Jump to topic:

Optional participant limit in forums.

Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 9:47:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think that forums are a useful tool, but in a successful thread, too many people chime in and it gets hard to follow a discussion. It feels like a crowd is yelling sometimes. Granted, forums should still be open, like they are, but an option for the thread creator to limit the number of people that can participate, invite or even exclude people COULD be nice. I say COULD be cause some people just aren't and won't be. But hey, it's the Internet. But it would open up an option for a panel forum, like is so popular on TV news shows.

Also, a "tree structure" within a thread might be nice for big discussions, where you can choose who you are responding to in a way the site program can understand so that readers can filter out all but the discussion directly between two members, or a few members.

If this gets enough positive feedback, maybe I'll move it to the suggestions area, if it still exists.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 9:53:18 PM
At 5/20/2014 9:47:28 PM, Skynet wrote:
I think that forums are a useful tool, but in a successful thread, too many people chime in and it gets hard to follow a discussion. It feels like a crowd is yelling sometimes. Granted, forums should still be open, like they are, but an option for the thread creator to limit the number of people that can participate, invite or even exclude people COULD be nice. I say COULD be cause some people just aren't and won't be. But hey, it's the Internet. But it would open up an option for a panel forum, like is so popular on TV news shows.

Also, a "tree structure" within a thread might be nice for big discussions, where you can choose who you are responding to in a way the site program can understand so that readers can filter out all but the discussion directly between two members, or a few members.

If this gets enough positive feedback, maybe I'll move it to the suggestions area, if it still exists.

Why didn't you put this under the possible enhancement section because then it might get more attention!
How come when I hit review it sometimes adds my post without me clicking add post?
Does this happen to other people?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Learn to use emoticons DDO.
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 9:55:33 PM
At 5/20/2014 9:53:18 PM, Krieg01 wrote:
At 5/20/2014 9:47:28 PM, Skynet wrote:

Why didn't you put this under the possible enhancement section because then it might get more attention!

This is where you should put this so people will give feedback on if they like the idea of limiting the amount of people on each thread.

http://www.debate.org...
How come when I hit review it sometimes adds my post without me clicking add post?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 10:25:30 PM
At 5/20/2014 10:22:28 PM, Skynet wrote:
Thanks. Done.

That's alright because when it is in that forum more people are going to look at it and give feedback on the idea rather than (no insult intended with this) cluttering the forums with this when there is already a thread that is made for this sort of thing and again glad I could help.

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 10:26:30 PM
At 5/20/2014 10:25:30 PM, Krieg01 wrote:
At 5/20/2014 10:22:28 PM, Skynet wrote:
Thanks. Done.

That's alright because when it is in that forum more people are going to look at it and give feedback on the idea rather than (no insult intended with this) cluttering the forums with this when there is already a thread that is made for this sort of thing and again glad I could help.

No insult taken. Thanks for the suggestion.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.