Jump to topic:

Kbub*Whiteflame 2014!

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:29:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am pleased to announce that I and whiteflame will be running for president and vice president respectively! We would be honored to serve DDO during the next term. Thanks for all your support!
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:45:32 PM
At 5/9/2014 7:29:18 PM, kbub wrote:
I am pleased to announce that I and whiteflame will be running for president and vice president respectively! We would be honored to serve DDO during the next term. Thanks for all your support!

Why has whiteflame endorsed you as opposed to a different candidate?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:49:21 PM
At 5/9/2014 7:45:32 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I feel kbub could do a good job in this position, as I feel he's got a proactive attitude and is realistic in his outlook, but it also helps that I'm on the ticket to modify that system and keep it running smoothly. It's not so much that I haven't heard good ideas from the other candidates, I'm just not convinced on the follow-through yet.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:51:10 PM
At 5/9/2014 7:49:21 PM, whiteflame wrote:

I feel kbub could do a good job in this position, as I feel he's got a proactive attitude and is realistic in his outlook, but it also helps that I'm on the ticket to modify that system and keep it running smoothly. It's not so much that I haven't heard good ideas from the other candidates, I'm just not convinced on the follow-through yet.

How do you mean?
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:52:47 PM

So you prefer kbub over larz and bladerunner and wouldn't consider running on either of their tickets or being part of their administration?

What about kbub makes you think he's more motivated? Larz loves this site so much that when it wouldn't let him implement a new proposed feature, he programmed an entire new site so that debaters would have a way to have access to that feature if they wanted it. The guy lives and breathes debate. Bladerunner basically has said he has no life outside of DDO; he only works like 8 days a month. He'd devote like 22 days per month to the site. What convinced you that kbub is going to be more dedicated than either of them?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:54:46 PM
At 5/9/2014 7:51:10 PM, YYW wrote:

How do you mean?

Which part are you asking about?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:57:51 PM
At 5/9/2014 7:54:46 PM, whiteflame wrote:

How do you mean?

Your not convinced about other candidate's follow-through. I mean, for some I can understand that but for Bladerunner? He's one of the most detail oriented finish-all-things-by-any-means-necesisary kind of people I've met on the site...
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:58:37 PM

I'm surprised you endorsed her. Is she going to push for people to be banned for saying the word idiot, because the mentally disabled if the studied the history of the word will be offended?

Will he move to Ban people for being closet races, based on maybe a confederate flag avatar or something even more subtle that he somehow interprets as racist?

I like Kbub, but she's not fit for that position. If she ran as your Vice President I'd probably reconsider and you guys would have respectable ticket.

How I see it now. Kbub couldn't provide site updates without it turning into a flame war and he couldn't accurately portray the voice of the people as well as you could.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:58:58 PM
At 5/9/2014 7:52:47 PM, bluesteel wrote:

So you prefer kbub over larz and bladerunner and wouldn't consider running on either of their tickets or being part of their administration?

What about kbub makes you think he's more motivated? Larz loves this site so much that when it wouldn't let him implement a new proposed feature, he programmed an entire new site so that debaters would have a way to have access to that feature if they wanted it. The guy lives and breathes debate. Bladerunner basically has said he has no life outside of DDO; he only works like 8 days a month. He'd devote like 22 days per month to the site. What convinced you that kbub is going to be more dedicated than either of them?

I'm equally perplexed and I think those are excellent questions/points.
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:59:01 PM

How do you mean?

Personally, I thought he meant all of it. How do you mean kbub is more realistic in his outlook and would be more proactive? [personally, I think those contradict -- it's like you're setting the bar for him lower because he's more "realistic" in not proposing ambitious projects, which is *less* proactive] And what do you mean by you're on the ticket to make things "run smoothly"? Are you saying without you on the ticket, a kbub administration would run "unsmoothly," or that voters should look past kbub and vote for your combined ticket merely because they are getting you, since you would be -- granted -- quite an asset as a leader on DDO.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:00:58 PM
At 5/9/2014 7:52:47 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I haven't yet said who I prefer. I think both Larz and Bladerunner are very effective candidates, and I'd probably be satisfied with either of them as presidents on this site. Unfortunately, while I've gotten the chance to interact with Larz for a short time, I know both of them very little, and so I'd have trouble determining how well we'd work together.

I think kbub would be effective as well, and my experience chatting with him has shown me that he's willing to provide something of substance to this website. I don't have any specific posts he's made on this site to show you, only my experience interacting with him has shown me that he's willing to dedicate the time and the effort to make this site better. I will leave it to him to say what time he has available and what he plans for the site, as these are things that we are still assembling.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:01:46 PM
At 5/9/2014 7:59:01 PM, bluesteel wrote:

How do you mean?

Personally, I thought he meant all of it. How do you mean kbub is more realistic in his outlook and would be more proactive? [personally, I think those contradict -- it's like you're setting the bar for him lower because he's more "realistic" in not proposing ambitious projects, which is *less* proactive] And what do you mean by you're on the ticket to make things "run smoothly"? Are you saying without you on the ticket, a kbub administration would run "unsmoothly," or that voters should look past kbub and vote for your combined ticket merely because they are getting you, since you would be -- granted -- quite an asset as a leader on DDO.

I did mean all of it, but the point about Blade's follow-through is the one that I found most surprising.
Tsar of DDO
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:03:06 PM
At 5/9/2014 7:57:51 PM, YYW wrote:

How do you mean?

Your not convinced about other candidate's follow-through. I mean, for some I can understand that but for Bladerunner? He's one of the most detail oriented finish-all-things-by-any-means-necesisary kind of people I've met on the site...

He's great, and I think if he can follow through on his plans he'll be a very effective leader. For the time being, I lack the information to be sure that, in the long term, that will be the case. I'll keep reading his posts about his plans for DDO and make an assessment, but it is a tall order to ensure votes for every debate, even if it's coming from someone highly dedicated.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:04:22 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:03:06 PM, whiteflame wrote:

How do you mean?

He's great, and I think if he can follow through on his plans he'll be a very effective leader. For the time being, I lack the information to be sure that, in the long term, that will be the case. I'll keep reading his posts about his plans for DDO and make an assessment, but it is a tall order to ensure votes for every debate, even if it's coming from someone highly dedicated.

So, is voting your most prominent issue, or is that just an example of how you think that Blade might have, to employ a colloquial metaphor, "bitten off more than he can chew?"
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:05:28 PM
At 5/9/2014 7:58:37 PM, Wylted wrote:
I'm surprised you endorsed her. Is she going to push for people to be banned for saying the word idiot, because the mentally disabled if the studied the history of the word will be offended?

Will he move to Ban people for being closet races, based on maybe a confederate flag avatar or something even more subtle that he somehow interprets as racist?

I like Kbub, but she's not fit for that position. If she ran as your Vice President I'd probably reconsider and you guys would have respectable ticket.

How I see it now. Kbub couldn't provide site updates without it turning into a flame war and he couldn't accurately portray the voice of the people as well as you could.

I am also curious how kbub would respond to the accusation that they is overly sensitive and to the question about whether the word "idiot" would be banned under a kbub administration.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:05:30 PM

I wouldn't support kbub if any of these things were the case. If kbub took up these positions as part of our platform, then I'd leave the ticket. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to dedicate to a full president position, and so I'm on the other half of the ticket.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:08:18 PM
I'm also curious whether kbub's response times in this thread (compared to Larz and bladerunner's almost immediate responses when they announced) and his lack of announcing a platform contemporaneously say anything about the definiteness of his plans and about his time availability.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:12:29 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:08:18 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm also curious whether kbub's response times in this thread (compared to Larz and bladerunner's almost immediate responses when they announced) and his lack of announcing a platform contemporaneously say anything about the definiteness of his plans and about his time

Haha actually I'm traveling right now! I can only respond on my phone right now, but I have complete faith in white flame to answer any questions until I am able to do so myself :)
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:12:51 PM

How do you mean?

I'm really not trying to hide anything in my phrasing. I think there has to be a certain amount of proactivity and a certain amount of realism in any platform, as no one can spend the requisite time to do everything possible on DDO. What I meant by saying that I'd help it run smoothly is that I would provide support and ensure that things are done well, not that I'm suddenly going to be the only thing keeping the administration together. I appreciate that you think I'm quite an asset, but I really don't think I'd be capable of taking the role of president at the moment, and I feel that working with kbub, I can provide myself as an asset without being overtaxed and ensuring that what we provide is for the good of DDO as a whole.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:16:05 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:04:22 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/9/2014 8:03:06 PM, whiteflame wrote:

How do you mean?

So, is voting your most prominent issue, or is that just an example of how you think that Blade might have, to employ a colloquial metaphor, "bitten off more than he can chew?"

Just an example. I'm excited for the tickets that exist because I think there's a lot of promise in this race, bladerunner included. I think there are a lot of important issues that are being addressed by both Larz and bladerunner, and we will be taking up a number of them ourselves.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:21:24 PM
I'll be out for the next few hours, so I probably won't be getting to more responses until later tonight. Just so you guys are aware.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:22:00 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:12:51 PM, whiteflame wrote:

How do you mean?

I'm really not trying to hide anything in my phrasing. I think there has to be a certain amount of proactivity and a certain amount of realism in any platform, as no one can spend the requisite time to do everything possible on DDO. What I meant by saying that I'd help it run smoothly is that I would provide support and ensure that things are done well, not that I'm suddenly going to be the only thing keeping the administration together. I appreciate that you think I'm quite an asset, but I really don't think I'd be capable of taking the role of president at the moment, and I feel that working with kbub, I can provide myself as an asset without being overtaxed and ensuring that what we provide is for the good of DDO as a whole.

Your name does add credibility to the ticket. I understand you might not have the time to fully do the president thing, but why couldn't you find a lesser known or taken serious candidate to lend credibility to?
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:24:57 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:22:00 PM, Wylted wrote:

How do you mean?

Your name does add credibility to the ticket. I understand you might not have the time to fully do the president thing, but why couldn't you find a lesser known or taken serious candidate to lend credibility to?

If kbub proves to not be the type of candidate I would be willing to back as we determine our platform, I may consider other candidates. In the meantime, I do think kbub's a serious candidate.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:26:52 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:05:28 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I am also curious how kbub would respond to the accusation that they is overly sensitive and to the question about whether the word "idiot" would be banned under a kbub administration.

I'm not sure if you already know this, but the president has no power to ban anything, words or otherwise. I assure you that my posts on ableism reflect my personal opinions, and not my platform. I would I course represent the DDO community to te beat of my ability.

I am a long time member of DDO, and like to shake things up. Naturally I have some controversial forum threads, but I think they served to foster debate. I think I learned a lot from the conversations started there. Naturally, it is easy to assume that my platforms would be as controversial as my forum posts, but remember that my intention then and now is to create as much benefit for the DDO community as possible. Then, I could only do so by debating, so I worked hard to make exciting posts (flame wars) so that new ideas could be spread. As President, I would be able to make a real difference without being controversial; for that purpose, I will do my best to represent the DDO community fairly an accurately, and not through the colored lens of my imagination. Thank you for expressing your concerns! I firmly believe that people should have the right to express themselves, and as Preaident I will do my best to ensure that the DDO community can express and regulate themselves as freely as possible, rather than relying in other third parties.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:30:38 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:26:52 PM, kbub wrote:
At 5/9/2014 8:05:28 PM, bluesteel wrote:

I'm not sure if you already know this, but the president has no power to ban anything, words or otherwise. I assure you that my posts on ableism reflect my personal opinions, and not my platform. I would I course represent the DDO community to te beat of my ability.

I am a long time member of DDO, and like to shake things up. Naturally I have some controversial forum threads, but I think they served to foster debate. I think I learned a lot from the conversations started there. Naturally, it is easy to assume that my platforms would be as controversial as my forum posts, but remember that my intention then and now is to create as much benefit for the DDO community as possible. Then, I could only do so by debating, so I worked hard to make exciting posts (flame wars) so that new ideas could be spread. As President, I would be able to make a real difference without being controversial; for that purpose, I will do my best to represent the DDO community fairly an accurately, and not through the colored lens of my imagination. Thank you for expressing your concerns! I firmly believe that people should have the right to express themselves, and as Preaident I will do my best to ensure that the DDO community can express and regulate themselves as freely as possible, rather than relying in other third parties.

You need to immediately start doing presidential things and acting presidential. I want to support you guys, but I can't until I see what to expect.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:33:08 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:22:00 PM, Wylted wrote:

How do you mean?

Your name does add credibility to the ticket.

I agree with this, but I also don't know kbub that well.

I understand you might not have the time to fully do the president thing, but why couldn't you find a lesser known or taken serious candidate to lend credibility to?
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:48:54 PM
Will you be putting out a consolidated platform prior to the election?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:53:50 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:48:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Yes, absolutely! We plan to put it out within the next few weeks.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:54:21 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:53:50 PM, kbub wrote:

Thanks
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 9:00:18 PM
At 5/9/2014 8:53:50 PM, kbub wrote:

I'll be very interested to see it, as, I think, will all of DDO.
Tsar of DDO