Jump to topic:

Presidential Candidate of the Left

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2010 10:32:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
On the right we have Lexicaholic running for president of DDO. At his side is Volkov for VP.

Both of them took the www.quiz2d.com/quiz and Lexicaholic scored http://www.quiz2d.com... and Volkov scored http://www.quiz2d.com...

I also had the pleasure of doing a one on one interview with Lexicaholic. Here it is for those that wish to read through it.

OreEle
Welcome to the first Presidential Interview of 2010 on Debate.org. I hope that you are feeling well and excited for the opportunity that it before you. Let us get started, shall we?

You have stated that you already have most, if not all, of you cabinet already chosen. How many members in you cabinet we registered members of the left that participated in the caucus?

Lexicaholic
A number of them are in fact members of the caucus, but several were not; those of our positions that are unfilled are actually due our attempts to reach across the isle and bring in some conservative talent to balance the administration. I can't think of the exact number off the top of my head, but I do know that two cabinet positions were not members of the caucus, though at least one of them certainly is a liberal. Some members I had been planning on giving positions well before I was invited into the caucus, and I'll be sure to talk more about that as the campaign progresses. I think when you see the qualifications of my appointees and what we're planning in full, you'll be presently surprised. I'm making sure to only select the best people for each position. I'm sure they'll serve admirably. Now, certainly, this is going to be a liberal administration. I'm on the left and it's only natural that I would appoint people who would best work with me; but there are a number of positions that I want libertarian or conservative candidates to fill. I don't want them just because they're on the right, either. I want them because I think they would do a good job. Hopefully, they'll agree.

OreEle
In what type of position would you feel that a libertarian or conservative would better serve then a liberal?

Lexicaholic
Well, I think it's important to remember that I want them because of their experience, not simply because they are libertarian or conservative. Actually, one of my choices just recently got back to me and accepted his candidacy. So we're moving ahead on reaching across the aisle. In direct answer to your question, I match people with positions, not ideology with positions. There is no position where any ideology excels, but there are people who hold different ideologies who would better serve in those positions.

OreEle
Mongeese would like to know, what do you intend to do about past, present, and future votebombing?

Lexicaholic
I feel that present and future vote bombing are much less of a risk now that we have open voting. To the extent that anyone vote bombs, it can be easily proven and a quick post in the vote-bomb thread will get the votes cleaned up. I'm really not too concerned about it at this time. That doesn't mean that my administration won't keep an eye on it though. It's just that site revenue, ads, and additional functionality are our primary focus. As for past vote bombing, I intend to hold a ballot to see whether or not, as a site, my administration would be expected to do something about it. My personal belief is that the stain of past vote-bombing will be sufficiently washed away through future open voting. The key is keeping this site up and running long enough for that to happen, of course, which is why my administration is focusing on site revenue. Now, if members demand an added feature for fixing past vote bombing, I actually have an idea that could work - namely, the ability to reopen closed debates at the request of seven or more members within a one month time period. But I don't intend to move forward on that until after we have improved this site's visibility.

OreEle
You said that you wanted to add some "pay for features" to this site. What features would be included in this "premium" membership? And how might that affect non-premium features?

Lexicaholic
I wouldn't anticipate that it would affect non-premium features one iota. As for premium membership features, I believe that two are essential to our success: 1) real time streaming video debates and 2) debate tournament functionality. The second feature, which really hasn't been touched upon yet, would allow premium members to participate in site directed tournaments so that members would not have to rely upon the informal book-keeping that is currently used. Naturally, the first feature would incorporate the second feature as well.

OreEle
Koopin wants to know what would be done, if anything, about trolls and/or multiuser accounts.

Lexicaholic
Trolls and multi-user accounts are a problem, certainly, though I would say that, given the nature of this site, multi-user accounts are the bigger issue. My solution to countering the multi-user problem would be two-fold: first, get more legitimate active accounts on this site, which my administration is intent on doing. This will also hopefully, help mitigate the troll problem. Second, organize groups to evaluate the voting histories and activities of overall 'quiet' or 'suspicious' accounts and create a report mechanism, with a notice automatically served to suspected accounts upon three such reports, stating that the account is accused of being a multi-user account and must respond to the charge within a certain period of time or risk having their account(s) closed. I would recommend that the administrator give certain trusted members limited administrative authority to deal with processing these charges. Forcing a suspected account to explain why it shouldn't be suspected ought to be enough to prove whether or not it should be closed. Of course, these are only mitigating activities, not fixes. I can think of a fix, but it involves user fees, which I would not implement on this site.

OreEle
Wouldn't the "three reports and you're on probabtion" have risk of abuse? The posibilty that some people may use it to temporarily silence those that they think may vote against them?

Lexicaholic
The three reports system would assume three reports from three separate individuals, so you'd need co-conspirators. Also, as I explained, even after the report there would be a review and defense process *before* suspending the account, so I wouldn't expect a lot of valid accounts getting banned. The period of time to explain yourself would be sufficient to provide adequate notice - at least fifteen days. So I really don't think it would serve as a good way to temporarily silence your opponents. Obviously, if someone abuses the feature, and there are clear instances of such abuse, that user could be suspended or banned depending upon the severity. There are enough ways to prevent abuse, I believe. Of course, my administration will be constantly fine tuning this idea and those like it as we continue to evaluate the problem.

OreEle
Curious18 would like to know what you position is regarding nuclear weapons, both foreign and domestic.

Lexicaholic
My position is that, regrettably, they exist, and while we may succeed in quelling proliferation, we will never be able to go back to a time before nuclear weapons existed. Therefore, we must retain some of our nuclear arsenal. Not being a fool or a hypocrite, I would expect other nations to do the same. Hopefully, with diplomacy, we may convince other nations to stand down their nuclear ambitions, and to develop peaceable relations with their fellow nations such that the disasters of nuclear aggression need never be realized on a grander scale than they already have been.

...To Be Continued.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2010 10:32:47 PM
...Continued

OreEle
When you say "we must retain some of our nuclear arsenal," that seems to imply that you would disarm some of the weapons, but not all, correct? If that is the case, what would you do with the nuclear material from the weapons that you disarm?

Lexicaholic
I have no disarmament plans at this time. I would be open to the idea of disarming some of our arsenal as a matter of diplomacy, and would probably work with my administration and experts in the necessary fields to determines the safest and most efficient disposal process. I can't imagine that anyone would be so foolhardy as to suggest that the disposal of weapon grade nuclear material is a simple matter to be handled by a single individual.

OreEle
Well, I thank you for sitting through this first Presidential interview and look forward to more in the coming weeks.

Have a great day and good luck with the election.

Lexicaholic
I thank you for your time, OreEle. I look forward to our future correspondence!
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2010 11:12:06 PM
I would like to ask Lexicaholic if there is any situation in which he would use a nuclear bomb and more specifically his opinion regarding the mass killings at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

This is a vote breaker.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2010 11:14:53 PM
At 2/14/2010 11:12:06 PM, Reasoning wrote:
I would like to ask Lexicaholic if there is any situation in which he would use a nuclear bomb and more specifically his opinion regarding the mass killings at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

This is a vote breaker.

Would you ask the same question to R_R?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2010 11:45:50 PM
If anyone wants me to ask any questions in the next interviews, please PM me.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 12:07:51 AM
He phrased the question differently, sneaky bastard :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 12:26:51 AM
At 2/14/2010 10:32:20 PM, OreEle wrote:

Both of them took the www.quiz2d.com/quiz and Lexicaholic scored http://www.quiz2d.com... and Volkov scored http://www.quiz2d.com...

lol, so if it weren't for Volkov I might just like the ticket :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 6:14:57 AM
At 2/15/2010 12:26:51 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
lol, so if it weren't for Volkov I might just like the ticket :)

Oh whatever. You know you want my social liberalness.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 12:33:05 PM
At 2/14/2010 11:12:06 PM, Reasoning wrote:

This is a vote breaker.

Yes, I would use nuclear arsenal in a situation where it was the last and realistically best hope of maintaining sovereignty in a conflict against an enemy nation. No, I would not ordinarily bomb an area with a high civilian concentration without warning. No, I would not bomb two such locations to make a psychological 'point'. I would use such a device unannounced against strictly military targets however. In my estimation, use of multiple bombs against strictly military targets and areas of sparse concentration with high cultural value would have been just as effective. Of course, I am not privy to all of the intelligence that went into making the decision to launch the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, so I could not with perfect accuracy predict my response; I would say that in the current political climate the need for the use of such weaponry in such a manner seems unimaginable.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 12:53:05 PM
I'll propose the same thing here I did in R_R's thread.

When it comes to what to do with the nuclear material from disarmed weapons, what about using it in nuclear power plants?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 1:01:43 PM
At 2/15/2010 12:53:05 PM, OreEle wrote:
When it comes to what to do with the nuclear material from disarmed weapons, what about using it in nuclear power plants?

You can't do that. The material used in nuclear weapons is not the same as the material used in nuclear power plants.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 1:06:55 PM
I'll propose the same thing here I did in R_R's thread.

That is a possibility, at least with plutonium. Of course, security is a concern of any such plans, but provided that sufficient security could be procured, such a plan could be acceptable. On the other hand, I am also looking to have my administration evaluate our ability to develop alternative energy production methods, so that hopefully, in the near future, we'll not need to rely upon nuclear power as much as we do at present.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 1:07:13 PM
At 2/15/2010 1:01:43 PM, Volkov wrote:

You can't do that. The material used in nuclear weapons is not the same as the material used in nuclear power plants.

You remix it with the spent fuel to lower its concentration back down to what the power plants can handle (thus also recycling the nuclear waste). Also, there are power plants that are designed to use the higher concentration of weapons grade fuel. And we are also developing power plants to utilize fusion.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 1:24:14 PM
At 2/15/2010 1:07:13 PM, OreEle wrote:
You remix it with the spent fuel to lower its concentration back down to what the power plants can handle (thus also recycling the nuclear waste). Also, there are power plants that are designed to use the higher concentration of weapons grade fuel. And we are also developing power plants to utilize fusion.

Isn't that kind of a large use of money that otherwise wouldn't have any added benefits to the usual programs?
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 1:27:48 PM
At 2/15/2010 1:24:14 PM, Volkov wrote:

Isn't that kind of a large use of money that otherwise wouldn't have any added benefits to the usual programs?

It is, Volkov, but as the disposal process would no doubt be expensive anyway, I see little harm in the added costs such a program might incur. The major problem is one of security. Of course, we have numerous scientifically minded individuals joining our administration along with several leaders in business administration, so we could run the numbers by them.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 1:30:06 PM
At 2/15/2010 1:27:48 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:
It is, Volkov, but as the disposal process would no doubt be expensive anyway, I see little harm in the added costs such a program might incur. The major problem is one of security. Of course, we have numerous scientifically minded individuals joining our administration along with several leaders in business administration, so we could run the numbers by them.

I'd do that. It isn't that I oppose such an idea, however, I'd question whether or not it would be worth it.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 1:31:04 PM
At 2/15/2010 1:24:14 PM, Volkov wrote:

no, since the fuel that they currently mine takes a lot of time and money (extracting the ore, separating it, and concentrating it to usable levels). The stuff that we currently have only needs to be "watered down" which is pretty easy with U235 (since it is soluble in water) by mixing it with the current nuclear waste to make more fuel. This will lower the amount of waste that needs to be taken care of (since the waste gets reused). And since the material is already there (sitting in weapons) it doesn't need to be mined or processed in the same way the other stuff does.