Jump to topic:

How We Could Do Team Debates Now

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:09:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
One way that team debates could happen is if each team member were in a debate with every other team member and if all judges agreed to vote on each separate individual debate that comprised the team debate.

Here's how this could work:

Say Mikal and I (PRO) were facing Bluesteel and Whiteflame (CON).

I could instigate a debate with bluesteel, and a debate with white flame individually, as could Mikal.

So, It would look like Set A: [(1) YYW v. Bluesteel + (2) YYW v. Whiteflame] and Set B: [(3) Mikal v. Bluesteel + (4) Mikal v. Whiteflame] for a total of four debates.

Members could repost each round in each specific debate, or divide rounds up among one or two round debates with each final round linking to the next debate.

Judges could score wins/losses round by round or one overall victory for all rounds with the same RFD for each individual debate. The only functional difference is that individual debate would function as rounds.

Thoughts?
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:14:35 PM
I think it may just be easier, with Airmax's permission, to create a team account.

So, if you and I faced whiteflame and bluesteel, we would create a TEAM A account with a shared password, and whiteflame and bluetsteel would create a TEAM B account with a shared password.

TEAM A vs. TEAM B would then be the debate format. It seems less hectic...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:16:03 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:09:56 PM, YYW wrote:
One way that team debates could happen is if each team member were in a debate with every other team member and if all judges agreed to vote on each separate individual debate that comprised the team debate.

I could instigate a debate with bluesteel, and a debate with white flame individually, as could Mikal.

So, It would look like Set A: [(1) YYW v. Bluesteel + (2) YYW v. Whiteflame] and Set B: [(3) Mikal v. Bluesteel + (4) Mikal v. Whiteflame] for a total of four debates.

Members could repost each round in each specific debate, or divide rounds up among one or two round debates with each final round linking to the next debate.

Judges could score wins/losses round by round or one overall victory for all rounds with the same RFD for each individual debate. The only functional difference is that individual debate would function as rounds.

Thoughts?

I actually did think of doing (something like) this when we started the Team Debates initiative...but it never seemed to be the W/L record that was holding back participation.

Using the Team Debate users was just a way to get it centralized--there are definitely ways to get it worked around (each person could initiate a debate and just link to the other one, and have the judge be just one person who scores it based on the ultimate winner of the main debate), if there's a contingent who would otherwise be willing to try it...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:16:54 PM
How the debates/rounds were divided could depend on speaker roles, as well. It could work structurally similar to a Public Forum Round:

Speaker 1 (Team A, 1st speaker )......................... Rd1, Debate 1.
Speaker 2 (Team B, 1st speaker)........................... Rd1, Debate 1.
Rebuttals (Speakers 1 and 2)............................Rd2, Debate 1.

Speaker 3 (Team A, 2nd speaker ) ....................... Rd1, Debate 2.
Speaker 4 (Team B, 2nd speaker )........................Rd1, Debate 2.
Rebuttals (Speakers 3 and 4)................................Rd2, Debate 2.

Speaker 1 Summary..................................................Rd1, Debate 3.
Speaker 2 Summary..................................................Rd1, Debate 3.
Rebuttals (Speakers 1 and 2)....................................................Rd 2, Debate 3.

Speaker 3 Summary................................................Rd1, Debate 4.
Speaker 4 Summary................................................Rd1, Debate 4.
Closing.....................................................................Rd2, Debate 4.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:17:39 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:14:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think it may just be easier, with Airmax's permission, to create a team account.

So, if you and I faced whiteflame and bluesteel, we would create a TEAM A account with a shared password, and whiteflame and bluetsteel would create a TEAM B account with a shared password.

That would be easier, but it wouldn't benefit the anyone's ELO, which would undercut they incentive to do it in the first place.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:18:10 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:16:03 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Thoughts?

I actually did think of doing (something like) this when we started the Team Debates initiative...but it never seemed to be the W/L record that was holding back participation.

Using the Team Debate users was just a way to get it centralized--there are definitely ways to get it worked around (each person could initiate a debate and just link to the other one, and have the judge be just one person who scores it based on the ultimate winner of the main debate), if there's a contingent who would otherwise be willing to try it...

See my post below. It lays out the format more clearly... it's certainly possible.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:21:13 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:13:02 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Ew, way too much work.

Someone could certainly do it if they wanted to, but that is just a lot of work.

It would be a lot of work, but team debates are a lot of work. This way, people can boost their ELO while doing team debates. It's not for everyone, but it's an option available... and probably a better one than having "actual" team debates because this gives your ELO twice the boost.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:23:03 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:18:10 PM, YYW wrote:

Thoughts?

See my post below. It lays out the format more clearly... it's certainly possible.

Oh, yeah, definitely! And any way that it takes to get folks to do team debates to prove them viable as a thing, I'm in support of and will help as much as I can.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:25:03 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:23:03 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/21/2014 4:18:10 PM, YYW wrote:

Thoughts?

Oh, yeah, definitely! And any way that it takes to get folks to do team debates to prove them viable as a thing, I'm in support of and will help as much as I can.

Yeah, and even though this way is a bit more complicated, the fact that we can limit judges now makes it a lot better and also probably increases the likelihood that each individual debate would get voted on.

The benefit to each debater under my scheme is 2x the ELO boost, so I think that if people take the time to consider it, even though it's more complex than ordinary debates, this is probably the best way to go for debaters who wish to do team debates.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:27:03 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:16:54 PM, YYW wrote:
How the debates/rounds were divided could depend on speaker roles, as well. It could work structurally similar to a Public Forum Round:

Speaker 1 (Team A, 1st speaker )......................... Rd1, Debate 1.
Speaker 2 (Team B, 1st speaker)........................... Rd1, Debate 1.
Rebuttals (Speakers 1 and 2)............................Rd2, Debate 1.

Speaker 3 (Team A, 2nd speaker ) ....................... Rd1, Debate 2.
Speaker 4 (Team B, 2nd speaker )........................Rd1, Debate 2.
Rebuttals (Speakers 3 and 4)................................Rd2, Debate 2.

Speaker 1 Summary..................................................Rd1, Debate 3.
Speaker 2 Summary..................................................Rd1, Debate 3.
Rebuttals (Speakers 1 and 2)....................................................Rd 2, Debate 3.

Speaker 3 Summary................................................Rd1, Debate 4.
Speaker 4 Summary................................................Rd1, Debate 4.
Closing.....................................................................Rd2, Debate 4.

This could be modified to suit each team's desire too. What I've proffered above is just a basic sketch. I mean, each of the four debates could have four rounds each, or there could be more than four total debates, or there could be less of each depending.

Judges can (and probably should) be selected for this, though, on a careful basis. Because this is more complex than other debates, it'l require the kind of judge who will take the time to read though each one of these.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:28:03 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:17:39 PM, YYW wrote:

That would be easier, but it wouldn't benefit the anyone's ELO, which would undercut they incentive to do it in the first place.

True...but even as much as I like ELO, there's something to be said for debating for the sake of debating. Plus, I think teaming up with you would be pretty fun...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:28:38 PM

Or Team X and Team Y

http://www.debate.org...

Team Y 5ever
Nolite Timere
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:30:00 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:28:03 PM, bsh1 wrote:

True...but even as much as I like ELO, there's something to be said for debating for the sake of debating. Plus, I think teaming up with you would be pretty fun...

We might do that at some point, but if we did, I'd want to do it this way... namely because I just like the latitude and freedom it gives me.

I'd love a team debate with 8 individual debates of two rounds of ten thousand characters each, personally.
Tsar of DDO
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:30:56 PM
Just wondering: If I coded a team debate function over on DDOfans.org, with it's own leaderboard and ELO rankings, do you think anyone here would use it?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:31:29 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:30:00 PM, YYW wrote:

We might do that at some point, but if we did, I'd want to do it this way... namely because I just like the latitude and freedom it gives me.

I'd love a team debate with 8 individual debates of two rounds of ten thousand characters each, personally.

I guess we could work out the format later, but it would certainly be fun to do. :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:31:47 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:28:38 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Or Team X and Team Y

http://www.debate.org...

Team Y 5ever

Right, and so the reason people would generally be averse to do that is because of the separation that effort has from one's original account.

I know that we all want to act like we don't care about ELO's, percentiles, or w/e. But we do, and there's no point in playing a game if we're not keeping score.

The way I've suggested is a way to keep score really precisely and afford twice the ELO impact to each member who participates.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:32:38 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:30:56 PM, TUF wrote:
Just wondering: If I coded a team debate function over on DDOfans.org, with it's own leaderboard and ELO rankings, do you think anyone here would use it?

I really don't know, man. But that sounds like it'd be pretty complicated.
Tsar of DDO
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:35:55 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:32:38 PM, YYW wrote:

The only reason it would be complicated I think is that some members wouldn't want to debate unless it attributed to their win record on DDO, where debating outside may feel like a waste of time to them.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:37:55 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:31:29 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I guess we could work out the format later, but it would certainly be fun to do. :)

Yeah, of course. One way that we could do it would be something like this:

Suppose a team of You, Mikal and I were facing a team of Whiteflame, Kbub and Wylted.

The debates could look like this:

Debate 1) Bsh1 v. Whiteflame
Debate 4) Bsh1 v. Kbub
Debate 7) Bsh1 v. Wylted.

Debate 2) Mikal v. Whiteflame
Debate 5) Mikal v. Kbub
Debate 8) Mikal v. Wylted

Debate 3) YYW v. Whiteflame
Debate 6) YYW v. Kbub
Debate 9) YYW v. Wylted
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:38:33 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:35:55 PM, TUF wrote:

The only reason it would be complicated I think is that some members wouldn't want to debate unless it attributed to their win record on DDO, where debating outside may feel like a waste of time to them.

Yeah, and I think that's probably the reason that more people haven't created alt. team debate accounts too.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:40:46 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:37:55 PM, YYW wrote:

Suppose a team of You, Mikal and I were facing a team of Whiteflame, Kbub and Wylted.

Debate 4) Bsh1 v. Kbub

Debate 5) Mikal v. Kbub

Debate 6) YYW v. Kbub
Debate 9) YYW v. Wylted

That would work! Lemme know if/when you want to do a team debate...

I have to go, but I'll PM you tonight ;)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:41:56 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:40:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/21/2014 4:37:55 PM, YYW wrote:

Debate 4) Bsh1 v. Kbub

Debate 5) Mikal v. Kbub

Debate 6) YYW v. Kbub
Debate 9) YYW v. Wylted

That would work! Lemme know if/when you want to do a team debate...

I have to go, but I'll PM you tonight ;)

<3
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:48:33 PM
Or, what would be really neat:

Team A (PRO) v. Team B (CON)

A [Thett, Mikal, Bsh1, YYW]

B [Bluesteel, Wylted, Whiteflame, Zaradi]

Debate 1) Thett v. Bluesteel
Debate 2) Mikal v. Bluesteel
Debate 3) Bsh1 v. Bluesteel
Debate 4) YYW v. Bluesteel
Debate 5) Thett v. Wylted
Debate 6) Mikal v. Wylted
Debate 7) Bsh1 v. Wylted
Debate 8) YYW v. Wylted
Debate 9) Thett v. Whiteflame
Debate 10) Mikal v. Whiteflame
Debate 11) Bsh1 v. Whiteflame
Debate 12) YYW v. Whiteflame
Debate 13) Thett v. Zaradi
Debate 14) Mikal v. Zaradi
Debate 15) Bsh1 v. Zaradi
Debate 16) YYW v. Zaradi

^Now that would be one damn fine team debate...
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:54:23 PM
And there's no reason that teams have to have the same number of members, either.

One person could debate two, two could debate three, six could debate one, and the ELO impact would (with this structure) reward debaters for the rigor of their engagement. One person would just have to count for the equivalent number of debaters on the other side.

Check this out:

A) Thett

B) YYW + Bsh1

Thett (1) v. YYW
Thett (1) v. bsh1

Thett (2) v. YYW
Thett (2) v. bsh1

etc...
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 5:01:46 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:38:33 PM, YYW wrote:

Yeah, and I think that's probably the reason that more people haven't created alt. team debate accounts too.

Just for clarity's sake, NO ONE SHOULD CREATE A TEAM ACCOUNT WITHOUT EXPLICIT AIRMAX PERMISSION.

I know you know this but I try to hammer the point home as much as possible.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 5:05:25 PM
At 5/21/2014 5:01:46 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/21/2014 4:38:33 PM, YYW wrote:

Just for clarity's sake, NO ONE SHOULD CREATE A TEAM ACCOUNT WITHOUT EXPLICIT AIRMAX PERMISSION.

I know you know this but I try to hammer the point home as much as possible.

lol... yeah.

Really, the idea of creating team accounts just bores me as well. I'm all about that complexity. Blame my literary interests.
Tsar of DDO