Jump to topic:

Question

DeeAnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 5:11:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hypothetically speaking, if I took a case off of Debate.Org and copied it word for word without consent of the author or any acknowledgements to the author, and I used it for a school project, would it be considered plagiarism?
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 5:16:51 PM
At 5/5/2014 5:11:11 PM, DeeAnn wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, if I took a case off of Debate.Org and copied it word for word without consent of the author or any acknowledgements to the author, and I used it for a school project, would it be considered plagiarism?

Yes.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 5:17:39 PM

That depends on the nature of the project. If you copied somebody's opening statement, and tried to pass it off as your own work in an essay, then yes, that's plagiarism.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
DeeAnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 5:19:38 PM
At 5/5/2014 5:16:51 PM, whiteflame wrote:

Yes.

So how should I acknowledge a case to avoid plagiarism? Should I say From (Username)'s (Pro/Con) case on the issue (Debate title)
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 5:24:35 PM
At 5/5/2014 5:19:38 PM, DeeAnn wrote:

Yes.

So how should I acknowledge a case to avoid plagiarism? Should I say From (Username)'s (Pro/Con) case on the issue (Debate title)

Generally it depends on what citation method you're using. I've used points from here in my debates before - I just cite DDO as a website and, as an in-line citation, mention it as a debating website.
Alternatively, you could use the sources from the cases.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 5:24:43 PM
At 5/5/2014 5:19:38 PM, DeeAnn wrote:

Yes.

That would be sufficient. You might also provide a link if you have a reference section in which to do so. If you're paraphrasing into your own words, however, you normally don't have to cite it. It's only if you're directly copying out and using large sections that you run into trouble.
DeeAnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 5:26:32 PM
Ok thanks. I wouldn't do this (copy a case and cite it) unless I've been procrastinating too much and I have no other way to get a passing grade.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 5:54:38 PM

Depends, what are you using. I'd have to say some of the things on this site are uncreditable.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
DeeAnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 6:12:50 PM
At 5/5/2014 5:54:38 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Depends, what are you using. I'd have to say some of the things on this site are uncreditable.

I wouldn't use an obviously stupid argument.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 4:57:21 AM
At 5/5/2014 6:12:50 PM, DeeAnn wrote:

What argument are you using may I ask?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
DeeAnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 3:55:40 PM
At 5/6/2014 4:57:21 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 5/5/2014 6:12:50 PM, DeeAnn wrote:

What argument are you using may I ask?

I'm not using any argument at the moment.