Jump to topic:

Lucky-Bag Debates

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 12:06:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Do you find that your stuck in a rut with your debates? Are you leery of jumping into a debate because you are sure the other person has craftily worded the debate to trap you? Do you just want to try something different and maybe end up outside of your debating comfort zone?

Well you're in luck. Here is the first DDO lucky-bag debates. In your lucky-bag there may be 1 of 5 random pitting you against a random opponent!

How do you play? Read through the debates and send me a PM detailing which position you would take on each of these debates. This way nobody knows who is participating or the position they will defend.

I have tried to pick a wide range of topics from classic debates to technology. For each debate topic I will randomly assign two people with opposing viewpoints to debate. You will not be assigned to more than one of the debates and if too many people sign up, your lucky-bag may be empty of a debate - sorry try again next time.

We will require 3 Judges who are willing to officiate the debates. (Judges will be selected on best qualifications of those who apply). As I am picking the topics and setting up the debates, I will not debate or judge in order to maintain neutrality.

Rules for each debate: 8k characters, 72 hrs, 4 rounds, Judge Voting, Select Winner. First round is for setting up the debate, acceptance and pleasantries only.

Debate 1
Which is the Better $3.2 Billion Tech Acquisition? Apple Buying Beats (Pro) vs. Google Buying Nest (Con)

Debate 2
Junk Food Should be Banned From Schools

Debate 3
Prisoners Who Have Committed Capital Crimes Should be Denied the Right to Vote

Debate 4
The Mass Adoption of Bitcoin Should be Encouraged?

Debate 5
Greatest Internet Meme - X (Pro) vs Y (con)

(each side will include the meme they intend to argue for in their submission to me)

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping this is of interest to enough people to pursue. If I have inadvertently made a snipeable topic please let me know so that I can revise it. Debates will be assigned in on Friday, May 30 if sufficient people have signed up.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 12:14:31 AM
At 5/28/2014 12:06:28 AM, Geogeer wrote:
Do you find that your stuck in a rut with your debates? Are you leery of jumping into a debate because you are sure the other person has craftily worded the debate to trap you? Do you just want to try something different and maybe end up outside of your debating comfort zone?

Well you're in luck. Here is the first DDO lucky-bag debates. In your lucky-bag there may be 1 of 5 random pitting you against a random opponent!

How do you play? Read through the debates and send me a PM detailing which position you would take on each of these debates. This way nobody knows who is participating or the position they will defend.

I have tried to pick a wide range of topics from classic debates to technology. For each debate topic I will randomly assign two people with opposing viewpoints to debate. You will not be assigned to more than one of the debates and if too many people sign up, your lucky-bag may be empty of a debate - sorry try again next time.

We will require 3 Judges who are willing to officiate the debates. (Judges will be selected on best qualifications of those who apply). As I am picking the topics and setting up the debates, I will not debate or judge in order to maintain neutrality.

Rules for each debate: 8k characters, 72 hrs, 4 rounds, Judge Voting, Select Winner. First round is for setting up the debate, acceptance and pleasantries only.

Debate 1
Which is the Better $3.2 Billion Tech Acquisition? Apple Buying Beats (Pro) vs. Google Buying Nest (Con)

Boring.

Debate 2

Lol, Michelle Obama would be happy with this -and tea bagging Republicans would claim that enforcing this would violate American children's constitutional right to be fatasses.

Debate 3

Of all the things to debate about prisoners, why this? Why not have a debate about forcing prisoners to wear dunce hats? Why not a debate about forcing prisoners to work in cotton fields? Why not a debate about denying prisoners health care? After all, why should society pay for them to continue living at society's expense...

The point is that there are so many more interesting things to talk about.

Debate 4

Boring as hell, and impractical.

Debate 5

We already know the answer to that debate. Obviously it's Schrodinger's LOLcat.

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping this is of interest to enough people to pursue. If I have inadvertently made a snipeable topic please let me know so that I can revise it. Debates will be assigned in on Friday, May 30 if sufficient people have signed up.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 12:20:59 AM
At 5/28/2014 12:14:31 AM, YYW wrote:

Debate 1

Boring.

Debate 2

Lol, Michelle Obama would be happy with this -and tea bagging Republicans would claim that enforcing this would violate American children's constitutional right to be fatasses.

Why do liberals want to stop me from eating pizza rolls. They're delicious.

Debate 3

Of all the things to debate about prisoners, why this? Why not have a debate about forcing prisoners to wear dunce hats? Why not a debate about forcing prisoners to work in cotton fields? Why not a debate about denying prisoners health care? After all, why should society pay for them to continue living at society's expense...

Debate 4

Debate 5

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 12:25:20 AM
At 5/28/2014 12:20:59 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 5/28/2014 12:14:31 AM, YYW wrote:

Debate 1

Boring.

Debate 2

Why do liberals want to stop me from eating pizza rolls. They're delicious.

As long as they're gluten free, vegetarian pizza rolls without trans fats, HFCS, phosphate, artificial preservatives or nitrates, you're good.

Debate 3

Debate 4

Debate 5

Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 12:27:17 AM

Debate 1

Debate 2

Debate 3

We shouldn't have prisons. We should cane them or execute them.

Debate 4

I think we should stop printing money and insert RFD chips into people's hands or foreheads.

Debate 5

(each side will include the meme they intend to argue for in their submission to me)

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 12:39:01 AM
At 5/28/2014 12:29:19 AM, Wylted wrote:
YYW, don't ruin pizza rolls for me. It's the only thing I have to live for.

lol, I'm not going to take away your pizza rolls, or your 64 oz fountain drinks, or your super sized fries. But then again, you're not a school kid.

I would totally make school kids eat salad for lunch.
Tsar of DDO
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 12:39:57 AM
At 5/28/2014 12:39:01 AM, YYW wrote:

lol, I'm not going to take away your pizza rolls, or your 64 oz fountain drinks, or your super sized fries. But then again, you're not a school kid.

Child abuse.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 12:41:13 AM
At 5/28/2014 12:39:57 AM, Romanii wrote:

Child abuse.

I'm not wild about rabbit food either... namely because it tastes like the ground... but it's heather.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 12:52:57 AM
At 5/28/2014 12:41:13 AM, YYW wrote:

Child abuse.

I'm not wild about rabbit food either... namely because it tastes like the ground... but it's heather.

People don't know what's healthier. A lot of people think water is healthier than a Pepsi, but despite Pepsi using dead fetuses to flavor their drinks. Pepsi is in fact healthier as proven by science.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 1:01:18 AM
At 5/28/2014 12:52:57 AM, Wylted wrote:

Child abuse.

People don't know what's healthier. A lot of people think water is healthier than a Pepsi, but despite Pepsi using dead fetuses to flavor their drinks. Pepsi is in fact healthier as proven by science.

lol, well, I was talking only about junk food. Sodas are another question entirely... but while we're on the subject, it's a shame that more Americans don't just drink soda water mixed with juice. It tastes better than most soft drinks (other than Coke made with real sugar -which is just about the best thing ever) and it's far healthier.
Tsar of DDO
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 1:02:42 AM
...but despite Pepsi using dead fetuses to flavor their drinks...

Actually they didn't. They used kidney cell lines from an aborted fetus to test artificial flavour enhancers.

http://www.lifesitenews.com...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 1:05:13 AM
At 5/28/2014 1:01:18 AM, YYW wrote:

Child abuse.

lol, well, I was talking only about junk food. Sodas are another question entirely... but while we're on the subject, it's a shame that more Americans don't just drink soda water mixed with juice. It tastes better than most soft drinks (other than Coke made with real sugar -which is just about the best thing ever) and it's far healthier.

I didn't ever think about drinking soda water mixed with juice. I'll try that.

P.S. I'm glad you agree with me that Pepsi is healthier than water.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 1:08:07 AM
At 5/28/2014 1:02:42 AM, Geogeer wrote:
...but despite Pepsi using dead fetuses to flavor their drinks...

Actually they didn't. They used kidney cell lines from an aborted fetus to test artificial flavour enhancers.

http://www.lifesitenews.com...

So what you're saying is that not only is drinking soda healthier than drinking water, but it's okay for Catholics to do because Pepsi doesn't use aborted fetuses?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 1:08:20 AM
At 5/28/2014 1:05:13 AM, Wylted wrote:

Child abuse.

It's a European thing. Just club soda and juice (especially concentrated juice) works brilliantly.

Hey now, I never said that...
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 1:11:56 AM
At 5/28/2014 1:08:20 AM, YYW wrote:

Child abuse.

It's a European thing. Just club soda and juice (especially concentrated juice) works brilliantly.

Well it's true. If you drink too much water you can get what's known as water intoxication and die.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

There are no reported cases of people drinking too much Pepsi in a sitting and dying as a result.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 1:13:40 AM
At 5/28/2014 1:11:56 AM, Wylted wrote:

Child abuse.

Well it's true. If you drink too much water you can get what's known as water intoxication and die.

There are no reported cases of people drinking too much Pepsi in a sitting and dying as a result.

Soda can be fatal too...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
Tsar of DDO
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 1:14:04 AM
At 5/28/2014 1:08:07 AM, Wylted wrote:

So what you're saying is that not only is drinking soda healthier than drinking water, but it's okay for Catholics to do because Pepsi doesn't use aborted fetuses?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that covers the gist of what I was saying +/-.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 1:20:38 AM
At 5/28/2014 1:13:40 AM, YYW wrote:
At 5/28/2014 1:11:56 AM, Wylted wrote:

Child abuse.

Soda can be fatal too...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

I concede.