Jump to topic:

Debate Boycott

Actionsspeak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 12:33:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
As of now i'm boycotting debates until a debate style that allows for team debate (2v2) is added to DDO. I will finish my current debate, and may participate in additional WC debates if necessary but as of now i'm done.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 1:00:11 AM
At 5/17/2014 12:33:46 AM, Actionsspeak wrote:
As of now i'm boycotting debates until a debate style that allows for team debate (2v2) is added to DDO. I will finish my current debate, and may participate in additional WC debates if necessary but as of now i'm done.

We tried doing team debates as an experiment, but there was very little interest. Here's an example.

http://www.debate.org...

Then, when edeb8 started, it came with a team debating function. I don't think a single team debate has been completed though.

People always talk about team debating, but seldom follow through on it. If you wanted, you could probably set up team debates here. You need to talk to Airmax is all.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 1:30:11 AM
Ohh. I see you already spoke to bladerunner about it.

The system isn't as complex as it sounds. The problem really isn't the system, but the lack of interest in participating. I mean we even had Raisor as a captain, and people were slow to sign up.

So why would Juggle bother to implement something that will never be used?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 1:37:44 AM

I can't believe this announcement came literally less than an hour after I tried to get a debate with you going.

Me and Garret would like to do a team debate.

We are pro -The Earth is flat-
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 1:49:45 AM
At 5/17/2014 1:37:44 AM, Wylted wrote:

I can't believe this announcement came literally less than an hour after I tried to get a debate with you going.

Define "Earth" and "flat"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 1:57:00 AM
At 5/17/2014 1:49:45 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Earth is the planet we reside on and due to mountains valleys etc., I think it would be hard to strictly define flat, by flat I basically mean it isn't a sphere.

I'll have to find a suitable definition of flat, I can't think of one now.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 2:07:32 AM
At 5/17/2014 1:57:00 AM, Wylted wrote:

Earth is the planet we reside on and due to mountains valleys etc., I think it would be hard to strictly define flat, by flat I basically mean it isn't a sphere.

Okay, because semantically (I'm not sure how you would argue without semantics), it has flat spots, but as a whole is not flat. Of course, it is not a perfect sphere, either.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 2:17:29 AM
At 5/17/2014 2:07:32 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Okay, because semantically (I'm not sure how you would argue without semantics), it has flat spots, but as a whole is not flat. Of course, it is not a perfect sphere, either.

I know, I'm very interested in doing this debate and without semantics. If Garrett follows through, we'll figure out a way to word the resolution and definitions, in a way that hopefully removes semantics. With or without him, I'll do this debate within the next 12 days against either a competent team of debator's or an individual.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 2:58:03 AM
At 5/17/2014 2:17:29 AM, Wylted wrote:

I know, I'm very interested in doing this debate and without semantics. If Garrett follows through, we'll figure out a way to word the resolution and definitions, in a way that hopefully removes semantics. With or without him, I'll do this debate within the next 12 days against either a competent team of debator's or an individual.

Well, pending the definitions, count me in (as CON). Though, this is one that I don't see how you can have a fair debate. It is either going to be a debate over definitions, or some psycho-philosophical mumbo jumbo.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 8:26:32 AM
How about no?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Actionsspeak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 10:14:34 AM
At 5/17/2014 2:17:29 AM, Wylted wrote:

I would love to have a 2v2 debate with you, for a teamate I will probably choose JuliusMaxims.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 12:53:34 PM

That's stupid. Why would you choose to boycott debates during a time where we need members to debate good topics the most? Team debates will come when they come. Be patient.
Nolite Timere
Actionsspeak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 1:13:44 PM
At 5/17/2014 12:53:34 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

That's stupid. Why would you choose to boycott debates during a time where we need members to debate good topics the most? Team debates will come when they come. Be patient.

That's subjective. 1. DDO has plenty of users debating serious topics. 2. No effort has been put in from juggle to create team debates, the only words i've heard are excuses like "They're not needed", "People might just not do them anyways", etc. Juggle has shown me that they have no interest in improving debates and due to that I have no interesting in taking part in the debates.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 1:18:42 PM
At 5/17/2014 1:13:44 PM, Actionsspeak wrote:
At 5/17/2014 12:53:34 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

That's subjective. 1. DDO has plenty of users debating serious topics.

No we don't. Like seriously we need a push for users to hold more serious debates. Most of our prominent users on this site have retired from debating.

2. No effort has been put in from juggle to create team debates, the only words i've heard are excuses like "They're not needed", "People might just not do them anyways", etc. Juggle has shown me that they have no interest in improving debates and due to that I have no interesting in taking part in the debates.

Team debates will be implemented, how long that will take I don't know, but they will be implemented.
Nolite Timere
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 2:01:22 PM
At 5/17/2014 5:10:30 AM, Romanii wrote:
Wylted should be crowned Devil's Advocate King...

Thank you
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 2:05:04 PM

Team debates are kind of like the new toy that every kid wants for Christmas, but which they'd only play with for a few weeks and then get bored with it.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 4:38:55 PM
At 5/17/2014 2:05:04 PM, YYW wrote:

Team debates are kind of like the new toy that every kid wants for Christmas, but which they'd only play with for a few weeks and then get bored with it.

this