Jump to topic:

Free Evidence for Policy, LD, and PF Debate

KingDebater369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:09:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
People that debate in high school, have to find evidence for their debate cases. Today I'm going to post a username and password for planetdebate.com, a website that has a LOT of evidence. I just felt like doing this for fun.

Username: hillcrestdebate
Password: huskycanyon

It works =)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:26:30 PM
At 6/6/2014 10:09:03 PM, KingDebater369 wrote:
People that debate in high school, have to find evidence for their debate cases. Today I'm going to post a username and password for planetdebate.com, a website that has a LOT of evidence. I just felt like doing this for fun.

It works =)

That's the site I use... :( Hopefully no one from MD is on here, otherwise our evidence advantage just went down the drain...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:33:29 PM
This....holy wow. And I did (most) my research from scratch. This is broken as f*ck...
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:37:01 PM
At 6/6/2014 10:33:29 PM, Zaradi wrote:
This....holy wow. And I did (most) my research from scratch. This is broken as f*ck...

mafia?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:37:27 PM

Victory Briefs, Champion briefs, and a few other exist out there...they're actually really good. Planet debate is, as a rule, more policy-oriented. It saves a ton of time on research if you're willing to pay, and instead allows you to focus on constructing cases and developing technique, vice having to look a ton of stuff up. Frankly, VB is probably the best, and CB is the worst. PD is all my budget can afford though...but it's useful
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

KingDebater369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:45:11 PM
At 6/6/2014 10:37:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Victory Briefs, Champion briefs, and a few other exist out there...they're actually really good. Planet debate is, as a rule, more policy-oriented. It saves a ton of time on research if you're willing to pay, and instead allows you to focus on constructing cases and developing technique, vice having to look a ton of stuff up. Frankly, VB is probably the best, and CB is the worst. PD is all my budget can afford though...but it's useful

I agree that PD is definitely better for policy, and to a lesser extent, public forum when compared to LD. I wanted to be a nice person and give this to people so it would help... But perhaps this will give everyone a big advantage when debating. But it makes me feel good inside =)
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:47:03 PM
At 6/6/2014 10:45:11 PM, KingDebater369 wrote:

I agree that PD is definitely better for policy, and to a lesser extent, public forum when compared to LD. I wanted to be a nice person and give this to people so it would help... But perhaps this will give everyone a big advantage when debating. But it makes me feel good inside =)

VB is the best for LD, but way too expensive...Do you have a full membership, or do you still pay for individual docs?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:47:08 PM

Lol me too....sometimes the hard way is the best way though.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:49:34 PM
At 6/6/2014 10:47:08 PM, thett3 wrote:

IDK...I thought it was a way to end-run the system (and it is), but it's becoming increasingly hard to compete without policy-like volumes of evidence on hand...even in LD. Since LDers can't feasibly do that much research every two months, these briefs have become a necessary evil.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:51:59 PM
At 6/6/2014 10:49:34 PM, bsh1 wrote:

IDK...I thought it was a way to end-run the system (and it is), but it's becoming increasingly hard to compete without policy-like volumes of evidence on hand...even in LD. Since LDers can't feasibly do that much research every two months, these briefs have become a necessary evil.

We just did a lot of division of labor, but yeah it's hard to compete with teams that have like 3 coaches who do nothing but write their cases for them.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:59:35 PM
At 6/6/2014 10:51:59 PM, thett3 wrote:

We just did a lot of division of labor, but yeah it's hard to compete with teams that have like 3 coaches who do nothing but write their cases for them.

Hey! I write some of my kid's cases for them...IDK...I only have two LDers, and we, on average, use about 50 pages of evidences per topic. Before we started purchasing briefs, we would get about 10 pages of useful stuff per week...so it would take us the entire two months to get to where we needed to be in order to be competitive. A lot of the stuff in the briefs is useless, so we still have to do research the old-fashioned way, but it's much more manageable, and less-panic inducing than before.

I mean, for CatNats, we generated about 40 pages of useful evidence on our own, and bought a brief (260 pages) which ended up being cut down to only 40 pages of useful evidence. Altogether, we wouldn't have found a lot of the stuff in the brief had we not bought it, and it would've made us far less competitive. I've never seen this much emphasis placed on evidence (locally or nationally) as I have in the past two years. It's become crazy.

With policy topics that change once a year, it's easier to keep up the old-fashioned way, IMO. Not so with LD.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

KingDebater369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 11:01:15 PM
At 6/6/2014 10:47:03 PM, bsh1 wrote:

VB is the best for LD, but way too expensive...Do you have a full membership, or do you still pay for individual docs?

It's my schools - Full Membership =). Sometimes i find it ridiculous that this much evidence can just be bought (I actually thought it was cheating for a second). But everyone uses some website to get their evidence nowadays. There is just no way to compete without it. Though I think, that there are probably stuff that's better than pd for LD. There's piles and piles of evidence, but some times it's hard to understand how to implement it in your case. Some of the other files (Victory briefs, Foundation Briefs, etc.) actually provide analysts. (I'm in LD debate btw)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 11:03:00 PM

^ tl;dr f*ck hockaday
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 11:03:53 PM
At 6/6/2014 11:01:15 PM, KingDebater369 wrote:
At 6/6/2014 10:47:03 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It's my schools - Full Membership =). Sometimes i find it ridiculous that this much evidence can just be bought (I actually thought it was cheating for a second). But everyone uses some website to get their evidence nowadays.

Well...not EVERYONE...but a lot of people do.

There is just no way to compete without it.

Agreed.

Though I think, that there are probably stuff that's better than pd for LD. There's piles and piles of evidence, but some times it's hard to understand how to implement it in your case. Some of the other files (Victory briefs, Foundation Briefs, etc.) actually provide analysts. (I'm in LD debate btw)

Yeah...VB is great, just expensive. But, I normally find little of use in their analysis. It's usually just going over obvious things that people are going to run anyway.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 11:03:56 PM
At 6/6/2014 11:03:00 PM, Zaradi wrote:

^ tl;dr f*ck hockaday

No I love Hockaday
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 11:07:02 PM
At 6/6/2014 11:03:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 6/6/2014 11:03:00 PM, Zaradi wrote:

^ tl;dr f*ck hockaday

No I love Hockaday

No f*ck Hockaday.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 2:39:40 PM
At 6/6/2014 10:26:30 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It works =)

That's the site I use... :( Hopefully no one from MD is on here, otherwise our evidence advantage just went down the drain...

If you rely on evidence advantage your program needs some work.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 2:44:26 PM

If you do some smart networking on-line you can get most stuff. When I was in HS I knew about 10 people online from around the country and could get all the camp evidence before the season started. This was before open evidence project.

I guess it probably is harder for LD with the fast turn-around, but I am really surprised evidence collectives haven't emerged as a permanent fixture in the LD scene.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 2:56:30 PM
At 6/7/2014 2:39:40 PM, Raisor wrote:

It works =)

Of course we don't rely on that. But, it is certainly a benefit in front of judges who prefer a lot of cards, vice actual analysis or debate skills. Some of our local league judges have written ballots along the lines of: "X had 15 cards in their case; Y only had 10. So X wins."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 2:57:54 PM
At 6/7/2014 2:44:26 PM, Raisor wrote:

If you do some smart networking on-line you can get most stuff. When I was in HS I knew about 10 people online from around the country and could get all the camp evidence before the season started. This was before open evidence project.

I guess it probably is harder for LD with the fast turn-around, but I am really surprised evidence collectives haven't emerged as a permanent fixture in the LD scene.

That's very prevalent in policy, but you're right, it is hard to get done in LD.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 3:12:30 PM
At 6/7/2014 2:56:30 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It works =)

Of course we don't rely on that. But, it is certainly a benefit in front of judges who prefer a lot of cards, vice actual analysis or debate skills. Some of our local league judges have written ballots along the lines of: "X had 15 cards in their case; Y only had 10. So X wins."

Oh man, fighting the urge to fall into a debate strategy/judge adaptation argument rat-hole...

But in short I think you should always just pre-empt that with good arguments. If the extra cards actually don't matter, then just explain why. Don't try to match people who over-spread just because some judges are dumb; build your arguments to prevent bad judges from being dumb.

Obviously easier said than done, especially since it relies on actual argumentative skill.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 3:19:32 PM
At 6/7/2014 3:12:30 PM, Raisor wrote:

It works =)

Oh man, fighting the urge to fall into a debate strategy/judge adaptation argument rat-hole...

We work very hard with teaching our LDers and Policy debaters to adapt. Our policy team excels at it, as does one of my LDers...the other LDer, not so much. She thinks she can win without tailoring to judges' paradigms...it doesn't help to dissuade her of that view when she has an excellent winning record even without adapting.

But in short I think you should always just pre-empt that with good arguments. If the extra cards actually don't matter, then just explain why. Don't try to match people who over-spread just because some judges are dumb; build your arguments to prevent bad judges from being dumb.

Our team doesn't spread. Having cards and spreading aren't one in the same.

Obviously easier said than done, especially since it relies on actual argumentative skill.

Which our debaters certainly have.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 3:33:33 PM
At 6/7/2014 3:19:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/7/2014 3:12:30 PM, Raisor wrote:

It works =)

We work very hard with teaching our LDers and Policy debaters to adapt. Our policy team excels at it, as does one of my LDers...the other LDer, not so much. She thinks she can win without tailoring to judges' paradigms...it doesn't help to dissuade her of that view when she has an excellent winning record even without adapting.

Our team doesn't spread. Having cards and spreading aren't one in the same.

: Which our debaters certainly have.

Awww....
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 3:38:19 PM
At 6/7/2014 3:33:33 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 6/7/2014 3:19:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Which our debaters certainly have.

Awww....

lol
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

KingDebater369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 5:13:45 PM
Wtf... The login isn't working anymore... Who the heck is responsible.... I figured this would have happened.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 5:14:56 PM
At 6/7/2014 5:13:45 PM, KingDebater369 wrote:
Wtf... The login isn't working anymore... Who the heck is responsible.... I figured this would have happened.

Thank god :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

KingDebater369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 5:24:37 PM
At 6/7/2014 5:14:56 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/7/2014 5:13:45 PM, KingDebater369 wrote:

Thank god :)

LOL... Of course you are happy. Well so much for that. It was fun while it lasted =)