Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Presidential Candidate of the Right

Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2010 10:27:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
On the right we have Ragnar_Rahl running for president of DDO. At his side is wjmelements for VP.

Both of them took the www.quiz2d.com/quiz and scored http://www.quiz2d.com...

I also had the pleasure of doing a one on one interview with Ragnar_Rahl. Here it is for those that wish to read through it.

OreEle
Welcome to the first Presidential Interview of 2010 on Debate.org. I hope that you are feeling well and excited for the opportunity that it before you. Let us get started, shall we?

On your Big Issues on your profile, you say that you support war in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran. However, you do not support war on terror. Why is that?

Ragnar_Rahl
"Oh hey terrorism. I'm going to shoot you." *crickets.* Terrorism is not an enemy. It is a tactic that can be used for good or ill. It should be noted I support withdrawal of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan at this time, and my position on Iran really means I simply believe we are currently at war and shouldn't sue for peace, not that I think we should escalate it. But a lot of people are at war in the broad sense I use the word :P.

OreEle
What is the "broad sense" in which you use the word "war" and how would you determine when things need to be escalated in Iran or in any conflict in general?

Ragnar_Rahl
War: The state in which force is involved in a relationship between two parties in a manner which makes their interests conflict. Either A: If Iran escalates it, escalate it further. or B: If a cheap opportunity to do damage (cheap including the costs that result when they realize the escalation) arises.

OreEle
You support "smaller" government, correct? Then what we currently have in the US?

Ragnar_Rahl
Far smaller. Though it is of primary importance not that it be small but that it be limited to retaliatory rather than initial force, I have very little doubt the effect would be it being smaller.

OreEle
What programs or reponsibilities would the government maintain under your ideal administration?

Ragnar_Rahl
Police, courts, and the military, to deal with invaders, robbers, thieves, trespassers of all sorts, and the fraudulent, is the best summary. At least, to deal with those of the above that target those who pay the user fee.

OreEle
And what taxes and/or fees (or other methods) would you leave implemented to pay for those?

Ragnar_Rahl
Well, lessee here. Tolls on any roads the government has, a small percentage of the value exchanged in each contract that is to be legally enforced (nonpayment means the contract is no more meaningful than toilet paper in court), opening your phone as a connection to emergency numbers (nonpayment means you can't call, nor be protected if someone calls on your behalf, nor post signs that display the government's trademark demonstrating to prospective criminals that you are protected), are the sorts of things that would be needed. Obviously experienced bureaucrats would be consulted for similar ideas.

OreEle
So those that can't afford the protection of the government (medial transportation or police officers if their house is being robbed), will not be eligible for it?

Ragnar_Rahl
Pretty much. Unless you'd care to make a donation to them?

OreEle
Curious18 would like to know what your policy is regarding nuclear weapons, both around the world and our current stockpile.

Ragnar_Rahl
Maintain the stockpile, as it ages replace it with probably a smaller one. Dismantle or acquire enemy weapons, depending on whether they meet our quality standards, in the event of invasions for other reasons, but do not invade by reason of nukes unless there is significant reason to believe you're dealing with an actor so irrational the difference between deterrence and destruction is wide enough to justify the costs of destruction. I do not believe even North Korea presently meets this qualification.

OreEle
"...as it ages replace it with probably a smaller one."

What would be done with the surplus nuclear material?

Ragnar_Rahl
The science says Yucca Mntn.

OreEle
Mongeese would like to know what you attend to do about past, present, and future vote bombing?

Ragnar_Rahl
Phil already did the important thing in implementing public voting. Votes are not the business of the Presidency. Anyone who cares about the votes on their debate can post screenshots of the vote bombing nowadays in threads to other people who care about such things.

OreEle
Koopin would like to know if you have any plans on dealing with trolls and/or multiaccount users.

Ragnar_Rahl
Trolls are fun. Leave the invisible hand of Phil to his devices for multiaccounts.

OreEle
You say that you are for the legalization of drugs, so long as they are not smoked. Why is it that you put your foot down when it comes to the inhalation of a drug and the consumption of choice?

Ragnar_Rahl
It's not other people inhaling it I'm concerned about but the fact that they exhale it and it reaches the lungs of those who did not choose to consume it.

OreEle
Even if done in personal residence or on private property where there are posted signed "marijuana is smoked here, enter at your own choice?"

Ragnar_Rahl
Meh, cops won't see it, and it should dissipate at that point pretty well, but I'm not a scientist and can't make guarantees. Basically the idea is to hand out tickets if a cop is a place they are supposed to be for other reasons and happen to light up. I doubt people would pay up user fees for much else anyway.

Ragnar_Rahl
if a cop is a place they are supposed to be for other reasons and *someone happens* to light up.

OreEle
Well, I thank you for sitting through this first Presidential interview and look forward to more in the coming weeks.

Have a great day and good luck with the election.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2010 11:14:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I would like to ask Ragnar Rahl his opinion on nuclear weapons and more specifically on the mass killings at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2010 11:46:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hey, If anyone wants me to ask any questions in the next interviews, please PM me.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 12:06:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
"
Maintain the stockpile, as it ages replace it with probably a smaller one. Dismantle or acquire enemy weapons, depending on whether they meet our quality standards, in the event of invasions for other reasons, but do not invade by reason of nukes unless there is significant reason to believe you're dealing with an actor so irrational the difference between deterrence and destruction is wide enough to justify the costs of destruction. I do not believe even North Korea presently meets this qualification."

Was in my interview. In other words I favor a nuclear deterrent.

The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki accomplished nothing. The exact same conditions (negligible ones) of surrender we accepted afterwards were offered beforehand, at least, that's what I gather from high school history class, and this source although untrustworthy repeats much of what I recall from it:(http://www.ihr.org...). If anything at all should have come of our short time in a unipolar nuclear world (and this depends on a resource situation I'm not sure of) it should have been the destruction of the Soviet Union before it became the Cold War got rolling, not some stupid, probably electoral concern.

Now, if anyone has a solid rebuttal to the ihr article, and I'm not looking for "It's the IHR"-- make it a little more substantial-- maybe quote Macarthur saying "Hell no I didn't confirm the authenticity of that!"-- I'd love to hear it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 9:41:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is a disappointment that I had with both candidates (I'm only posting on R_R's thread because his is shorter and has been longer since a reply, and he specifically mentions yucca mountain).

Yucca mountian is perfectly safe for used nuclear fuel (which has a much lower concentration of U235), however it is not as safe for weapons grade nuclear material.

http://berkeley.edu...

In the 90's it was proposed that weapons grade material could go supercritical (just a scare tactic word for "blowing up"). While, many researchers have said that the chance is low, none say that it is nil and all recognize that the risk is greater with weapons grade then depleted fuel (mainly because the depleted fuel cannot physically go boom anyway). But the main argument that it is currently safe is...

"The crux of the matter is, by the time you accumulate the necessary plutonium for an explosion -- about 250 kilograms -- most of it has decayed," said William Kastenberg, project organizer and professor and chair of nuclear engineering at UC Berkeley. "And uranium will be flushed out of the system into the groundwater without accumulating a critical mass."

But that was based on the current plan that involved disposing of X nuclear weapons a year. Any change (and increase or decrease) to that would change the chemistry of the situation. For example, Plutonium doesn't disolve in water very well at all so it's movement is slow. However, basic math tells us that things disolve at a rate function (meaning the more of X you have, the more that disolves per year). So if we increase the amount of plutonium 100X, then 100X as much will get disolved each year, and then instead of taking 100,000 years, it only takes 1,000 years (which thus makes it more likely to happen).

Now, I don't think that Yucca mountian is a bad idea, I just think that when it comes to weapons grade nuclear material, that there are better options. Such as recycling it to use it with powerplants.

http://www.ornl.gov...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
MTGandP
Posts: 702
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 10:10:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/15/2010 9:41:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
Now, I don't think that Yucca mountian is a bad idea, I just think that when it comes to weapons grade nuclear material, that there are better options. Such as recycling it to use it with powerplants.

http://www.ornl.gov...

I thought most nuclear weapons were fusion-based?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 10:14:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/15/2010 10:10:11 AM, MTGandP wrote:
At 2/15/2010 9:41:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
Now, I don't think that Yucca mountian is a bad idea, I just think that when it comes to weapons grade nuclear material, that there are better options. Such as recycling it to use it with powerplants.

http://www.ornl.gov...

I thought most nuclear weapons were fusion-based?

No, most are Fission based, only hydrogen bombs are fusion based (which is more powerful, however also easier to deal with because the material is not as dangerous), and even then then we are developing fusion style reactors (though they are still a long way off).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 10:26:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Good point Oreele.

That's why we have bureaucracies, to make sure little gaffes like that don't turn into policy. Though I guess reporters work too :P

And if it's recycled to use in power plants, does it not end up in Yucca Mountain in the end anyway? I was just missing a step.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 10:28:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/15/2010 10:14:34 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 2/15/2010 10:10:11 AM, MTGandP wrote:
At 2/15/2010 9:41:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
Now, I don't think that Yucca mountian is a bad idea, I just think that when it comes to weapons grade nuclear material, that there are better options. Such as recycling it to use it with powerplants.

http://www.ornl.gov...

I thought most nuclear weapons were fusion-based?

No, most are Fission based, only hydrogen bombs are fusion based (which is more powerful, however also easier to deal with because the material is not as dangerous), and even then then we are developing fusion style reactors (though they are still a long way off).

I forgot to mention that even Fusion bombs use uranium or plutonium (or some other fissile material) to start the fusion reaction (brain fart on my part).

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 10:29:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/15/2010 10:26:12 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Good point Oreele.

That's why we have bureaucracies, to make sure little gaffes like that don't turn into policy. Though I guess reporters work too :P

And if it's recycled to use in power plants, does it not end up in Yucca Mountain in the end anyway? I was just missing a step.

It does, but after getting more use out of it and depleting it a bit (so you get use and safety out of it).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"