Jump to topic:

Daytona Strikes Back!

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 4:10:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well, Orangemayhem has dropped out of the presidential election. Kbub dropped out right before him. This means Bladerunner is running unopposed for president of DDO.

Now, some people may not have a problem with this fact. I know a great deal of the community is in support of Blade, for his run. But there is a sentiment that I strongly agree with, that is, that no candidate for office should run unopposed. This would ruin the whole point of the elections, as choice would be eliminated.

At this point, with no one else left to run, we are in danger of having a one-candidate election. However, I personally, shall intervene.

I am resubmitting my bid to become president of DDO.

Now, I know what a great deal of you are thinking. I dropped out before, and it seemed to indicate that there was no chance of me running, and that my own points go against another running by me for president. This is all well and good.

But ultimately, I believe in the principle strongly that no candidate should run unopposed. This is a strong belief of mine.

This new campaign will not have the same platform as the old one. I will not be endorsing the full-on repeal of the banning policy, nor will I push the new policy, that I included as a central tenet of my old platform.

I cannot endorse these ideas because I don't believe strongly enough in them myself, so why should I push it in my presidential campaign?

Rather, a Daytona presidency would focus on a strengthened community.

Idealistically, I'd want to have regular, big meetings with Juggle every 2 weeks, discussing important ideas that the community would have to offer, as well as ideas Juggle has in mind, and what they are developing, and I would hold emergency, or pushed meetings, if a situation occurred in which a meeting with Juggle should be held earlier.

I'd also want a closer bond officially with DDOFans with the regular community, maybe hosting special events over there.

I'd also like to institute monthly challenges. These aren't full-on debate tournaments, but rather, debate topics to maybe debate about, or maybe games, video creation, etc.

I'd also love to see the creation of tutorials for proper, quality RFD's to increase the quality of votes on the site, and to ensure that quality, as well as quantity, is needed in RFD's.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 5:03:23 PM
At 5/19/2014 5:01:27 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
So, that is the platform for me. Now we have 2 candidates in the field.

Make that three
http://www.debate.org...
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 5:51:08 PM
He was running unopposed because the community agreed with him. Anyone could have chosen to run at any time. They didn't, because there was no need for a competition. With this, you're pointlessly trying to make one.
If you don't think that you would be a good president, how does having you as a choice benefit anyone? Choice solely for the sake of choice is worthless.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 3:43:14 AM
Just for clarification purposes, I was always likely to drop out and was never really a particularly serious candidate. I don't yet have nearly good enough credentials as an individual member to be president, and only really ran to pressure kbub and Blade into rethinking elements of their ideas. Blade's openness to considering my ideas is what made me finalise my dropping out, and I wouldn't have done so if I didn't think supporters of my platform could easily support Blade's.

That said, I'll still be watching this platform with interest. To what extent do your previous ideas on moderation still carry, even though they're no longer the centre of your platform?
I'm back (ish).
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 5:54:23 PM
I think it's good that you're getting back into the race. Voting is about making a choice, and when there is only one candidate, there isn't much of a choice at all. Glad to see you back :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 3:23:46 AM
At 5/19/2014 4:10:23 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Well, Orangemayhem has dropped out of the presidential election. Kbub dropped out right before him. This means Bladerunner is running unopposed for president of DDO.

Now, some people may not have a problem with this fact. I know a great deal of the community is in support of Blade, for his run. But there is a sentiment that I strongly agree with, that is, that no candidate for office should run unopposed. This would ruin the whole point of the elections, as choice would be eliminated.

George Washington ran unopposed, although I certainly do not see bladerunner as anything resembling a George Washington-type candidate.

Myself I have a lot of reservations about that particular user surrounding whether or not he's someone's alt and/or whether not he's simply a corporate account from Juggle. If bladerunner is the only candidate to run, I would consider that a monumental failure of the DDO community acting to represent its interests, mainly because I have doubts as to whether or not bladerunner is actually part of the community or part of Juggle.

I have the same reservations about airmax, and was glad when he voluntarily stepped down. IMHO allowing bladerunner to become DDO prez would be (eerily) the same as allowing airmax to continue his presidency.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 3:39:05 AM
At 5/21/2014 3:23:46 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

George Washington ran unopposed, although I certainly do not see bladerunner as anything resembling a George Washington-type candidate.

Myself I have a lot of reservations about that particular user surrounding whether or not he's someone's alt and/or whether not he's simply a corporate account from Juggle. If bladerunner is the only candidate to run, I would consider that a monumental failure of the DDO community acting to represent its interests, mainly because I have doubts as to whether or not bladerunner is actually part of the community or part of Juggle.

I have the same reservations about airmax, and was glad when he voluntarily stepped down. IMHO allowing bladerunner to become DDO prez would be (eerily) the same as allowing airmax to continue his presidency.

If eddie is part of juggle I will suck my own dik
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 7:40:02 PM
At 5/20/2014 3:43:14 AM, orangemayhem wrote:
Just for clarification purposes, I was always likely to drop out and was never really a particularly serious candidate. I don't yet have nearly good enough credentials as an individual member to be president, and only really ran to pressure kbub and Blade into rethinking elements of their ideas. Blade's openness to considering my ideas is what made me finalise my dropping out, and I wouldn't have done so if I didn't think supporters of my platform could easily support Blade's.

That said, I'll still be watching this platform with interest. To what extent do your previous ideas on moderation still carry, even though they're no longer the centre of your platform?

They won't be on the platform, and I won't be pushing for them with great effort in my presidency, unless the community shows great demand for my earlier views of moderation, and, from what I witnessed during Run #1, that probably won't be happening.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 7:41:13 PM
At 5/20/2014 8:33:24 PM, Bullish wrote:
Fickleness isn't something I look for.

I consider it a kind of adaptability.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 7:42:06 PM

What makes you think Airmax or Bladerunner work for Juggle, specifically?

#FeeltheFreezerBern
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 7:44:25 PM

Ooh, conspiracy theory... how fun!
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 7:49:22 PM
At 5/21/2014 7:42:06 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Mainly comments said in private.

About airmax, I do not understand why any user would go to the trouble of befriending 2000+ users on this website.

If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 8:00:06 PM

I will add that there have been many many public discussions I've had with bladerunner about moderation (discussion that I wished I was having with an actual moderator) that almost feel like a set-up for airmax to subsequently step in with a "professional" opinion. I've had several discussion like that, and it is noticeable in that bladerunner subsequently ceases activity in a conversation once airmax takes it up in earnest...no matter how involved bladerunner was previously and no matter how many points he subsequently abandons.

IMHO it's not a bad tactic, to have an alt specifically set up for moderation duties while having a private alt to enjoy this website...but to be secretive about it is...not good.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 8:08:10 PM
At 5/21/2014 8:00:06 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

I will add that there have been many many public discussions I've had with bladerunner about moderation (discussion that I wished I was having with an actual moderator) that almost feel like a set-up for airmax to subsequently step in with a "professional" opinion. I've had several discussion like that, and it is noticeable in that bladerunner subsequently ceases activity in a conversation once airmax takes it up in earnest...no matter how involved bladerunner was previously and no matter how many points he subsequently abandons.

IMHO it's not a bad tactic, to have an alt specifically set up for moderation duties while having a private alt to enjoy this website...but to be secretive about it is...not good.

Haha no... just no. I've literally been in Google Hangout Sessions where both Airmax and Bladerunner are present. I've seen both of their faces and know without a doubt that they are not the same person. Also, I've literally seen Bladerunner in his EMT attire when he is at work via webcam chats in Google Hangouts.

Idk why Romanii is egging this on either because he's been in a few of those hangouts!! Lol.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 8:09:29 PM
At 5/21/2014 8:08:10 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Haha no... just no. I've literally been in Google Hangout Sessions where both Airmax and Bladerunner are present. I've seen both of their faces and know without a doubt that they are not the same person. Also, I've literally seen Bladerunner in his EMT attire when he is at work via webcam chats in Google Hangouts.

Idk why Romanii is egging this on either because he's been in a few of those hangouts!! Lol.

Interesting, but your observations do not contradict my own.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 8:10:17 PM

If this is a suggestion that Airmax and Blade are one person, this is easily disproven. Both, when in google hangouts, are very clearly different people. If I misinterpreted, I apologize.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 8:11:42 PM
At 5/21/2014 8:09:29 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 5/21/2014 8:08:10 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Interesting, but your observations do not contradict my own.

Lol, do you have webcam capabilities? I will literally send you an invite the next time both are on so you can see for yourself that they are not the same person. My observations would contradict your belief that they are one-in-the-same.

As for either of them working at Juggle, I know that Blade doesn't because as I said, I've seen him at his work. Airmax though... now that is a conspiracy worth investigating.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 9:59:09 PM
Wait - This discussion is about whether or not Bladerunner and I are the same person?

I mean, geez, I'm actually flattered by this. Blade is a bright guy, far more articulate than I am and he has a folksy humor about him that I wish I had. Whereas he comes off as intelligent but down to earth and friendly, I just come off as robotic and boring.

Also being moderator has become almost all-enveloping of my time on the site. Aside from the occasional forum posts and a debate once a month, I have very little time for anything else.

But look at that guys profile.

If I am him and he is me, then I am like the most active member ever. On top of what I already do, I vote constantly, I'm very active in the forums, and debate more frequently.

I'm not sure I really want to disprove this accusation. (aside from the clear misconduct related to votes for myself and misrepresenting myself, and possibly being the greatest sociopath in the site's history - but let's forget that for a moment) So, ok, you caught me.

Humor aside, because I realize that this is a serious accusation and I shouldn't joke around, Bladerunner and I aren't the same person. I don't know how to prove this at this very moment, but it's definitely possible to do. Perhaps someone can host a Google hangout with both of us, post it to the site, and we'll prove it that way.
Debate.org Moderator
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 10:01:35 PM
At 5/21/2014 9:59:09 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Wait - This discussion is about whether or not Bladerunner and I are the same person?

I mean, geez, I'm actually flattered by this. Blade is a bright guy, far more articulate than I am and he has a folksy humor about him that I wish I had. Whereas he comes off as intelligent but down to earth and friendly, I just come off as robotic and boring.

Also being moderator has become almost all-enveloping of my time on the site. Aside from the occasional forum posts and a debate once a month, I have very little time for anything else.

If I am him and he is me, then I am like the most active member ever. On top of what I already do, I vote constantly, I'm very active in the forums, and debate more frequently.

I'm not sure I really want to disprove this accusation. (aside from the clear misconduct related to votes for myself and misrepresenting myself, and possibly being the greatest sociopath in the site's history - but let's forget that for a moment) So, ok, you caught me.

Humor aside, because I realize that this is a serious accusation and I shouldn't joke around, Bladerunner and I aren't the same person. I don't know how to prove this at this very moment, but it's definitely possible to do. Perhaps someone can host a Google hangout with both of us, post it to the site, and we'll prove it that way.

I think the likely dozens of eyewitnesses who have been present in Google Hangouts with both of you is enough to disprove the notion that you're the same person...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 10:36:27 PM
At 5/21/2014 10:01:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/21/2014 9:59:09 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I think the likely dozens of eyewitnesses who have been present in Google Hangouts with both of you is enough to disprove the notion that you're the same person...

I could just be very clever...
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 10:46:58 PM

I say this stuff as your friend, because I think you're a nice guy and I want to help you think through this. I also think you're a good member and one day might have a place in DDO leadership, but for the present we need to work through this proposal.

It could be that lack of popular support is why the other candidates have dropped out, and if so, then the system isn't being ruined.. it's just been mainstreamed.

At this point, with no one else left to run, we are in danger of having a one-candidate election. However, I personally, shall intervene.

I don't think that's a danger. If Larz were running unopposed, that would be really dangerous or if some other truculent noob was running unopposed, that would be an issue. But if Blade's competent to do the job, then there's nothing wrong with him being unopposed. The only reason anyone should run against anyone else is if they truly believe that they can do a better job than that.

I am resubmitting my bid to become president of DDO.

So, what do you think you can do better than Bladerunner?

Now, I know what a great deal of you are thinking. I dropped out before, and it seemed to indicate that there was no chance of me running, and that my own points go against another running by me for president. This is all well and good.

Running shouldn't really be based on probability of wins/losses. It's about whether you've got something to offer in the position you're running for or not, and if what you've got to offer is better than the other guy whose running.

But ultimately, I believe in the principle strongly that no candidate should run unopposed. This is a strong belief of mine.

Why is that a strong belief?

---

That unpleasantness aside, I think you're a good guy who wants to get involved because he wants to do well for the site and I can respect that. I think that if Blade wins, you should try to be a part of his administration and work on the ideas you've got and maybe help implement some of the others that the team wants to act on.
Tsar of DDO