Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Having a separate section for references?

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 11:35:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What do you guys think about having an additional section to debates (similar to the sig section on forum posts), where you get an additional say 2,000 exclusively for posting your references.

That way references do not contribute to the overall character count, but also one cannot abuse this to post additional material.

I't would help a lot in scientific debates where a large number of references are often used and eat up a lot of space for arguments, and often one side uses a lot more space for references than the other.
Christian_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 11:54:11 AM
At 5/12/2014 11:35:43 AM, Envisage wrote:
What do you guys think about having an additional section to debates (similar to the sig section on forum posts), where you get an additional say 2,000 exclusively for posting your references.

That way references do not contribute to the overall character count, but also one cannot abuse this to post additional material.

I't would help a lot in scientific debates where a large number of references are often used and eat up a lot of space for arguments, and often one side uses a lot more space for references than the other.

Sounds great.

What if instead of a character limit (because some links are huge for example, this one: http://images.search.yahoo.com... ) It is used like some websites use pictures. Basically, you post a link, it finds the link. You have to cite something from the link, or else it cannot be put in the reference section. This would also get rid of useless references.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 12:48:21 PM

While it would be nice if this were implemented into the debate itself, you can do this now if your opponent agrees: Just post your sources in the comments, and tell the voters that's what you've agreed to do.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 12:51:44 PM
At 5/12/2014 12:48:21 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

While it would be nice if this were implemented into the debate itself, you can do this now if your opponent agrees: Just post your sources in the comments, and tell the voters that's what you've agreed to do.

Or extend the character space by 2K to account for sources.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)