YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 10:52:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Chapter III: http://www.debate.org...

Chapter IV: Late Night with Mikal

Bsh1 walked out from the holding area onto the stage. It was comfortably designed, much like a modern office with a desk which Mikal sat behind and two black leather straight back club chairs which were designed to put guests at eye level with the host, and all set against New York's picturesque night skyline. The crowd clapped enthusiastically, and I could see a change in Bsh1's posture as he heard their applause while he waved and smiled. He owned the night.

"Welcome, Bsh1! It's good to have you on the show!" Mikal's enthusiasm seemed genuine, though invariably he also knew what having such a high profile guest on the show would do for his already high ratings.

"It's good to be here, Mikal." Bsh1 looked at Mikal, turned and seductively grinned as he faced the audience. "And it's even better to be here in New York. Thank you so much for having me."

The audience applauded again, which was to be expected.

"You've been the hot name for all the talking heads on cable news, lately and we're all wondering when you're going to announce." Mikal wasn't one to beat around the bush, but his candor and directness is what gave him such a rapport with his audience.

Bsh1 chuckled.

"Yeah, a lot of people have been wondering -not if, but when I'm going to throw my hat into the presidential race. But, the 2024 elections are still two years away." Bsh1 didn't exactly dodge the question, but he didn't exactly answer it either.

"I hear you, but from where I'm sitting it looks like you're the new face of the Republican party." Mikal continued. "You're young, gay, friendly and..."

Mikal paused.

"And?" Bsh1 adjusted his posture and his eyes widened.

"And all the women tell me that you're pretty hot, too." Mikal's word choice was perfect.

The audience clapped, as well.

"I'm truly flattered." Bsh1 was almost caught off guard as he smiled once more and blushed, almost at a loss for words. "I really am. You're not bad yourself, either."

It was true. Mikal was hot, he knew it, and he'd been known to rip his shirt off when in public to show off his well chiseled abs -though not as a regular exercise of vanity.

"So tell me about this new project you've been working on. Pretty atypical for a Republican to be pushing education reform, and on the federal level. What made you want to take that leap?" Mikal asked with curiosity.

"It is pretty atypical, but it's a bipartisan, collaborative effort I'm working on with several others in the House and Senate. It's the first time since common core all those years ago that any real, meaningful reform has been implemented on the national level, too. What we're trying to do is create the kind of environment where every kid, no matter their background, location or socioeconomic status, has a chance to realize their own, individual potential." Bsh1's passion for the matter was clear, and he was making education reform sexy. "Common core was a nice symbolic step, but it had a lot of practical and logistical challenges and, in many ways, it produced counterintuitive effects. But this goes further, and is purposed to redefine the way we conceive of public education in the the United States as much as it is meant to give every student the opportunity to chose the kind of path that will lead to the future that they want for themselves."

"But hasn't it been said that it's going to reduce college attendance rates?" Mikal asked, knowing that Bsh1 knew what to say.

"That's the wrong question to be asking, though." Bsh1 turned and faced the audience. "Going to college is an opportunity that everyone should have, and for many years it's been the goal that our entire public education system has been oriented towards. But it's left a lot of students behind, and we're wasting their talent and potential. I want every kid to be able to take their place in society as a good citizen, with a good job and a stable income -and to translate that vision into reality requires an adjustment in the mechanics of our system. I want all those who want to be able to go to college, to go to college. But I also want those who want to study computer science, to be able to do so in high school. I want those who want to be engineers, to have a bachelor's level education in that field by the time that they graduate. And I want people who want to become plumbers, mechanics, electricians and teachers to have that same opportunity."

"What about those who want to be late night talk show hosts?" Mikal joked.

"We all have different talents, gifts and aptitudes. I want them to be utilized, rather than squandered as they are now. Our education system is failing in the most vital ways, and the reason it's failing is because we're aspiring to the wrong thing. I want to overhaul everything to give everyone a fighting chance at the best future they can make for themselves."

"I think we can all agree that it's time for a change." Mikal said as he scanned the crowd, who cheered with enthusiasm matched only by the kind that Bsh1 witnessed as he walked out onto the stage. "But enough politics. Let's get personal. You and YYW."

"Me and YYW." Bsh1 looked up, as the crowd was noticeably less pleased.

"He's got a reputation, you know." Mikal's tone was cautious, yet persistent.

"When we met, he swept me off my feet." Bsh1, wary of where the topic could lead, looked subtly tense. "For our honeymoon, we spent a month in the Mediterranean alone. He's more romantic than most people give him credit for."

"You two do appear to be the perfect couple." His missed moment was more evident than he would have liked, but Mikal let it pass. I was relieved, as I think Bsh1 was also. "You've been featured as DC's power couple in GQ, Vanity Fair and Time."

"I'd like to think we make it work." Bsh1 said, happily. "I think that like every working couple, we face real challenges in balancing our careers and our relationship but we make time for each other. Whether it's breakfast in bed on Sunday mornings or tea on a weekday afternoon. It's the little things like that.... mainly, at least."

The audience clapped, once more. Realizing what Bsh1 was alluding to, Mikal refocused the conversation.

"Maybe my wife and I should spend some more time with you guys." Mikal had a fantastic relationship with his wife, and I knew it, but his self deprecating humor was appreciated by the audience.

"YYW's got a place on the Cape." Bsh1 casually mentioned. "You both should come visit us up there one summer. We'd love to have you!"

"I might just take you up on that!" Mikal said as he leaned in. "And once more, I just want to thank you again for coming on the show, Bsh1. It's been a real pleasure."

"Thank you for having me." Bsh1 stood up and shook his hand. "But really, it's an open invitation. Come see us this summer!"

"We just might!" Mikal thanked Bsh1 again, as the show cut to a commercial.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 11:35:14 PM
Chapter V will include Bsh1's and my post-interview conversation back at the hotel, and that which proceeds the following day.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 11:43:15 PM
It's tough to keep just saying "Great read!", so I skipped last chapter...which means I can say it again this chapter!

Great read!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 11:43:54 PM
At 5/27/2014 11:43:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
It's tough to keep just saying "Great read!", so I skipped last chapter...which means I can say it again this chapter!

Great read!

Thanks, Blade! I'm glad you liked it!
Tsar of DDO
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 11:54:47 PM
You're so wonderful, YYW.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 8:36:35 PM
At 5/27/2014 11:35:14 PM, YYW wrote:
Chapter V will include Bsh1's and my post-interview conversation back at the hotel, and that which proceeds the following day.

Lol...why the GOP? I've just gotta ask, lol :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 8:42:03 PM
At 5/28/2014 8:36:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It gives me more opportunity to have some fun... it'l be more clear as time goes on.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 8:43:29 PM
At 5/28/2014 8:42:03 PM, YYW wrote:

It gives me more opportunity to have some fun... it'l be more clear as time goes on.

I actually things it's kind of amusing--in a good way. I'm interested to see where you take it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 8:46:19 PM
At 5/28/2014 8:43:29 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I actually things it's kind of amusing--in a good way. I'm interested to see where you take it.

I figured that's exactly how you'd respond, btw. if I was going to smoke a cigar... but idk.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 8:47:59 PM
At 5/28/2014 8:46:19 PM, YYW wrote:

I figured that's exactly how you'd respond, btw. if I was going to smoke a cigar... but idk.

No, I'd probably just make you go outside...but I wouldn't say no. You'd probably get a disapproving, if affectionate, glance as well.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 8:53:19 PM
At 5/28/2014 8:47:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/28/2014 8:46:19 PM, YYW wrote:

No, I'd probably just make you go outside...but I wouldn't say no. You'd probably get a disapproving, if affectionate, glance as well.

haha, well I'll keep that in mind :)
Tsar of DDO
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 8:54:30 PM
I hope you don't mind if I say "awesome read!" without saying "awesome read because of x, y, and z," but this is really good haha.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 8:55:23 PM
At 5/28/2014 8:54:30 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
I hope you don't mind if I say "awesome read!" without saying "awesome read because of x, y, and z," but this is really good haha.

haha, I never mind compliments!
Tsar of DDO