Jump to topic:

Official DDO Gambling Ring

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:45:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Before someone asks, it's official because I said so. Now, moving on!

Rules for gamblers:
Must have been on the site for at least three months.
Can neither be in nor judge the debate being gambled on.

Eligible debates:
Debates eligible for gambling must be between two debaters that have an ELO of equal to or greater than 4500
All betting must take place before initial arguments are posted, so first round is always for acceptance.

How it works:
Once you sign up, you are given 200 debate points. These points are used to bet. Now, let's say there is a debate between Mikal and bluesteel, with five members betting on it. Members A and B both are betting on Mikal, with 100 points from A, 75 from B. Members C, D, and E bet for bluesteel, C betting 200, the other two betting 100. The points are taken from their accounts (kept track of here: https://docs.google.com...), and when the debate is over, points are distributed. With 575 points going in, here are the results,

if Mikal wins.

The A:B ratio is 4:3, so A gets 4/7 of the points (rounding up, so 379) while B gets the rest (575-379=196).

If bluesteel wins.

The C:D:E ratio is 2:1:1, so C gets half the points (again rounding up, so 288), while the other two split up the remainder of 287. In situations like this, the member with the higher ELO gets the extra point, which we'll just say is member D. So, D gets 144, E gets 143.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:46:40 PM
Signups
To infinity!
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:47:30 PM
At 5/14/2014 4:45:02 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

Rules for gamblers:

Eligible debates:
Debates eligible for gambling must be between two debaters that have an ELO of equal to or greater than 4500

That's dumb. Unless you mean their ELO's added together equals that, but individually very few debates between people of these rankings happen

Besides, ELO doesn't mean anything.

All betting must take place before initial arguments are posted, so first round is always for acceptance.

How it works:
Once you sign up, you are given 200 debate points. These points are used to bet. Now, let's say there is a debate between Mikal and bluesteel, with five members betting on it. Members A and B both are betting on Mikal, with 100 points from A, 75 from B. Members C, D, and E bet for bluesteel, C betting 200, the other two betting 100. The points are taken from their accounts (kept track of here: https://docs.google.com...), and when the debate is over, points are distributed. With 575 points going in, here are the results,

if Mikal wins.

The A:B ratio is 4:3, so A gets 4/7 of the points (rounding up, so 379) while B gets the rest (575-379=196).

If bluesteel wins.

The C:D:E ratio is 2:1:1, so C gets half the points (again rounding up, so 288), while the other two split up the remainder of 287. In situations like this, the member with the higher ELO gets the extra point, which we'll just say is member D. So, D gets 144, E gets 143.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:48:20 PM

Rules for gamblers:

Eligible debates:

How it works:

if Mikal wins.

If bluesteel wins.

So...no real money is used? What is this, then? Is it supposed to be some kind of imaginary "point" system where people spend hours on this Site trying to gain the most of these imaginary points, kind of like ELO?
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:49:11 PM
At 5/14/2014 4:47:30 PM, thett3 wrote:

Rules for gamblers:

Eligible debates:

That's dumb. Unless you mean their ELO's added together equals that, but individually very few debates between people of these rankings happen

Yeah, that's what I meant, I probably should have phrased it better.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:50:26 PM
At 5/14/2014 4:49:11 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
At 5/14/2014 4:47:30 PM, thett3 wrote:

Rules for gamblers:

Eligible debates:

Yeah, that's what I meant, I probably should have phrased it better.

But, on second thought, a min ELO of 3000 from each side separately seems better.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:54:55 PM
At 5/14/2014 4:48:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:

Rules for gamblers:

Eligible debates:

How it works:

if Mikal wins.

If bluesteel wins.

So...no real money is used? What is this, then? Is it supposed to be some kind of imaginary "point" system where people spend hours on this Site trying to gain the most of these imaginary points, kind of like ELO?

It's essentially an unofficial ELO, but I'll post a leaderboard at the start of every month in the misc section, so everyone can brag about it in the same way they do with ELO.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:55:31 PM
At 5/14/2014 4:54:55 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

Rules for gamblers:

Eligible debates:

How it works:

if Mikal wins.

If bluesteel wins.

It's essentially an unofficial ELO, but I'll post a leaderboard at the start of every month in the misc section, so everyone can brag about it in the same way they do with ELO.

And if you ever left the Site, this system would come crashing down.
My View of the World:

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 4:59:41 PM
I'm with thett on this. It is an interesting idea, but there have been plenty of debates worth betting on between users with less than 4500 elo.
Examples
-whiteflame vs. Wylted
-RoyLatham vs. kbub
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 5:11:52 PM
At 5/14/2014 4:55:31 PM, Crescendo wrote:

Rules for gamblers:

Eligible debates:

How it works:

if Mikal wins.

If bluesteel wins.

There are plenty of statistic nerds that would be willing to take over, and, as you have said, they may have to a few times.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 5:12:18 PM
At 5/14/2014 4:59:41 PM, Romanii wrote:
I'm with thett on this. It is an interesting idea, but there have been plenty of debates worth betting on between users with less than 4500 elo.
Examples
-whiteflame vs. Wylted
-RoyLatham vs. kbub

See above. It's been changed to 3000
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 5:12:57 PM
At 5/14/2014 5:11:52 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

Rules for gamblers:

Eligible debates:

How it works:

if Mikal wins.

If bluesteel wins.

There are plenty of statistic nerds that would be willing to take over, and, as you have said, they may have to a few times.

I suppose you're right. But first, you'll have to get people to sign up.
My View of the World:

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 5:16:17 PM
At 5/14/2014 5:12:57 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 5/14/2014 5:11:52 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

Rules for gamblers:

Eligible debates:

How it works:

if Mikal wins.

If bluesteel wins.

I suppose you're right. But first, you'll have to get people to sign up.

The answer to that, my dear
http://1.bp.blogspot.com...
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

~mysteriouscrystals

~F-16

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 5:37:45 PM
The entire point of the gambling ring was that it was run on votes to encourage voting...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 8:08:25 PM
At 5/14/2014 8:07:25 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 5/14/2014 6:26:40 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Inb4 vote fraud to secure gambling wins

WOT DAT MEAN

And before
Nolite Timere