Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Removing banned members from leader-boards?

NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 3:05:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What's the purpose of removing banned members from leaderboards?

Imagine if an accomplished member here with a 5000 ELO was perm-banned for constantly violating the new moderation policy, why should his name be removed from the leaderboards, when he would have spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours contributing to DDO through debates and votes?

Let us say that person was into trolling, and his trolling debates have resulted in high profits for the website as they are popular on Google searches. DDO leaves his debates and cashes money out of targeted advertising, so why is it ashamed of having his name in the leaderboards?

What is the justification for us to remove the record of accomplishments of a DDO legend in case he was banned, simply because he refuses to comply with a particular moderation policy? I'm not sure what reasoning and what logic decided that banned users shouldn't exist on leaderboards and I'm curious to know why.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 3:14:45 AM
If it is simply that those banned for a week, a month or permanently are simply not here, then many people have been inactive for three years and were left on the leaderboards. Moreover, I see no connection between "not being here" and the website pretending that you have no achievements. Those are two different aspects.

If the argument is that such a method teaches others not to walk out of the line, then again this doesn't make much sense, because being banned of the website is enough punishment as you wouldn't be able to participate anymore and engage with your friends, but feel distanced from the website you like because some moderator thinks you should stay out.

I think that removing people from the leaderboard is nothing more than a prestigious act by the website to say that its accomplished members are well-behaved and in agreement with the moderation, nothing more, nothing less. And that shows utter insecurity and a fear of dealing with the reality of the website.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 3:45:18 AM
That was a "feature" (for lack of a better word) that has been in effect since Phil first created DDO. But there has been no reason to waste time going back and changing it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 5:57:46 AM
At 5/24/2014 3:45:18 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
That was a "feature" (for lack of a better word) that has been in effect since Phil first created DDO. But there has been no reason to waste time going back and changing it.

I think you mean "function" and yes, you're in a very busy schedule with the innovate and awe-inspiring opinion section. You shouldn't waste time and resources doing things that actually matter to the website and to many users, as I understand, Imabench's main reason for not coming back is that he would be banned and that would erase his record, and given that from an ethical standpoint, the website is simply erasing hours of contributions and dedication simply because a user got banned because of one of our highly qualified moderators. But that is not a good reason to change this. Who cares about users? Let's have more targeted advertising.
baus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 8:49:50 AM
Don't get banned then.
Without death, life has no meaning.

Without life, death has no significance.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 9:12:02 AM
At 5/24/2014 8:49:50 AM, baus wrote:
Don't get banned then.

That's like allowing rape in prison and when someone objects to that saying "Don't get imprisoned then."
baus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 9:12:50 AM
At 5/24/2014 9:12:02 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Don't get banned then.

That's like allowing rape in prison and when someone objects to that saying "Don't get imprisoned then."

Explain how it is the same thing, please.

NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 9:20:42 AM
At 5/24/2014 9:12:50 AM, baus wrote:
Don't get banned then.

If rape is an unjust act against someone and so is erasing someone's achievements on DDO, then simply retorting that one should "not get banned" or "not get imprisoned" regardless of the unjust practice that would follow as a consequence, simply ignores the injustice itself for the sake of the consequence. I don't want to get banned, but I don't see why members who had got banned but contributed greatly to this community should be erased from the leaderboards. The fact that they could have avoided being banned and not suffered because of an unjust practice does not justify the unjust practice, much like being imprisoned doesn't justify receiving unjust practices within prison such as being raped or starved or even having the good things you've done outside of prison removed from the records.
baus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 10:12:28 AM
At 5/24/2014 9:20:42 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 5/24/2014 9:12:50 AM, baus wrote:
Don't get banned then.

If rape is an unjust act against someone and so is erasing someone's achievements on DDO, then simply retorting that one should "not get banned" or "not get imprisoned" regardless of the unjust practice that would follow as a consequence, simply ignores the injustice itself for the sake of the consequence. I don't want to get banned, but I don't see why members who had got banned but contributed greatly to this community should be erased from the leaderboards. The fact that they could have avoided being banned and not suffered because of an unjust practice does not justify the unjust practice, much like being imprisoned doesn't justify receiving unjust practices within prison such as being raped or starved or even having the good things you've done outside of prison removed from the records.

First of all, it is very justified to remove banned users from the leader-board. They are banned and no longer are user of the website, if anything we should be deleting their entire accounts to free up space for someone better to take the username.

Secondly, stealing isn't justified and neither is rape but both are very different and justification alone is not indication of equal extent of atrocity.

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 12:47:25 PM
I agree with Niqash, banned members should remain in the leader-boards.

Analogy time!

Leader-boards = History book
Banned members = Stalin, for example.

Stalin was a cruel dictator that ruled Soviet Union with an iron fist, millions died during his reign; however, he made Mother Russia flourish. Stalin's accomplishments and legacy are written in our history books.

Now the banned member could have insulted and harrased other people that lead him to get banned but he also contributed and shared a lot in this site. Like Stalin, this particular member was a d!ck but he still spent countless hours contributing to DDO.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 1:04:57 PM
At 5/24/2014 3:05:06 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

Imagine if an accomplished member here with a 5000 ELO was perm-banned for constantly violating the new moderation policy, why should his name be removed from the leaderboards, when he would have spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours contributing to DDO through debates and votes?

Let us say that person was into trolling, and his trolling debates have resulted in high profits for the website as they are popular on Google searches. DDO leaves his debates and cashes money out of targeted advertising, so why is it ashamed of having his name in the leaderboards?

What is the justification for us to remove the record of accomplishments of a DDO legend in case he was banned, simply because he refuses to comply with a particular moderation policy? I'm not sure what reasoning and what logic decided that banned users shouldn't exist on leaderboards and I'm curious to know why.

The debates don't disappear, so it doesn't really matter.
Nolite Timere
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 1:07:34 PM
I fourth the motion. ;)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 9:27:31 PM
At 5/24/2014 1:04:57 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 5/24/2014 3:05:06 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

The debates don't disappear, so it doesn't really matter.

When I look at the debate leaderboard, I get to meet accomplished members I didn't know with interesting debates. Yes, sometimes I can ran across interesting old debates and meet new members, but that is rather unlikely. The leaderboard is a good list of prominent users and so removing the name of banned users does matter, as it prohibits many people from getting to meet accomplished members. I'm myself unaware of good debates if not for the leaderboard which presents me with names I could follow that are likely responsible for such debates. Moreover, Imabench and other users have displayed concern over this issue. So if it doesn't matter to you, it matters to others.
DerKing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 1:30:38 PM
I find it funny that baus just got banned (his account is closed and some are saying he was multi-accounting, don't take it from me).