Jump to topic:

The DDOrk Diaries 08- Progressive

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 1:32:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, I was supposed to post this last week but I forgot and only remembered the other day. Progressive, I feel like a bastard for posting this now but I hope this interview proves that you were a DDO member, and an awesome one at that. You are dearly missed. You were a great friend and I hope one day you"ll return to DDO and or find some way to contact us, your friends.

-----

When I saw him guess the right answer, I jumped out of the chair and did a happy dance! I was so glad someone as nice and rational and progressivedem22 won the contest! Congrats to him! I questioned Mike and Risha already to ensure they didn"t cheat!

How did you find DDO and why did you join?

It's a funny story actually (and I know I'm going to completely butcher this story, but I'm too lazy to go and dig up the thorough response in my AMA thread). Basically, I visited the site a few times but didn't think much of it until I began to notice the high intellectual caliber evident in some, though not at all, debates. So I decided to try it out, and I was hooked not long after my first debate on taxation. Though it ended in a tie, and I was by no means a good debater at that time -- and, mind you, this was about 4 months ago -- it was quite fun to research these points, and to effectively compel myself to do so because normally I have the intention span of a rodent.

Lol. I have the attention spam of a fish.
Favourite part of DDO?

I love the social aspect of DDO, which is peculiar since I'm a loner in real life. I've found that I identify with a lot of members on the site, and most people here are so nice and intelligent. I was certainly made to feel welcome not longer after having joined.

I agree.
First friend on DDO?

(Updated A/N: *CRIES*)

I think my first friend was Wylted -- either him, or GCL. I can't quite recall.

Favourite member on DDO?

Well, that's putting me on the spot. I don't think I could pick a favorite member, so I think I'm going to pull a cunning evasive maneuver. Oh hey, look, a distraction! But, in reality, there are a lot of people who would make the list, and I gave a list of 5 people in my AMA thread, but felt really bad after because I left out so many awesome people. I could provide a longer list, if need be. But picking one is about as impossible as getting me to endorse supply-side economics.

How did you feel about your first debate? Did you win or lose?

Oh, I should have read ahead to this haha. It depends on what you consider my first debate. The first debate I began was the taxation debate I mentioned earlier, which ended in a 0 to 0 tie -- though I'm confident I would have won had someone voted. The first debate I finished was on 9/11, and I would hate to use the term, but it was a classic "noob snipe." The guy had no intention of arguing at all, and even plagiarized every argument that he actually posted, so I won by about 30 or 40 points.

Favourite debate? (not necessarily yours)

Not long ago there was a debate between tylergraham and BigDave80 on taxes, and I thought tyler won it so decisively and handled the endless stream of strawmen thrown at him with such ease. It inspired me, in fact. And, to top it all off, he approached tax hikes from an income inequality perspective, which is different than how I've conventionally approached it -- I'd point to laffer curve figures, for instance, and effectively nullify the "raising taxes reduces revenue argument," which effectively reduces trickle-down to nothing. To be honest, his approach is almost irrefutably more productive, and less subject to ambiguity.

Most memorable thing anyone has ever said to
you?

Hmm, most memorable thing anyone has ever said to me on DDO or in real life? Let's see...on DDO, I loved being called a left-wing hack -- honestly, I didn't know such a thing existed. The real-life line is a bit more interesting. So, I used to get picked on in high school. But, during my senior year, one of the former bullies actually pointed out -- in front of witnesses -- that "if Paul only had social skills, he'd end up more successful than the rest of us combined." Now, I think that's a massive hyperbole, but it was an interesting, and quite unexpected, line nevertheless.

Have you ever been in a debate outside of DDO? Like a really serious one?

Not a serious one, though I used to love casually shooting down silly protectionist arguments, or something of the sort.

Your favourite troll?
Jifpop!
(A/N: *CRIES AGAIN*)

If you could delete anyone"s account, whose would you delete?

Right now it's a tie between jimtimmy3 and Daktoria, and I only say that because BigDave80 left DDO after getting utterly humiliated in his debate with tyler.

If you could change your username, what would you change it to?

Maybe just "Paul" or something simplistic. At least I'd remove the "22" from my name, which sounds a bit silly, now I think of it.

Recommendations to new users?

Duck, bob, and weave for your first month or so hahaha, no I kid. I'd suggest that they read through the material from more experienced debaters and examine how they frame their rebuttals before starting their debating career. I've learned quite a bit from reading debates by Roy, Mikal, Wylted, tyler, zmikecuber, Zaradi and many others simply because their styles are so dynamic yet structured.

*Pushes fake glasses further up nose, nods and flips page*
Now, onto the fun questions! How did you come up with your name? Why the 22?! How old are you really?

Honestly, the name is completely random. I made it for my youtube account not long ago that I used to respond to videos from the Young Turks, Sam Seder, and TJ Walker -- all class acts whom I highly recommend people check out (but only if you're liberal.....) -- and I guess I got attached to it in some way. The "22" is largely completely random. I'm 19, so it isn't emblematic of my age or anything like that -- I don't know why people do that, anyway. Don't they want to change the number as they age? It's like an adjustable rate mortgage..ok, I'm done, that was a bit too wonky even for me.

Wonkiness is awesomeness. As Zaradi once told me, "Welcome to DDO, where everyone gets the chance to be awkward together."
Moving along, when did you decide to run for presidency and why? Do you think you can win?

Honestly -- and this may hurt me in the long run, to be perfectly honest -- I saw daytona declare, and thought it would be a great idea. At the time, I was tempted to leave, but didn't quite want to let go, and it provided me with a reason -- not so much an excuse, but a reason -- to stay. When I really became serious about it was when I posted an extensive platform, and that was largely in response to the deteriorating nature of the site.

== 2ND HALF TO BE POSTED SHORTLY==
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 1:35:46 PM
I'm honestly no sure if I can win. TUF is very popular ,and daytona and I may split the dissenting vote, especially since he has Imabench on his side -- though I honestly think, when it comes down to it, our platforms and positions are nearly identical. Of course, our positions are quite distinct from TUF, who's a good guy by all accounts, but I genuinely think he's wrong on the new policy when he says, effectively, that we should just "trust the moderators" to enforce a very broad policy. Even if we take into account CP's point that the policy isn't being enforced, I still don't think that's a defense for it: why shouldn't we have a policy that actually works? So, it's larger a matter of drawing a contrast, and if people aren't satisfied with the status quo, they may be inclined to vote for Daytona or me. But, in the broad scheme of things, I think -- and I'll only speak for myself in this case -- I'm largely a message candidate. That doesn't mean that I don't have an intention to take this seriously, nor does it suggest in any way that I wouldn't serve if elected. But I'm able to acknowledge reality, and the reality is, the numbers aren't in my favor.

I think you would make a great Prez and a lot of people would support you. *hugs*

In Mikal"s recent interview with Max, he said that he would have supported you if you ran for President. What is your response to this?

Aww, thanks. :)

It's funny that you brought that up because just seconds ago I was listening to part of that interview. I really appreciate his kind words. Mikal has always been one of my favorite members, and it's great to hear a vote of confidence from him.

Oh, and for the record, I believe he said that he's supporting Tuf, but thinks that I'd be a viable candidate in the future after I get more experience, which is a perfectly valid point.

Why are you against home-schooling?

I think homeschooling is fundamentally detrimental to children at a pivotal part of their socialization process. It isolates them from their peers, with whom they should be forming meaningful relationships, and effectively removes accountability from the equation, both on their end and their parent's end. At the same time, it's effectively a loophole to any law requiring compulsory education, of which I'm a vocal supporter.

I agree that it hinders their socializing abilities. However, I do know of some home-schooled kids who actually bask in times where they have to socialize and do really well. Whereas, you may have some students, like me, who aren't home schooled, per say, but have a teacher for parent and go to school, and can't talk to people in real life to save my life...

Anyhow, did you really think ImaDDOrk was Imabench? I think I tricked Zaradi so I"m curious.

I certainly accept that what you're saying happens, and I'm in a similar position as you in that regard, but my problem with homeschooling is that it perpetuates that as a general rule. But if I saw evidence to the contrary, I'd reconsider.

I actually did, to be perfectly honest. The name was similar, the interest in frozen was similar, etc. -- and by the way, I still think it's overrated! Although I should have figured out after that response from ImaDDOrk/you that it wasn't Imabench..it was way too nice haha.

But honestly, I didn't think Imabench would be able to go as long as he has without DDO. Heck, even CP came back -- by popular demand he says, but I honestly think he just missed the site. But it's interesting that you brought up Imabench, because his departure is largely what propelled me to run for president haha. More on that some other time.

Have you seen Frozen yet? The ENTIRE movie? Who"s your favourite character from Frozen?

I haven't seen it so I couldn't pick a character lol

*Grins mischievously and rubs hands together*

If you could choose one guy and girl on DDO to date, who"d they be?
My guesses: GUY- Mikal/Imabench GIRL- GCL

Oh
for goodness sake lol

For guy......errr, how about Zaradi? If only for his awesome hair -- ironically, looking at his hair is not a way to induce suffering.

For a girl...well, there's actually a loophole here, because I believe bluesteel is listed as a female. There was a controversy a while ago about it, I think, but I'm going to ignore the results of it because I'm too lazy to check, and just say bluesteel.

Sassy smart alec. SMH.
What is your idea of a perfect date? How would you ask out a girl?

To be perfectly honest, as a 19-year old guy who has never experienced either -- yup, I'm a dork! -- I can't say I know much about this at all, but I'll try.

A perfect date would probably have to be something completely casual. I won't go complete nerd and say that it should be at a library -- I save that for the second date, of course -- but it definitely need to be something low-key and casual: perhaps a home-cooked dinner and a movie.

And, uhh, if I knew how to do that, I'd be a heck of a lot better off right now lol.

*swoons*

WAIT- Library isn't a good place for a first date?! :O
... Cue- awkward coughing...

Don't worry my relationship experience is the same as the probability of a man turning into a catfish with hooves, blonde hair singing, "Wrecking ball!"

^:/ Where's that come out from?
Final Question:
How did you guess 9?!

Well, it's a funny story, actually. You see, my ancestors came from the planet Kleptar, but were banished by King Soloman because they refused to sing his praises whilst playing the banjo -- probably because the banjo is for weenies, and the real money is in the spoon industry, duh. So, they went out on a royal quest to find the holy grail -- yes, this story has been plagiarized time and time again -- and came upon a group of alpacas whom they befriended. I'm not going to be explicit here, but let's just say that these guys weren't friendly. But apparently they have magical powers of some kind and will, by means of randomizer.org, doll out their special graces upon mortals with whom they come in contact (and, well, assault violently). So they instilled in my ancestors the power of mind-reading, and by way of some wonky biological miracle that I could never hope to understand, but I'm sure Sargon could, it was made a dominant gene. So, I read your mind and came up with the numbers from there. And I left you with some interesting thoughts. All of these questions, for instance, I planned.

Sike! I used randomizer.org and guessed it completely randomly. Cool story off the top of my head, huh?

>What if you were planning to have me think you were joking but you really aren"t? Well folks, that"s it! Another interview bites the dust! That"s all the questions I have for PD22, or at least that"s what he wants you to think"

---

Progressive, we miss you. Please come back.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 2:13:44 PM
Bump.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 4:10:44 PM
At 5/10/2014 2:37:46 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Nicely done.

Thanks. I feel bad for not posting it when he was on though.

I'm not entirely convinced with the reasons of his dismissal, but I take it to be the stench of DDO Elitism.

I don't know for sure why he left but I hope he comes back. I make no further comment on the matter because I don't know the full story and don't want to make any allegations... yet.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 4:12:24 PM
At 5/10/2014 3:13:19 PM, Romanii wrote:
This was one of the best interviews you've done thus far!

Thanks.

But now I miss Progressivedem even more :'(

Me too. Do you have any way of contacting either Jif or him? I need to speak to both of them.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 4:13:31 PM
To be perfectly honest, as a 19-year old guy who has never experienced either -- yup, I'm a dork! -- I can't say I know much about this at all, but I'll try.

Just saw that
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 4:13:57 PM
At 5/10/2014 4:12:24 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thanks.

Me too. Do you have any way of contacting either Jif or him? I need to speak to both of them.

Nope :/
The only contact I have had with DDO members off the site is Live Mafia/Google+ and they never played...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 4:15:32 PM
At 5/10/2014 4:13:57 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 5/10/2014 4:12:24 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thanks.

Nope :/
The only contact I have had with DDO members off the site is Live Mafia/Google+ and they never played...

*runs to corner and cries...
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 11:13:28 PM
bump over the random crap
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2014 3:02:46 PM
Have you taken this back over esocial?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2014 5:47:29 PM
At 5/11/2014 3:02:46 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Have you taken this back over esocial?

Yup. I have to post thett3's which I will post shortly and then I wanna do BSH1 and YYW together. After that, I'll resume as usual. =)
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2014 6:03:22 PM
At 5/10/2014 1:32:18 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
TJ Walker -- all class acts

No
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2014 6:05:57 PM
At 5/11/2014 6:03:22 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

No

I'm confused.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2014 6:07:33 PM
At 5/11/2014 6:05:57 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 5/11/2014 6:03:22 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

No

I'm confused.

Look him up.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 7:47:20 AM
PEOPLE CARE PAUL!!!

WE MISS U!!!

nac
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY