Jump to topic:

Where are all the good debates?

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 1:52:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I just went through the open challenge debates, and I did not find one single resolution that had the potential to yield a decent debate. This is a serious issue for a website whose stated goal is to be the premier online debate site.

There are some very prolific debaters on this site. Where are they?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 1:56:08 PM
At 5/16/2014 1:52:38 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
I just went through the open challenge debates, and I did not find one single resolution that had the potential to yield a decent debate. This is a serious issue for a website whose stated goal is to be the premier online debate site.

What would you like to debate, Pots?
Tsar of DDO
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 1:57:21 PM

Already involved in the good debates?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 1:58:25 PM

Maybe they're all burned out because they've debated everything they want to debate already. I remember when I first joined, a lot of the prominent debater on this site would post open challenges fairly regularly, but they don't seem to do that anymore. There are a lot more debates to choose from now than there were then, but the quality has definitely diminished. Of course that could be a matter of personal preferences. None of the open debates now interest me that much.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 2:03:57 PM
At 5/16/2014 1:56:08 PM, YYW wrote:

What would you like to debate, Pots?

Anything really. I am already full on debates at the moment, but I would love to debate you when they are done. I am simply frustrated that the only open debates are a load of sh!t. I joined six months ago, not a very long time, and it was way better than this. I hate think of what it might be like in another six months if this trend continues.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:10:13 PM
Debates have been so de emphasized, it's sad. There's this guy I'm arguing with who not only won't debate me, he won't even *acknowledge* that I'm chile ging him to debate.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:12:23 PM

Most of the good debaters don't post open challenges anymore.
They generally plan out debates with specific users beforehand and challenge them directly, nowadays.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:14:24 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:10:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
Debates have been so de emphasized, it's sad. There's this guy I'm arguing with who not only won't debate me, he won't even *acknowledge* that I'm challenging him to debate.

fixed
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:15:15 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:14:24 PM, thett3 wrote:
Debates have been so de emphasized, it's sad. There's this guy I'm arguing with who not only won't debate me, he won't even *acknowledge* that I'm challenging him to debate.

fixed

Who is that?
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:18:37 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:15:15 PM, YYW wrote:

fixed

Who is that?

Dylancatlow
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:18:59 PM
Debates have been so de emphasized, it's sad. There's this guy I'm arguing with who not only won't debate me, he won't even *acknowledge* that I'm chile ging him to debate.

Im in the same boat with two different people. Only, i'm pretty sure that its because they know that there is no evidence for their argument, and they would lose.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:24:54 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:18:37 PM, thett3 wrote:

fixed

Who is that?

Dylancatlow

What's the topic?
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:27:44 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:24:54 PM, YYW wrote:

fixed

Who is that?

Dylancatlow

What's the topic?

He said that Europeans showed the Australian aborigines how to live a life that is less "savage". I came back with the fact that Western society has it's own savagery, like destroying the environment, large scale war, and soul crushing labor. He didn't really understand any of these points, so he just argued straw men and wouldn't acknowledge my challenge to debate him on the resolution "The west is morally superior to hunter gatherer societies" with me on neg.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:38:11 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:27:44 PM, thett3 wrote:

fixed

Who is that?

Dylancatlow

What's the topic?

He said that Europeans showed the Australian aborigines how to live a life that is less "savage". I came back with the fact that Western society has it's own savagery, like destroying the environment, large scale war, and soul crushing labor. He didn't really understand any of these points, so he just argued straw men and wouldn't acknowledge my challenge to debate him on the resolution "The west is morally superior to hunter gatherer societies" with me on neg.

I mean, Europeans did, to some extent, teach/show the Aborigines how to live in accordance with European social norms -and if you're measuring savagery by comparing it to the degree to which a society confirms to European social norms, then Dylan's argument holds. Whether that's a sufficient metric or not would most probably be contentious... though that's generally how (despite the anti-Multiculturalist/anti-pluralist/politically incorrectness/etc.) Westerners judge other cultures.

Even still, "savagery" can be defined either as being "fierce or cruel" or as "an uncivilized or undeveloped living state." While war/war-like conflict occurred both in Aboriginal cultures and in Europe, that doesn't really seem like much of a turning point for me. The environmental point might carry, but by definition Europe and the west are 'the first world' and other countries, and it's hard to argue that (at least with to that latter definition of savagery) the Aborigines are "developed" in any meaningful way.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:48:11 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:38:11 PM, YYW wrote:

fixed

Who is that?

Dylancatlow

What's the topic?

I mean, Europeans did, to some extent, teach/show the Aborigines how to live in accordance with European social norms -and if you're measuring savagery by comparing it to the degree to which a society confirms to European social norms, then Dylan's argument holds. Whether that's a sufficient metric or not would most probably be contentious... though that's generally how (despite the anti-Multiculturalist/anti-pluralist/politically incorrectness/etc.) Westerners judge other cultures.

Exactly, and his arguments lacked the warrant that the European way is the better way. As a matter of fact, the whole "oh all cultures are equal and great in their own way" isnt even a position I buy, but the ignorance and cultural snobbery in his post was too much for me.

Even still, "savagery" can be defined either as being "fierce or cruel" or as "an uncivilized or undeveloped living state."

It was most certainly using the first definition.

While war/war-like conflict occurred both in Aboriginal cultures and in Europe, that doesn't really seem like much of a turning point for me. The environmental point might carry, but by definition Europe and the west are 'the first world' and other countries, and it's hard to argue that (at least with to that latter definition of savagery) the Aborigines are "developed" in any meaningful way.

The environmental point most certainly carries. His basic argument was that European society was better because it utilized more intelligence. The environmental impact turns that, because our "intelligence" is literally destroying the world meaning is utility is negative.

Keep in mind that this isn't a position I necessarily endorse.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:52:19 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:48:11 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/16/2014 4:38:11 PM, YYW wrote:

fixed

Who is that?

Dylancatlow

What's the topic?

Exactly, and his arguments lacked the warrant that the European way is the better way. As a matter of fact, the whole "oh all cultures are equal and great in their own way" isnt even a position I buy, but the ignorance and cultural snobbery in his post was too much for me.

Getting a "White Man's Burden" type feel to it? lol

Even still, "savagery" can be defined either as being "fierce or cruel" or as "an uncivilized or undeveloped living state."

It was most certainly using the first definition.

lol, well... that's interesting.

While war/war-like conflict occurred both in Aboriginal cultures and in Europe, that doesn't really seem like much of a turning point for me. The environmental point might carry, but by definition Europe and the west are 'the first world' and other countries, and it's hard to argue that (at least with to that latter definition of savagery) the Aborigines are "developed" in any meaningful way.

The environmental point most certainly carries. His basic argument was that European society was better because it utilized more intelligence. The environmental impact turns that, because our "intelligence" is literally destroying the world meaning is utility is negative.

Sure, but it's not necessarily "savage."

Keep in mind that this isn't a position I necessarily endorse.
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:54:54 PM
"Where are all the good debates?" They all died with the advent of semantics, political correctness and the race card.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 5:31:18 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:18:59 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Im in the same boat with two different people. Only, i'm pretty sure that its because they know that there is no evidence for their argument, and they would lose.

My educated guesses: Fatihah and bulproof
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 5:58:36 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:54:54 PM, sadolite wrote:
"Where are all the good debates?" They all died with the advent of semantics, political correctness and the race card.

Semantics and anybody mentioning morality is automatically forced into a relativism debate.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 6:02:58 PM
At 5/16/2014 5:58:36 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Semantics and anybody mentioning morality is automatically forced into a relativism debate.

Ya , those are utterly boring debates. neither side willing to take a stand. I like to call them puzzy debates
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 6:05:06 PM
At 5/16/2014 6:02:58 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/16/2014 5:58:36 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Ya , those are utterly boring debates. neither side willing to take a stand. I like to call them puzzy debates

The problem is that it prevents debate, because you cannot even agree on the common ground on which to debate. Thus people don't even try to debate certain topics anymore because they won't end up debating what they set out to debate.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 6:09:10 PM

fixed

Who is that?

Dylancatlow

What's the topic?

He said that Europeans showed the Australian aborigines how to live a life that is less "savage". I came back with the fact that Western society has it's own savagery, like destroying the environment, large scale war, and soul crushing labor.

I'll say it again: it's essentially the difference between adults and children (in terms of development). Coming up with parallels to this analogy is very easy.

He didn't really understand any of these points, so he just argued straw men and wouldn't acknowledge my challenge to debate him on the resolution

I don't want to debate this issue with anyone who is too sensitive about it (which you evidently are).
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 6:43:24 PM
At 5/16/2014 5:31:18 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 5/16/2014 4:18:59 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

My educated guesses: Fatihah and bulproof

Is bulproof a troll?
Nolite Timere
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 8:00:52 PM
@YYW - your sig made my day

@Pots - We can debate something if you like. Just wait until after the 27th.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 12:49:59 AM
At 5/16/2014 6:09:10 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

fixed

Who is that?

Dylancatlow

What's the topic?

He said that Europeans showed the Australian aborigines how to live a life that is less "savage". I came back with the fact that Western society has it's own savagery, like destroying the environment, large scale war, and soul crushing labor.

I'll say it again: it's essentially the difference between adults and children (in terms of development). Coming up with parallels to this analogy is very easy.

He didn't really understand any of these points, so he just argued straw men and wouldn't acknowledge my challenge to debate him on the resolution

I don't want to debate this issue with anyone who is too sensitive about it (which you evidently are).

That's the excuse of an intellectual coward. I'm not even remotely sensitive on the issue, I've said in this thread it isn't even a position I really endorse. I just think your arguments are really, really bad and snobbish. Even if I *was* sensitive on the issue that's even more reason to debate me because I have passion for the position.

You can keep making excuses, but no one is going to believe them. As it is the fact that you refused to even *acknowledge* that I asked you to debate *multiple times* and then come up with an incredibly lame excuse for why you don't want to shows quite clearly that you're too scared to back up your position for some reason.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett