Jump to topic:

Looking for challenges

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 7:28:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am looking to complete several debates before the 4th of July.

If anyone has any topics they really want to do, post them below and we can try and work something out. I'm generally not picky about which side of an issue I debate on as long as I think there is ground to defend.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 7:34:00 PM
At 6/8/2014 7:28:53 PM, Raisor wrote:

Why the fourth of July?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 7:35:08 PM
At 6/8/2014 7:30:37 PM, Wylted wrote:
I'd like to do something that is con multiculturalism.

I don't really understand what that means, could you give some sample Resolutions?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 7:42:14 PM
At 6/8/2014 7:35:08 PM, Raisor wrote:

I don't really understand what that means, could you give some sample Resolutions?

I want to be very flexible with the resolution. Here is an example of me arguing some of the negative affects of multiculturalism before.

http://www.debate.org...

So maybe the resolution could be something like:

On balance multiculturalism is bad, or it could be something radically different where I take a stance that is still anti multiculturalism.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 7:53:39 PM
At 6/8/2014 7:42:14 PM, Wylted wrote:

I want to be very flexible with the resolution. Here is an example of me arguing some of the negative affects of multiculturalism before.

On balance multiculturalism is bad, or it could be something radically different where I take a stance that is still anti multiculturalism.

Yeah that sounds interesting. But it is hard to think of a good resolution...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:04:04 PM

The problem I am having is understanding what your position actually implies.

I mean what does "multiculturalism is bad" mean? That it would be better if there weren't multicultural communities? That we should resist the development of such communities?

I feel like it would be helpful if you could put forward something normative or policy related. I'm wary of interpreting your position for you...
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:06:01 PM

If anyone has any topics they really want to do, post them below and we can try and work something out. I'm generally not picky about which side of an issue I debate on as long as I think there is ground to defend.

Would you be willing to debate me? Not sure if you'll find me a challenge, but we can give it a try. I've strangely been intrested in labor and authoritarian movements, so I would like to test my knowledge there.

PS: Not an Authoritarian
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:10:01 PM

penis- pro
#FeeltheFreezerBern
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:12:10 PM
At 6/8/2014 8:10:01 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

penis- pro

lol
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:12:35 PM

penis- pro

Resolved: Penis

I will take Con on that.
KingDebater369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:15:54 PM
At 6/8/2014 8:12:35 PM, Raisor wrote:

penis- pro

I will take Con on that.

Raisor, I have an interesting one. It was a past LD resolution, and I think it would be fun (though I'm no where near as good as you are): Individuals have a moral obligation to assist people in need.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:17:12 PM
At 6/8/2014 8:04:04 PM, Raisor wrote:

I mean what does "multiculturalism is bad" mean? That it would be better if there weren't multicultural communities? That we should resist the development of such communities?

I feel like it would be helpful if you could put forward something normative or policy related. I'm wary of interpreting your position for you...

I think it would just mean the world would be better without multicultural communities.

I guess it would be a debate mostly over the word better.

I don't like strictly defining anything before the debate. If I used the following resolution it would be a truism and not even something that could be debatable/

Resolution- Single race communities are safer, and have more participation in civil activities than multicultural communities.

The previous resolution is preferable to my opponents, but it's unwinnable for them, so I generally try to avoid it.
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:18:20 PM

penis- pro

I will take Con on that.

+1
I may or may not be a cat
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:29:57 PM
At 6/8/2014 8:17:12 PM, Wylted wrote:

I think it would just mean the world would be better without multicultural communities.

I don't like strictly defining anything before the debate. If I used the following resolution it would be a truism and not even something that could be debatable/

Resolution- Single race communities are safer, and have more participation in civil activities than multicultural communities.

The previous resolution is preferable to my opponents, but it's unwinnable for them, so I generally try to avoid it.

How about:

Resolved: Individuals should seek out racially homogeneous communities when looking for housing.

Or some cleaned up version of that.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:30:58 PM
At 6/8/2014 8:29:57 PM, Raisor wrote:

How about:

Resolved: Individuals should seek out racially homogeneous communities when looking for housing.

Seems like that kind of debate would rely on semantics
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:32:37 PM

penis- pro

I will take Con on that.

I think that there might be a few people on here who would be willing to go pro...
Tsar of DDO
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:42:04 PM
At 6/8/2014 8:32:37 PM, YYW wrote:

penis- pro

I will take Con on that.

I think that there might be a few people on here who would be willing to go pro...

Could you provide some expert testimony on this for me?
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:43:51 PM

How about:

It would have to be a cleaned up version of that.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:44:31 PM
At 6/8/2014 8:42:04 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 6/8/2014 8:32:37 PM, YYW wrote:

penis- pro

I will take Con on that.

Could you provide some expert testimony on this for me?

Gladly. lol
Tsar of DDO
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:46:28 PM
At 6/8/2014 8:43:51 PM, Wylted wrote:

How about:

That's fine, I'll send you a PM in the next few days and we can work it out. Hopefully we can start something by the end of the week?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 8:56:24 PM
At 6/8/2014 8:46:28 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 6/8/2014 8:43:51 PM, Wylted wrote:

How about:

That's fine, I'll send you a PM in the next few days and we can work it out. Hopefully we can start something by the end of the week?

That sounds good. I will take my time getting that started. I'm currently debating flat earth theory with Romanii. It's not an easy thing to prove.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 9:20:17 PM

Go on, suggest a resolution involving feminism, and we'll settle this so I don't have you making snide comments to me in the comments section.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 9:22:42 PM
I'd be up for a policy debate of some sort. Don't really have a particular resolution in mind, but if there's anything that interests you, let me know.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 6:16:48 PM
At 6/8/2014 9:22:42 PM, whiteflame wrote:
I'd be up for a policy debate of some sort. Don't really have a particular resolution in mind, but if there's anything that interests you, let me know.

What side would you take regarding replacing welfare programs in the US with a negative income tax?
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 6:19:12 PM
At 6/10/2014 6:16:48 PM, Raisor wrote:

What side would you take regarding replacing welfare programs in the US with a negative income tax?

I don't know much about that issue, but I'll do some research and get back to you.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 6:24:13 PM

We already have a negative income tax. Its not much different, except you got to fill liability pockets and such.

EIC's are just that, earned
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 6:24:30 PM
At 6/10/2014 6:19:12 PM, whiteflame wrote:

I don't know much about that issue, but I'll do some research and get back to you.

I got this one
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 6:35:08 PM
At 6/10/2014 6:19:12 PM, whiteflame wrote:

All I know is from looking into a debate that never panned out. It seemed interesting so I made a note to come back to it. I can do other side.