Controversial Voting Restrictions--Need Help

JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 4:19:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello everyone,

I recently finished a debate with nonprophet, who prides himself on having tied 17 of his 33 debates by setting ELO restrictions so that very few people are able to vote on his debates. This allows him to get away with slanderous remarks, ad hominem attacks, and plagiarism, all of which he has done in my debate with him.

My worry is that, because the voting period is only three days, the debate will end is a tie, which would be completely unfair to me given the asymmetry in effort that was put into our debates.

I would greatly appreciate that anyone who views this thread could view the debate and let me know if you are able to cast a vote. I'm not sure what the restrictions are, but am hoping that we can find at least someone who can bypass his restrictions.

The debate can be found here:

http://www.debate.org...

Thank you, and I greatly appreciate any help that any of you can offer.

Best,

JohnMaynardKeynes
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 4:30:15 PM
At 5/12/2014 4:19:38 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
Hello everyone,

I recently finished a debate with nonprophet, who prides himself on having tied 17 of his 33 debates by setting ELO restrictions so that very few people are able to vote on his debates. This allows him to get away with slanderous remarks, ad hominem attacks, and plagiarism, all of which he has done in my debate with him.

My worry is that, because the voting period is only three days, the debate will end is a tie, which would be completely unfair to me given the asymmetry in effort that was put into our debates.

I would greatly appreciate that anyone who views this thread could view the debate and let me know if you are able to cast a vote. I'm not sure what the restrictions are, but am hoping that we can find at least someone who can bypass his restrictions.

Best,

JohnMaynardKeynes

The restrictions are usually an Elo of 7500+ when it comes to nonprophet.

It states this very clearly if you clicked "view debate settings"before accepting. You can try to get either RoyL. or Mikal to vote, but they most likely have better things to do with their time. Nonprophet has been doing for a few weeks now, and states this very clearly as well in his 'about me' section of his profile.

I recommend reading "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu... 'know your enemies'.

I wish I could help, but I can't. I do wish you the best of luck in the future though.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 4:31:49 PM
At 5/12/2014 4:30:15 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/12/2014 4:19:38 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
Hello everyone,

Best,

JohnMaynardKeynes

The restrictions for voting are usually an Elo of 7500+ when it comes to nonprophet.

It states this very clearly if you clicked "view debate settings"before accepting. You can try to get either RoyL. or Mikal to vote, but they most likely have better things to do with their time. Nonprophet has been doing this for a few weeks now, and states this very clearly as well in his 'about me' section of his profile.

I wish I could help, but I can't. I do wish you the best of luck in the future though.

*Fixed
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 4:35:18 PM
Yeah, that's pretty typical of Nonprophet. Juggle really should have seen this coming with their new voting update... Anyhow, the only thing you can really do is ask Mikal to vote. Roy isn't that active these days. For future reference, always scrutinize the debate settings before accepting.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 4:38:21 PM
Tried to vote and it didn't let me. Sorry /:
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 4:53:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses and advice. I contacted Mikal and asked if he would be willing to vote on it.

And I absolutely feel like such an idiot for not seeing the restrictions. I must have been living under a rock because I didn't even know they existed until this debate. I guess I had to learn the hard way.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Amoranemix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 5:24:22 PM
How can one see the debate settings once the debate has been accepted (by someone else) ?
The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth.
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 5:31:15 PM
At 5/12/2014 5:24:22 PM, Amoranemix wrote:
How can one see the debate settings once the debate has been accepted (by someone else) ?

Unfortunately we can't. I was hoping that people could check whether they could vote so we could get an idea of what the restrictions are.

Thankfully, Mikal was kind enough to vote on the debate. Thank you to him and to everyone. In the future, I'll be sure to read those settings closer before accepting a debate.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 6:54:42 PM

YOU READ THE ART OF WAR?! = D
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:11:24 PM
Personally I don't have a problem with it. Before you accept the debate it should tell you what the voting conditions are, and if someone wants to set the conditions so no one can vote then I have no problem with that. Look at wrich; he hardly ever has people vote on his debates because he debates for the debate itself and tries to take the politics (voting) out of it.
Nolite Timere
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:14:47 PM
At 5/12/2014 7:11:24 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Personally I don't have a problem with it. Before you accept the debate it should tell you what the voting conditions are, and if someone wants to set the conditions so no one can vote then I have no problem with that. Look at wrich; he hardly ever has people vote on his debates because he debates for the debate itself and tries to take the politics (voting) out of it.

I see what you're saying, and I don't have a problem with people wanting to debate simply for fun. If he had posted in his first argument that he wanted this to be a vote-less debate, I would have respected that. Granted, I may not have accepted, but that's beside the point, really.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:18:16 PM
At 5/12/2014 7:14:47 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

I see what you're saying, and I don't have a problem with people wanting to debate simply for fun. If he had posted in his first argument that he wanted this to be a vote-less debate, I would have respected that. Granted, I may not have accepted, but that's beside the point, really.

I do understand that in your case your opponent only set the restrictions to avoid losing and use sleazy debate tactics which I am against, but as a whole voteless debates shouldn't be something to be looked down upon.
Nolite Timere
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:18:59 PM
At 5/12/2014 6:54:42 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

...(yes)...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:20:14 PM
At 5/12/2014 7:18:59 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

...(yes)...

I LOVED THAT BOOK!!!! ("Bookworm!"
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:35:50 PM

But what wrich does is different. He makes it very clear in his Round 1 that it is a no-voting debate, and so people to respect his wishes and do not vote.
Nonprophet, on the other hand, makes it so that the person accepting doesn't even realize what they've done until it's too late.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:36:49 PM
At 5/12/2014 7:20:14 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 5/12/2014 7:18:59 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

...(yes)...

I LOVED THAT BOOK!!!! ("Bookworm!"

http://ct.fra.bz...
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:40:04 PM
At 5/12/2014 7:35:50 PM, Romanii wrote:

But what wrich does is different. He makes it very clear in his Round 1 that it is a no-voting debate, and so people to respect his wishes and do not vote.
Nonprophet, on the other hand, makes it so that the person accepting doesn't even realize what they've done until it's too late.

But whose fault is it that that person who accepted the debate didn't read the debate settings?
Nolite Timere
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:43:14 PM
At 5/12/2014 7:40:04 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

But whose fault is it that that person who accepted the debate didn't read the debate settings?

Well, this particular member is a bit new; he himself admitted that he didn't even know elo voting limits are possible before this debate.
Anyways, Mikal just used his elo to vote on that debate, and now nonprophet is threatening to call the mods lol...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:44:46 PM

The debate settings specified only I could vote, so I voted.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:46:51 PM
At 5/12/2014 7:43:14 PM, Romanii wrote:

Well, this particular member is a bit new; he himself admitted that he didn't even know elo voting limits are possible before this debate.
Anyways, Mikal just used his elo to vote on that debate, and now nonprophet is threatening to call the mods lol...

Lol that's silly
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:47:51 PM
At 5/12/2014 7:44:46 PM, Mikal wrote:

I'm cool with that. The instigator consented to the settings so you are definitely within grounds to vote on the debate.
Nolite Timere
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:52:45 PM
At 5/12/2014 7:44:46 PM, Mikal wrote:

lol
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 8:13:51 PM
Yeah, there's...quite a show in the comment section. He's accusing me of being a liar and a cheater. I'm at a loss for words.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 8:34:52 PM
At 5/12/2014 7:43:14 PM, Romanii wrote:

lol, that was excellent.
Amoranemix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 4:12:49 AM
At 5/12/2014 5:24:22 PM, Amoranemix wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes
Unfortunately we can't. I was hoping that people could check whether they could vote so we could get an idea of what the restrictions are.
Suppose some members only want to read a debate if they can vote. What are they to do ?
In addition, there seems to be difficulty in getting enough voters for debates. So I think voting should be encouraged rather than discouraged. I would have voted on some debates, but didn't because I don't have voting rights.
The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth.