Jump to topic:

Website changed over-night

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:08:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Today two things are happening on this site that haven't happened for me before.

1) Suddenly random words are now highlighted and underlined. This is that hyperlink advertising where if I click on the word it brings me to a whole new website. Right now, as I type this, the word Emoticon is highlighted and underlined twice. I click it, boom, I'm on another site.

2) I'm being brought to other websites automatically now which is ridiculous. I was just typing a comment on a debate and mid-comment my page changes to a world of tanks sign-up page. Right before that, while browsing debates open for challenge, the page automatically brought me to an insurance information page. What is this nonsense?! It's incredibly annoying that my page would change automatically without my clicking on any external links. I've NEVER had that happen to me before.

Ultimately, it is clear this is nothing more than another scheme by Juggle to make additional money from advertisers but at what point does it get to be too much?

Also, is there any advanced form of ad-blocker that can spare me from possibly being taken to a new page while in the middle of typing a debate round?! And why are the ads now having sound? I'm having random ad sounds coming up out of nowhere - all of this is starting for me just today.

I already ran my adware and spyware programs and these issues aren't on my end. Something changed from yesterday to today.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:20:11 PM
Exapnsion on the sound of advertisements now spamming my speakers.

I was just on my profile page, and this sound erupts... an unbearable voice, speaking of madness including free prescription pills for a limited trial. Such brute words... such corporate misinformation... such underlying issues as the general mental state of dependency in America... The craziest part is that the ad itself was nowhere to be found, so I couldn't exactly mute it lol.

I care because it overtakes Mozarts 'The Magic Flute' which I currently have on as background noise.

I get it, Juggle wants that $$$ but please - how may I now enjoy my background noise if such crude language is automatically spewing from invisible advertisements originating from the open tabs that are on DDO pages?
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:22:34 PM
Well, I have Chrome with Adblock, so these issues haven't gotten to me. If they bother you, just use Chrome, and then download the Adblock add-on. I couldn't stand DDO without these tools.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Dennybug
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:26:01 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:08:51 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Today two things are happening on this site that haven't happened for me before.

1) Suddenly random words are now highlighted and underlined. This is that hyperlink advertising where if I click on the word it brings me to a whole new website. Right now, as I type this, the word Emoticon is highlighted and underlined twice. I click it, boom, I'm on another site.

2) I'm being brought to other websites automatically now which is ridiculous. I was just typing a comment on a debate and mid-comment my page changes to a world of tanks sign-up page. Right before that, while browsing debates open for challenge, the page automatically brought me to an insurance information page. What is this nonsense?! It's incredibly annoying that my page would change automatically without my clicking on any external links. I've NEVER had that happen to me before.

Ultimately, it is clear this is nothing more than another scheme by Juggle to make additional money from advertisers but at what point does it get to be too much?

Also, is there any advanced form of ad-blocker that can spare me from possibly being taken to a new page while in the middle of typing a debate round?! And why are the ads now having sound? I'm having random ad sounds coming up out of nowhere - all of this is starting for me just today.

I already ran my adware and spyware programs and these issues aren't on my end. Something changed from yesterday to today.

World of tanks is F**king awesome. You should be happy. Also I've been having the same issues. But it hasn't happened since yesterday so I think you can wait it out. Mainly happens after I've just logged in. So maybe keep it on "keep me signed in"?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:27:47 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:22:34 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Well, I have Chrome with Adblock, so these issues haven't gotten to me. If they bother you, just use Chrome, and then download the Adblock add-on. I couldn't stand DDO without these tools.

I use Chrome, and I thought I did have Adblock but if these issues aren't happening for you then perhaps I don't.

Should I just google search for the add-on?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:29:40 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:24:39 PM, DeeAnn wrote:
It hasn't changed for me so it's probably a virus on your part.

First thing I did was run my anti-malware, and anti-spyware programs and both came up clean before I made this thread. I'm going to try a previous suggestion and see if that works.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:32:12 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:27:47 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I use Chrome, and I thought I did have Adblock but if these issues aren't happening for you then perhaps I don't.

Check yer add-ons and remove any you never added. This shouldn't be happening, and used to happen to me on every website.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:32:43 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:29:40 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

First thing I did was run my anti-malware, and anti-spyware programs and both came up clean before I made this thread. I'm going to try a previous suggestion and see if that works.

Never use Windows or OSX. Get yourself a Linux distribution(preferably Ubuntu) and browse the Internet like a Pro through a terminal window.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:37:05 PM
Okay, I just installed Google Adblock.

It's showing that it has blocked 7 things already and this is the first page I've been on so far, wow.

The hyperlinked words are still appearing though, so I will wait it out and see if that changes on its own over time. As long as no random ad sounds come up and block out my background music I'll be good, I can overlook the other stuff as long as I have my classical playing.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I suppose time will tell all!
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:38:49 PM
That happened to me too, not too long ago, and it was just a virus. I got my dad to take the computer apart (i wouldn't suggest this unless your and electrical engineer btw) and we reset the computer and it was bak to normal ^_^
I may or may not be a cat
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:40:11 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:32:43 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 5/4/2014 12:29:40 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Never use Windows or OSX. Get yourself a Linux distribution(preferably Ubuntu) and browse the Internet like a Pro through a terminal window.

My buddy who worked as an Apple Genius for a few years suggested the same thing when I brought this issue up to him this morning. That solution is impossible for me to achieve at this point, but someday I might make that switch. For now, we'll see how the adblock works since I don't have too much $ at the moment.
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:43:16 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:37:05 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

It's showing that it has blocked 7 things already and this is the first page I've been on so far, wow.

The hyperlinked words are still appearing though, so I will wait it out and see if that changes on its own over time. As long as no random ad sounds come up and block out my background music I'll be good, I can overlook the other stuff as long as I have my classical playing.

Sorry to say but it is either just a virus (or some form of Malware), or an add-on/extension software that is causing this. Sounds like adware to me, especailyl when you mentioned being completely redirected against your will and that adverts are playing on this website.

Just because the virus scans came up does not mean the virus is not there sadly. Have you ran the scans in safe mode? What scanners are you using? AVG and Avast are typically considered the best, and definitely run a scan using Malwarebytes as that finds a lot of malware that most virus scanners miss. But to me, this sounds like malware.

Should things get really desperate, you can try restoring Windows (I assume) to an earlier point, which may or may not eliminate said virus.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:44:04 PM
My buddy who worked as an Apple Genius for a few years suggested the same thing when I brought this issue up to him this morning. That solution is impossible for me to achieve at this point, but someday I might make that switch. For now, we'll see how the adblock works since I don't have too much $ at the moment.

If it doesn't work, download a Firefox Portable and install Adblock plus. Firefox being Portable would avoid 99% of such scamware.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:47:51 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:44:04 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

If it doesn't work, download a Firefox Portable and install Adblock plus. Firefox being Portable would avoid 99% of such scamware.

Alright, I will definitely keep that in mind as an alternative solution should this not give me the results I desire.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:53:14 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:43:16 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:

Sorry to say but it is either just a virus (or some form of Malware), or an add-on/extension software that is causing this. Sounds like adware to me, especailyl when you mentioned being completely redirected against your will and that adverts are playing on this website.

That's understandable. I get all my anti-virus programs from ninite.com

If this problem persists, I will look into it further but the adblock add-on for chrome seems to be working at this point, aside from the hyperlinked words. Every other issue seems to have been taken care of with that add-on.

Just because the virus scans came up does not mean the virus is not there sadly. Have you ran the scans in safe mode? What scanners are you using? AVG and Avast are typically considered the best, and definitely run a scan using Malwarebytes as that finds a lot of malware that most virus scanners miss. But to me, this sounds like malware.

Should things get really desperate, you can try restoring Windows (I assume) to an earlier point, which may or may not eliminate said virus.

I really hope it doesn't come to all that. I've had to run my comp in safe mode before and do the whole dance of restoring or uninstalling windows then reinstalling. It doesn't seem like it will come to that at this point, but I will keep those programs in mind if I do need them.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 12:54:05 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:44:31 PM, Intrepid wrote:
I don't have this problem and I don't have adblock.

I never did either, until today. Count your blessings, sir :)
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 1:01:56 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:53:14 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

If this problem persists, I will look into it further but the adblock add-on for chrome seems to be working at this point, aside from the hyperlinked words. Every other issue seems to have been taken care of with that add-on.

I really hope it doesn't come to all that. I've had to run my comp in safe mode before and do the whole dance of restoring or uninstalling windows then reinstalling. It doesn't seem like it will come to that at this point, but I will keep those programs in mind if I do need them.

But the trouble is Adblock Plus is only hiding the virus, it is still there. I remember I had adware on my laptop once, I kept seeing "ads not by this site", forming slowly as a list, because the ads were blocked by ABP, but the virus kept trying to put them there. You should at least try downloading AVG, Avast and Malwarebytes. They are known to pick up on this stuff. Also SuperAntiSpyware is EXCELLENT for detecting undesirable add-ons/extensions. In fact SuperAntiSpyware found several on mine pretty instantly, identifying them before the scan had even started. I assume you've looked at your extensions/add-ons? I do not want to sound excessively dramatic but when there is malware, there NEEDS to be action to tackle it, before it causes damage.

After looking it up, I do believe the highlighted words are most like an extension. I did have this problem once, and trust me you really don't want this to stay on your computer. While adware is typically less serious than other Malware, it can still direct you to malicious sites, and resulting in scams.
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 1:15:05 PM
At 5/4/2014 1:01:56 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:
At 5/4/2014 12:53:14 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

But the trouble is Adblock Plus is only hiding the virus, it is still there. I remember I had adware on my laptop once, I kept seeing "ads not by this site", forming slowly as a list, because the ads were blocked by ABP, but the virus kept trying to put them there. You should at least try downloading AVG, Avast and Malwarebytes. They are known to pick up on this stuff. Also SuperAntiSpyware is EXCELLENT for detecting undesirable add-ons/extensions. In fact SuperAntiSpyware found several on mine pretty instantly, identifying them before the scan had even started. I assume you've looked at your extensions/add-ons? I do not want to sound excessively dramatic but when there is malware, there NEEDS to be action to tackle it, before it causes damage.

You raise valid points and I definitely see the importance of getting rid of the issue rather than just hiding it. Currently I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAnti-Spyware. Those are the two I ran and both came up clean, although in fairness it was a quick scan and not a full scan. I'll download AVG and Avast as well and then let them run a full scan later today.

After looking it up, I do believe the highlighted words are most like an extension. I did have this problem once, and trust me you really don't want this to stay on your computer. While adware is typically less serious than other Malware, it can still direct you to malicious sites, and resulting in scams.

Very true. I'll take your advice and run those additional programs to see if I can catch this thing before it catches up to me.
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 1:21:51 PM
You raise valid points and I definitely see the importance of getting rid of the issue rather than just hiding it. Currently I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAnti-Spyware. Those are the two I ran and both came up clean, although in fairness it was a quick scan and not a full scan. I'll download AVG and Avast as well and then let them run a full scan later today.

Very true. I'll take your advice and run those additional programs to see if I can catch this thing before it catches up to me.

Good :) Remember though that full scans are crucial here. And while I sound dramatic, it is because me and Malware, well we have a history and I have had too much... I would just add a word of caution for AVG, it may have "AVG Secure Search" which comes along with it. Technically this is not actual malware, but is pretty unpleasant. It has no actual negative effects, other than the fact it decides to be your search engine and it decides it will be hard to uninstall. If AVG does decide to install this irritating search engine then https://productforums.google.com... is how to uninstall it. As I say its not actual malware at all and is harmless, its just annoying and unless you know how, hard to get rid of.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 2:00:52 PM
At 5/4/2014 12:32:12 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
At 5/4/2014 12:27:47 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Check yer add-ons and remove any you never added. This shouldn't be happening, and used to happen to me on every website.

Ditto. It is most likely malware. You can usually find it in your control panel -> add and remove programs It may be something like "super ads" or what not.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"