Jump to topic:

This round is impossible to accept

fishinbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:29:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What's the deal with everyone posting "this round is impossible to accept, please comment if you are interested in debating"? I don't really understand the point of it. Is it just an underhanded framework trick? IE if neg accepts definitions/framework does pro then say "you accepted my framework/definitions, so you concede that this debate is impossible to accept and I win"
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 2:03:50 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:29:45 PM, fishinbub wrote:
What's the deal with everyone posting "this round is impossible to accept, please comment if you are interested in debating"? I don't really understand the point of it. Is it just an underhanded framework trick? IE if neg accepts definitions/framework does pro then say "you accepted my framework/definitions, so you concede that this debate is impossible to accept and I win"

It's usually to ensure a competent debater will accept the debate. Having people who don't know the subject... Or are likely to just forfeit a hard worked round is a waste of time...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 2:10:58 PM

Pretty much what Envisage said. Usually people who do it are looking for a specific kind of person to accept the debate or are looking for someone that they know/think won't forfeit or just troll the debate. It's not anything underhanded.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 2:30:48 PM

Whenever you start a debate, you can choose what types of people you want to be able to accept the challenge - like people who've completed X number of debates or say they are above a certain age. This is in the 'advanced options' section when you start a debate. Basically, what these people are doing is using these rules to make it impossible to accept (like requiring all accepters to be 100 years old and have completed 500 debates). Once someone has said they want to debate, the proposer will change it so only that person can accept the challenge. The reason for doing this isn't to make the debate impossible to win, but make it so the debate proposer can be sure they'll have a fairly competent opponent, rather than someone who might troll or forfeit the debate.

If you are interested in debating someone who has their debate set like this, say so in the comments and explain why. If they won't let you, you can always propose your own debate on the topic, or find another debate that isn't closed. :)