Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

I'm gonna run for president

larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:08:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hey there!

I'm Larz. I'm a tournament-winning debater, and a web developer by trade. Many people will know me because I run edeb8.com, a debating website with a smaller community but more features. Some of you who have been around for a while will know that I was also among the earliest advocates for voting reform and more transparency.

Debate is one of the most important things that this world today needs, and I firmly believe online debate is the future of debating. This site will be a part of that. My track record is a long history of pushing for improvements to online debate, particularly through DDO. I'm a debater at heart.

I don't think I need to justify those credentials in too much depth. I've been on this site since longer than airmax and have been pushing for tons of different things since then, going all the way back to the campaign for increasing the RFD character limit. The president's job is to be the community's spokesperson, to voice these concerns to the good folks at Juggle and ensure members are welcomed, treated well and have an overall positive experience on the site. It's really important that you vote, whoever you vote for.

So what am I going to do as president?

>> You know how every president since airmax has promised weekly updates and not delivered? That was my idea originally - and I'm going to make sure these updates happen! Some things I want to include in these roundups are debates that really need votes, spotlights on members (especially good voters) and more.

>> And I'm going to go one step further because I love transparency - I'll direct a regular youtube show (at least once every two weeks) where I'll discuss what's going on with the site, a couple of member interviews, and tips + encouragement for new debaters. And I promise it'll be really high quality too! I have a fair deal of experience as a debate coach, but I also want to get users sharing each others expertise in how to make a great argument.

>> More interesting official tournaments! I want to host a pro-am tournament, a shadow world's tournament, and I want to encourage other members in setting up their own tournaments. Pro-ams are really cool - basically we pair up experienced and new debaters, and they work together in every round! Really helps the less experienced debaters develop and is a lot of fun for the pros. I'm a big supporter of more formats of debate being used on this site, like team and video debates.

>> Together with TUF, as of yesterday, I've been selected to help develop the DDOfans project, which will provide a platform for us to do things together as a community. A place for us to:
> Live chat
> Go blogging about debate and stuff
> Go wagering on debaters (pretty much ClassicRobert's idea - I already have the code for this done, just need to put it somewhere)
> And much, much more!

>> Encourage dialogue with users who don't go on the forums. The forum community is but a small part of DDO as a whole - we need to get those people on the opinions and polls and get them to start actually debating.

>> Advocacy for users, particularly in pushing for features that will benefit quality of debate on the site, and in having a minimally-restrictive moderation policy (while still keeping the community safe).

>> Everybody who votes for me will get a free pony.

I don't just have ideas - I have the proven skills and experience to put all this stuff into action. And I really listen to users and their ideas of what can be done, and help them to make it a reality. When trouble strikes with the moderators and such, I'm not afraid to take a stand for this community's benefit.

Let me just address some of the concerns you might have. I want to be especially honest about my weaknesses and what exactly I will do to handle them.

First, about my time. With the number of projects I work on at once, you can be assured that I have a lot of experience managing my time and splitting it appropriately between different projects of mine. I'm not kidding when I say there is nothing more important or meaningful in my life than online debate.

Second, some of you will undoubtedly think I have a conflict of interest, as I also run another debate site. In fact, edeb8 is an entirely different kind of site. Whereas this site is positioned towards the masses and all their opinions, my edeb8 site is there for serious, formal debates. Edeb8 has a lot of options and advanced features that DDO doesn't, but DDO's strength is in the broad base of its community. People looking for an online debating experience will gravitate towards one or the other naturally - there is no competition.

Third, a few of you might remember I once made a promise not to get involved in DDO politics ever again after my last presidential run left me attacked unfairly. That's a promise I regret to go back on, because that incident actually did scar me really bad. What's guiding me here is hope - hope that people will be nicer this time around. That maybe we can be constructive about things and work out what's best for the site collaboratively.

Fourth, in the last election I was asked why I couldn't do the stuff I promised if not elected. Some of you will remember that I was not elected and yet did much of the stuff I promised anyway. I also launched edeb8 in that time, which was the single most revolutionary thing to happen in online debating that year. I can't promise everything if not elected, but I always try to be a good and useful member of the community.

I think TUF was a president who always tried his best for the site, and will be missed by the community. But I also always think we can do better.

Please feel free to ask me anything. I'll also see if any other candidate(s) will be willing to engage in presidential debates and/or hangouts. If you like my campaign and want to be a part of it, just send me a message. And if you don't like it, please be constructive and tell me how you think it could be improved!

Thanks everybody!
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:14:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 4:12:14 AM, Zaradi wrote:
One question:

What happens to edeb8 if you get elected on here?

Nothing. It continues and will be developed further.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:19:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 4:18:34 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 5/9/2014 4:17:41 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Another question: what kind of pony?

A free pony

Breed? Will I need to purchase land in order to house it or will the accommodations be provided?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:25:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 4:19:46 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Breed? Will I need to purchase land in order to house it or will the accommodations be provided?

Can't promise a specific breed, but it'll probably be cute. You may choose not to accept the pony, and I'll make sure it finds a nice home somewhere else, if you cannot be accommodating.
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:27:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Jeez what an announcement. At this point no matter who wins I see the site going in a great direction.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:44:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I still remember our Mongol-Europe debate. You've got my vote.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:48:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 4:44:08 AM, Smithereens wrote:
However I would like to see you active on the forums, its where a lot of mod activity is needed.

Site president doesn't really mean site moderator. It's one of the more confusing things for newer members so I thought I'd clear that up.

I consider myself a forum lurker. I'm very serious about debating, voting, and development, so I don't have time for many posts, but I do always try to contribute when something important comes up. I'm proud to say that I've been there for some of the biggest events in the DDO forum's history.

If elected, however, I will make myself more visible on the forums. It's important for the president to be spearheading intriguing discussions and making sure other members know that I'll be there for them if they ever need me.
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:28:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Nice larz!
And you're one of the 3 to defeat Raisor in a serious debate!
Well done!
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 6:14:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
>> Everybody who votes for me will get a free pony.

*squints eyes*

I better get my pony... :P Lol.

--

Honestly, I think you'll make a president. I checked out your site yesterday, as a matter of fact (before you posted this), and I must admit, I was shocked that it has a smaller community than DDO.

Though the temptation to join was great, I really like it here, so Ima chill here. :)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Romanii
Posts: 4,857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:22:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:28:43 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
Nice larz!
And you're one of the 3 to defeat Raisor in a serious debate!
Well done!

...why are you so obsessed with who's won against who? XD
YYW
Posts: 36,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:33:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 4:08:56 AM, larztheloser wrote:
Hey there!

I think you're probably a nice enough guy, but aren't you running your own debate site? Wouldn't being president of this site present a conflict of interest with your site?
Tsar of DDO
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:37:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 1:33:08 PM, YYW wrote:

I think you're probably a nice enough guy, but aren't you running your own debate site? Wouldn't being president of this site present a conflict of interest with your site?

Good morning! If you read the rest of my post I address that issue specifically. Here's the part you're looking for:

Second, some of you will undoubtedly think I have a conflict of interest, as I also run another debate site. In fact, edeb8 is an entirely different kind of site. Whereas this site is positioned towards the masses and all their opinions, my edeb8 site is there for serious, formal debates. Edeb8 has a lot of options and advanced features that DDO doesn't, but DDO's strength is in the broad base of its community. People looking for an online debating experience will gravitate towards one or the other naturally - there is no competition.
YYW
Posts: 36,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:41:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:37:21 PM, larztheloser wrote:
At 5/9/2014 1:33:08 PM, YYW wrote:

I think you're probably a nice enough guy, but aren't you running your own debate site? Wouldn't being president of this site present a conflict of interest with your site?

Good morning! If you read the rest of my post I address that issue specifically. Here's the part you're looking for:

Second, some of you will undoubtedly think I have a conflict of interest, as I also run another debate site. In fact, edeb8 is an entirely different kind of site. Whereas this site is positioned towards the masses and all their opinions, my edeb8 site is there for serious, formal debates. Edeb8 has a lot of options and advanced features that DDO doesn't, but DDO's strength is in the broad base of its community. People looking for an online debating experience will gravitate towards one or the other naturally - there is no competition.

That the sites are not identical doesn't mean that you don't have a conflict of interest, though.
Tsar of DDO
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:44:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I regret not having voted for you the last time you ran for election. Seeing what you have done with Edeb8 tells me that you really can deliver with what you say. Although I still don't you are a great president socially, I do think you would be a magnificent president n terms f fighting for a better DDO.

You will be putting up a great competition against TUF for my, and hopefully anyone's vote.
Nolite Timere
YYW
Posts: 36,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:45:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:44:31 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
I regret not having voted for you the last time you ran for election. Seeing what you have done with Edeb8 tells me that you really can deliver with what you say. Although I still don't you are a great president socially, I do think you would be a magnificent president n terms f fighting for a better DDO.

You will be putting up a great competition against TUF for my, and hopefully anyone's vote.

TUF isn't running.
Tsar of DDO
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:49:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:45:54 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/9/2014 5:44:31 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
I regret not having voted for you the last time you ran for election. Seeing what you have done with Edeb8 tells me that you really can deliver with what you say. Although I still don't you are a great president socially, I do think you would be a magnificent president n terms f fighting for a better DDO.

You will be putting up a great competition against TUF for my, and hopefully anyone's vote.

TUF isn't running.

Oh. When did he resign from running again?
Nolite Timere
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:50:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:41:55 PM, YYW wrote:

That the sites are not identical doesn't mean that you don't have a conflict of interest, though.

I listed it under my weaknesses for a reason - I'm very aware of it. However, I consider it a minor weakness. Work I may do to improve the community here does not detract from the work I do on edeb8, and work I do to improve edeb8 does not detract from ddo. Because the sites fulfill fundamentally different roles in the world of online debating there's no chance of me really poaching people from one site or the other. Ultimately this is my community as much as edeb8, and I want this community to thrive just as much.
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:50:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 7:49:36 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Damn. Not sure who to vote for anymore.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
YYW
Posts: 36,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:50:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:50:18 PM, larztheloser wrote:
At 5/9/2014 5:41:55 PM, YYW wrote:

That the sites are not identical doesn't mean that you don't have a conflict of interest, though.

I listed it under my weaknesses for a reason - I'm very aware of it. However, I consider it a minor weakness. Work I may do to improve the community here does not detract from the work I do on edeb8, and work I do to improve edeb8 does not detract from ddo. Because the sites fulfill fundamentally different roles in the world of online debating there's no chance of me really poaching people from one site or the other. Ultimately this is my community as much as edeb8, and I want this community to thrive just as much.

Well, I guess we'll have to let the voters decide!
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:51:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:49:48 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 5/9/2014 5:45:54 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/9/2014 5:44:31 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
I regret not having voted for you the last time you ran for election. Seeing what you have done with Edeb8 tells me that you really can deliver with what you say. Although I still don't you are a great president socially, I do think you would be a magnificent president n terms f fighting for a better DDO.

You will be putting up a great competition against TUF for my, and hopefully anyone's vote.

TUF isn't running.

Oh. When did he resign from running again?

http://www.debate.org...
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:57:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:50:18 PM, larztheloser wrote:
At 5/9/2014 5:41:55 PM, YYW wrote:

That the sites are not identical doesn't mean that you don't have a conflict of interest, though.

I listed it under my weaknesses for a reason - I'm very aware of it. However, I consider it a minor weakness. Work I may do to improve the community here does not detract from the work I do on edeb8, and work I do to improve edeb8 does not detract from ddo. Because the sites fulfill fundamentally different roles in the world of online debating there's no chance of me really poaching people from one site or the other. Ultimately this is my community as much as edeb8, and I want this community to thrive just as much.

Hey Larz,

Really happy to hear you announce. I think both you and bladerunner are great candidates.

But I'm a little confused on your answer to the conflict issue. If I wanted to have a debate with another serious debater from DDO (e.g. anyone who formerly did debate, which is a lot of the serious membership), would you really prefer that I have such a debate on DDO and not edeb8? Would you never encourage me to try edeb8? Is your response that you simply will -- as a matter of policy -- not ever promote edeb8 on DDO, whether publicly or privately? I'm just not quite clear on this. It seems more realistic to me if you were to say, "yes, there is a conflict, but I think serious debaters will use both sites. I don't see them as being mutually exclusive." Your current answer makes it sound a little like as soon as someone gets "good enough," they should switch to edeb8 since it's for more serious debaters and has more options.

I'm also curious how your ownership of a competing site would affect your relationship with Juggle, which seems to be an important part of the presidency.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 6:00:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:57:48 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/9/2014 5:50:18 PM, larztheloser wrote:
At 5/9/2014 5:41:55 PM, YYW wrote:

That the sites are not identical doesn't mean that you don't have a conflict of interest, though.

I listed it under my weaknesses for a reason - I'm very aware of it. However, I consider it a minor weakness. Work I may do to improve the community here does not detract from the work I do on edeb8, and work I do to improve edeb8 does not detract from ddo. Because the sites fulfill fundamentally different roles in the world of online debating there's no chance of me really poaching people from one site or the other. Ultimately this is my community as much as edeb8, and I want this community to thrive just as much.

Hey Larz,

Really happy to hear you announce. I think both you and bladerunner are great candidates.

But I'm a little confused on your answer to the conflict issue. If I wanted to have a debate with another serious debater from DDO (e.g. anyone who formerly did debate, which is a lot of the serious membership), would you really prefer that I have such a debate on DDO and not edeb8? Would you never encourage me to try edeb8? Is your response that you simply will -- as a matter of policy -- not ever promote edeb8 on DDO, whether publicly or privately? I'm just not quite clear on this. It seems more realistic to me if you were to say, "yes, there is a conflict, but I think serious debaters will use both sites. I don't see them as being mutually exclusive." Your current answer makes it sound a little like as soon as someone gets "good enough," they should switch to edeb8 since it's for more serious debaters and has more options.

I'm also curious how your ownership of a competing site would affect your relationship with Juggle, which seems to be an important part of the presidency.

e.g. Twitter and Facebook being "competing" social networking sites, but they don't really compete all that much.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 6:20:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:57:48 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Hey Larz,

Really happy to hear you announce. I think both you and bladerunner are great candidates.

But I'm a little confused on your answer to the conflict issue. If I wanted to have a debate with another serious debater from DDO (e.g. anyone who formerly did debate, which is a lot of the serious membership), would you really prefer that I have such a debate on DDO and not edeb8? Would you never encourage me to try edeb8? Is your response that you simply will -- as a matter of policy -- not ever promote edeb8 on DDO, whether publicly or privately? I'm just not quite clear on this. It seems more realistic to me if you were to say, "yes, there is a conflict, but I think serious debaters will use both sites. I don't see them as being mutually exclusive." Your current answer makes it sound a little like as soon as someone gets "good enough," they should switch to edeb8 since it's for more serious debaters and has more options.

I'm also curious how your ownership of a competing site would affect your relationship with Juggle, which seems to be an important part of the presidency.

Hey, great questions.

First of all, I currently already have a pretty good relationship with Juggle. Edeb8 doesn't really affect it, and I would expect that to stay the same. I've spent far more time on DDO than on edeb8, and this is a community I love a lot more, even if I'm proud of my achievements there.

I wouldn't talk about edeb8 in my role as president unless I'm asked about it, and I wouldn't directly promote it. My profile makes people aware that it exists and invites people to check it out. With edeb8 specifically I don't believe I'll ever need to do more than that - my goal with edeb8 is just awareness and quite frankly, I think people are already generally aware, so there's no more work to do. Unlike Juggle more views is actually a bad thing for edeb8 (because I don't have ads and more bandwidth slows the site down + my budget is unbelievably tiny), so I want to keep it to no more than about 50 active members, and if we have less than that I'm not too fussed.

If you wanted to have a debate with another serious debater from DDO, I would prefer you to have it on DDO. You're both DDO debaters, so it makes no sense to switch. If you had both been on Edeb8, I would have preferred Edeb8. As I said people will naturally gravitate to the site that's most suitable for the experience they're looking for, so if you want a DDO-style debate, do it on DDO. If one had been on DDO and one on Edeb8, I wouldn't get involved in the discussion, and leave it up to what the debaters want from the debate. Both sites offer a great experience. And you're right, they're not mutually exclusive, and most debaters on Edeb8 are on DDO as well. As a matter of policy I'll be open about both sites and what they offer, I won't talk about Edeb8 when I'm talking about DDO (in the youtube show for example) unless somebody asks me about it, and I think people will decide for themselves. I still think I can be great at speaking up for this community while also managing a different community.