Jump to topic:

The plot thickens: presidential run 2014

orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 2:28:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
TL;DR: In the aftermath of Larz's decision to leave the site, I am running for the DDO presidency.

Yesterday, Larztheloser decided to leave DDO, for how long we do not know. I'm not going to wade into the behaviour which caused him to wish to leave the site, or whether or not it was justified, or who was or wasn"t in the right (if anyone), because that's not my job and I don"t think any of us are in possession of all the facts.

What's important, from my perspective, is that I don"t want Larz's campaign to be dropped. It was the campaign which impressed me the most (which is why I signed up to work in his administration), and I thought Larz the best performer in the Town Hall debates. Larz's core ideas of presidential activism that focussed on actually improving the elements we have using the power the president has, as opposed to lobbying Juggle and the moderators (possibly in vain) is an ideal which neither of the other main candidates has really embraced at the heart of their campaigns.

And if Larz isn't here to defend that, then I'm going to step in and defend it myself with this presidential run. Let me make this clear: I know that I stand a snowball"s chance in hell of winning this election. If I were to be elected, I would absolutely serve the job to the best of my ability, but this campaign is primarily to serve to keep the ideas that I shared with him in the circle and under discussion.

So, here goes. The orangemayhem campaign platform 2014.

Relationship with Juggle

I think the other campaigns will lack credibility with Juggle to a certain extent because they intend to go in on day one with a list of things they want to be achieved within two or three presidential terms which, in terms of DDO standard update time (approximately one update every four months), is very quickly indeed. Given that TUF has reported that Juggle do not want to code in the near future, this campaign seeks to work with our overlords, instead of just nagging them vociferously. I will not march in on day one and demand talks with Juggle about proposed changes; I will focus on making improvements to the site using the powers of the president, to demonstrate to Juggle that we are a functional society and the debating side is sufficiently strong to warrant the effort of coding things like team debates.

If Juggle ask me what improvements to prioritise, I will put that question to the DDO community at that point; but I'm not making promises because I think trying to push Juggle is not working.

Relationship with The Mods and Neutrality

As is often forgotten or not clarified sufficiently, the president is not automatically made a moderator. I think that's absolutely right and, if I were elected and Juggle offered me a moderator position, I would probably turn it down.

As President, I will enact a policy of not getting involved in flame wars. I think the President (and the Moderators for that matter) should remain as independent as possible, and so I will avoid vitriolic situations as much as possible. This way I can clear the way to a key part of my platform: mediation services.

When Airmax announced the "new" moderation policy, opinion amongst our community divided fiercely. Regardless of whether or not you are in favour of the policy, there is nothing I can do as president to force the mods to change. (For the record, I think the enactment of the policy was badly managed, and a lot of hurt could have been avoided whilst still retaining the same key principles). What I can do, however, is to try to stop people filing reports and complaints against each other when an independent adjudicator could handle proceedings in a much better fashion.

As President, I would open my (metaphorical) office to any members who have a disagreement or a flame war and work to mediate a positive solution between them without Mod action needing to be taken, as opposed to having to call in Airmax/Ore_Ele to wield their Banhammers, and thus create more division and strife.
Whilst I won't be and don't want to be a Mod, I think a lot of the controversy over their role comes because we simply use them too much, and the President could ease this burden within his or her powers.

Presidential initiatives

There isn't enough time to go into heaps of detail here, but here are the cornerstones of the president-led activities I would initiate. Many of these would be handled by my VP - I do not have one as yet, and will only appoint one if a candidate of suitable calibre throws their weight behind my campaign.

- varying styles of president-led tournaments, using different formats (such as emulating international debating tournaments)
- a major expansion of the Adopt-a-Noob programme, with all noobs being allocated a senior mentor following the completion of their third debate (in which they must post actual arguments)
- weekly updates (under my administration these would actually happen, and be weekly), with complete transparency and no political hiding of the truth
- a centrally-organised system of revision debates for students, and foreign language debates for language students, to encourage people to this site to actively take part in the debating side for their own personal advancement (this would really kick in later in the year, but this term would get the kinks out of the format / organisation system)
- regular voting tournaments, with people using threads and PMs to me/VP to judge the votes of the competing voters, to make voting cool

Concluding message

I want to repeat something here that I said earlier: I know that I am extremely unlikely to win this election. I'm not incredibly active in the forums, I'm not making sexy promises about demanding team debates, I'm not an insider in TUF"s administration.

What I do have, however, is the fact that I have free time, I have experience of organising things such as tournaments, and the platform I propose to enact is one that is very much focussed on what the president can actively deliver. I may not be promising the moon and the stars, but there is no denying that this campaign does not make outlandish promises and everything is achievable.

You're not voting for a Mod, you're not voting for a Juggle employee, you're voting for someone to have the mandate to implement good ideas and policies within the powers which are actually afforded to the President. Look beyond the fact you may not have seen my name much; Airmax and bsh1 were not celebrities when they ran very successful campaigns (albeit bsh1 not winning, but still making a phenomenal impact). Look beyond my age; I will be 18 at or shortly after the election (and you wouldn't want me to lose on my birthday!). The fact that I'm proposing novel ideas, and have a new take on the direction of the site, shows that this is a campaign that works.

Take this campaign seriously - even if you choose not to vote for it - and these issues will stay on the agenda. I don't expect to win, but I am prepared to win, and this campaign will be taken seriously.

Let me know if you have any questions - though remember that I'm on a different time zone to most of you!
I'm back (ish).
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 4:29:48 PM
Bump. I think this platform could easily compete with the other ones out there.
I am now even more conflicted over who to vote for...
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 4:45:41 PM
So Larz leaves and you decide to declare less than 24 hours later?

I may be alone in this sentiment, and please let me know if this is uncouth, but I find that to be in poor taste, especially when we still don't know Larz's status with respect to the election.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 5:15:14 PM
I really like this platform. Definitely making this a harder decision.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 7:54:17 PM
At 5/15/2014 2:28:04 PM, orangemayhem wrote:
TL;DR: In the aftermath of Larz's decision to leave the site, I am running for the DDO presidency.

Yesterday, Larztheloser decided to leave DDO, for how long we do not know. I'm not going to wade into the behaviour which caused him to wish to leave the site, or whether or not it was justified, or who was or wasn"t in the right (if anyone), because that's not my job and I don"t think any of us are in possession of all the facts.

A prudent decision.

What's important, from my perspective, is that I don"t want Larz's campaign to be dropped. It was the campaign which impressed me the most (which is why I signed up to work in his administration), and I thought Larz the best performer in the Town Hall debates. Larz's core ideas of presidential activism that focussed on actually improving the elements we have using the power the president has, as opposed to lobbying Juggle and the moderators (possibly in vain) is an ideal which neither of the other main candidates has really embraced at the heart of their campaigns.

I appreciate your optimism, but it's unlikely that most of the thins Larz wanted to do would be achievable -for a series of institutional reasons that relate less to DDO/the community and more to Juggle.

Relationship with Juggle

I think the other campaigns will lack credibility with Juggle to a certain extent because they intend to go in on day one with a list of things they want to be achieved within two or three presidential terms which, in terms of DDO standard update time (approximately one update every four months), is very quickly indeed.

There is something to be said for the difficulties of working with some aspects of Juggle, sure. But, the only practical difference, as far as I can tell, between you and the other candidates is that whereas they have proposed some changes which we acknowledge will be difficult to facilitate/implement, you don't really want to even go so far as to to promise that. I'd also suggest that the proposal to get every debate voted on is infinitely more possible because, rather than changing Juggle, it only requires leadership within the community. And I think it's unfair to other candidates to disparage their ability to facilitate 'community' change, however daunting it may be to get Juggle to do stuff.

Relationship with The Mods and Neutrality

As president, you would not have the authority to do that. Even if you did, the new moderation policy already achieves the ends you seek. But even still, the president has no authority to deal with member dispute issues. Mods, and only mods, do.

Presidential initiatives
- varying styles of president-led tournaments, using different formats (such as emulating international debating tournaments)

Every other candidate will do that.

- a major expansion of the Adopt-a-Noob programme, with all noobs being allocated a senior mentor following the completion of their third debate (in which they must post actual arguments)

Others have also suggested that.

- weekly updates (under my administration these would actually happen, and be weekly), with complete transparency and no political hiding of the truth

Other candidates have talked about that too.

- a centrally-organised system of revision debates for students, and foreign language debates for language students, to encourage people to this site to actively take part in the debating side for their own personal advancement (this would really kick in later in the year, but this term would get the kinks out of the format / organisation system)

Ok, that's neat... but what exactly is a "revision" debate?

- regular voting tournaments, with people using threads and PMs to me/VP to judge the votes of the competing voters, to make voting cool

Other candidates have already covered that too. So far, there's nothing unique about what you're offering -meaning that there's no reason that I or anyone else should vote for you over any other candidate. That's not a personal slight, it's just a statement of fact.
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 7:55:46 PM
At 5/15/2014 5:28:11 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Who are you?

lol
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 8:03:26 PM
At 5/15/2014 7:55:46 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Who are you?

lol

He's a guy who wants to make this site a better place, and I commend him for his interest -but he hasn't given us a reason to vote for him, specifically, because all the things he'd have the power to do, other people have already said they would.

I don't really see why he doesn't want to talk about working with Juggle, either. I mean, it may very well be that no candidate will be able to achieve anything with Juggle, but we don't know that that's the case. Even if it is the case now, we don't know that it will be in the future. And I think it's generally pretty agreeable that it's better to shoot for stars and hit the moon than not even take aim.
Tsar of DDO
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 1:33:42 AM
Who are you?

I'm the one who wrote a 10-page RFD on your debate with Jifpop, if that helps.

But it's not that important who I am, because I am not here to win this election. I'm the moral equivalent of an independent candidate: I'm in the race to make sure that the issues of my campaign are talked about and will drop out when I believe those issues have been recognised by the other campaigns and acknowledged in their platforms.
I'm back (ish).
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 1:34:41 AM
At 5/15/2014 4:45:41 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

I may be alone in this sentiment, and please let me know if this is uncouth, but I find that to be in poor taste, especially when we still don't know Larz's status with respect to the election.

I have spoken to Larz. I will leave it there, because of Larz's right to tell his own story. But he knows of this and thinks I will be a good advocate.
I'm back (ish).
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 1:42:37 AM
At 5/15/2014 8:03:26 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/15/2014 7:55:46 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Who are you?

lol

He's a guy who wants to make this site a better place, and I commend him for his interest -but he hasn't given us a reason to vote for him, specifically, because all the things he'd have the power to do, other people have already said they would.

I don't really see why he doesn't want to talk about working with Juggle, either. I mean, it may very well be that no candidate will be able to achieve anything with Juggle, but we don't know that that's the case. Even if it is the case now, we don't know that it will be in the future. And I think it's generally pretty agreeable that it's better to shoot for stars and hit the moon than not even take aim.

Responding to this post because it's shorter:

As I said in my campaign, in the exceptionally unlikely event of me being elected, and if Juggle asked me what changes they'd like to prioritise, that is a question I would pose to DDO. I'm not going to say "no, we're happy as we are"!

What I am saying, though, is that I'm not going to conduct my campaign around promises which we know we can't guarantee - everything in this platform is achievable (I wasn't sure what your objection was to the 'Relationship with The Mods' strand, as the core of it is free mediation services - not promised by other candidates - to avoid flame wars and look for a peaceful non-ban resolution).

Going back to my attitude to Juggle, I think it's also worth remembering that Juggle have explicitly said they want to improve the aspects of the site which attract the largest number of users - at the moment, Polls and Opinions. The core of my platform looks to improve the other two areas of the site (Debates and Forums) so that they're not desolate wastelands of forfeits and flame wars, and thus new users and old users will be more attracted to them, and therefore Juggle will see the benefit of implementing things like Team Debates.

On the whole, although we criticise Juggle on occasion for not listening to us, I think the reverse is also true - if we listen to and work with Juggle and their priorities, I think a lot more will get done.
I'm back (ish).
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 2:08:36 AM
At 5/15/2014 5:15:14 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Wow. Cheers!
I'm back (ish).
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 2:40:34 AM
A lot of great members running in this election. This is actually going to be very tough to decide.

You're one candidate I'm keeping my eye on.
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 7:58:34 AM
At 5/16/2014 2:40:34 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
A lot of great members running in this election. This is actually going to be very tough to decide.

You're one candidate I'm keeping my eye on.

Thanks!
I'm back (ish).
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 8:00:04 AM
At 5/16/2014 2:08:36 AM, orangemayhem wrote:

Wow. Cheers!

That being said, you've been on the site for over a year and you only have a little more than 200 forum posts. This is sending up a bit of a red flag in terms of actual community involvement. What would be your response to that?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 12:41:46 PM
At 5/16/2014 8:00:04 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 5/16/2014 2:08:36 AM, orangemayhem wrote:

Wow. Cheers!

That being said, you've been on the site for over a year and you only have a little more than 200 forum posts. This is sending up a bit of a red flag in terms of actual community involvement. What would be your response to that?

My response to that is twofold.

Primarily, I'd point out again that I don't expect to win this election and that's not necessarily what I'm fighting this campaign for. Whilst I believe I would be a good president, and in the extremely unlikely event that I were to be elected I would take the job extremely seriously, I'm more running this campaign to demonstrate that the issues I want to talk about have popular support and are issues the other candidates should seriously consider. I've publicly said that my priority is for my points to be acknowledged and carried forward by whoever wins DDO's vote; not becoming the president myself. I would very happily take the former without the latter and, indeed, that's really what I'm aiming for.

But likewise, I would point out that my platform and the broadly positive response to it demonstrates an understanding of the DDO community which, in my opinion, is more important than having 3000+ posts when most of these come from mafia and flame wars. The fact that someone like you can state that you like my platform is, in my opinion, important. Moreover I'd point out that Airmax was not a celebrity when he was elected, nor was bsh1 in his first presidential run, and kbub is also a new member.

I hope that answers your questions. It means a lot to be taken seriously.
I'm back (ish).
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 12:47:06 PM

Romanii #2
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 12:52:34 PM
At 5/16/2014 12:47:06 PM, Mikal wrote:

Romanii #2

Lol

orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 2:17:41 PM
At 5/16/2014 12:52:34 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Romanii #2

Lol

Romanii #2, #3, #4 ad infinitum is fine by me!
I'm back (ish).
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 2:44:38 PM
At 5/16/2014 2:17:41 PM, orangemayhem wrote:

Romanii #2

Lol

http://mrwgifs.com...
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 2:48:36 PM
At 5/16/2014 2:44:38 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 5/16/2014 2:17:41 PM, orangemayhem wrote:

Romanii #2

Lol

http://mrwgifs.com...

I did recognise it as a joke, though cheers for pointing it out in case I hadn't.

And anyway, the gif is funny. If the situation appears anything like that gif then I can die happy by virtue of having brilliant comic timing.
I'm back (ish).
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 1:32:46 AM

Just as a brief update on this, I've just had an email from Larz wishing me well on my campaign, so there's no bad blood.
I'm back (ish).
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 2:51:30 AM
At 5/17/2014 1:32:46 AM, orangemayhem wrote:

Just as a brief update on this, I've just had an email from Larz wishing me well on my campaign, so there's no bad blood.

Fair enough.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics