Bullish Announces Candidacy for President

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:10:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Bullish Announces Candidacy for President

I, Bullish, am running for the office of President of the Debate.org community. I believe that I am qualified to express the concerns of the community regarding DDO site management, and I believe that my unique DDO agenda is more practical, comprehensive, and superior to that of the other candidates.

Credentials

I have been a member of DDO for more than 1 year, and have been regularly active for my entire DDO life. I have racked up 1300+ posts (top 200 posters), 2724 ELO (top 300), and 68 opinions (top 80). I have not been banned, have always been on good terms with everyone here, and I have no bias from or toward any party solely based on who they are. I am aware of enough of the presidential duties and procedures to make an effective president.

I am running for president for because firstly, I want DDO's community to receive the site enhancements that it deserves, and secondly, I personally want DDO to be a high-quality debate/social site. I have no personal ambition.
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:12:46 PM
Platform

Plank One: Community outreach

What I want is for this presidency to make unprecedented movements to create community programmes that increase the ability DDO members can make there contribution to the quality of the site. I will seek out dedicated members who wish to see the DDO community grow more successful even after 6 years on the web. Here, I would take a brief moment and especially recognize TUF for being an excellent community member in the past, for hosting tournaments with prizes, developing DDO subsidiary sites such as DDOfans ( http://www.ddofans.org... ) with Larztheloser, and regularly posting on the forums.

I believe that developing functional DDO groups that specialize in certain fields, especially if done in an organised fashion. A great example of what a DDO group can accomplish is the Mafia University (found in the "Games" forum), started by users drafterman (who is no longer with us; bless his soul) and medic0506 (?) more than 2 years ago, and carried on by users Khaos_Mage, bsh1, and others. The Mafia University has bridged many mafia noobs into pro mafia players, such as users daytonanerd, PotBelliedGeek, EndarkenedRationalist, and countless others in 25 installments and counting. Such a spirit could be easily channeled to other DDO aspects, such as teaching new members DDO debate structures, RFD training, etc.

One might ask, why can't these things be done without being president? Well, they can. But, leadership is necessary in organizing multidisciplinary events on such an unprecedented scale, and without a figure to persevere through or for somebody can lay their trust in when there are issues, the movement might not hold out for long.

Plank One Subplank One: Increase quality voting.

In line with some of the other candidates, I agree that the low frequency of voting is a problem. Unlike other candidates however, I won't make promises of having every debate vote on. Forfeited debates, for example, should not receive votes at all, because a win by opponents forfeiture is not a testimony to debating prowess, and should not impact the W/L or ELO.

About two weeks ago, user Blade-of-Truth created a thread titled "BoT's Supreme Council of Determination" ( http://www.debate.org... ) that aimed to increase voting among the community. I believe that this is an excellent idea to increase both voting quantity and quality. I will seek out to promote activities such as these.

In addition to community aide, I will also ask Juggle to implement vote-based voting periods. That is, the voting period does not end unless the debate has received at least a certain number of votes. This is an idea that has been voiced by a number of users and has merit.

Plank Two: DDO and debate enhancements

Many members want features such as a DDO chatbox, fix copying debates form Word, team debates, etc. These are all features that have been sough for for a long, long time. Some long before when I was a wee nooblet.

While I agree that these issues are important to making DDO a better website, Juggle cannot keep up with all these updates. The problem here is not just that Juggle can't hear us -- they can, but that Juggle is (reasonably, I think) worried about how new code will impact important things like the site security, and page views. A former user of DDO has created a site very similar to DDO, but is much more liberal when it comes to editing code and implementing new features. I will not only ask Juggle to implement enhancements, but also ask them to be more open and with code modifications. Or, if they are unwilling, ask why, and ask them to tell the community as much as they can. That is the root of the problem.

Plank Three: Decrease visibility of unintelligent debates/polls/opinions

I had personally suggested that the debates/opinions/polls on the front page be filtered by grammar and captitalization; I am not certain if this has been implemented, but I believe that this suggestion could be instrumental in the change in the types of debates shown on the front page. It is novel yet unexplored ideas like these that can be contributed to the community.

DDO has clearly evolved in the past year or so. With the addition of the Opinions and the Polls section, DDO has become a much more cosmopolitan (to put it lightly) site. Unfortunately, different users come to DDO for different experiences, and diversity can be both educational and distracting. I believe that this can be easily fixed by adding a "filter by debater ELO" option to the debates page. This would make it easier for established members to find, read, and vote on the more high-level topic debates, and give newer members incentive to debate more.

Clearly, opinion/poll questions such as "Should people be able to select 'Cheese' as their gender on social network sites and dating sites?" and "What do you think of not wearing underwear?" should not appear on the front page for 3 days in a row. Each question should moderated before appearing. This would not only increase opinion/poll quality, but would also place emphasis on voting on them (the entire point of opinions/polls) instead of creating them.

The Debates and Forums sections are substantially different from the Opinions and Polls sections that it is better to separate them than to integrate them. Older members may not be particularly excited about the new members brought in through the gates of the Opinions/Polls sections. I share this sentiment, but at the same time I recognize that the Opinions/Polls sections can also bring new members who are more also dedicated to debating to DDO. Therefor, I propose increased ability to discuss directly on Polls/Opinions such as a "reply" option in the comments section. This would allow opinion/poll lowlifes (no offense) to stay content in thoses sections, as I was content in the Opinions section for so long (I came to this site through a humble background -- the Opinions section. Judge me).

(continued)
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:14:04 PM
(continue)

Plank Four: Transparency and user involvement

Prior presidents have promised regular updates for the DDO community regarding progress with Juggle. However, they rarely delivered. This could easily be because of a lack of qualitative information from Juggle, but I promise that with my campaign, I will post every email or communication I have with Juggle for the DDO community to see, as long as Juggle grants me permission. The purpose of this is two-fold: first, so that users can be aware of the reaches and limits of Juggle, and therefor make more practical suggestions to improve DDO; and second, so that users can hold me, as president, accountable for my interactions between the community and Juggle.

Plank Five: Moderation policy

I am mainly concerned with the moderation policy on members' usage of language; Juggle ultimately has a fuller grasp on the legal stuff in the ToS. While most users are not affected by small changes in the ToS, some prominent debate contributors may come into conflict with parts of the ToS for legitimate reasons. Moderation policy is the most sensitive of issues, because it directly impacts how those who are involved can use the site.

I believe that the current moderation policy is broken and mired in personal relationships and favoritism. This does not mean I believe that Airmax and Ore are corrupt or neglecting their job. From what I have seen, they are very dedicated moderators, and personal relationships between moderators and members are great for a small forum. DDO has simply grown too much for them to have the time and resources to track every infraction. The nature of DDO has changed and the moderation policy needs to keep up.

Therefor, in order to ease the burden, I believe that a more broad, universal, and less personal moderator policy should be introduced. A policy that lays concise and short definitions on what is "spam", what is "flaming", what is a "threat", etc., and depend less on the moderators' "discretion". This would both increase consistency and fairness, and decrease the load on moderators.
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:14:28 PM
I am, of course, open to any criticisms, comments, or suggestions. I believe that ultimately, a candidate is of the people, and is more beneficial to read the polls (not DDO polls) than to be stubborn based on some invisible "principle". If you have any questions or concerns about me, or my platform, please post. Thank you.

(Unfortunately, I will not have time today to answer questions in detail. I wish to post my announcement as quickly as possible, given how late it already is.)
0x5f3759df
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:16:37 PM
Good luck!

You'll hear from me tomorrow,
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:40:04 PM
At 6/1/2014 10:37:52 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Well, guess I'm dropping out.

Really???!!!
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:40:43 PM
At 6/1/2014 10:40:04 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Really???!!!

Like Mexican food or hot sauce?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:41:15 PM
At 6/1/2014 10:39:04 PM, YYW wrote:
Well, this just got spicy.

Like Mexican food? Or hot sauce?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:41:54 PM

Really???!!!

I was only running to make sure Bladerunner ran unopposed. So, now that it's not a threat anymore, I will not campaign for president.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:42:03 PM
At 6/1/2014 10:39:04 PM, YYW wrote:
Well, this just got spicy.

Every thread that your in is automatically spicy.

Also, to Bullish, good luck, and I look forward to a cordial, well-fought race :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:42:27 PM
At 6/1/2014 10:41:54 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Really???!!!

I was only running to make sure Bladerunner didn't run unopposed. So, now that it's not a threat anymore, I will not campaign for president.

Gah, bad typo! Fix'd.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:45:40 PM
At 6/1/2014 10:42:03 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Also, to Bullish, good luck, and I look forward to a cordial, well-fought race :)

Thanks. I like how all our names start with the letter "B".

I'm the only capitalized one you lowercase scum. (jk)
0x5f3759df
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 10:46:46 PM
At 6/1/2014 10:45:40 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 6/1/2014 10:42:03 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Thanks. I like how all our names start with the letter "B".

Alliteration! WOOT!

I'm the only capitalized one you lowercase scum. (jk)

lol
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 11:03:31 PM
Ew. I'm not voting for Bullish. Bullish is an @sshole.

I'm voting for bladerunner.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 3:49:20 PM
At 6/1/2014 11:03:31 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
...Bullish is an @sshole.

Although this is a clear violation of site policy, I believe that it should not. I am now informed that I am an @sshole to at least one person, and will look into whether I can and if so how to improve my conduct. If I'm elected president, I will ask Juggle and the moderators to allow users like GarretKadeDupre to call users like me "@sshole."
0x5f3759df
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 4:24:23 PM
At 6/2/2014 3:49:20 PM, Bullish wrote:

Although this is a clear violation of site policy, I believe that it should not. I am now informed that I am an @sshole to at least one person, and will look into whether I can and if so how to improve my conduct. If I'm elected president, I will ask Juggle and the moderators to allow users like GarretKadeDupre to call users like me "@sshole."

Sorry I think I confused you with a user with a similar name that also starts with the letters "bul".

Sorry!
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 4:31:34 PM
At 6/2/2014 4:24:23 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

Sorry I think I confused you with a user with a similar name that also starts with the letters "bul".

Sorry!

Bulproof?
My View of the World:

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 4:32:11 PM
At 6/2/2014 4:31:34 PM, Crescendo wrote:

Sorry!

Bulproof?

yeah
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:24:38 PM

Sorry!

Well I'm glad we cleared that up. I hope bulproof doesn't mind being called an @sshole.
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:27:55 PM
I will post a video (read: audio only) response to select questions in the Townhall style meeting that Larz hosted tomorrow afternoon. Then, on Wednesday, I will post responses to select questions in Mikal's "IDGAF" interview.

This is probably the only time I'll says this: I feel like Ron Paul.
0x5f3759df
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:30:41 PM
At 6/2/2014 10:27:55 PM, Bullish wrote:
I will post a video (read: audio only) response to select questions in the Townhall style meeting that Larz hosted tomorrow afternoon. Then, on Wednesday, I will post responses to select questions in Mikal's "IDGAF" interview.

I'll definitely watch :D
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:30:44 PM

Far be it from me to interject in your campaign, and I don't mean anything mean by this, but wouldn't it be better for you to get your own questions, rather than (no offense) cherry-picking the questions you'd like to ask from discussions from before you were running?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:31:25 PM
At 6/2/2014 4:32:11 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 6/2/2014 4:31:34 PM, Crescendo wrote:

Sorry!

Bulproof?

yeah

BWAHAHAHA
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:33:30 PM
At 6/2/2014 10:30:44 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Far be it from me to interject in your campaign, and I don't mean anything mean by this, but wouldn't it be better for you to get your own questions, rather than (no offense) cherry-picking the questions you'd like to ask from discussions from before you were running?

The FAQ system was developed to help people who have common questions that may have already been answered thoroughly. Think of this as my FAQ. Of course I will hold a more direct "AMA" interviews once I have posted 2 0r 3 campaign threads.
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 9:21:09 PM
Unfortunately, I ran into some uploading issues with YouTube over my video. What this means is that my responses will be delayed for 1 day. I apologize for failing to keep up with my campaign schedule.
0x5f3759df
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:36:10 PM
At 6/1/2014 10:12:46 PM, Bullish wrote:

I'm currious to hear your positions on a few things.

Would you as a President set up a sort of DDOscars that had been brought up earlier by another member. I figured that that would be a good idea since we are kinda going through a dark ages and we need a light to guide us through and make this site more 'fun'.

You said that you would expand the 'Adpodt a Noob' program that I came up with, but I'd like to know just how you intend on doing such a thing besides just making it always on the front page. I fear that it might end up like the mafia one where it just gets forgotten and left behind even though it's always on the front page.

Will you expand the tag team debates beyond the Team Red vs Team Blue concept. The thing is the Red vs. Blue is ineffective, because the users see it as useless. They don't really get anything out of it. The method I was thinking for this was like how we have open debates. Do that with tag team debates. Person A insigates the debate as Pro and then Person B, C, and D can chose what spot they want in the debate.

How/Would you clean up the poll section? And since there are more people using the polls section and a growing problem with it. How will you plan to fix it? Will you also add to the poll leader board the same as opinions. (add poll likes and comment likes etc) Polls can be good, but people spam it with useless junk. I agree something needs to be done about it, but I believe the methods suggested by Mikal and Bluesteel are the wrong way to go about this. Their methods would kill the polls section. I have a different proposition. I purpose that if the poll has been made the subject can't be reproduced. (cuts down on Does God Exist Polls), allow a DDO mod to get rid of obvious troll polls (Is my pet rock dead poll) these outlines will obviously have to be made on how this is done, establish a Poll ELO type system, and put a cap on poll voting periods (year or so should suffice. These that I have suggested are indeed popular with DDO as proved in my poll data (34 users yay 16 nay) and they won't kill the poll section forcing Juggle to possible close them down as some users are wanting.

Would it be possible to add a spam folder to the inbox to block mass messages that include over 20 people?

I'm concerned about transparentcy on this site. What would you do as President, beside weekly updates forum, to do such a thing? Perhaps occasionally chatting with DDO members in PMs just to see how they are doing. Inoman and Airmax1227 did that and they recieved massive popularity among the public here on DDO.

I also wish the top 5 debaters thing was back. It was on the old DDO Format. Though it was never 1. Danielle 2. Ima 3. Roy 4. Brian_Eggelston 5. 16kadams I showed active users and it was a motivation boost every time I saw my name on there. I think that if it can boost my morale it can help this site aswell.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:39:40 PM
Who's your running mate?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~