guys help me out a bit? what exactly is elo ranking? how is it calculated? is it the higher the better? or the lower the better?

Lower is better.

No! Bad Jonbon! Bad!

http://cdn.fansided.com...

Where do you get all these memes from? -__-
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 7:54:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 7:54:05 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:52:10 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:49:00 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:47:39 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:43:05 AM, TheRussian wrote:
Hey, could you guys help me out a bit? what exactly is elo ranking? how is it calculated? is it the higher the better? or the lower the better?

Lower is better.

No! Bad Jonbon! Bad!

http://cdn.fansided.com...

Where do you get all these memes and GIFs from? -__-

Fix'd
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,743
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 7:55:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 7:54:05 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:52:10 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:49:00 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:47:39 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/30/2014 7:43:05 AM, TheRussian wrote:
Hey, could you guys help me out a bit? what exactly is elo ranking? how is it calculated? is it the higher the better? or the lower the better?

Lower is better.

No! Bad Jonbon! Bad!

http://cdn.fansided.com...

Where do you get all these *gifs and* memes from? -__-

I just use google and reddit :P
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 9:19:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 7:54:18 AM, TheRussian wrote:
Ok, cool, thanks guys.

Higher is better. Don't listen to people, they're trolling you, lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Fanath
Posts: 830
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 9:41:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 9:20:59 AM, TheRussian wrote:
haha, i know :P the first person that answered wasn't a very trusty source XD

Bsh1 is lying. The lower the elo the better the debater. Bsh1 just try's to trick people so that they think he has a good ELO ranking...

Don't listen to him!
Dude... Stop...
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 10:39:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 7:43:05 AM, TheRussian wrote:
Hey, could you guys help me out a bit? what exactly is elo ranking? how is it calculated? is it the higher the better? or the lower the better?

If you're the instigator you also get alot more ELO from the debates.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
TheRussian
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 10:43:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Really? Okay, cool. Do you ONLY get elo points when you beat a better person and only lose them when you lose to a lower person? or can you have vice-versa of both?
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 10:43:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Advice: Don't take it seriously
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 10:53:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 10:50:25 AM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/30/2014 10:43:48 AM, thett3 wrote:
Advice: Don't take it seriously
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 1:13:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 10:43:42 AM, TheRussian wrote:
Really? Okay, cool. Do you ONLY get elo points when you beat a better person and only lose them when you lose to a lower person? or can you have vice-versa of both?

You will always gain ELO when you win. The amount of gain has to do with the difference between you and the person you beat.
CJKAllstar
Posts: 408
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 1:28:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
ELO

ELO is a system that awards winning debates against higher ranking opponents. Whenever you win a debate, your ELO goes by a certain amount, and your opponents ELO goes down by the same amount. That amount is determined by this formula:

D = 100*(W+9L)/10W

W = Winner's original ELO
L = Loser's original ELO
D = Change in ELO

There is a 25 point instigator advantage as well; the instigator gets +25 and the contender gets -25 points.

So for example, somebody with 2000 ELO faces somebody with 8000 ELO and wins, and that person instigated it.

100*(2000+(9*8000))/(10*2000) = 370.

370 + 25 = 395 points increase, so in the end he will have 2395 ELO points and the other person will have an ELO of 7605.

I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure this is how it works.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 2:06:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 9:41:08 AM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:20:59 AM, TheRussian wrote:
haha, i know :P the first person that answered wasn't a very trusty source XD

Bsh1 is lying. The lower the elo the better the debater. Bsh1 just try's to trick people so that they think he has a good ELO ranking...

Don't listen to him!

Lol...Okay Fanath. Well, let's put it to a bet. I bet that I, with my ELO of 4,874, can beat you, with your ELO of 2,204, in a debate. Since you have an advantage of more than 2,000 points, I should be totally crushed. Deal? ;)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 2:39:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
if the Elo goes above 9000 you're bad and if its below 0 you're good. Everyone else is average.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
Fanath
Posts: 830
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 2:57:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 2:06:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:41:08 AM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:20:59 AM, TheRussian wrote:
haha, i know :P the first person that answered wasn't a very trusty source XD

Bsh1 is lying. The lower the elo the better the debater. Bsh1 just try's to trick people so that they think he has a good ELO ranking...

Don't listen to him!

Lol...Okay Fanath. Well, let's put it to a bet. I bet that I, with my ELO of 4,874, can beat you, with your ELO of 2,204, in a debate. Since you have an advantage of more than 2,000 points, I should be totally crushed. Deal? ;)
Nope. I had an account with about 3,000 elo before.

2,000+ 3000= 5000

5000>4900...

Duh.
Dude... Stop...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 2:59:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 2:57:52 PM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 2:06:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:41:08 AM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:20:59 AM, TheRussian wrote:
haha, i know :P the first person that answered wasn't a very trusty source XD

Bsh1 is lying. The lower the elo the better the debater. Bsh1 just try's to trick people so that they think he has a good ELO ranking...

Don't listen to him!

Lol...Okay Fanath. Well, let's put it to a bet. I bet that I, with my ELO of 4,874, can beat you, with your ELO of 2,204, in a debate. Since you have an advantage of more than 2,000 points, I should be totally crushed. Deal? ;)
Nope. I had an account with about 3,000 elo before.

2,000+ 3000= 5000


5000>4900...

Duh.

Unfortunately, everyone starts out with 2,000 points. So, on your new account, you've only gained 204 points. 3,000 + 204 = 3,204. Thus, you are still 1,000 points better, and should breeze to victory.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Fanath
Posts: 830
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 3:20:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 2:59:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/30/2014 2:57:52 PM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 2:06:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:41:08 AM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:20:59 AM, TheRussian wrote:
haha, i know :P the first person that answered wasn't a very trusty source XD

Bsh1 is lying. The lower the elo the better the debater. Bsh1 just try's to trick people so that they think he has a good ELO ranking...

Don't listen to him!

Lol...Okay Fanath. Well, let's put it to a bet. I bet that I, with my ELO of 4,874, can beat you, with your ELO of 2,204, in a debate. Since you have an advantage of more than 2,000 points, I should be totally crushed. Deal? ;)
Nope. I had an account with about 3,000 elo before.

2,000+ 3000= 5000


5000>4900...

Duh.

Unfortunately, everyone starts out with 2,000 points. So, on your new account, you've only gained 204 points. 3,000 + 204 = 3,204. Thus, you are still 1,000 points better, and should breeze to victory.

Then you have to subtract the 2.000 points on your account to.

4,900-2,000 equals 2900

3,204>2900............
Dude... Stop...
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 4:54:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The lower the elo you have, the better you are. ELO is your ranking on how far up you are. If you have an elo of 1565, you are the 1565th best debater on this site. An ELO of 8010 (like mikal or roy_latham or Danielle) indicates you are a terrible debater.

In all, try to keep your elo low! The people who think a high elo is good don't understand hor Ore_ele created it. Good luck on DDO
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 4:59:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 3:20:48 PM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 2:59:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/30/2014 2:57:52 PM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 2:06:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:41:08 AM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:20:59 AM, TheRussian wrote:
haha, i know :P the first person that answered wasn't a very trusty source XD

Bsh1 is lying. The lower the elo the better the debater. Bsh1 just try's to trick people so that they think he has a good ELO ranking...

Don't listen to him!

Lol...Okay Fanath. Well, let's put it to a bet. I bet that I, with my ELO of 4,874, can beat you, with your ELO of 2,204, in a debate. Since you have an advantage of more than 2,000 points, I should be totally crushed. Deal? ;)
Nope. I had an account with about 3,000 elo before.

2,000+ 3000= 5000


5000>4900...

Duh.

Unfortunately, everyone starts out with 2,000 points. So, on your new account, you've only gained 204 points. 3,000 + 204 = 3,204. Thus, you are still 1,000 points better, and should breeze to victory.

Then you have to subtract the 2.000 points on your account to.

4,900-2,000 equals 2900


3,204>2900............

But, the 2000 on my existing account cancels out with the 2000 points on your previous account. Correcting for that, you have 1000 + 204 = 1,204.

4,874 - 2000 = 2,874. Therefore, you still have a 1,000+ point advantage over me.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Fanath
Posts: 830
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 5:00:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 4:59:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/30/2014 3:20:48 PM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 2:59:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/30/2014 2:57:52 PM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 2:06:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:41:08 AM, Fanath wrote:
At 4/30/2014 9:20:59 AM, TheRussian wrote:
haha, i know :P the first person that answered wasn't a very trusty source XD

Bsh1 is lying. The lower the elo the better the debater. Bsh1 just try's to trick people so that they think he has a good ELO ranking...

Don't listen to him!

Lol...Okay Fanath. Well, let's put it to a bet. I bet that I, with my ELO of 4,874, can beat you, with your ELO of 2,204, in a debate. Since you have an advantage of more than 2,000 points, I should be totally crushed. Deal? ;)
Nope. I had an account with about 3,000 elo before.

2,000+ 3000= 5000


5000>4900...

Duh.

Unfortunately, everyone starts out with 2,000 points. So, on your new account, you've only gained 204 points. 3,000 + 204 = 3,204. Thus, you are still 1,000 points better, and should breeze to victory.

Then you have to subtract the 2.000 points on your account to.

4,900-2,000 equals 2900


3,204>2900............

But, the 2000 on my existing account cancels out with the 2000 points on your previous account. Correcting for that, you have 1000 + 204 = 1,204.

4,874 - 2000 = 2,874. Therefore, you still have a 1,000+ point advantage over me.

Nope. You forgot to carry the x in that equation, sorry.
Dude... Stop...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 5:02:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/30/2014 5:00:34 PM, Fanath wrote:

Nope. You forgot to carry the x in that equation, sorry.

Can you even math?

Besides, we're debating in Daytona's tourney anyhow, so we'll sort this out then. I PM'd you some topics. Since you're on, do you like any of those?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...