Jump to topic:

Ya know what's dumb?

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:36:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
A debate being declared a tie with no one voting on it. I mean really, this is absurd. Voting should remain open until at least one person votes on the debate. In my opinion it should require at least 5 people casting a vote before a winner can be decided. 0 votes on both sides means a tie? It means no votes. Points have to be scored before it can be called a tie, other wise it's just non interest. There is no tie.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:42:40 PM
At 5/22/2014 4:36:59 PM, sadolite wrote:
A debate being declared a tie with no one voting on it. I mean really, this is absurd. Voting should remain open until at least one person votes on the debate. In my opinion it should require at least 5 people casting a vote before a winner can be decided. 0 votes on both sides means a tie? It means no votes. Points have to be scored before it can be called a tie, other wise it's just non interest. There is no tie.

The voting period should be determined by the number of people who vote on the debate, not the amount of time after the debate ends. There should be a minimum of 3 and if both parties agree to increase the number, than so be it. Heck, they don't even have to agree, the instigator can set it. If you don't like it don't take the debate.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:43:22 PM
At 5/22/2014 4:42:40 PM, sadolite wrote:

The voting period should be determined by the number of people who vote on the debate, not the amount of time after the debate ends. There should be a minimum of 3 and if both parties agree to increase the number, than so be it. Heck, they don't even have to agree, the instigator can set it. If you don't like it don't take the debate.

I actually love this idea
Csareo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:44:22 PM

This is a problem. That happened to at least 8 debates I had done on my old account. Our presidential candidates try to tell us they'll fix this rampant problem, but I'm unconvinced. I notice little more than a lack of solutions.
http://www.edeb8.com...

Edeb8 unofficial champion of team debate bug finding

PM me for questions on campaign http://www.debate.org...
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:45:11 PM
I said that once... <.<
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:49:21 PM

That's a great idea!
Dude... Stop...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:49:32 PM
At 5/22/2014 4:44:22 PM, Csareo wrote:

This is a problem. That happened to at least 8 debates I had done on my old account. Our presidential candidates try to tell us they'll fix this rampant problem, but I'm unconvinced. I notice little more than a lack of solutions.

This is the solution, the voting period is indefinite. It will be up to the debaters to get people to vote on their debate. If they can't then it should be culled for non interest after say six months so as not to clog up the choices that people have to vote on. Ya both sides made an effort for nothing but hey that's life. Debate stuff that interest people.

Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:50:35 PM
At 5/22/2014 4:45:11 PM, donald.keller wrote:
I said that once... <.<

Suuuuuuure.
Dude... Stop...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:51:51 PM
The only problem I see with this is that it would have to meet (x) requirements like go through 10 days first

otherwise someone could ust get friends to vote on a debate and votebomb it and the debate would be closed with no one else being able to vote
Csareo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:52:39 PM
At 5/22/2014 4:49:32 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/22/2014 4:44:22 PM, Csareo wrote:

This is the solution, the voting period is indefinite. It will be up to the debaters to get people to vote on their debate. If they can't then it should be culled for non interest after say six months so as not to clog up the choices that people have to vote on. Ya both sides made an effort for nothing but hey that's life. Debate stuff that interest people.

I kind of like it. Debates need to eventually end to keep the servers low, but the countdown should have a 3 day lag for a vote, before countdown
http://www.edeb8.com...

Edeb8 unofficial champion of team debate bug finding

PM me for questions on campaign http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:56:01 PM
At 5/22/2014 4:51:51 PM, Mikal wrote:
The only problem I see with this is that it would have to meet (x) requirements like go through 10 days first

otherwise someone could ust get friends to vote on a debate and votebomb it and the debate would be closed with no one else being able to vote

And how is this any different than now! I'll go one better there should be a sign up sheet before the debate starts for people to put their name on pledging to vote on the debate. If you cant get enough pledges then neither side wastes time going through all the effort only to have no votes

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:59:07 PM
At 5/22/2014 4:56:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

And how is this any different than now! I'll go one better there should be a sign up sheet before the debate starts for people to put their name on pledging to vote on the debate. If you cant get enough pledges then neither side wastes time going through all the effort only to have no votes

This should take care of the friend bias issue as both sides know who will be voting on their debate. A failure for a pledge to vote will cost them ELO points

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 4:59:08 PM
At 5/22/2014 4:56:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

the difference is now if a debate gets vote bombed, people have time to read it and place valid voters to counteract the bad ones. That and moderation has the time to remove it

under the new system once (x) number of votes is received the debate would close. Meaning if it was 3 votes someone could just ask two friends to vote on it as soon as the debate finished and the debate would close with no way of voting on it after

This is already similar to the judging system and I like it. It would have to be implemented on debates that have open voting and would have to state something like

This debate will be eligible to vote on for (x) days. After (x) days if not vote is received (y) votes will issue the end of the debate.

It could be tied into a forum about debates that need votes too.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:00:31 PM
At 5/22/2014 4:43:22 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 5/22/2014 4:42:40 PM, sadolite wrote:

I actually love this idea

I like it too.
Nolite Timere
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:16:22 PM
So basically:

Challenging period: The instigator seeks an opponent.

Pledge period: Potential voters consider weather or not they will pledge to vote on the debate if the topic interests them. Debaters get to vet voters by both agreeing on pledges.

The debating period; Self explanatory.

The voting period: Pledges vote along with anyone else who wants to vote. A failure for a pledge to vote will result in a ELO deduction. A time limit may also be set even if all pledges vote, as to garner additional votes in the future.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:17:46 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:16:22 PM, sadolite wrote:
So basically:

Pledge period: Potential voters consider weather or not they will pledge to vote on the debate if the topic interests them. Debaters get to vet voters by both agreeing on pledges.

The voting period: Pledges vote along with anyone else who wants to vote. A failure for a pledge to vote will result in a ELO deduction. A time limit may also be set even if all pledges vote, as to garner additional votes in the future.
What if the person can't vote though, honestly, like they had a legitimate excuse...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:18:13 PM
So basically:

If the minimum number of pledges can't be obtained, the debate wont happen, saving both sides the wasted effort.

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:21:20 PM
So basically:

that is essentially the voting system now with judges
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:21:30 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:17:46 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
So basically:

What if the person can't vote though, honestly, like they had a legitimate excuse...

ELO deduction. Excuses are like azzes everyone has them. It is a risk you will have to take. There are no guarantees in life. If you are scared of losing ELO points for failing to vote a pledged vote don't pledge to vote on debates but rather vote unpledged.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:22:06 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:21:30 PM, sadolite wrote:
So basically:

ELO deduction. Excuses are like azzes everyone has them. It is a risk you will have to take. There are no guarantees in life. If you are scared of losing ELO points for failing to vote a pledged vote don't pledge to vote on debates but rather vote unpledged.

DDO aint your mommy

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:23:50 PM
But actually using resources updating the debate section of debate.org will detract from the parts Juggle finds more important parts for debate.org like opinions and polls.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:24:10 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:21:20 PM, Mikal wrote:
So basically:

that is essentially the voting system now with judges

The difference is the debate wont take place until the judges pledge themselves. If we want votes we must make people pledge to vote before the debate begins

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:24:17 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:22:06 PM, sadolite wrote:
So basically:

DDO aint your mommy

We already have problems with voting. People might not pledge at all!

Also, thank you for the mature response.
Have a good day.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:25:39 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:24:17 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
So basically:

DDO aint your mommy

Have a good day.

They will pledge if they want to see debates.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:26:46 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:25:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
So basically:

DDO aint your mommy

Have a good day.

No. They won't because people will be too concerned about their ELO dropping
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:28:21 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:26:46 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
So basically:

DDO aint your mommy

Have a good day.

You do know this is an entertainment site and in the big scheme of things this is all meaningless to your life and future.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:30:05 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:28:21 PM, sadolite wrote:
So basically:

DDO aint your mommy

Have a good day.

You do know this is an entertainment site and in the big scheme of things this is all meaningless to your life and future.

Heaven forbid an ELO deduction how will one over come it

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:45:07 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:30:05 PM, sadolite wrote:
So basically:

DDO aint your mommy

Have a good day.

The goal or end result is to get people to vote on debates. Having a bunch of debates that no one votes on is not better than a fewer number of debates that all get voted on and have real victors.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:49:41 PM
At 5/22/2014 5:45:07 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/22/2014 5:30:05 PM, sadolite wrote:
So basically:

DDO aint your mommy

Have a good day.

The goal or end result is to get people to vote on debates. Having a bunch of debates that no one votes on is not better than a fewer number of debates that all get voted on and have real victors.

It won't matter to MR.
But it will matter to other users whose main concern is being "the best debater"
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:51:24 PM
At 5/22/2014 4:45:11 PM, donald.keller wrote:
I said that once... <.<

As did I
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...