Jump to topic:

forfeiture?

numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 11:07:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I just joined and I accepted two debate challenges. Neither opponent posted arguments for the second round, what happens now? I am going to post my arguments anyway but I can't seem to find anywhere on the forum what happens where someone forfeits. Can someone tell me?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 11:08:57 AM
You can post arguments if you want, either way if they forfeit you'll get the win automatically.

If you want a debate with someone who won't forfeit, I'll debate you
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 11:44:28 AM
At 5/15/2014 11:07:35 AM, numberwang wrote:
I just joined and I accepted two debate challenges. Neither opponent posted arguments for the second round, what happens now? I am going to post my arguments anyway but I can't seem to find anywhere on the forum what happens where someone forfeits. Can someone tell me?

You should post your arguments anyway because if your opponent forfeits one round, but doesn't forfeit any subsequent round, some of the voters will penalize your opponent in conduct but not give you an automatic win unless it was the last round they forfeited.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 12:34:52 PM
There are 3 and 4 rounds left in the debates that were forfeited. After I post my arguments, if they forfeit again, will the debate automatically end? Or will I have to keep posting something and wait for the full time to expire on each of their argument phases before they end?
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 12:44:24 PM
Just post "extend all arguments" in each subsequent round.

Also when they enter the voting period, be sure to post them at http://www.debate.org...
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 12:44:49 PM
At 5/15/2014 12:34:52 PM, numberwang wrote:
There are 3 and 4 rounds left in the debates that were forfeited. After I post my arguments, if they forfeit again, will the debate automatically end? Or will I have to keep posting something and wait for the full time to expire on each of their argument phases before they end?

The debate doesn't automatically end. I would continue to post something in each of your rounds because if you both forfeit, nobody will vote, or it'll be a tie. You don't have to keep arguing, though. Just say, "Carry my arguments forward," or something like that.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 12:58:54 PM
At 5/15/2014 11:08:57 AM, thett3 wrote:
You can post arguments if you want, either way if they forfeit you'll get the win automatically.

Lol.
If you want a debate with someone who won't forfeit, I'll debate you
Dude... Stop...
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 12:59:47 PM
At 5/15/2014 12:34:52 PM, numberwang wrote:

The latter.
Dude... Stop...