Star Debate Season 1 E1 p4: The Sendoff

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 1:01:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Part 3: http://www.debate.org...

Philo had never felt his heart beat so fast in his life. He was going to die. He'd always dreamed of dying in some sort of great battle or saving someone or something other than just being murdered with the back half of a starship.

He ran a hand over his head and a tear slipped his eye. "Oh, God," he said under his breath, rather sincerely.

He felt a pain in his shin, and all he knew was that he was falling toward the ground. He let himself hit the ground and just lie on the ground for what felt like hours.

Then he looked up. He hadn't tripped on anything, but...

He got up and scrambled over to the area. It was a cloaked device. He touched the top of it and felt a metal casing. Then as he felt down the side of it, there was a piece of glass. That must be part of the bomb.

He had the bomb right in front of him.

What was he supposed to do though? He looked around the room for something he could use to find a way to get around the cloaking device. After about a minute he realized there was nothing he could do to stop it. Not in the few minutes he had.

He only had one thing he could do.

He tapped his comm badge and said, "Captain Airmax, this is Philo."

There was a short silence then an answer, "What is it?"

"The bomb is in my cargo bay."

There was another silence.

"Captain, I can open the cargo bay doors."

That was probably something Airmax had thought of, but you couldn't open the cargo bay doors from the bridge.

"Prepare for a warp jump away from this area," Philo ordered as he walked toward the control panel.

"Lieutenant Philo," Airmax said, "you will be remembered as a man of honor."

"Thank you, sir."

He tapped off his comm badge and got the doors ready. His finger hovered over the button, and he started talking to himself.

"What a trial it is to damn myself even when I am damned. Even though it saves this ship, it is a trial. Even though I save hundreds of lives, it is a trial. When I am released into the dark abyss of space, will it not be more painful than if I had been in the explosion? But how can I even spend the mind to think about such a thing in the face of such a threat? And what a simple form it is that this salvation comes. The push of a button and those lives are saved. Simple seconds seem like nothing to the average observer, but to my eyes they are now the lifespan of my comrades. Those I have worked with, and those I haven't worked with. And what a thought it is that my finger alone will be the personal mechanism by which I save lives. Though mine is lost, I cannot delay anymore. God be with me and the people onboard the Enforcer."

He pushed the button and the cargo bay doors opened. He pushed another and the force field released.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Cargo bay 4 has opened its doors," Endark said.

"Ensign, get us out of here," Airmax said quickly but quietly.

Without a word, Mikal sent the ship into warp 8, just for good measure. The stars blew by them like street lights in the night.

"A moment of silence," Airmax said looking down at the ground. He tapped his badge and said, "Doctor Robert. Lieutenant Philo Christo has been killed in action. Time of death: 13:48 hours."

"I'll write it down, Captain," their chief of medical staff, Classic Robert, responded.

"Thank you, doctor."

A silence fell upon the bridge.

"Mikal, take us back," Airmax said to the ensign.

"Yes, sir," Mikal bit off, probably wanting to fire some torpedoes himself.

"To be clear, Linkish, we had ten minutes to hand over the Enforcer because that's when their main weapon's defense goes out if range, right?"

"Exactly right, sir," Linkish responded.

"Arm the phasers and photon torpedoes," Airmax said stepping back to stand in front of his chair. "And when we're in range, hail them."

"Yes, sir," Linkish said excitedly.

"Lieutenant Commander Rationalist, can you scan the surface and see if there are civilian areas around the defense system."

Endarkened Rationalist typed quickly at the buttons and said, "No, sir. All civilian areas are at least ten miles away from the outer border of their systems."

Airmax turned and looked at Linkish, "The second you see one of their weapons powering up, you destroy it."

"Understood, sir," Linkish replied with a visible smile.

Airmax turned around when they arrived at the planet and said, "Hail them."

"They're not responding." There was a silence filled by the sound of Linkish pushing buttons then, "They're charging weapons."

"Fire," Airmax said immediately.

It was already being done. The sound of photon torpedoes being launched was music to Airmax's ears. He could see on the station where a large blast mark had affected it, and even a chunk out of the top right of the station was gone from the antimatter bomb.

"Sir, now we're being hailed," Linkish said.

The face of Irrow appeared.

Airmax merely stared him down. He held eye contact for five seconds then said, "Irrow, you are hereby under arrest."

"Under what law?" Irrow asked immediately.

Airmax turned around and gave Linkish the signal to cut communication. "Tell the transport room to start beaming them into the brig," he said when Irrow was gone.

"They're working on it, sir," Linkish said after a few key strokes.

"The brig can hold them right?"

"Yes, there were only 20 crew."

"Ensign Mikal, set a course to the nearest Starfleet station, and Linkish, send them a message to let them know what just happened."
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 2:03:01 PM
By the way, I haven't had time to write anything in the second episode, so to those who I said would probably get part 1 tomorrow, sorry it's probably going to be a couple more days.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 5:41:48 PM
Wow. Im following this one! Philo will have a hero's remembrance!
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 10:41:56 PM
At 5/4/2014 4:08:55 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Goodbye, Philo. :(

And hello vengeance.

Great intro! I can't wait to see where the rest of it goes.

Haha thanks, I was pretty happy with the way it turned out :)
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 10:42:25 PM
At 5/4/2014 5:21:53 PM, Romanii wrote:
...lol my response is almost identical to Endark's

Lol true story :p
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 10:43:37 PM
At 5/4/2014 5:22:22 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
You can put me in one of these

Glad I have your permission, because I was going to anyway :P don't worry, you'll probably like your position.
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 10:45:05 PM
At 5/4/2014 5:41:48 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Wow. Im following this one! Philo will have a hero's remembrance!

Haha cool :) you can PM me any time you feel like you can offer a little feedback by the way. I always look to improve.
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 9:40:46 PM
At 5/4/2014 1:01:48 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Philo had never felt his heart beat so fast in his life. He was going to die. He'd always dreamed of dying in some sort of great battle or saving someone or something other than just being murdered with the back half of a starship.

He ran a hand over his head and a tear slipped his eye. "Oh, God," he said under his breath, rather sincerely.

He felt a pain in his shin, and all he knew was that he was falling toward the ground. He let himself hit the ground and just lie on the ground for what felt like hours.

He got up and scrambled over to the area. It was a cloaked device. He touched the top of it and felt a metal casing. Then as he felt down the side of it, there was a piece of glass. That must be part of the bomb.

What was he supposed to do though? He looked around the room for something he could use to find a way to get around the cloaking device. After about a minute he realized there was nothing he could do to stop it. Not in the few minutes he had.

That was probably something Airmax had thought of, but you couldn't open the cargo bay doors from the bridge.

"Prepare for a warp jump away from this area," Philo ordered as he walked toward the control panel.

"Thank you, sir."

He tapped off his comm badge and got the doors ready. His finger hovered over the button, and he started talking to himself.

"What a trial it is to damn myself even when I am damned. Even though it saves this ship, it is a trial. Even though I save hundreds of lives, it is a trial. When I am released into the dark abyss of space, will it not be more painful than if I had been in the explosion? But how can I even spend the mind to think about such a thing in the face of such a threat? And what a simple form it is that this salvation comes. The push of a button and those lives are saved. Simple seconds seem like nothing to the average observer, but to my eyes they are now the lifespan of my comrades. Those I have worked with, and those I haven't worked with. And what a thought it is that my finger alone will be the personal mechanism by which I save lives. Though mine is lost, I cannot delay anymore. God be with me and the people onboard the Enforcer."

He pushed the button and the cargo bay doors opened. He pushed another and the force field released.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without a word, Mikal sent the ship into warp 8, just for good measure. The stars blew by them like street lights in the night.

"A moment of silence," Airmax said looking down at the ground. He tapped his badge and said, "Doctor Robert. Lieutenant Philo Christo has been killed in action. Time of death: 13:48 hours."

"I'll write it down, Captain," their chief of medical staff, Classic Robert, responded.

"Thank you, doctor."

"To be clear, Linkish, we had ten minutes to hand over the Enforcer because that's when their main weapon's defense goes out if range, right?"

"Arm the phasers and photon torpedoes," Airmax said stepping back to stand in front of his chair. "And when we're in range, hail them."

"Lieutenant Commander Rationalist, can you scan the surface and see if there are civilian areas around the defense system."

Endarkened Rationalist typed quickly at the buttons and said, "No, sir. All civilian areas are at least ten miles away from the outer border of their systems."

Airmax turned and looked at Linkish, "The second you see one of their weapons powering up, you destroy it."

"They're not responding." There was a silence filled by the sound of Linkish pushing buttons then, "They're charging weapons."

It was already being done. The sound of photon torpedoes being launched was music to Airmax's ears. He could see on the station where a large blast mark had affected it, and even a chunk out of the top right of the station was gone from the antimatter bomb.

Airmax merely stared him down. He held eye contact for five seconds then said, "Irrow, you are hereby under arrest."

Airmax turned around and gave Linkish the signal to cut communication. "Tell the transport room to start beaming them into the brig," he said when Irrow was gone.

"Ensign Mikal, set a course to the nearest Starfleet station, and Linkish, send them a message to let them know what just happened."

I get the Beatles reference here. Doctor Robert. ;)
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 9:55:17 PM
At 6/1/2014 9:40:46 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 5/4/2014 1:01:48 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

"Thank you, sir."

"Thank you, doctor."

I get the Beatles reference here. Doctor Robert. ;)

Lol that's actually mostly coincidental :P That happened because I signed him up as the chief of medical staff, and he's Classic Robert.
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9