DDO Election: Presidential Campaign Platform

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:11:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello DDO!

I announced my candidacy last Wednesday, and outlined some general elements of my platform.

Today, I'd like to give some more details as to what I intend to do, and make an announcement.

After much discussion, I have decided I need a Vice President as a running-mate. The membership of DDO deserves to know who will be their Vice President. They deserve to have a better idea of the kind of presidency I will run, and a critical part of that is knowing who I will have as my support.

Therefore, I will not be offering the position of Vice President to the runner-up of the election. Considering the excellent caliber of members who are running, however, I want to have them involved. And there is still time for another candidate to announce themselves. So I intend to extend the offer of Chief of Site Development and Chief of Member Relations to other candidates who run. One will definitely be offered to the runner-up of the election, should they choose to accept it.

As to who my Vice-President will be: bsh1 has agreed to be my running-mate and Vice President. He needs no introduction; he's a fine member, and a voice of reason. His even keel and amazing debating skills are well-known, and I know he will bring his sharp mind to bear in ensuring the success of our administration. I intended to make him an integral part of my administration, but giving him the position of Vice President will make those intentions clear.

As to the rest of my platform: nothing has changed. The most controversial item on it has seemed to be my election promise that no debate on the site will go unvoted. Some have claimed that they don't think I can pull it off. Let me assure you: I can. It won't be easy, and I will be creating an entire department in my administration to increase the volume and quality of votes with at least partially the goal of avoiding having that promise fall entirely on my shoulders. But anyone can promise plans and comittees. I promise that no debates will go voteless in administration, because I know that if the buck has to stop with me, it can. I won't lie to anyone, or blow smoke that it won't be challenging. But it can be done, and under my administration, it will be done.

The projects I outlined in my initial platform are still my intended projects, and I reiterate all my campaign promises.

-- I want to expand participation in the less-utilized forums, as well as keep track of the well-utilized forums.

-- I want to make moderation more transparent and codified.

-- I will work closely with Juggle so that we all know exactly where they stand, and what they mean. I want to get more features added to the site, and that means working closely with them so that they know what we, as the users, want.

-- I will increase member outreach, including expanding the "adopt-a-noob" project.

-- I will oversee educational efforts, including debate training.

-- I will create an entire department dedicated to improving voting, and no debate will go unvoted. (At the risk of seeming to back away from this admittedly audacious promise, I would like to note that there are three caveats to this: No. 1 is that there is a small group of users who do not WANT their debates voted on, and it would be obviously counter-productive to vote on those, No. 2 is that I can't speak to debates which are limited through high ELO or specific judges, and No. 3 is that I make no promise for users who make it a specific point to try to get me to break that promise through spammery.)

-- That there will be weekly status updates and Q&A sessions.

-- Everyone who wants to be involved in my admistration, can be involved.

-- Transparency and communication will be my priorities.

-- I will be an advocate for everyone, regardless of whether I agree with them.

bsh1 will be instrumental in accomplishing all these goals, and has already helped me work through some of the logistics, and I know that with his help, all of these goals are achievable.

But as we've talked and planned, he's helped me to see that I need to add on to this platform.

The president is not a moderator. The president is not a Juggle employee. But nonetheless, the president agitates for the changes that we all, as users of the site, want. To that end, I'd like to talk about some of the relatively simple features I'd like implemented in the near future that I think would improve all of our experience. With bsh1's help, I want to get the following features implemented:

-- A chat feature on DDO
-- A tournament feature that allows the direct designation of brackets
-- Like buttons on posts, and recognition badges for users
-- New forum topics. The specific one that comes to mind is for Member recognition. HOF, Voter appreciation, and site contribution, but I'm also thinking one for member-created projects, such as videos and stories.

I also intend on gauging and demonstrating the community's interest in Team Debates, Live Debates, and Video Debates. These would be more major overhauls, ones I likely wouldn't be able to see through in a single term. But getting the ball rolling is an important first step to getting them done.

I hope to see everyone at the Town Hall Event tomorrow night, at 1900 DDO Time (Which is 1700 my time), where larztheloser, kbub, and myself, will be there to answer questions and talk about our respective plans and platforms.

Thank you, DDO, and bsh1 and I welcome any questions you might have!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:16:17 AM
At 5/13/2014 12:11:32 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Hello DDO!

I announced my candidacy last Wednesday, and outlined some general elements of my platform.

Today, I'd like to give some more details as to what I intend to do, and make an announcement.

After much discussion, I have decided I need a Vice President as a running-mate. The membership of DDO deserves to know who will be their Vice President. They deserve to have a better idea of the kind of presidency I will run, and a critical part of that is knowing who I will have as my support.

Therefore, I will not be offering the position of Vice President to the runner-up of the election. Considering the excellent caliber of members who are running, however, I want to have them involved. And there is still time for another candidate to announce themselves. So I intend to extend the offer of Chief of Site Development and Chief of Member Relations to other candidates who run. One will definitely be offered to the runner-up of the election, should they choose to accept it.

As to who my Vice-President will be: bsh1 has agreed to be my running-mate and Vice President. He needs no introduction; he's a fine member, and a voice of reason. His even keel and amazing debating skills are well-known, and I know he will bring his sharp mind to bear in ensuring the success of our administration. I intended to make him an integral part of my administration, but giving him the position of Vice President will make those intentions clear.

As to the rest of my platform: nothing has changed. The most controversial item on it has seemed to be my election promise that no debate on the site will go unvoted. Some have claimed that they don't think I can pull it off. Let me assure you: I can. It won't be easy, and I will be creating an entire department in my administration to increase the volume and quality of votes with at least partially the goal of avoiding having that promise fall entirely on my shoulders. But anyone can promise plans and comittees. I promise that no debates will go voteless in administration, because I know that if the buck has to stop with me, it can. I won't lie to anyone, or blow smoke that it won't be challenging. But it can be done, and under my administration, it will be done.

The projects I outlined in my initial platform are still my intended projects, and I reiterate all my campaign promises.

-- I want to expand participation in the less-utilized forums, as well as keep track of the well-utilized forums.

-- I want to make moderation more transparent and codified.

-- I will work closely with Juggle so that we all know exactly where they stand, and what they mean. I want to get more features added to the site, and that means working closely with them so that they know what we, as the users, want.

-- I will increase member outreach, including expanding the "adopt-a-noob" project.

-- I will oversee educational efforts, including debate training.

-- I will create an entire department dedicated to improving voting, and no debate will go unvoted. (At the risk of seeming to back away from this admittedly audacious promise, I would like to note that there are three caveats to this: No. 1 is that there is a small group of users who do not WANT their debates voted on, and it would be obviously counter-productive to vote on those, No. 2 is that I can't speak to debates which are limited through high ELO or specific judges, and No. 3 is that I make no promise for users who make it a specific point to try to get me to break that promise through spammery.)

-- That there will be weekly status updates and Q&A sessions.

-- Everyone who wants to be involved in my admistration, can be involved.

-- Transparency and communication will be my priorities.

-- I will be an advocate for everyone, regardless of whether I agree with them.

bsh1 will be instrumental in accomplishing all these goals, and has already helped me work through some of the logistics, and I know that with his help, all of these goals are achievable.

But as we've talked and planned, he's helped me to see that I need to add on to this platform.

The president is not a moderator. The president is not a Juggle employee. But nonetheless, the president agitates for the changes that we all, as users of the site, want. To that end, I'd like to talk about some of the relatively simple features I'd like implemented in the near future that I think would improve all of our experience. With bsh1's help, I want to get the following features implemented:

-- A chat feature on DDO
-- A tournament feature that allows the direct designation of brackets
-- Like buttons on posts, and recognition badges for users
-- New forum topics. The specific one that comes to mind is for Member recognition. HOF, Voter appreciation, and site contribution, but I'm also thinking one for member-created projects, such as videos and stories.

I also intend on gauging and demonstrating the community's interest in Team Debates, Live Debates, and Video Debates. These would be more major overhauls, ones I likely wouldn't be able to see through in a single term. But getting the ball rolling is an important first step to getting them done.

I hope to see everyone at the Town Hall Event tomorrow night, at 1900 DDO Time (Which is 1700 my time), where larztheloser, kbub, and myself, will be there to answer questions and talk about our respective plans and platforms.

Thank you, DDO, and bsh1 and I welcome any questions you might have!

Probably doesn't mean anything, but you have right now already got my vote.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:42:14 AM
At 5/13/2014 12:16:17 AM, CJKAllstar wrote:

Probably doesn't mean anything, but you have right now already got my vote.

Every vote counts, CJKAllstar!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:49:24 AM
At 5/13/2014 12:16:17 AM, CJKAllstar wrote:

The best thing about the ballot box is its egalitarian nature. Every voice, every vote matters, and we're honored to have your support :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 2:58:41 AM
I have to say your campaign is pretty strong. Especially your every debate will be voted bit. Good luck to you in the election and I hope you know that if you do get elected that I am willing to devote any free time I may have into helping you; whether that be voting or anything else. Same goes for the rest of the candidates. I should be there at the town hall tomorrow so I am excited to see how this turns out.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 3:00:47 AM
An interesting platform.

My concern is over the amount of things you propose to lobby Juggle for as I'm not sure you can deliver here. Every president has promised to lobby for team debates or video debates or a different moderation policy but, as people keep saying, the president is not a moderator, nor is he/she a Juggle employee.

I struggle to believe that you are any more capable of bringing about these changes than other candidates, and if they do appear I think it will be because Juggle were (hopefully) already working on them at the time of election.

When I contrast this with Larz's platform, which seems to be very much based in what we know the president can accomplish and not what we hope the president can lobby Juggle into accomplishing, this seems flawed.
I'm back (ish).
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 5:05:45 AM
At 5/13/2014 3:00:47 AM, orangemayhem wrote:
An interesting platform.

My concern is over the amount of things you propose to lobby Juggle for as I'm not sure you can deliver here. Every president has promised to lobby for team debates or video debates or a different moderation policy but, as people keep saying, the president is not a moderator, nor is he/she a Juggle employee.

I struggle to believe that you are any more capable of bringing about these changes than other candidates, and if they do appear I think it will be because Juggle were (hopefully) already working on them at the time of election.

When I contrast this with Larz's platform, which seems to be very much based in what we know the president can accomplish and not what we hope the president can lobby Juggle into accomplishing, this seems flawed.

Relying on Juggle is ultimately a flawed variable in expectations for a candidate I think. You are right in that anybody can lobby for features to Juggle; Ultimately that part can be completed by just about anyone. And while that is the "on paper" official role of the president, I think ultimately what people should really be focusing on is the community building efforts.

Unfortunately where the conflict is, is that most of the serious candidates seem like they would be great at the community building aspect as well. It is going to be hard to judge who can do a better job of it, and I think it is going to be a conflicting choice for the community come election time.

I am excited for the town hall event though, maybe that will help with some of the conflict in choice.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 11:05:52 AM
An interesting platform.

My concern is over the amount of things you propose to lobby Juggle for as I'm not sure you can deliver here.

I absolutely agree. I can promise to lobby. But I cannot promise to actually GET them to make any changes.

Every president has promised to lobby for team debates or video debates or a different moderation policy but, as people keep saying, the president is not a moderator, nor is he/she a Juggle employee.

Indeed. Although, I do believe that delivering on my transparency platform plank IS within my power to definitely do.

Well, I'm not promising a free pony, that's for sure.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to promise the moon, or that I'm promising things about Juggle, who I can't control and so therefore can't make promises about. I'm only trying to indicate the sort of things I intend to push for.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 11:07:08 AM
At 5/13/2014 7:35:01 AM, Romanii wrote:

You have my vote at the moment, as well.

Bladerunner/Bsh1 2014 !

Thanks!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 11:16:23 AM
An interesting platform.

I think that many of the changes on our platform are changes that can be made with minimal effort. For example, adding badges.

I think the main thrust of our platform, however, is a promise of transparency and votes. Regular updates to the DDO community about our administration's efforts and a promise of keeping a highly inclusive and open leadership is one of our campaign's core goals. Having weekly Q&A session will increase community input and help us to work on behalf of DDO. We are also going to form a committee to ensure that no debate goes unvoted. If it comes down to it, Blade and I will vote on all unvoted debates to keep this promise. Neither of these promises requires Juggle's cooperation to achieve. Additionally, adding new for topics and tweaking the HOF are minimal changes.

I think every administration has to identify some things it wants to work with Juggle to accomplish, but these updates are only a portion of our platform, and we certainly do not intend to rely on Juggle's cooperation. We intend to take the initiative to work on programs that do not involve Juggle as well.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 11:17:08 AM
At 5/13/2014 11:10:35 AM, XLAV wrote:
Sig change.

Lol...thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 11:18:02 AM

Bladerunner/Bsh1 2014 !

Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 11:19:46 AM
At 5/13/2014 11:07:08 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Bladerunner/Bsh1 2014 !

Thanks!

Have you heard of the Supreme Counil of Determination started by Blade-of-Truth?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 11:21:22 AM
At 5/13/2014 11:19:46 AM, Romanii wrote:

Bladerunner/Bsh1 2014 !

Thanks!

Have you heard of the Supreme Counil of Determination started by Blade-of-Truth?

I have! Though that PM derailed rather quickly. I've already reached out to Blade-of-Truth about it.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 11:28:09 AM
At 5/13/2014 11:20:45 AM, Defro wrote:
So when is the election and how does it work. New user here :P

The mod Ore-Ele handles the logistics of the election. The new term begins 6/15, but no firm dates for the election itself have been set yet.

From the DDO FAQ (http://www.debate.org...):

Every six months an election thread is posted in the Debate.org forums. Members who have done at least 3 debates, or have made 500 posts, may vote for the member they think would be the best President to represent the community.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 11:35:38 AM
Sig Change
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:25:52 PM
At 5/13/2014 12:03:36 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Good luck to Bsh1 and Bladey.

Someone inform me of the Town Hall thing.

I think it's at 7:00pm DDO time today...or 8:00pm EST for me. Here is the link to the countdown: http://www.timeanddate.com...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:33:31 PM
At 5/13/2014 12:25:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I think it's at 7:00pm DDO time today...or 8:00pm EST for me. Here is the link to the countdown: http://www.timeanddate.com...
Who's going to record the Town Hall meeting?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:37:34 PM
At 5/13/2014 12:33:31 PM, XLAV wrote:

I believe Larz is recording, from what I understand. I am sure the link will be posted on DDO somewhere, though.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:59:42 PM
At 5/13/2014 12:33:31 PM, XLAV wrote:

If it's not already scheduled for recording, I am definitely willing to do so.
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 1:19:59 PM
At 5/13/2014 11:05:52 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to promise the moon, or that I'm promising things about Juggle, who I can't control and so therefore can't make promises about. I'm only trying to indicate the sort of things I intend to push for.

That's fair enough, but the list of things you're asking Juggle to implement within your term(s) - which is realistically 6-18 months - is quite a sizeable one, regardless of how small those changes may seem.

I'm not sure Juggle would take you seriously, mainly because of the fact that you're setting out your stall here and there's quite a lot of things you're asking for. I think a campaign which had a slimmer list of things to ask Juggle for would be taken more seriously by them.
I'm back (ish).
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 1:25:13 PM
At 5/13/2014 1:19:59 PM, orangemayhem wrote:
At 5/13/2014 11:05:52 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

That's fair enough, but the list of things you're asking Juggle to implement within your term(s) - which is realistically 6-18 months - is quite a sizeable one, regardless of how small those changes may seem.

I'm not sure Juggle would take you seriously, mainly because of the fact that you're setting out your stall here and there's quite a lot of things you're asking for. I think a campaign which had a slimmer list of things to ask Juggle for would be taken more seriously by them.

I don't intend to ask for everything all at once; that would be madness!

The goal of listing everything I had ideas about, though, was to try to show what my hopeful "vision" of things is. Every election is 1 term, and 1 term is only 6 months.

I'll be very clear: I don't think I can possibly get all, or even most of these done in 6 months, particularly in light of how Juggle has said that, for the near future, they don't have an emphasis on new features. That was awhile ago, of course...I'm hoping I can change their mind somewhat, and I figure it doesn't hurt to be optimistic, even if I temper it with realism. Any changes I want to have happen are going to have to take time just to get them ready to be presented to Juggle, let alone to convince them to implement.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 1:25:54 PM
At 5/13/2014 2:58:41 AM, TUF wrote:
I have to say your campaign is pretty strong. Especially your every debate will be voted bit. Good luck to you in the election and I hope you know that if you do get elected that I am willing to devote any free time I may have into helping you; whether that be voting or anything else. Same goes for the rest of the candidates. I should be there at the town hall tomorrow so I am excited to see how this turns out.

I'm with TUF on this one. The platform is bold and fresh. Blade and Bsh1 have my fullest support!
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 2:06:24 PM
At 5/13/2014 11:21:22 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/13/2014 11:19:46 AM, Romanii wrote:

Bladerunner/Bsh1 2014 !

Thanks!

Have you heard of the Supreme Council of Determination started by Blade-of-Truth?

I have! Though that PM derailed rather quickly. I've already reached out to Blade-of-Truth about it.

Yes, indeed it did. The PM did help me accomplish my recruiting goals though, so in that sense it was successful. Bladerunner, or any president for that matter, will always be able to count on the Council to lend a helping hand if need ever be. The council specifically focuses on unvoted and/or tied debates, but I know of a few council members who have set quite ambitious goals for themselves when it comes to voting on debates. I plan on keeping the momentum going, and believe our efforts when combined with the efforts of the soon-to-be president will be a force to be reckoned with.

In regards to the announcement: I couldn't be happier to see Bsh1 on the ticket as VP. This potential administration is one of promise and made up of members with a combined experience worthy of both my respect and admiration. I extend my best wishes to both of you.

I'll close by saying that I wish all candidates the best of luck with the town hall event, and look forward to watching the event unfold with pleasant anticipation!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 2:36:54 PM
I support.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 2:53:02 PM
You have my vote.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!