Jump to topic:

The death of DDO

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:43:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was talking with ClassicRobert tonight, and we both realized we can't even remember the last time we had a serious dialogue on DDO. I know people have been decrying the decline of the site for years, but I really think there's a point to be had about it. The site has *rapidly* tilted towards the social aspect instead of debating. I blame the opinions and polls sections, and the updating of the homepage deemphasizing debates.

I still remember the old times of reading debates as each round came in. Now, debates seem like a sideshow. Admittedly, a lot of this is just time but the quality of the site has surely declined. I look in the forums and I see, for the most part, and intellectual wasteland. The politics section has fallen, the DDO forum has become a secondary Facebook newsfeed, and the other forums are long gone. The last holdouts are the philosophy and parts of the society and science sections. I used to come on DDO and be flabbergasted by the intelligence of some of the users. While I still think we have an intelligence bunch, that allure is completely gone because the culture of the site has changed.

When people like STALIN have 90% win ratios, there is a problem. When getting people to vote is like pulling teeth, when the politics forum has become like the religious forum, and when the front page advertises such intellectual treasures as "Women are insane", "Can t police be racist?" and "Weapons" for each category there is a problem.

The truth is, if it wasn't for the people I don't want to lose contact with and the social events like the mafia games and the hang outs that keep me here. I guess that makes me part of the problem. We cannot change what Juggle does with the site, and their vision for it that is completely contrary to what made DDO great. We can however change our own behavior and actions.

I think a solution is outreach to the larger debate community, as people with formal debate experience are usually among the best of DDO members. We also need to get as many prominent members to debate as possible. Put the "debate" back into DDO. Whichever candidate can do that the best will get my vote. As it is, I can't see myself staying here much longer, and certainly not to gain any knowledge.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:46:15 PM
At 5/14/2014 10:43:50 PM, thett3 wrote:
I was talking with ClassicRobert tonight, and we both realized we can't even remember the last time we had a serious dialogue on DDO.

What do you want to have a serious dialogue about?
Tsar of DDO
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:48:00 PM
Well, I have quite a few serious debates with some very gifted debaters lined up for this summer, if that makes any difference...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:50:49 PM
At 5/14/2014 10:48:00 PM, Romanii wrote:
Well, I have quite a few serious debates with some very gifted debaters lined up for this summer, if that makes any difference...

I know man. There is still some hope to be had. I'm just feeling nostalgic. Who knows, maybe the problem is me not the site. I hope that's the case
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:52:45 PM
I'd be happy to have a discussion with you if you like. For me, though, the communal aspect is one of my favorite parts of the site, even though it is called DDO. Sure, I haven't seen many debates I've been interested in pursuing recently, but I've also enjoyed just socializing with other members and putting out Once Upon a DDO.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:53:56 PM
At 5/14/2014 10:52:45 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I'd be happy to have a discussion with you if you like. For me, though, the communal aspect is one of my favorite parts of the site, even though it is called DDO. Sure, I haven't seen many debates I've been interested in pursuing recently, but I've also enjoyed just socializing with other members and putting out Once Upon a DDO.

I've enjoyed your fanfic as well, and I agree. It's hard to think of really challenging stuff to talk about.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:55:45 PM

Your fanfic is amazing, Endarkened. And I'm not saying there's anything *wrong* with those aspects of the site. I just regret the decline of the debating culture.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:56:17 PM

Yeah. While debating should definitely be the main focus of the site, I think it would be kind of boring if the social aspect went missing.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:58:49 PM
At 5/14/2014 10:53:56 PM, YYW wrote:

I've enjoyed your fanfic as well, and I agree. It's hard to think of really challenging stuff to talk about.

Thank you! And, well, there's philosophy. In my experience, most people have a differing belief somewhere in there. But that's only for those who enjoy more...theoretical discussions.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:59:02 PM
At 5/14/2014 10:50:49 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/14/2014 10:48:00 PM, Romanii wrote:

I know man. There is still some hope to be had. I'm just feeling nostalgic. Who knows, maybe the problem is me not the site. I hope that's the case

There's always hope! It's just fashionably absent sometimes...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:00:15 PM
At 5/14/2014 10:55:45 PM, thett3 wrote:

Your fanfic is amazing, Endarkened. And I'm not saying there's anything *wrong* with those aspects of the site. I just regret the decline of the debating culture.

Thanks, Thett!
Okay. I can understand that. I remember when I used to follow DDO (before I had an account, when it was orange and blue), there was such a large debating culture. I never even noticed forums back then - it was all debates, silly or otherwise.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:00:39 PM
At 5/14/2014 10:58:49 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Thank you! And, well, there's philosophy. In my experience, most people have a differing belief somewhere in there. But that's only for those who enjoy more...theoretical discussions.

You know what a really creative debate topic is? Evolution!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:01:47 PM

Right, and I think that there's a real chance for the site to reemerge as something better than it was. It's just about shaping the norms that govern member's behavior. We've all got to agree to a few basic things: hard hitting intellectual stuff is good, site culture stuff (like fanfics or TWS) are also good, nonsense is bad, etc. To get the kind of result thett wants requires collective participation, though... and it's this site's senior members who should be taking the lead on that.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:02:16 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:00:39 PM, Romanii wrote:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:03:13 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:02:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 5/14/2014 11:00:39 PM, Romanii wrote:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net...

Well said.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:03:18 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:01:47 PM, YYW wrote:

Right, and I think that there's a real chance for the site to reemerge as something better than it was. It's just about shaping the norms that govern member's behavior. We've all got to agree to a few basic things: hard hitting intellectual stuff is good, site culture stuff (like fanfics or TWS) are also good, nonsense is bad, etc. To get the kind of result thett wants requires collective participation, though... and it's this site's senior members who should be taking the lead on that.

Then I say go for it. Lead by example. Set out a bunch of intriguing debate topics or forum discussions.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:04:39 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:03:18 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Then I say go for it. Lead by example. Set out a bunch of intriguing debate topics or forum discussions.

http://www.debate.org...

Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:05:14 PM
I was talking with ClassicRobert tonight, and we both realized we can't even remember the last time we had a serious dialogue on DDO. I know people have been decrying the decline of the site for years, but I really think there's a point to be had about it. The site has *rapidly* tilted towards the social aspect instead of debating. I blame the opinions and polls sections, and the updating of the homepage deemphasizing debates.

I think that these may simply be cyclical changes. I can see DDO oscillating between debate and forums and back again.

I still remember the old times of reading debates as each round came in. Now, debates seem like a sideshow. Admittedly, a lot of this is just time but the quality of the site has surely declined. I look in the forums and I see, for the most part, and intellectual wasteland. The politics section has fallen, the DDO forum has become a secondary Facebook newsfeed, and the other forums are long gone. The last holdouts are the philosophy and parts of the society and science sections. I used to come on DDO and be flabbergasted by the intelligence of some of the users. While I still think we have an intelligence bunch, that allure is completely gone because the culture of the site has changed.

Want to discuss something?

When people like STALIN have 90% win ratios, there is a problem. When getting people to vote is like pulling teeth, when the politics forum has become like the religious forum, and when the front page advertises such intellectual treasures as "Women are insane", "Can t police be racist?" and "Weapons" for each category there is a problem.

Agreed...But I think that we can also cite some good threads amidst all of these...less than stellar...threads.

The truth is, if it wasn't for the people I don't want to lose contact with and the social events like the mafia games and the hang outs that keep me here. I guess that makes me part of the problem. We cannot change what Juggle does with the site, and their vision for it that is completely contrary to what made DDO great. We can however change our own behavior and actions.

I think a solution is outreach to the larger debate community, as people with formal debate experience are usually among the best of DDO members. We also need to get as many prominent members to debate as possible. Put the "debate" back into DDO. Whichever candidate can do that the best will get my vote.

I am up for that debate in a few weeks if you want. Would you be interested in doing a DDO ELITE debate tourney, limited to people with 4,000 ELO or higher? I tried to do one a while ago, but I'm up for resurrecting it if you'd help me recruit.

As it is, I can't see myself staying here much longer, and certainly not to gain any knowledge.

DON'T YOU DARE LEAVE!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:07:31 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:04:39 PM, YYW wrote:

The Gauntlet Tournament is a good example. And didn't Mikal have some Pokemon challenge set up?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:08:24 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:07:31 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

The Gauntlet Tournament is a good example. And didn't Mikal have some Pokemon challenge set up?

Idk... but somehow I don't think a Pokemon challenge is what thett was talking about.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:09:03 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:08:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/14/2014 11:07:31 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Idk... but somehow I don't think a Pokemon challenge is what thett was talking about.

It was more debates which would hopefully have some measure of quality.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:09:37 PM

It's just you dude. I came back, had 2 debates, and burnout set back in. I wouldn't have stayed this time if not for the social aspects.

Debating just gets old and seems tedious. And after awhile, you've seen all the arguments on all the major issues. It is harder to find a refreshing intellectual position that you haven't already seen. When you first get here, everything seems new.

The new car smell is gone. That is all.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:11:54 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:09:37 PM, bluesteel wrote:

It's just you dude. I came back, had 2 debates, and burnout set back in. I wouldn't have stayed this time if not for the social aspects.

Debating just gets old and seems tedious. And after awhile, you've seen all the arguments on all the major issues. It is harder to find a refreshing intellectual position that you haven't already seen. When you first get here, everything seems new.

Yeah, that's probably part of it. Rumors of DDO's death have been greatly exaggerated in the past, but I can't help but feel there really has been a decline.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:13:55 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:11:54 PM, thett3 wrote:

Yeah, that's probably part of it. Rumors of DDO's death have been greatly exaggerated in the past, but I can't help but feel there really has been a decline.

danielle is gone; that's a decline by itself
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:15:33 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:13:55 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/14/2014 11:11:54 PM, thett3 wrote:

danielle is gone; that's a decline by itself

but new users have arisen and old users who have gotten more involved...

it ebbs and flows, but as long as the core site membership is small, one user leaving has a huge impact.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:17:41 PM
It is time to stop trying to live in the old days. We can certainly learn from then about what made this site good, but we need to accept that members come and go and that site culture will change.

What we need to accept is that DDO exists to deliver profit, not to make a tiny population of dedicated DDO members happy.

However despite this, it is us that can turn this site around a bit. Try to be more active, try to post in forums frequently, try to add to intellectual discussion and most of all do some serious debates! New members will come and learn from the standards we set! We can create a flourishing culture but it needs to begin with us! We all need to keep our heads up and try to be optimistic.

On a related note: I plan on doing several serious debates including my 100th debate (which will be in about a week) so tune in!
Nolite Timere
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:20:29 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:17:41 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
It is time to stop trying to live in the old days. We can certainly learn from then about what made this site good, but we need to accept that members come and go and that site culture will change.

What we need to accept is that DDO exists to deliver profit, not to make a tiny population of dedicated DDO members happy.

Yes, I know.

However despite this, it is us that can turn this site around a bit. Try to be more active, try to post in forums frequently, try to add to intellectual discussion and most of all do some serious debates! New members will come and learn from the standards we set! We can create a flourishing culture but it needs to begin with us! We all need to keep our heads up and try to be optimistic.

Right on

On a related note: I plan on doing several serious debates including my 100th debate (which will be in about a week) so tune in!

Will do! What topics?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett