Jump to topic:

So I'm running for president...

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:15:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I mentioned this a bit ago in a thread asking about folks running for president in the approaching election, but I did not create a forum post about it until now--I felt it was a little early to announce an intention to run. As we get closer to the election, though, I figure it's time to announce my intentions.

I'm running for president.

My platform is simple. Communication and advocacy.

As we all hopefully know, but I'll explain since this is a platform post and newer members may not be aware, the president of DDO is not, inherently, a moderator. In general, presidents have often been moderators, but our current president, TUF, is not a mod. The president's job is to be the interface between our hosts (Juggle) and the users. To communicate both ways: to advocate for the membership at large--and, if necessary, individual members--and to be there to help explain things from a site management perspective.

I want to bring the focus back on that two-way street of communication. I want to create weekly updates on the status of the site. I want to get the users involved, and I have some project ideas I'd like to get off the ground.

Let me be clear: I'm not criticizing TUF or any of the other candidates. However, as arrogant as it makes me feel to say, I feel like I have the free time, the ability, and the desire to make a difference.

I don't have a running mate at present. It is my intention, if I were to win, to extend that offer to the candidate who receives the second-most votes. That way, I feel like I can ensure diversity in my administration, and hopefully have captured a majority of the user's desires. I intend, should I win, to have multiple cabinet positions.

Now, as to those projects I alluded to earlier:

-- I want to expand participation in the less-utilized forums, as well as keep track of the well-utilized forums. To that end, I want to have members "assigned" to each forum. I'd like to have each forum have its own at-least-weekly activity. As of now, for example, who goes to the "Health" forum except to make fun of the spammers? The already active forums have room for improvement, as well--it would be nice if the religion forum had at least one non-arguey post a week, don't you think?

-- I want to make moderation more transparent. This isn't a dig on current moderation; although I know some take issue with it, I do not. However, I believe a balance can be struck with member privacy and transparency such that the users at large can know the types of things which are receiving moderator intervention, even if it is anonymized as much as possible.

-- Similarly, I want to help with codifying expectations. To that end, I want to gather a team for this purpose. I know that it's something that's already being worked on, but I hope to really put some oomph into that effort.

-- I want to talk with Our Hosts, and get some clearer explanations of things. Sometimes, I know, their motivations seem opaque. I'm not one who like being oblique or press-releasy, and I'd like it if we had some more concrete answers. This is dependent on their willingness, of course, but I intend to make, as part of my efforts towards greater communication, weekly Q and A. A sort of "Dear Juggle", if you will.

-- Member outreach. I want to expand the "adopt-a-noob" project, as I think it can really help member outreach.

There are some other projects I'd like to work on, as well, including "event" debates and educational efforts. Some of these are very dependent on what I can manage in terms of permission and participation, so I don't want to go on at length about them necessarily.

As a candidate, I figure I should make some promises. I'm not good at blowing smoke, though, so I'll keep it to things I can actually promise.

So if I should win, I promise:

-- That no debate will go unvoted
-- That there will be weekly updates
-- That everyone who wants to be involved in my admistration, can be involved (With no promises as to the extent, obviously).
-- That transparency and communication will be my priorities.
-- That I will be an advocate for everyone, regardless of whether I agree with them.

With all that said, I know it's a tough battle to beat an incumbent, and that there are plenty of candidates running.

So I'd like any input from ya'll. If you think I'd be terrible at president, tell me. But tell me why, and let me at least try to change your mind (and you might change mine, in which case I'd drop out!).

In the end, I just want to help the site as much as I can, because I love this place. I figure any dialogue about what we all want is good dialogue.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:46:19 PM
Eek. Finally a serious candidate. Best of luck! The platform looks pretty neat as of now, I'll probably have questions later.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:46:29 PM
At 5/7/2014 1:15:54 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

LOL

have fun with that one bud.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:48:05 PM
Finally, a race.

I do have some questions:

1. How realistic is the promise of "no debate will go unvoted?" Can you go into more depth as to how you plan to attain this goal.
2. Can you contrast yourself with TUF? In other words, why should we vote for you and your platform, vice TUF.
3. Why did you decide to run, and who--at this preliminary position--are you planning to include in your cabinet? I ask this in lieu of asking who your VP is, since you plan to announce that ex post facto.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:51:38 PM
Finally, someone I can support.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 1:52:57 PM
Not to be rude, but some of your plans seem to require really high maintenance, although your platform actually looks very impressive. For instance, I fail to see how you would ensure that every single debate is voted on, and so I'm guessing that's under one of your project ideas which were not announced. Moreover, ensuring weekly updates is not that easy because it requires assistance from Juggle and updates, which I don't think are weekly if I understand your usage of the word "updates" correctly. If you mean new announcements, then again I don't see how you would manage to have announcements each week. TUF's weekly announcements turned out to be monthly musings.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 2:06:40 PM
At 5/7/2014 1:46:29 PM, Zaradi wrote:

LOL

Yeah, I would like to know how you plan to implement this, bladerunner.

I'd also like to know the answers to bsh's questions, specifically what you think you will do that TUF would not.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 2:15:31 PM
At 5/7/2014 2:06:40 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/7/2014 1:46:29 PM, Zaradi wrote:

LOL

Yeah, I would like to know how you plan to implement this, bladerunner.

I'd also like to know the answers to bsh's questions, specifically what you think you will do that TUF would not.

It is enough if he was less of an idiot than TUF, who recently thumbed someone for a "well-written" passage of preaching and sermon insults.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 2:20:43 PM
I think the theme song for this thread should be "Everything you can do, TUF can do too, TUF can do everything you can do too."

The comparison between the two doesn't seem to be a good question, because Bladerunner implicitly did show what TUF isn't doing. It doesn't take that much reading skills to deduce that he is planning to have "weekly updates" which are actually weekly and project ideas which are relatively new.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 2:47:15 PM
At 5/7/2014 1:48:05 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Finally, a race.

1. How realistic is the promise of "no debate will go unvoted?" Can you go into more depth as to how you plan to attain this goal.

Well, there's the idealistic answer and the brute-force answer.

The idealistic answer is that I'd like to get a "team" of voters together willing to ensure that every debate gets a vote.

The brute-force answer is that if I'm lucky enough to win, I'm promising that one way or another all debates will get votes if I have to do it all my dang self. I've gone through periods where I've voted on every unvoted debate, so I know I can do it. Obviously, that's not option A, but I feel confident enough that I can include it in my list of promises.

2. Can you contrast yourself with TUF? In other words, why should we vote for you and your platform, vice TUF.

I like TUF, and I don't want to try to stand here and say "he suxors!!1!1!". However, I think I can be better in terms of activity specific to the presidency. Specifically, things like weekly updates and the promise of votes, more generally in a willingness to advance any projects that people are willing to work on. TUF has helped in a lot of ways, and I think he's a fine president, but I feel that his external interests sometimes limit his ability to participate as fully as someone with less of those and/or more free time.

The short, facetious answer is that I have less of a life.

3. Why did you decide to run,

I've thought about running before. When Airmax was president, it was a moot point. He's DDOs FDR. But when he decided not to run last time, I thought about it and decided against it because I'm not necessarily a great politician. I'm a hard worker, I love this place but...I'm not great at being political (For example, I hold an office in my labor union...an appointed office. Everyone loves the work I do, but I'm not good at gladhanding).

However, while, like I said, I don't want to seem like I'm hating on TUF, I think there's some untapped potential in the presidency. When Airmax was president, he had to balance his primary moderation duties with his presidential ones. Now that they're separated at least for the time being, I feel like there's potential to expand the role of the president. Not in terms of what he or she can do (I know some candidates want to agitate for president to get automatic mod powers), but in terms of what he or she does, on a day to day, community interaction basis.

and who--at this preliminary position--are you planning to include in your cabinet? I ask this in lieu of asking who your VP is, since you plan to announce that ex post facto.

I'll be frank: I'm not sure. There are members whose opinions I respect and value. I want them involved. However, I will have specific goals in mind for each cabinet position...it'll be a commitment, and I think it would be getting too far ahead of myself to start listing, or even to ask for that commitment when I've only just announced my own candidacy. Also, I recognize that there are members that I don't already know well enough, and I don't want to seem to preclude them from participation.

If I were lucky enough to win, as soon as I did so I would begin the process of gathering people who are interested in helping into the sort of "Inner Circle" that airmax used to have. That was open to all, as will this--though airmax did not speak out about it being so quite as often as I plan to.

It is my intention to roll out the projects and positions one at a time, because I don't want to ever overextend. I don't want any project to wind up stalling, so I want to make sure that they're well-handled before I move on to the next one. Everyone who wants to be participating in general will be as involved as they'd like to be and, as I see who has the drive, time, and talent, I'll set those folks to be in charge of their respective tasks...obviously with general input and after conferring with my VP.

That's not a fantastic answer, I'll admit--you were clearly hoping I'd give you concrete names. But I've learned that until people actually do, or don't do, the project they express excitement about, it's a bad idea to think "Oh, well, this'll go smoothly!".
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 2:51:35 PM
At 5/7/2014 1:52:57 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Not to be rude, but some of your plans seem to require really high maintenance, although your platform actually looks very impressive. For instance, I fail to see how you would ensure that every single debate is voted on, and so I'm guessing that's under one of your project ideas which were not announced. Moreover, ensuring weekly updates is not that easy because it requires assistance from Juggle and updates, which I don't think are weekly if I understand your usage of the word "updates" correctly. If you mean new announcements, then again I don't see how you would manage to have announcements each week. TUF's weekly announcements turned out to be monthly musings.

I apologize, NiqashMotawadi3, I did not mean "Updates" in terms of site updates. I meant the latter.

I think there's value in HAVING the weekly updates, even if there isn't much to update on, because it reminds members that there's someone here to advocate for them, and gives them a place to express things that they might otherwise "not get around" to saying. Plus, we get new members every week, so I feel it'll be something good for them to see.

But yes, you're right in that there might not always be super-substantive things to include (though I'm hoping that between my intentions to make moderation actions more transparent, and my projects, that there will be), c'mon, I think we all know I'm enough of a blowhard that I really don't see coming up with a weekly update as overly optimistic.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 2:55:36 PM
At 5/7/2014 2:51:35 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I apologize, NiqashMotawadi3, I did not mean "Updates" in terms of site updates. I meant the latter.

I think there's value in HAVING the weekly updates, even if there isn't much to update on, because it reminds members that there's someone here to advocate for them, and gives them a place to express things that they might otherwise "not get around" to saying. Plus, we get new members every week, so I feel it'll be something good for them to see.

But yes, you're right in that there might not always be super-substantive things to include (though I'm hoping that between my intentions to make moderation actions more transparent, and my projects, that there will be), c'mon, I think we all know I'm enough of a blowhard that I really don't see coming up with a weekly update as overly optimistic.

Okay, this clear things up. Because you're going to do constant hard-work, do you think this goes well with your daily activities? Do you work? How many hours do you work? And how many hours do you think you could be available on DDO?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 3:04:33 PM
At 5/7/2014 2:55:36 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 2:51:35 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Okay, this clear things up. Because you're going to do constant hard-work, do you think this goes well with your daily activities? Do you work? How many hours do you work? And how many hours do you think you could be available on DDO?

I work. I'm a paramedic, which in my case means I work 24 hour shifts.

IF it's slow, I can often spend at least some time online. But even worst-case scenario, my schedule works thusly:
On24,
Off24,
On24,
Off24,
On24,

Off for 4 consecutive days. On average, I work 56 hours a week, but only 10 days a month. I have some other training and union-related stuff, but honestly those are usually A, not all day and B, things I need to multitask during to prevent myself from tearing my hair out.

So that basically means I can pretty much always get online 20 days a month for presidential duties and can almost always get on for at least SOME amount of time for the remaining 10.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 3:09:26 PM
At 5/7/2014 2:47:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Finally, a race.

The idealistic answer is that I'd like to get a "team" of voters together willing to ensure that every debate gets a vote.

Again, how realistic is this? I know of similar efforts at this, all of which fizzled out shortly thereafter.

The brute-force answer is that if I'm lucky enough to win, I'm promising that one way or another all debates will get votes if I have to do it all my dang self. I've gone through periods where I've voted on every unvoted debate, so I know I can do it. Obviously, that's not option A, but I feel confident enough that I can include it in my list of promises.

Consider though that as President much more of your time will be consumed by other things on the site. Your list of responsibilities on DDO will intensify, and you will naturally see your free time restricted.

Moreover, I am not sure that I want the President voting on every debate. There is a risk that this could take time away from other important things that a President should be focusing.

I like TUF, and I don't want to try to stand here and say "he suxors!!1!1!". However, I think I can be better in terms of activity specific to the presidency. Specifically, things like weekly updates and the promise of votes, more generally in a willingness to advance any projects that people are willing to work on. TUF has helped in a lot of ways, and I think he's a fine president, but I feel that his external interests sometimes limit his ability to participate as fully as someone with less of those and/or more free time.

Many people have said that TUF works primarily behind the scenes. How can you accurately gauge then, how much TUF is participating?

Besides time commitment, are there any other areas of contrast you can draw? What is your long-term vision for DDO?

However, while, like I said, I don't want to seem like I'm hating on TUF, I think there's some untapped potential in the presidency. When Airmax was president, he had to balance his primary moderation duties with his presidential ones. Now that they're separated at least for the time being, I feel like there's potential to expand the role of the president. Not in terms of what he or she can do (I know some candidates want to agitate for president to get automatic mod powers), but in terms of what he or she does, on a day to day, community interaction basis.

Can you go more in depth here?

and who--at this preliminary position--are you planning to include in your cabinet? I ask this in lieu of asking who your VP is, since you plan to announce that ex post facto.

I'll be frank: I'm not sure. There are members whose opinions I respect and value. I want them involved. However, I will have specific goals in mind for each cabinet position...it'll be a commitment, and I think it would be getting too far ahead of myself to start listing, or even to ask for that commitment when I've only just announced my own candidacy. Also, I recognize that there are members that I don't already know well enough, and I don't want to seem to preclude them from participation.

You're right...I'm not quite satisfied with this answer. Part of any good leader is picking good people to surround yourself with. A VP selection is important because it not only because it is the VP, but because it gives some insight into the candidate themselves. By not proffering any names whatsoever, it makes it hard for me to envision what a Blade administration would be like.

It's like you're selling me a car...on the outside it may look great, but if the parts on the inside don't click, I don't want to buy it.

It is my intention to roll out the projects and positions one at a time, because I don't want to ever overextend. I don't want any project to wind up stalling, so I want to make sure that they're well-handled before I move on to the next one. Everyone who wants to be participating in general will be as involved as they'd like to be and, as I see who has the drive, time, and talent, I'll set those folks to be in charge of their respective tasks...obviously with general input and after conferring with my VP.

With what projects would you start? How would they be run? How would they be implemented?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 3:34:52 PM
At 5/7/2014 3:09:26 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Finally, a race.

Again, how realistic is this? I know of similar efforts at this, all of which fizzled out shortly thereafter.

I agree. I'd like to take the rosy-picture view and blow smoke that "THis time, I pwomise it'll work!"

But I won't do that. I hope it will, I will devote time to trying to make it, but if it doesn't, I can promise that the votes'll happen.

Consider though that as President much more of your time will be consumed by other things on the site. Your list of responsibilities on DDO will intensify, and you will naturally see your free time restricted.

Moreover, I am not sure that I want the President voting on every debate. There is a risk that this could take time away from other important things that a President should be focusing.

Well, not every debate goes unvoted. I'm not promising to vote on every debate, just that every debate will get voted on.

Many people have said that TUF works primarily behind the scenes. How can you accurately gauge then, how much TUF is participating?

I can't--but that's part of my problem. I think the presidency should be as transparent as is possible.

Besides time commitment, are there any other areas of contrast you can draw? What is your long-term vision for DDO?

Long-term, I would honestly like to see our debates and community expand. I'd like to try to get some public figures (I'm not ambitious enough to claim SUPER famous public figures, but public figures nonetheless) to participate in a debate or two to class up the joint. I'd like to set up more of the chat sessions that are almost always popular, but often seem to fizzle out (I'm looking at you, live mafia!). I'd like it if we could get some more educational efforts going--at various times we've had gluts of high school students sent here by their teachers, I'd like to expand on that.

But those things require talking to Juggle and they require effort, and they may fizzle despite my best efforts, which is part of why I didn't go into too much depth in terms of long-term goals. Each term is 6 months, and while I could give you pies in the sky, I don't want to be full of crap.

Weekly updates seem to fizzle. As you noted, there's a perception that TUF does much of his work behind the scenes. I'm not denigrating that work, and assume it's darn fine work, but I think that the president should be transparent. I think keeping lanes of communication open like the weekly updates is important--they often seem to fizzle, and I intend NOT to let them fizzle. Even when there isn't tons to update on, just having those updates is important.

I feel like it's been very easy to get lost in a "behind the scenes" role.

But I believe the presidency should make it a point to be as public as possible The president is the liason between Juggle and the site, a two-way street. I want no one to have to wonder what I've been up to. Some things may be held back, obviously, for member privacy or security reasons etc., and I'm not dumb enough to violate THAT, but I'd like to get as close to being fully transparent as is reasonably feasible.

Weekly updates, more opportunities for live interaction, and public projects are the means I want to use to keep that goal of transparency and communication in sight.

You're right...I'm not quite satisfied with this answer. Part of any good leader is picking good people to surround yourself with. A VP selection is important because it not only because it is the VP, but because it gives some insight into the candidate themselves. By not proffering any names whatsoever, it makes it hard for me to envision what a Blade administration would be like.

It's like you're selling me a car...on the outside it may look great, but if the parts on the inside don't click, I don't want to buy it.

Fair points. The biggest thing holding me back is that it's easy to get someone to SAY they commit. But I don't want to find out I've been blowing smoke. I know I can trust myself and what I promise. I'm less comfortable making promises that others will keep.

But you're right. I should start reaching out now. Now that I've announced, I suppose it's more reasonable to ask those who'd be willing to help me to commit to doing so. While I don't want to announce a full slate, I will respond with more detail when those folks get back to me.

With what projects would you start? How would they be run? How would they be implemented?

(cont'd)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 3:45:27 PM
At 5/7/2014 3:34:52 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Finally, a race.

I agree. I'd like to take the rosy-picture view and blow smoke that "THis time, I pwomise it'll work!"

But I won't do that. I hope it will, I will devote time to trying to make it, but if it doesn't, I can promise that the votes'll happen.

So it is less of a promise, and more of a goal?

Well, not every debate goes unvoted. I'm not promising to vote on every debate, just that every debate will get voted on.

Granted. But the volume of unvoted debates is still fairly hefty, and there are more constructive ways I would want the President to spend his time.

I can't--but that's part of my problem. I think the presidency should be as transparent as is possible.

Yet, I think for everything you've said, I don't believe TUF has led a cloistered administration. All of his updates have been publicly discussed, and he's hasn't done a bad job at communicating.

Long-term, I would honestly like to see our debates and community expand. I'd like to try to get some public figures (I'm not ambitious enough to claim SUPER famous public figures, but public figures nonetheless) to participate in a debate or two to class up the joint. I'd like to set up more of the chat sessions that are almost always popular, but often seem to fizzle out (I'm looking at you, live mafia!). I'd like it if we could get some more educational efforts going--at various times we've had gluts of high school students sent here by their teachers, I'd like to expand on that.

I really am not sure I like the latter half of that...I don't want DDO to turn into one of those classroom learning sites.

Fair points. The biggest thing holding me back is that it's easy to get someone to SAY they commit. But I don't want to find out I've been blowing smoke. I know I can trust myself and what I promise. I'm less comfortable making promises that others will keep.

But you're right. I should start reaching out now. Now that I've announced, I suppose it's more reasonable to ask those who'd be willing to help me to commit to doing so. While I don't want to announce a full slate, I will respond with more detail when those folks get back to me.

Yes, I really need a lot more info here.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 3:54:03 PM
Bsh1 is pretty much covering any questions I could pose myself. I will say that you are the first member I'm actually considering as a serious candidate. The guarantee of votes does seem a little far-fetched considering the vast amount of debates and time it would require to truly carry-out, but I really like the idea of weekly updates on the state of the site as well as the idea of having certain members focus on keeping the integrity of topic-specific forums alive and well.

TUF seems "extremely" behind-the-scenes as a President. I've only recently joined so my opinion carries little to no weight but personally I would enjoy seeing a more "active" President. I use the term "active" carefully though because I am aware of the good that TUF has accomplished before my joining DDO. Overall, I look forward to seeing the progression of your campaign and wish you the best of luck in this pursuit!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 4:52:20 PM
I still have two questions.

(1) How do you plan to increase the amount of voting? Promising to personally vote on every debate if elected seems like unrealistic pandering. Do you have a plan that involves incentivizing other people to vote?

(2) TUF appears to have been instrumental in getting the voting update through Juggle. What would your approach be to get Juggle to do stuff? And what updates would be your top priority?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 6:15:31 PM
At 5/7/2014 3:45:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Finally, a race.

No. I promise that there will not go debates without a vote. The GOAL is that it doesn't have to be just me doing it, because it WILL suck if that ends up being the case. But it's my plan B.

Granted. But the volume of unvoted debates is still fairly hefty, and there are more constructive ways I would want the President to spend his time.

Honestly, it isn't if you stay on it. Like I said, I did it for awhile. I only stopped because I got bored of doing it, and it's not as though I was obliged--there was a point where all the debates in the voting period were forfeits, and I didn't bother.

Yet, I think for everything you've said, I don't believe TUF has led a cloistered administration. All of his updates have been publicly discussed, and he's hasn't done a bad job at communicating.

I think in a perfect world he could outreach more. As Niqash noted, his weekly updates have slowed. He certainly isn't hiding anything, but I think more effort could be put in to public statements.

I mean: what has he done in the last month? I'm absolutely positive the answer to that isn't "nothing". I'm positive he works hard. But I think there's benefit in making it a point to get out there and explain things, every week--more often, when practical.

I really am not sure I like the latter half of that...I don't want DDO to turn into one of those classroom learning sites.

I don't want it to turn into a classroom learning site, either. But I would like to see some education. At various times, there have been attempts to create educational posts. I don't think there's any reason NOT to have more of that. I'd like to see it get easier to get better at debating through means OTHER than trial and error.

Yes, I really need a lot more info here.

Indeed. And I haven't forgotten your request to know my first priorities post-election--I'll reply to both shortly.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 6:32:16 PM
At 5/7/2014 4:52:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:

(1) How do you plan to increase the amount of voting? Promising to personally vote on every debate if elected seems like unrealistic pandering. Do you have a plan that involves incentivizing other people to vote?

I don't think it's unrealistic pandering. I admit, the brute-force method I outlined isn't my ideal system, but I think I can do it--there REALLY aren't that many debates, on a day to day basis, going into the voting period.

I do hope to get some quality voters who make it a point to vote. And yes, that would involve recognition. The Hall of Fame, right now, focuses on debates that get you into the hall of fame, and reference to the member's general contributions. The main incentives I'd like to implement would be through site updates (some of them not particularly BIG site updates, but updates nonetheless)--I'd like it if the avatar-sidebar of forum posts gave the total number of debates, as well as the total number of votes, for example.

(2) TUF appears to have been instrumental in getting the voting update through Juggle. What would your approach be to get Juggle to do stuff? And what updates would be your top priority?

To be honest, I don't think anyone who hasn't BEEN president can go on at length about how to deal with Juggle. Obviously, I can say "Oh, I'll just convince them through my awesome ideas", but it's dependent on their receptiveness. I know part of TUF's success was his ability to do at least some of the work for them--I would be happy to do that, as well.

As to what updates I'd like to focus on: Frankly, I'd like them to focus on the site's stability. It's been a little bit since we've had something too dramatic happen, but we all know that there have been some issues lately. But in terms of new features: I'd like to push for fixing the copying from word-processors. I'd like to push for the relatively-dumb-but-also-relatively-simple implementation of things like recognition forum badges. I'd like them to expand the RFD space. But those are my personal preferences.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 7:06:12 PM
Well, bsh1 and bluesteel seem to be handling interrogating you over your policies by themselves pretty well, so I won't bother.
I will just say that thus far, I've been rather impressed by your answers to their inquiries and am definitely seriously considering voting for you over TUF.
Good luck! :D
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:01:57 PM
At 5/7/2014 6:15:31 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 3:45:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Finally, a race.

No. I promise that there will not go debates without a vote. The GOAL is that it doesn't have to be just me doing it, because it WILL suck if that ends up being the case. But it's my plan B.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy that this is a promise you, or frankly anyone, will be able to keep.

I don't want it to turn into a classroom learning site, either. But I would like to see some education. At various times, there have been attempts to create educational posts. I don't think there's any reason NOT to have more of that. I'd like to see it get easier to get better at debating through means OTHER than trial and error.

I think there are already a lot of educational posts/debates/discussions taking place on DDO. What would you propose that is different than the status quo?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:15:13 PM
At 5/7/2014 6:32:16 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I don't think it's unrealistic pandering. I admit, the brute-force method I outlined isn't my ideal system, but I think I can do it--there REALLY aren't that many debates, on a day to day basis, going into the voting period.

I like these answers for the most part. I like that you have so much time to devote to the site and my perception of your dedication. But I think you need a better plan for increasing voting -- if one exists. A Hall of Fame is a bit of an incentive, but not enough. And while you may vote on every single debate for a couple of months, I don't think that's sustainable long term.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:17:18 PM
At 5/7/2014 9:15:13 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I like these answers for the most part. I like that you have so much time to devote to the site and my perception of your dedication. But I think you need a better plan for increasing voting -- if one exists. A Hall of Fame is a bit of an incentive, but not enough. And while you may vote on every single debate for a couple of months, I don't think that's sustainable long term.

I still think the DDO gambling ring would be brilliant for that if it were implemented into site code.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:30:15 PM
At 5/7/2014 9:17:18 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I still think the DDO gambling ring would be brilliant for that if it were implemented into site code.

whats that?
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:32:10 PM

Do you think it's possible for voting to be factored into elo?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:35:48 PM
Finally, a race.

I was just wondering, what efforts were similar to this?

Even though I'm not running, I'm curious as to know if it would be possible for Juggle to add a feature to create notifications for when there are "X" (e.g. 3) days or less for debates to the president and theoretical team of voters.

It would clean up having to look and search for debates in the voting period.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:38:09 PM
At 5/7/2014 9:35:48 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
Finally, a race.

Even though I'm not running, I'm curious as to know if it would be possible for Juggle to add a feature to create notifications for when there are "X" (e.g. 3) days or less for debates to the president and theoretical team of voters.

This is an interesting proposal. I believe someone attempted to organize a voting squad. TUF would highlight debates worthy of votes as well early on in his administration.

I think the notification idea is good, but it may be slow to implement. It is pushing it to say that Blade could achieve all of this in his first term.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:40:48 PM
At 5/7/2014 9:35:48 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
Finally, a race.

We already something similar where you can get a notification whenever a debate initially goes into the voting period.
However, I highly doubt anyone would be interested in constantly receiving notifications like that and then having to act on it.