Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Mikal's Presidential Pick

Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 3:52:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am sadly going to be at work during this town hall event tonight, which I was greatly looking forward to seeing. I would advise and recommend that anyone that is available attend this meeting/question session. We have some very serious candidates running this year, and it will be a close race

With that being said, I am going to throw out my public endorsement for the Blade/Bsh ticket.

Blade - Having the chance to speak to eddie personally on multiple occasions, I can assure you he is a great guy. He is really involved in both the debating, forums, and even the mafia platforms on the site. He possesses a very high degree of formal logic and is regarded as one of the best users on the site. Without a doubt he is regarded as one of the best voters. Through his efforts to increase voting and because of the involvement in the site, I think he would make an ideal candidate.

Bsh - Brian is another good friend of mine. Having joined around the same time as myself, he exhibits some traits that I can say are foreign to me. He is patient with new members, always willing to help people to learn, and is overall just a really nice guy. He is also experienced in public debate along with being a high ranked user on DDO. He would make a perfect VP candidate.

I am by no means telling anyone who to vote for, but wanted to share why I am supporting this ticket. Both users are kind, easy to talk to, always willing to help new users, and share a genuine passion for the site .

They will make an excellent President and VP if elected.

GL to all the candidates that running and best of look at the town hall tonight.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 3:54:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
They will make an excellent President and VP if elected.

Agreed.

GL to all the candidates that running and best of luck at the town hall tonight.

Fix'd
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 3:57:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 3:55:56 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Wow I didn't see that coming

You're being sarcastic right?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 3:58:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 3:57:25 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 5/13/2014 3:55:56 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Wow I didn't see that coming

You're being sarcastic right?

Hard to detect on the interweb isn't it?
Nolite Timere
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 4:00:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 3:58:17 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 5/13/2014 3:57:25 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 5/13/2014 3:55:56 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Wow I didn't see that coming

You're being sarcastic right?

Hard to detect on the interweb isn't it?

yup
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 4:27:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Mikal, thanks for the endorsement, man. It means a lot.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
2Pro4U
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 6:02:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Keep your preferences to yourself, do not force your presidential pick upon others or try to influence their votes to benefit your needs.

This is a pathetic attempt at someone getting their besty into power.

Let people vote who they want for whatever reason they may have. If everyone posted who they are voting and why as a thread, this site would be spammed.
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 6:06:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 6:02:37 PM, 2Pro4U wrote:
Keep your preferences to yourself, do not force your presidential pick upon others or try to influence their votes to benefit your needs.

This is a pathetic attempt at someone getting their besty into power.

Let people vote who they want for whatever reason they may have. If everyone posted who they are voting and why as a thread, this site would be spammed.

This is not a power grab, this is a public endorsement. Welcome to politics. I am assuming that you do not support the blade/bsh ticket?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
2Pro4U
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 6:07:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 6:06:24 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/13/2014 6:02:37 PM, 2Pro4U wrote:
Keep your preferences to yourself, do not force your presidential pick upon others or try to influence their votes to benefit your needs.

This is a pathetic attempt at someone getting their besty into power.

Let people vote who they want for whatever reason they may have. If everyone posted who they are voting and why as a thread, this site would be spammed.

This is not a power grab, this is a public endorsement. Welcome to politics. I am assuming that you do not support the blade/bsh ticket?

I come to read good threads not this. I don't care who wins this thing.
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 6:19:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 6:07:22 PM, 2Pro4U wrote:
At 5/13/2014 6:06:24 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/13/2014 6:02:37 PM, 2Pro4U wrote:
Keep your preferences to yourself, do not force your presidential pick upon others or try to influence their votes to benefit your needs.

This is a pathetic attempt at someone getting their besty into power.

Let people vote who they want for whatever reason they may have. If everyone posted who they are voting and why as a thread, this site would be spammed.

This is not a power grab, this is a public endorsement. Welcome to politics. I am assuming that you do not support the blade/bsh ticket?

I come to read good threads not this. I don't care who wins this thing.

Well then dont read this thread, and dont make accusations. This is not the way to announce yourself as a new member of this community.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 10:06:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 3:52:15 PM, Mikal wrote:
I am sadly going to be at work during this town hall event tonight, which I was greatly looking forward to seeing. I would advise and recommend that anyone that is available attend this meeting/question session. We have some very serious candidates running this year, and it will be a close race

With that being said, I am going to throw out my public endorsement for the Blade/Bsh ticket.

Blade - Having the chance to speak to eddie personally on multiple occasions, I can assure you he is a great guy. He is really involved in both the debating, forums, and even the mafia platforms on the site. He possesses a very high degree of formal logic and is regarded as one of the best users on the site. Without a doubt he is regarded as one of the best voters. Through his efforts to increase voting and because of the involvement in the site, I think he would make an ideal candidate.

Bsh - Brian is another good friend of mine. Having joined around the same time as myself, he exhibits some traits that I can say are foreign to me. He is patient with new members, always willing to help people to learn, and is overall just a really nice guy. He is also experienced in public debate along with being a high ranked user on DDO. He would make a perfect VP candidate.

I am by no means telling anyone who to vote for, but wanted to share why I am supporting this ticket. Both users are kind, easy to talk to, always willing to help new users, and share a genuine passion for the site .

They will make an excellent President and VP if elected.

GL to all the candidates that running and best of look at the town hall tonight.

Wouldn't it be better to wait until after the town hall meeting to decide on a preference? Or after all three platforms have been announced?
JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 10:10:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 10:06:07 PM, kbub wrote:
At 5/13/2014 3:52:15 PM, Mikal wrote:
I am sadly going to be at work during this town hall event tonight, which I was greatly looking forward to seeing. I would advise and recommend that anyone that is available attend this meeting/question session. We have some very serious candidates running this year, and it will be a close race

With that being said, I am going to throw out my public endorsement for the Blade/Bsh ticket.

Blade - Having the chance to speak to eddie personally on multiple occasions, I can assure you he is a great guy. He is really involved in both the debating, forums, and even the mafia platforms on the site. He possesses a very high degree of formal logic and is regarded as one of the best users on the site. Without a doubt he is regarded as one of the best voters. Through his efforts to increase voting and because of the involvement in the site, I think he would make an ideal candidate.

Bsh - Brian is another good friend of mine. Having joined around the same time as myself, he exhibits some traits that I can say are foreign to me. He is patient with new members, always willing to help people to learn, and is overall just a really nice guy. He is also experienced in public debate along with being a high ranked user on DDO. He would make a perfect VP candidate.

I am by no means telling anyone who to vote for, but wanted to share why I am supporting this ticket. Both users are kind, easy to talk to, always willing to help new users, and share a genuine passion for the site .

They will make an excellent President and VP if elected.

GL to all the candidates that running and best of look at the town hall tonight.

Wouldn't it be better to wait until after the town hall meeting to decide on a preference? Or after all three platforms have been announced?

Are you suggesting that voting is anything more than a notoriety contest? Sad, but true.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 10:11:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am going to be absent for around 3 or 4 days. Having heard most of the platforms and ideas that are represented, I am still null.

The platform is only one reason why I endorse them. The main reason is the activity within the community and what both can bring to the plate. It is just my pick/choice. No one is under obligation to follow me in voting for them. Just showing my support
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 10:18:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Thank you for your support, Mikal! I really appreciate your opinion...and that it's in our favor doesn't hurt either.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 10:20:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 10:11:44 PM, Mikal wrote:
I am going to be absent for around 3 or 4 days. Having heard most of the platforms and ideas that are represented, I am still null.

The platform is only one reason why I endorse them. The main reason is the activity within the community and what both can bring to the plate. It is just my pick/choice. No one is under obligation to follow me in voting for them. Just showing my support

Nice 3k.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 10:37:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 10:06:07 PM, kbub wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to wait until after the town hall meeting to decide on a preference? Or after all three platforms have been announced?

This leads me to two questions I've been wanting to ask you as a candidate:

1) Why do platforms matter? If one candidate has better ideas but another is much better at *execution*, what is to stop the latter candidate from simply taking all the good ideas and implementing them? Shouldn't DDO elect the person most able to implement change, not necessarily the person with the best ideas? This isn't a real election, where one candidate is pro-choice and one pro-life. We don't have wedge issues here. Serious question: why do platforms matter?

2) Why can't you (kbub) come up with your platform yourself? You said in the Town Hall that you need to consult more with whiteflame and you need input from the community, which seems to say you can't come up with anything on your own. The community can get apathetic, which is why the President has to be someone who is really to push for change. So banking on the community to come up with your platform for you doesn't sound to me like you're say, "look I'll do what you want," it sounds like, "i gotz no ideas." The community is rarely ever in agreement about new features. Getting some motion on the voting issue took a ton of effort on my part to raise awareness. So you'll excuse me in being skeptical about just "waiting on the community for form a consensus." That didn't work with voting. I raised awareness, and then TUF on his own took the initiative to pitch Juggle on something they would find acceptable. Please explain why your lack of a platform as of yet isn't a reason to doubt your leadership skills.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 10:55:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I want to add that I don't see anything wrong about Mikal endorsing a specific candidate. That's the nature of politics; there's nothing wrong with that.

However, I vote for a person based on several criteria:

(1) They're political platform/beliefs
(2) Character. Is this a person who stands for my values? Are they honest/truthful with respect to issues? Are they fair?
(3) Public relations. Is this a person who tries to connect to others? Does this person only care about his own interests?
(4) Activity. Is this person a consistently active person on DDO. Does this person only occasionally enter our community?

Again, I have no problem with endorsements and there's quite a few people running this year that I consider wonderful candidates.
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:35:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 10:37:38 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/13/2014 10:06:07 PM, kbub wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to wait until after the town hall meeting to decide on a preference? Or after all three platforms have been announced?

This leads me to two questions I've been wanting to ask you as a candidate:


1) Why do platforms matter? If one candidate has better ideas but another is much better at *execution*, what is to stop the latter candidate from simply taking all the good ideas and implementing them? Shouldn't DDO elect the person most able to implement change, not necessarily the person with the best ideas? This isn't a real election, where one candidate is pro-choice and one pro-life. We don't have wedge issues here. Serious question: why do platforms matter?

2) Why can't you (kbub) come up with your platform yourself? You said in the Town Hall that you need to consult more with whiteflame and you need input from the community, which seems to say you can't come up with anything on your own. The community can get apathetic, which is why the President has to be someone who is really to push for change. So banking on the community to come up with your platform for you doesn't sound to me like you're say, "look I'll do what you want," it sounds like, "i gotz no ideas." The community is rarely ever in agreement about new features. Getting some motion on the voting issue took a ton of effort on my part to raise awareness. So you'll excuse me in being skeptical about just "waiting on the community for form a consensus." That didn't work with voting. I raised awareness, and then TUF on his own took the initiative to pitch Juggle on something they would find acceptable. Please explain why your lack of a platform as of yet isn't a reason to doubt your leadership skills.

Wow! That's quite a bit to address! I'll do my best to answer them, but please feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

At first, I was a little tempted to answer your first question with your second question, and your second question with your first. That is, answering: (1) "why [isn't] your lack of a platform... a reason to doubt your leadership skill[?]" with (2) "Why do platforms matter?" and answering (2) with the risks you mentioned about voting for someone who doesn't have a platform (1).

However, that response would be a great disservice to your astute questions. I think your questions are very good, and touch on the balance that one needs to maintain when choosing a platform. On the one hand, platforms have an amount of artificiality about them, as you hinted at in 1. Indeed, ideas that can't be put into effect are quite useless. However, platforms are important in another sense: As a working agenda, a platform offers some insight into how a candidate will act as president. For example, we might expect bladerunner to ask Juggle to do many of the mechanical changes he listed, and work with members of DDO to make sure debates get votes. We might similarly expect Larz to enact many of the community ideas he offered, although it seems like he is keeping some of the specifics of his plan flexible. I think that Bladerunner's and Larz's platforms do offer insight into how they would act as president, so in that sense I think platforms are important.

The second question is also very astute. You asked: "Why can't you (kbub) come up with your platform yourself?" and "Please explain why your lack of a platform as of yet isn't a reason to doubt your leadership skills." There are a number of reasons for my waiting to release my platform. The first reason is that unlike Larz and bladerunner I had made plans to have a vice president from the start. Whereas bladerunner already had a platform when he asked Bsh1, whiteflame and I had planned to run together several weeks before we announced. Thus, Larz and bladerunner didn't need to consult with anyone else to develop their plan--they didn't have a VP with whom to consult.

That being said, beyond the mere technical explanation are some differences in approach. You picked up on this fact. I believe there is virtue in responding to issues quickly and reflexively; however, I tend to approach problems with care, rather than act rashly or impulsively. As a debater, I work hard to think through my arguments fully before I write them. I enjoy a good debate, and do my best to give my opponent, if not a winning contention, at least one that merits thinking about outside the round. As president, I will dedicate this same effort to representing the community accurately and effectively. I will certainly make mistakes; however, I can guarantee that I will not give a half-finished, shoddy term presidential term--I will give DDO my best, and nothing less; likewise, I do plan to turn in a platform, but I will make sure that I do so carefully and with the input of my good friend and running mate.

Lastly, I strongly believe that a good president is not merely a person, but a representative. I believe that the president has a duty to offer more than their opinion alone: They have a responsibility to engage and inform the DDO community whenever possible. I admire bladerunner's and Larz's agility in releasing their platforms; however, I usually put in extra effort to to ensure that my actions do not misrepresent the community. Because a platform is a plan for presidency (and not merely a campaign tool), we are taking extra time to ensure that the resulting plan is something that we can support 100%.

I don't think either style is necessarily better than the other; there are advantages to the passion and leadership bladerunner and Larz displayed by releasing their platforms alone. However, the presidency that I offer considers the input of the DDO community to be of the utmost importance.

Thanks for the questions! I hope my answers were informative.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:36:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 10:55:10 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I want to add that I don't see anything wrong about Mikal endorsing a specific candidate. That's the nature of politics; there's nothing wrong with that.

However, I vote for a person based on several criteria:

(1) They're political platform/beliefs
(2) Character. Is this a person who stands for my values? Are they honest/truthful with respect to issues? Are they fair?
(3) Public relations. Is this a person who tries to connect to others? Does this person only care about his own interests?
(4) Activity. Is this person a consistently active person on DDO. Does this person only occasionally enter our community?

Again, I have no problem with endorsements and there's quite a few people running this year that I consider wonderful candidates.

+1
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:50:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2014 4:35:17 PM, kbub wrote:
At 5/13/2014 10:37:38 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/13/2014 10:06:07 PM, kbub wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to wait until after the town hall meeting to decide on a preference? Or after all three platforms have been announced?

This leads me to two questions I've been wanting to ask you as a candidate:



1) Why do platforms matter? If one candidate has better ideas but another is much better at *execution*, what is to stop the latter candidate from simply taking all the good ideas and implementing them? Shouldn't DDO elect the person most able to implement change, not necessarily the person with the best ideas? This isn't a real election, where one candidate is pro-choice and one pro-life. We don't have wedge issues here. Serious question: why do platforms matter?

2) Why can't you (kbub) come up with your platform yourself? You said in the Town Hall that you need to consult more with whiteflame and you need input from the community, which seems to say you can't come up with anything on your own. The community can get apathetic, which is why the President has to be someone who is really to push for change. So banking on the community to come up with your platform for you doesn't sound to me like you're say, "look I'll do what you want," it sounds like, "i gotz no ideas." The community is rarely ever in agreement about new features. Getting some motion on the voting issue took a ton of effort on my part to raise awareness. So you'll excuse me in being skeptical about just "waiting on the community for form a consensus." That didn't work with voting. I raised awareness, and then TUF on his own took the initiative to pitch Juggle on something they would find acceptable. Please explain why your lack of a platform as of yet isn't a reason to doubt your leadership skills.

Wow! That's quite a bit to address! I'll do my best to answer them, but please feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

At first, I was a little tempted to answer your first question with your second question, and your second question with your first. That is, answering: (1) "why [isn't] your lack of a platform... a reason to doubt your leadership skill[?]" with (2) "Why do platforms matter?" and answering (2) with the risks you mentioned about voting for someone who doesn't have a platform (1).

However, that response would be a great disservice to your astute questions. I think your questions are very good, and touch on the balance that one needs to maintain when choosing a platform. On the one hand, platforms have an amount of artificiality about them, as you hinted at in 1. Indeed, ideas that can't be put into effect are quite useless. However, platforms are important in another sense: As a working agenda, a platform offers some insight into how a candidate will act as president. For example, we might expect bladerunner to ask Juggle to do many of the mechanical changes he listed, and work with members of DDO to make sure debates get votes. We might similarly expect Larz to enact many of the community ideas he offered, although it seems like he is keeping some of the specifics of his plan flexible. I think that Bladerunner's and Larz's platforms do offer insight into how they would act as president, so in that sense I think platforms are important.

The second question is also very astute. You asked: "Why can't you (kbub) come up with your platform yourself?" and "Please explain why your lack of a platform as of yet isn't a reason to doubt your leadership skills." There are a number of reasons for my waiting to release my platform. The first reason is that unlike Larz and bladerunner I had made plans to have a vice president from the start. Whereas bladerunner already had a platform when he asked Bsh1, whiteflame and I had planned to run together several weeks before we announced. Thus, Larz and bladerunner didn't need to consult with anyone else to develop their plan--they didn't have a VP with whom to consult.

That being said, beyond the mere technical explanation are some differences in approach. You picked up on this fact. I believe there is virtue in responding to issues quickly and reflexively; however, I tend to approach problems with care, rather than act rashly or impulsively. As a debater, I work hard to think through my arguments fully before I write them. I enjoy a good debate, and do my best to give my opponent, if not a winning contention, at least one that merits thinking about outside the round. As president, I will dedicate this same effort to representing the community accurately and effectively. I will certainly make mistakes; however, I can guarantee that I will not give a half-finished, shoddy term presidential term--I will give DDO my best, and nothing less; likewise, I do plan to turn in a platform, but I will make sure that I do so carefully and with the input of my good friend and running mate.

Lastly, I strongly believe that a good president is not merely a person, but a representative. I believe that the president has a duty to offer more than their opinion alone: They have a responsibility to engage and inform the DDO community whenever possible. I admire bladerunner's and Larz's agility in releasing their platforms; however, I usually put in extra effort to to ensure that my actions do not misrepresent the community. Because a platform is a plan for presidency (and not merely a campaign tool), we are taking extra time to ensure that the resulting plan is something that we can support 100%.

I don't think either style is necessarily better than the other; there are advantages to the passion and leadership bladerunner and Larz displayed by releasing their platforms alone. However, the presidency that I offer considers the input of the DDO community to be of the utmost importance.

Thanks for the questions! I hope my answers were informative.

lol, I liked the part about the temptation to answer each question with the other. I admire the honesty with which you admit that platforms matter very little, which I definitely agree with. I really do admire the insight with which you answered my questions. You're really not making this an easy election. It would be much nicer if it could be easily narrowed down to 2, but alas ... :)

I still have some issues with your response, but I guess I'll just get more specific. What do you think about what TUF did with the voting update, where he basically just took a bunch of ideas and got them implemented, instead of waiting for the community to settle on something very specific (like "argument only" plus speaker points). There are both pro's and con's to his approach, but at least it got done. What would you have done in that situation? Do you approve of what TUF did, or would you have waited longer? How do you know when you've waiting too long and no crystal clear consensus will ever exist? When do you make the call that you just need to pick something and push it?

As you can see, I don't really have an issue with you not having a platform, but I do think that the President at some point has to seize the reins and stop hoping the community will settle on its own on a clear answer.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 5:20:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2014 4:35:17 PM, kbub wrote:
At 5/13/2014 10:37:38 PM, bluesteel wrote:

This leads me to two questions I've been wanting to ask you as a candidate:
1) Why do platforms matter? If one candidate has better ideas but another is much better at *execution*, what is to stop the latter candidate from simply taking all the good ideas and implementing them? Shouldn't DDO elect the person most able to implement change, not necessarily the person with the best ideas? This isn't a real election, where one candidate is pro-choice and one pro-life. We don't have wedge issues here. Serious question: why do platforms matter?

2) Why can't you (kbub) come up with your platform yourself? You said in the Town Hall that you need to consult more with whiteflame and you need input from the community, which seems to say you can't come up with anything on your own. The community can get apathetic, which is why the President has to be someone who is really to push for change. So banking on the community to come up with your platform for you doesn't sound to me like you're say, "look I'll do what you want," it sounds like, "i gotz no ideas." The community is rarely ever in agreement about new features. Getting some motion on the voting issue took a ton of effort on my part to raise awareness. So you'll excuse me in being skeptical about just "waiting on the community for form a consensus." That didn't work with voting. I raised awareness, and then TUF on his own took the initiative to pitch Juggle on something they would find acceptable. Please explain why your lack of a platform as of yet isn't a reason to doubt your leadership skills.

Wow! That's quite a bit to address! I'll do my best to answer them, but please feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

At first, I was a little tempted to answer your first question with your second question, and your second question with your first. That is, answering: (1) "why [isn't] your lack of a platform... a reason to doubt your leadership skill[?]" with (2) "Why do platforms matter?" and answering (2) with the risks you mentioned about voting for someone who doesn't have a platform (1).

However, that response would be a great disservice to your astute questions. I think your questions are very good, and touch on the balance that one needs to maintain when choosing a platform. On the one hand, platforms have an amount of artificiality about them, as you hinted at in 1. Indeed, ideas that can't be put into effect are quite useless. However, platforms are important in another sense: As a working agenda, a platform offers some insight into how a candidate will act as president. For example, we might expect bladerunner to ask Juggle to do many of the mechanical changes he listed, and work with members of DDO to make sure debates get votes. We might similarly expect Larz to enact many of the community ideas he offered, although it seems like he is keeping some of the specifics of his plan flexible. I think that Bladerunner's and Larz's platforms do offer insight into how they would act as president, so in that sense I think platforms are important.

The second question is also very astute. You asked: "Why can't you (kbub) come up with your platform yourself?" and "Please explain why your lack of a platform as of yet isn't a reason to doubt your leadership skills." There are a number of reasons for my waiting to release my platform. The first reason is that unlike Larz and bladerunner I had made plans to have a vice president from the start. Whereas bladerunner already had a platform when he asked Bsh1, whiteflame and I had planned to run together several weeks before we announced. Thus, Larz and bladerunner didn't need to consult with anyone else to develop their plan--they didn't have a VP with whom to consult.

That being said, beyond the mere technical explanation are some differences in approach. You picked up on this fact. I believe there is virtue in responding to issues quickly and reflexively; however, I tend to approach problems with care, rather than act rashly or impulsively. As a debater, I work hard to think through my arguments fully before I write them. I enjoy a good debate, and do my best to give my opponent, if not a winning contention, at least one that merits thinking about outside the round. As president, I will dedicate this same effort to representing the community accurately and effectively. I will certainly make mistakes; however, I can guarantee that I will not give a half-finished, shoddy term presidential term--I will give DDO my best, and nothing less; likewise, I do plan to turn in a platform, but I will make sure that I do so carefully and with the input of my good friend and running mate.

Lastly, I strongly believe that a good president is not merely a person, but a representative. I believe that the president has a duty to offer more than their opinion alone: They have a responsibility to engage and inform the DDO community whenever possible. I admire bladerunner's and Larz's agility in releasing their platforms; however, I usually put in extra effort to to ensure that my actions do not misrepresent the community. Because a platform is a plan for presidency (and not merely a campaign tool), we are taking extra time to ensure that the resulting plan is something that we can support 100%.

I don't think either style is necessarily better than the other; there are advantages to the passion and leadership bladerunner and Larz displayed by releasing their platforms alone. However, the presidency that I offer considers the input of the DDO community to be of the utmost importance.

Thanks for the questions! I hope my answers were informative.

lol, I liked the part about the temptation to answer each question with the other. I admire the honesty with which you admit that platforms matter very little, which I definitely agree with. I really do admire the insight with which you answered my questions. You're really not making this an easy election. It would be much nicer if it could be easily narrowed down to 2, but alas ... :)

I still have some issues with your response, but I guess I'll just get more specific. What do you think about what TUF did with the voting update, where he basically just took a bunch of ideas and got them implemented, instead of waiting for the comunity to settle on something very specific (like "argument only" plus speaker points). There are both pro's and con's to his approach, but at least it got done. What would you have done in that situation? Do you approve of what TUF did, or would you have waited longer? How do you know when you've waiting too long and no crystal clear consensus will ever exist? When do you make the call that you just need to pick something and push it?

As you can see, I don't really have an issue with you not having a platform, but I do think that the President at some point has to seize the reins and stop hoping the community will settle on its own on a clear answer.

Thanks for the questions! I absolutely approve of TUF's actions and assertiveness. I think you are absolutely correct to point out that the DDO community rarely has a clear-cut consent. (We are, after all, a community united in our love of the art of disagreement!)

To answer your questions: As president I plan to often seek out community input; however, I will not allow community input to prevent my taking action. I think you and TUF accomplished this balance very well--you made several announcements and allowed for community input, but didn't let disagreement in the community lead to stagnation. I hope to strike a similar balance: On the one hand fostering and highly valuing community involvement, and on the other acting on what I believe to be beneficial to DDO. I think both of these aspects are important considerations for a leader.
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 9:36:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2014 5:20:37 PM, kbub wrote:

Good job with your answers!

I am ashamed to admit that I had sort of already narrowed down the choices in my head to blade and larz, just because of your "lack of experience", as Mikal puts it, but reading this is making me seriously consider voting for you! :)
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:16:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2014 9:36:05 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 5/14/2014 5:20:37 PM, kbub wrote:

Good job with your answers!

I am ashamed to admit that I had sort of already narrowed down the choices in my head to blade and larz, just because of your "lack of experience", as Mikal puts it, but reading this is making me seriously consider voting for you! :)

Thanks, Romanii!