Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

DDO Election: Campaign Post (again)

bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 5:56:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As we're getting closer to the election proper, I hope folks don't mind if I put forth a few further points in regards to my and bsh1's plans, if we're lucky enough to be elected as your President and VP, respectively.

I've tried to make clear in previous posts and in the interviews that I've participated in that I don't intend to just drop my platform ideas in Juggle's lap if I get elected. I wanted to show folks what my vision of the site moving forward was, and the type of thing that I'd like to get done to benefit us all. I think it's important that a presidential candidate show what his vision is.

But when dealing with Juggle, I'd just like to publicly state that we, the users, need to recognize their needs. As your president (or, as I said before, more as the diplomat between the users and Juggle), I'll be trying to talk with them to ensure that we find the best way to get our needs and their needs synched. I'm confident that I'll be able to work with them to get that done.

Things like site updates and voting reforms (including things like getting "hidden votes" implemented as an option) are important, and are things I'm going to work towards. But my site improvements platform should be viewed with an understanding that working with them is a two way street. I'll be filling in the community with the other side of that street as much as possible.

I'd also like to expand on something that I mentioned in Mikal's interview: Mediation services. I think ANY president should be available to mediate any disputes that arise--the community is important, and the goal is to get us all getting along as much as possible (whatever that "as much as possible" means...). But bsh1 and I plan on working towards getting something new: a team of mediators ready to help resolve some of the problematic disagreements in the hopes of keeping the amount of flames down as much as we can. Sure, sometimes flamewars are entertaining (admit it, everyone's found at least one entertaining!), but in the end, they often hurt the community. I'd like to work with the users and with a team of folks with the right disposition to mediate conflicts to, well, keep airmax from having to step in as much as we possibly can. In a perfect world, all he and Ore_ele would have to do is delete the Love Spam.

On a final note, in regards to what has been one of my most controversial campaign promises: A vote on every debate. I am wholly committed to that goal--and to that end, I've actually started working on that already! But in doing so, I've realized that I have to add one more caveat to that promise in the interest of being fully honest: There is a chance (slim, I hope!) that a debate gets somehow missed...which frightens me, because I don't make promises I don't keep. It's just the way I am.

So, to make sure that I AM keeping my promise, I'd just like to note that, should for some reason a debate get missed and be without votes, no matter what system is in place, any user should message me when it's getting down to around 24 hours left. That way I can make sure I really AM fulfilling my promise. I'd hate to break it by mistake!

I'd like to thank the other candidates who have run so far...all of them, for helping us keep this dialogue going as a community, but particularly kbub, whiteflame, and orangemayhem. I remain committed to including everyone who wants to help, but am specifically saying I'm hoping, if bsh1 and I are lucky enough to win, that they're willing to put the passion they had for the election into helping us.

Thanks DDO! And as always, if you have any questions for bsh1 or me, please feel free to ask 'em.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 6:01:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have a question for you, blade, if you wouldn't mind.

In listening to you, both in your recent interview and during the town hall, I get the sense that your approach is, to some extent, "don't let the perfect get in the way of the good" -- I obviously don't intend that as an insult in any way, but it was my impression that you'd prefer a policy that can be implemented tomorrow, and works, say, 30% of the time, over one that would take years and works 50% of the time.

So, would you say that the majority of your aims toward site reform require a long-term effort (perhaps because they require an extended effort from Juggle), or could they, like your voting promise, be implemented in a fairly short period of time?

Thanks, and it's great to see that you're putting so much effort into your campaign.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 6:14:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/18/2014 6:01:18 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
I have a question for you, blade, if you wouldn't mind.

In listening to you, both in your recent interview and during the town hall, I get the sense that your approach is, to some extent, "don't let the perfect get in the way of the good" -- I obviously don't intend that as an insult in any way, but it was my impression that you'd prefer a policy that can be implemented tomorrow, and works, say, 30% of the time, over one that would take years and works 50% of the time.

So, would you say that the majority of your aims toward site reform require a long-term effort (perhaps because they require an extended effort from Juggle), or could they, like your voting promise, be implemented in a fairly short period of time?

Thanks, and it's great to see that you're putting so much effort into your campaign.

Thanks for the question!

Yes, I would agree that I would prefer a system that works 30% of the time and can get implemented tomorrow, vs. one that works 50% or even 100% of the time but won't get implemented any time soon at all.

Not to be too much of a paramedic nerd, but I always tell my patients "Better is good. I like better." when I'm doing interventions...I may be trying to fix their problem completely, but I'll take as much "better" as I can get.

I think some of them will take awhile, and some of them won't necessarily (Like I said, my "every debate gets a vote" initiative has already started). Even on the more ambitious ones, though, I'm always going to be trying to find, and will always be open to, a quickly-implementable fix that at least helps further the overall goal even while I'm trying to get the "perfect" one implemented.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 6:15:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Eddie what do you feel about a thread/sticky where we can constantly update good debates going on or that are in need of votes?
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 6:26:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/18/2014 6:15:55 PM, Mikal wrote:
Eddie what do you feel about a thread/sticky where we can constantly update good debates going on or that are in need of votes?

I like it!

The point of asking to be PMd is that it acts as a fail-safe for me...but a thread like that could be a nice replacement for the (soon to be obsolete) "Post unvoted debates" thread...since there won't be any!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 7:02:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/18/2014 6:26:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/18/2014 6:15:55 PM, Mikal wrote:
Eddie what do you feel about a thread/sticky where we can constantly update good debates going on or that are in need of votes?

I like it!

The point of asking to be PMd is that it acts as a fail-safe for me...but a thread like that could be a nice replacement for the (soon to be obsolete) "Post unvoted debates" thread...since there won't be any!

I mean lets avoid like ff debates and make a thread that praises members for engaging in high quality debates.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 7:04:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/18/2014 7:02:18 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 5/18/2014 6:26:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/18/2014 6:15:55 PM, Mikal wrote:
Eddie what do you feel about a thread/sticky where we can constantly update good debates going on or that are in need of votes?

I like it!

The point of asking to be PMd is that it acts as a fail-safe for me...but a thread like that could be a nice replacement for the (soon to be obsolete) "Post unvoted debates" thread...since there won't be any!

I mean lets avoid like ff debates and make a thread that praises members for engaging in high quality debates.

Oh, I knew whatcha meant. I just figured I would agree with you and also repeat the PM thing so if someone DID misunderstand, they didn't think you were suggesting an alternative and I was agreeing to it...you were suggesting a supplement, and I was wholeheartedly agreeing to it.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 7:06:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/18/2014 7:04:36 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/18/2014 7:02:18 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 5/18/2014 6:26:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/18/2014 6:15:55 PM, Mikal wrote:
Eddie what do you feel about a thread/sticky where we can constantly update good debates going on or that are in need of votes?

I like it!

The point of asking to be PMd is that it acts as a fail-safe for me...but a thread like that could be a nice replacement for the (soon to be obsolete) "Post unvoted debates" thread...since there won't be any!

I mean lets avoid like ff debates and make a thread that praises members for engaging in high quality debates.

Oh, I knew whatcha meant. I just figured I would agree with you and also repeat the PM thing so if someone DID misunderstand, they didn't think you were suggesting an alternative and I was agreeing to it...you were suggesting a supplement, and I was wholeheartedly agreeing to it.

any idea on how to promote it? I may do a show in a bit listing some of the good debates and going over them if you want to join
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 7:09:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/18/2014 7:06:24 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 5/18/2014 7:04:36 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/18/2014 7:02:18 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 5/18/2014 6:26:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/18/2014 6:15:55 PM, Mikal wrote:
Eddie what do you feel about a thread/sticky where we can constantly update good debates going on or that are in need of votes?

I like it!

The point of asking to be PMd is that it acts as a fail-safe for me...but a thread like that could be a nice replacement for the (soon to be obsolete) "Post unvoted debates" thread...since there won't be any!

I mean lets avoid like ff debates and make a thread that praises members for engaging in high quality debates.

Oh, I knew whatcha meant. I just figured I would agree with you and also repeat the PM thing so if someone DID misunderstand, they didn't think you were suggesting an alternative and I was agreeing to it...you were suggesting a supplement, and I was wholeheartedly agreeing to it.

any idea on how to promote it? I may do a show in a bit listing some of the good debates and going over them if you want to join

PM me about it...Definitely interested in getting that going!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!