Jump to topic:

Anyone Want to Debate?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 9:46:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I will have a ton of free time in June due to some things going on in my life, and I would love to get in some quality debates during that time period. Below are some resolutions I am interested in debating, along with the side I would prefer. I know I've already promised Cermank, YYW, Crypto, and Pots debates (if I am forgetting a debate that I owe someone, remind me here please). Let me know if you're interested!

Serious Topics

1. Narendra Modi will be a better PM than Manmohan Singh (Con)
2. A "rape culture" is growing on college campuses in the U.S. (Pro)
3. The African Union should intensify its AMISOM operations in Somalia (Pro)
4. Vigilantism is justified when governments fail to enforce the law (Pro)
5. Animals are capable of having rights (Pro)
6. The Treaty of Versailles was unjust (Pro)
7. On balance, violent revolution is a just response to political oppression* (Pro)
8. Placing political conditions on humanitarian aid to foreign countries is unjust (Pro/Con)
9. Intervention in the internal political processes of other nations is morally permissible when the goal of the intervention is to halt human rights abuses (Pro/Con)
10. Botswana should never have succeeded (Con)
11. Justice may sometimes require redistribution of resources (Pro)
12. The Death Penalty is Moral in the Following Scenario:

The Criminal has been found guilty of crimes against humanity, specifically engineering a genocide (e.g. Rwanda), and engineering a mass rape (e.g. Nanking). There is ample documented evidence, witness testimony, and audiovisual evidence to support the conviction; moreover, he admits to his guilt. His trial was fair, he is mentally competent, and he was well-represented by a team of lawyers. He has been found responsible for the death of thousands of people, the rapes of hundreds more, and the maltreatment of still thousands more. (Pro)

13. There should be a minimum wage in industrialized nations (Pro)
14. Homosexuality is immoral (Con)
15. When in conflict, national security concerns ought to take precedence over personal privacy* (Pro/Con)

Less Serious Topics

1. Satele Shan was more powerful than Yoda (Pro)
2. Leia Organa was a better leader than Padme Amidala (Pro)
3. Grand Admiral Thrawn was not a better tactician than ____** (Pro)
4. In a fair fight, Qui-Gon Jinn (from Episode I) would defeat Luke Skywalker (Episode VI) (Pro)
5. In a fair fight, Plo Koon would likely defeat Ki-Adi-Mundi (Pro)

Key

*I would only wish to debate this in an LD format (as laid out by the NCFL/NFL); I would not permits K's, Theory, or off-topic cases.
**Pick your tactician, but I must consent to your selection first.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 9:49:52 PM
I can probably only fit in a few of these...maybe the first 8 or so takers, if anyone wants to do them.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 9:56:30 PM
Please excuse my established debate ignorance, but what do you mean by, "I would not permits K's, Theory, or off-topic cases"?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 10:01:19 PM
At 5/19/2014 9:56:30 PM, Subutai wrote:
Please excuse my established debate ignorance, but what do you mean by, "I would not permits K's, Theory, or off-topic cases"?

"In policy debate and becoming increasingly common in Lincoln"Douglas debates, generally speaking, a kritik usually challenges a certain mindset, assumption, or discursive element that exists within the advocacy of the opposing team, often from the perspective of critical theory."

So, for example, if the resolution is: "There is a moral obligation to help people" a kritik (K) might be that morality doesn't exist, therefore there can be no moral obligation to do anything.

"Recently, methods of winning the round have become prominent that cannot be classified as true cases, because they are used as a semi-independent part of or in addition to the case proper, and do not advocate an extensively developed position. These include the "a priori" or "prima facie" argument which attempt to demonstrate that the resolution is true/false outside of the typical syllogistic model, most commonly by collapsing it into a tautology or presenting some reason why it's nonsensical. "Theory" debate, which says that an opponent's argument or style of argumentation (e.g. talking too fast or interpreting the resolution in a certain way) is unfair or uneducational and explains why fairness or educational considerations supersedes the resolutional evaluation, has also proliferated. Like atypical cases, the merit of these types of arguments is heatedly contested, although both are common on the national circuit."

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 10:12:41 PM
At 5/19/2014 10:01:19 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/19/2014 9:56:30 PM, Subutai wrote:

"In policy debate and becoming increasingly common in Lincoln"Douglas debates, generally speaking, a kritik usually challenges a certain mindset, assumption, or discursive element that exists within the advocacy of the opposing team, often from the perspective of critical theory."

So, for example, if the resolution is: "There is a moral obligation to help people" a kritik (K) might be that morality doesn't exist, therefore there can be no moral obligation to do anything.

"Recently, methods of winning the round have become prominent that cannot be classified as true cases, because they are used as a semi-independent part of or in addition to the case proper, and do not advocate an extensively developed position. These include the "a priori" or "prima facie" argument which attempt to demonstrate that the resolution is true/false outside of the typical syllogistic model, most commonly by collapsing it into a tautology or presenting some reason why it's nonsensical. "Theory" debate, which says that an opponent's argument or style of argumentation (e.g. talking too fast or interpreting the resolution in a certain way) is unfair or uneducational and explains why fairness or educational considerations supersedes the resolutional evaluation, has also proliferated. Like atypical cases, the merit of these types of arguments is heatedly contested, although both are common on the national circuit."

Appreciate it. I always find myself out of place when people talk about formal debate structures. I'm interested in number 15. Can you give me some examples of kritiks for that specific topic?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 10:20:20 PM
At 5/19/2014 10:12:41 PM, Subutai wrote:

Appreciate it. I always find myself out of place when people talk about formal debate structures. I'm interested in number 15. Can you give me some examples of kritiks for that specific topic?

Sure thing :)

Moral nihilism would be a common one, esp. since "ought" is usually defined in a moral context.

Another idea might be that nations are just mental constructs, and do not exist in actuality. Therefore, there can be no such thing as "national security."

Another one might be that there is no such thing as "privacy."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 10:32:41 PM
At 5/19/2014 9:46:21 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I will have a ton of free time in June due to some things going on in my life, and I would love to get in some quality debates during that time period. Below are some resolutions I am interested in debating, along with the side I would prefer. I know I've already promised Cermank, YYW, Crypto, and Pots debates (if I am forgetting a debate that I owe someone, remind me here please). Let me know if you're interested!

Serious Topics

7. On balance, violent revolution is a just response to political oppression* (Pro)
8. Placing political conditions on humanitarian aid to foreign countries is unjust (Pro/Con)
9. Intervention in the internal political processes of other nations is morally permissible when the goal of the intervention is to halt human rights abuses (Pro/Con)

The Criminal has been found guilty of crimes against humanity, specifically engineering a genocide (e.g. Rwanda), and engineering a mass rape (e.g. Nanking). There is ample documented evidence, witness testimony, and audiovisual evidence to support the conviction; moreover, he admits to his guilt. His trial was fair, he is mentally competent, and he was well-represented by a team of lawyers. He has been found responsible for the death of thousands of people, the rapes of hundreds more, and the maltreatment of still thousands more. (Pro)

I think we should debate death penalty.

I WILL debate you on same-sex marriage, if you wish, with me being Con.

15. When in conflict, national security concerns ought to take precedence over personal privacy* (Pro/Con)

Less Serious Topics

4. In a fair fight, Qui-Gon Jinn (from Episode I) would defeat Luke Skywalker (Episode VI) (Pro)

Key

*I would only wish to debate this in an LD format (as laid out by the NCFL/NFL); I would not permits K's, Theory, or off-topic cases.

Booooooooo! :P

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 10:38:58 PM
Satele Shan doesn't even exist in the canon anymore bruh.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 10:41:58 PM
At 5/19/2014 10:38:58 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

When did this happen?! WTF.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 10:44:13 PM
At 5/19/2014 10:32:41 PM, kbub wrote:

Serious Topics

You would take Con; i.e. that the Criminal in that scenario should not be put to death?

I would rather debate homosexuality itself, vice the institution of marriage. I will be debating Crypto on the definition of marriage, so I don't want a repeat topic.

Lol...Did you do policy?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 10:49:02 PM
At 5/19/2014 10:44:13 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Serious Topics

You would take Con; i.e. that the Criminal in that scenario should not be put to death?

Correct

I would rather debate homosexuality itself, vice the institution of marriage. I will be debating Crypto on the definition of marriage, so I don't want a repeat topic.

Well, I certainly can't debate that ;)

Lol...Did you do policy?

No, but I respect it a lot. I like their structure, but can't match their speed and don't cut cards.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:00:00 PM
At 5/19/2014 10:41:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:

"As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, while the Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon and was re-termed as the "Legends" brand."

http://starwars.wikia.com...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:00:41 PM
At 5/19/2014 10:49:02 PM, kbub wrote:

Correct

Sweet.

Lol...Did you do policy?

No, but I respect it a lot. I like their structure, but can't match their speed and don't cut cards.

Lol...I have literally zero respect for policy...it's turned debate into a contest of who can out theory who, rather than focusing on the issues at hand. I have judged 30+ policy rounds this year and I saw only 2 topical cases. That's ridiculous.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:02:09 PM
At 5/19/2014 11:00:00 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

"As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, while the Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon and was re-termed as the "Legends" brand."

I fvcking hate Lucasfilm.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:05:34 PM
At 5/19/2014 10:20:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/19/2014 10:12:41 PM, Subutai wrote:

Sure thing :)

Moral nihilism would be a common one, esp. since "ought" is usually defined in a moral context.

Another idea might be that nations are just mental constructs, and do not exist in actuality. Therefore, there can be no such thing as "national security."

I haven't heard that one exactly, but I came across a similar one that said that supporting the system of nationality is worse than other impacts, or that using rhetoric that supports nationality is what structures nationality in the first place, and therefore such rhetoric ought to be rejected in round (because debate is a battle of competing ideologies and rejecting this rhetoric is symbolically better) and due to external impacts (one rhetorical is causing real world harm, and voting for the other side does real world benefit).

Another one might be that there is no such thing as "privacy."
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:06:58 PM
At 5/19/2014 11:00:41 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Correct

Sweet.

Lol...Did you do policy?

Lol...I have literally zero respect for policy...it's turned debate into a contest of who can out theory who, rather than focusing on the issues at hand. I have judged 30+ policy rounds this year and I saw only 2 topical cases. That's ridiculous.

Why in the world were you judging policy then?
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:08:17 PM

That's messed up
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:09:10 PM
At 5/19/2014 11:02:09 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Lol.

So... Satele Shan doesn't even exist in the Star Wars universe K?

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:10:35 PM

Serious Topics

It appears we agree on almost everything here.

Less Serious Topics

Define powerful.

I could argue this. Wartime vs. peacetime leadership.

Bet I worse tactician in the Starwars universe.

As they were in those episodes, maybe. But I would argue that Luke eventually grows more powerful.

Well, Duh.

Key

Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:11:02 PM
At 5/19/2014 11:06:58 PM, kbub wrote:
At 5/19/2014 11:00:41 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Correct

Sweet.

Lol...Did you do policy?

Why in the world were you judging policy then?

Because I coach for a school with a policy team, and I am the only one who (a) can flow speed, (b) has an understanding of the mechanics of policy, and (c) the tabroom always pulls because I can never learn to say "no."

I prefer judging LD. But our league is so short on judges qualified to judge policy, I always get pulled. I hate it, yes, but at least I can judge it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:12:32 PM
At 5/19/2014 11:09:10 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 5/19/2014 11:02:09 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Lol.

So... Satele Shan doesn't even exist in the Star Wars universe K?

I would still debate the topic. That...is just so depressing...Everything I grew up on squashed in one paragraph.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:13:16 PM
At 5/19/2014 11:08:17 PM, kbub wrote:

That's messed up

Agreed. 100%.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:15:50 PM
At 5/19/2014 11:10:35 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Less Serious Topics

Define powerful.

I guess I'd have to mull that over more...

I could argue this. Wartime vs. peacetime leadership.

Well, both led during war and peace times...

As they were in those episodes, maybe. But I would argue that Luke eventually grows more powerful.

That's why I limited it to those episodes. Clearly, Grand Master Skywalker would beat the crap out of Qui-Gon...

Anywho...I thought we were gonna debate the following:

Zambia should gradually and significantly reduce ties with China
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:20:06 PM
LIST

Let me just keep this list up so that I can keep track of things...Info is displayed as: Debater -- Topic

NEW DEBATES

1. Kbub -- 12

OTHER DEBATES

1. Cermank -- The elder wand was the most useful of the Deathly Hallows
2. YYW -- It is morally permissible for victims to use deadly force as a deliberate response to repeated domestic violence
3. Crypto -- The Conjugal View of Marriage is Philosophically Sound
4. Pots -- Zambia should gradually and significantly reduce ties with China
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:34:36 PM
At 5/19/2014 11:10:35 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Is this an okay wording for our debate--if you're still on for it, that is...

Zambia should gradually and significantly reduce ties with China

And, I'm taking Pro, correct?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:35:57 PM
LIST

Let me just keep this list up so that I can keep track of things...Info is displayed as: Debater -- Topic

NEW DEBATES

1. Kbub -- 12

OTHER DEBATES

1. Cermank -- The elder wand was the most useful of the Deathly Hallows (Con)
2. YYW -- It is morally permissible for victims to use deadly force as a deliberate response to repeated domestic violence (Pro)
3. Crypto -- The Conjugal View of Marriage is Philosophically Sound (Con)
4. Pots -- Zambia should gradually and significantly reduce ties with China (Pro)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:59:39 PM
I would love to do the death penalty one.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 12:04:07 AM
At 5/19/2014 11:59:39 PM, phantom wrote:
I would love to do the death penalty one.

Never mind...Let me know if it happens to fall through.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 12:04:09 AM
I would also like to debate you on the death penalty (me being con). I will also be watching your's and kbub's
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.