Jump to topic:

Bullish Answers Campaign Questions, part 2

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 8:52:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
News one: I will announce my running mate by Monday night.

You can also ask me other questions about my campaign here.

The rough transcript is posted below:
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 8:55:04 PM
Mikal IDGAF interview questions

Bluesteel: why don"t you start by telling us your vision for the president? What do you think the president"s job is, where would you take it, and how will you be different from the previous presidents?

-The president"s job is to communicate with Juggle on DDO"s behalf. A "diplomat" as bladerunner put it. The president has no site powers, at all. The president doesn"t have much clout with Juggle either. Imagine if Juggle is the U.S., then the DDO president would be a TV celebrity/ambassador from Micronesia or some country. But even without any official power, people will still care about a TV celebrity, and the president could really bring about some changes. Former candidate orangemayhem reminded me that the president shouldn"t ask too much from Juggle, and I agree; the things I"m going to ask from Juggle, in addition to large updates, would be small but potentially important things like increase RFD character count, making "popular" the main pages for opinions and polls, making the ELO voting requirement more appearent, and such. That"s also why I"m focusing on community building.

Mikal: can you tie that with how you work with airmax?

-No, actually. I think I"m the only active guy here who"s not friends with airmax. But that in itself isn"t necessarily a bad thing. I view that there is very little official relationship between president and the moderators, except for maybe helping out in things that anybody else could too, such as the moderation policy. Even though I have not personally worked in depth with airmax, I think outside perspective would not be a bad thing.

What are your thoughts on airmax"s new policy?

-I don"t remember what exactly the "old" policy was, so I can"t make a comparision. But there was obviously a change, or imabench wouldn"t have been banned and then left. I think, this "new" policy is too strict. Few other sites, and to consider that this site is built for arguments, have as strict a policy on how members can and cannot interact with each other. In addition, none of what airmax posted in the policy thread is in the ToS, which makes me question its authority. I had mentioned that I want these policies to be written directly in the ToS or some "community guidelines" page like I showed with Yahoo Answers in part 1. I think we should start the policy with "no flaming," "no harassment," and things like that, instead of just a blanked "you can"t attack anyone or his opinions."

(Questions regarding other people on the ticket)

-I"ve had two prominent people ask me if we could run together. I"ve sent out some feelers. Hopefully, my running mate will be set by Friday. I want a member who is dedicated to organizing all these programs that should be implemented on DDO and has connections with people on this site. I want to work with members like Blade-of-Truth, ClassicRobert, and Mikal, because they have proactively set up programs that are similar to the ones I"m pushing.

Bluesteel: how much time have you devoted to this site? How much time can you devote?

-I have a lot of time. I live in the Eastern time zone. I"m available for DDO pretty much anytime in the day, since I can access a phone pretty much at any time. I have access to a computer in the evenings, and I can use a mic (because nobody"s around to be annoyed) on weekday afternoons. I have no problem with interacting with DDO 1 or 2 hours a day, more on weekends.

(Implied: what is your opinion on the voting system?)

-I was one of the few people to criticize the new voting system in the update thread. I"m fine with the ELO floor, but I don"t think that the ceiling makes much sense. My criticisms were with Judge voting and the voting leaderboard. I think Judge voting will cause unsuspecting debaters to accept a debate that has been rigged in the instigator"s favor; the only real use for judge voting is for tournaments or rare things like "should YYW marry bsh1 or thett", but you can simply list the judges in the debate; nobody disrupted the YYW marriage debate. And voting leaderboard based on how many times you voted for the correct person has obvious problems. Each vote should be treated with as much care as each debate. Judge voting should either be removed, or be reformed so that the instigator gets to choose 5 judges, and the contender chooses 5 other judges. And everything needs to be made crystal clear when accepting the debate.

Bluesteel: what do you think about moderation transparency?

-Moderation is a private issue between the moderator and the offender. Over the internet, we have to trust the judgment of the moderators. I"m not going to push airmax or Ore_ele to disclose how they moderate any situation, because that is confidential. What I am going to do is push for a more codified moderating system, so everyone will know why someone deserves to be banned just by looking at their action.

Mikal: (broader question: what do you think about moderation fairness?)

-I don"t know because I"m not a moderator, and I can"t see things that have been deleted. However, I have caught some thread before they were deleted, and I"m not going to name names, but if that member was any other member, the thread wouldn"t have just been deleted and the offender receive a nice PM " he would have been banned.

Mikal: what is your opinion on the balance of site quality and site views?

-We want site quality, Juggle wants site views. As president, my priority will of course be to improve site quality. Sometimes we can do both at the same time, like having tournaments.

Pots: Can you give details on programs such as the adopt-a-noob program and others?

-Lannan had asked me a similar question in my campaign thread. To summarize: the goal is to make it structures more similarly to the "Mafia University" idea than the Mafia "adopt a noob" program. I think that the reason "adopt a noob" has not taken off as we'll is because it is too isolated, for both the trainee and the trainer. So more realistically, I imagine a "village adopts many noobs" system; we could have, say, 6~10 new members, and 2~4 experienced members, all sharing a PM or even a thread. The goal would to guide them through 3 debates (they can be short), much like mafia noobs are guided through 3 games, and the noobs would never have to worry about abandonment because theoretically, the mentors will always be there. In actives could be dealt the same way -- replacement. The only real difference would be that we can be proactive about finding new and promising users.

Mikal: what would you do to educate newer members and prevent flame wars?

-Firstly, I think the debate university will help many new members. Airmax had also said that he wanted to reorganize the sticky thread. I think that would help too. Also very importantly, the new member PM should include important things like conduct policy and DDO orientation and such.

Mikal: do you plan to organize more tournaments?

-Yes. What Mikal is doing right now is excellent, and I want things like this to be regular.

That"s it - Thanks.

Final statements: If you have any other questions, ask me in this thread and I"ll answer them.
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 9:08:08 PM
Answering orangemayhem's questions here: http://www.debate.org...

To what extent do you think the role of the president 'works' in its current form? Do you think the presidency has been weakened since we ceased to have a president who also acted as a moderator? Are there any major reforms to the structure of the presidency which you would like to see introduced?

Not many forums have the position of "president". Most of the times it's just the moderators. The fact that we have a president at all is beyond "works." So that kind of answers the second question. The president is weak, so the position hasn't been weakened, just that the president and mods are now separate. There are no things I want to introduce to the presidency. I believe that actual powers are too important to trust to the voting masses. The title alone is powerful enough.
0x5f3759df
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 9:12:32 PM
At 6/7/2014 9:09:50 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Seems you suffer from a lack of attention to your campaign.

I'm trying to determine whether you're genuinely asking or being mean...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 11:00:02 PM
At 6/9/2014 10:56:32 PM, Bullish wrote:
Subutai is now my running mate.

These don't seem to be receiving much attention. Are you expecting to have a lot of votes in your favor this election?
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 11:18:13 PM
At 6/9/2014 11:00:02 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

These don't seem to be receiving much attention. Are you expecting to have a lot of votes in your favor this election?

Jifpop pls
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 11:20:49 PM

I like him, he's chill.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 12:09:45 AM
Actually, 2 people did VB the YYW Marriage debate, but fortunately those VB's got deleted.

Why isn't the new policy a "codified moderation system," which is something you push for?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 12:21:05 AM
It amazes me how some people types to entice a flame war and then might probably blame it after on the other person... Smh
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 5:45:14 AM
At 6/10/2014 12:21:05 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
It amazes me how some people types to entice a flame war and then might probably blame it after on the other person... Smh

Esocial my love, didn't we come to a mature agreement to take some time a part? Don't forget our humble vows.

(Translation: Our agreement to ignore each other should still apply)

(Bug Report: This came in my notifications that she quoted me, but there is no quote above her comment!)
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 7:35:24 AM
I am aware that I agreed to leave another member alone. That is why in my previous statement I did not direct it at anyone in particular.

However, while the agreement applies, I would like to say that people on the site don't necessarily have to act like jerks. (Not calling anyone a jerk here... yet.)

If you notice someone may not get a lot of votes, you don't call them out on it. That ia an attempt to provoke the person or insult them.

I don't want to instigate anything with anyone at the moment, but I certainly hope someone in particular feels the same way.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 12:07:02 PM
At 6/10/2014 12:06:15 PM, Bullish wrote:
thsfjgfh

Sorry... Meant to just change sig and accidentally clicked "add post."
0x5f3759df