Total Posts:254|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do you Have To Be Qualified Win Debates?

Maryland_Kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 2:58:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've noticed something.

As long as your "qualified" and it's part of the mainstream thought in a field that you're debating, you tend to win debates. Does that mean that you can't win otherwise?
The defender of Christianity, Calvinism, Creationism, and Conservative politics.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:01:16 PM
At 6/9/2014 2:58:12 PM, Maryland_Kid wrote:
I've noticed something.

As long as your "qualified" and it's part of the mainstream thought in a field that you're debating, you tend to win debates. Does that mean that you can't win otherwise?

It's human nature, and as the majority of debaters on this Site are Liberals, that's not too good a thing for Conservatives.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:05:28 PM
I've noticed something.

No it doesn't. Just do your best and actually put effort into your debates, you'll be fine. I'm debating the Earth is Flat right now and I wouldn't do that if this bias couldn't be overcome.

The bias only really factors in on extremely close debates. Completely crush your opponent and you'll do good.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:07:42 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:01:16 PM, Crescendo wrote:
I've noticed something.

It's human nature, and as the majority of debaters on this Site are Liberals, that's not too good a thing for Conservatives.

It's just that retarded conservatives have better access to the internet than retarded liberals. If the retarded conservatives had just as much trouble with gaining access to the internet, you wouldn't even notice this bias.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:13:40 PM
I've noticed something.

I don't think the majority are liberals....
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:14:09 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:10:19 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
confirmation bias

Don't go all GWL on us...Really, confirmation bias is overhyped. Not to say that is doesn't play a role, but the quality voters on DDO understand that, when crafting an RFD, you have to divorce your personal beliefs from you evaluation of the round. I think most such voters are able to do this effectively.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:27:07 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:07:42 PM, Wylted wrote:
I've noticed something.

It's just that retarded conservatives have better access to the internet than retarded liberals. If the retarded conservatives had just as much trouble with gaining access to the internet, you wouldn't even notice this bias.

How do retarded conservatives have better internet than retarded liberals?
I'm a retarded Conservative, and my internet's pretty bad. You probably have better internet than I do.
My View of the World:

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:28:19 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:13:40 PM, thett3 wrote:
I've noticed something.

Probably 40% of everyone on this Site is LGBT. There are probably some pedophiles here too.
My View of the World:

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:30:02 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:28:19 PM, Crescendo wrote:
I've noticed something.

Probably 40% of everyone on this Site is LGBT. There are probably some pedophiles here too.

There is a significant gay population but that has nothing to do with liberalism outside of gay rights. It's also nowhere near 40%
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:31:40 PM
I've noticed something.

I believe Ore_Ele has some statistics which might stand counter to that claim.
Tsar of DDO
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:41:13 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:30:02 PM, thett3 wrote:
I've noticed something.

There is a significant gay population but that has nothing to do with liberalism outside of gay rights. It's also nowhere near 40%

Juan Pablo, Romanii, Esocialbookworm, Oromagi, YYW, Bsh1, AngelofDeath, quite possibly you, possibly Ore Ele, possibly Bluesteel, possibly SeventhProfessor, EndarkenedRationalist, XLAV, etc. Probably 40% of all members who contribute to this Site regularly.
And yes, homosexuals are usually liberal.
My View of the World:

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:41:44 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:31:40 PM, YYW wrote:
I've noticed something.

I believe Ore_Ele has some statistics which might stand counter to that claim.
Please show these statistics to me.
My View of the World:

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:42:54 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:41:13 PM, Crescendo wrote:
I've noticed something.

Juan Pablo, Romanii, Esocialbookworm, Oromagi, YYW, Bsh1, AngelofDeath, quite possibly you, possibly Ore Ele, possibly Bluesteel, possibly SeventhProfessor, EndarkenedRationalist, XLAV, etc. Probably 40% of all members who contribute to this Site regularly.

Just be a log cabin Republican.
Doesn't matter to me. I don't identify with the Democratic Party.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:44:15 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:42:54 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I've noticed something.

Liberals are not always Democrats. And no, I did not mean to offend you.
My View of the World:

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:45:04 PM
I've noticed something.

Liberals are homosexuals? I'm definitely not either and neither are several of those people
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:45:28 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:27:07 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 6/9/2014 3:07:42 PM, Wylted wrote:
I've noticed something.

How do retarded conservatives have better internet than retarded liberals?
I'm a retarded Conservative, and my internet's pretty bad. You probably have better internet than I do.

I figure the retarded liberals are mostly on welfare and can't afford internet. The retarded conservatives are atleast hard working god fearing people with access to internet.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:45:41 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:45:04 PM, thett3 wrote:
I've noticed something.

Liberals *or* homosexuals? I'm definitely not either and neither are several of those people

Fixed
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:46:13 PM
I've noticed something.

I would disagree. I see a lot of debaters win debates although their opinions are against the mainstream. There are a lot of really good voters on this site that don't let their personal opinion get in the way.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:47:57 PM
I've noticed something.

Liberals are homosexuals? I'm definitely not either and neither are several of those people

I know you're not a Liberal. I didn't say that all gays are Liberal. Just most.

I did a quick check and XLAV probably isn't gay. I likely was wrong about that. But I know that the first couple people are, according to their own admission.
My View of the World:

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:48:03 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:44:15 PM, Crescendo wrote:
I've noticed something.

So what is a liberal to you?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:48:58 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:45:41 PM, thett3 wrote:
I've noticed something.

Liberals *or* homosexuals? I'm definitely not either and neither are several of those people

Fixed

Oh please. You make MSNBC look like the Tea Party.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:49:08 PM

Oh yeah. Didn't you know? lol
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:50:21 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:47:57 PM, Crescendo wrote:
I've noticed something.

I did a quick check and XLAV probably isn't gay. I likely was wrong about that. But I know that the first couple people are, according to their own admission.

Lol wtf? I'm not gay. OreEle is married to a woman. Bluesteel is definitely not gay. There's no evidence seventh is gay. Xlav isn't gay. Angelofdeath was trolling when she said she was a gay man. Romani is not gay either...That's about half your list.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:51:36 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:48:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 6/9/2014 3:44:15 PM, Crescendo wrote:
I've noticed something.

So what is a liberal to you?

To me, Liberals:

1. Support Government programs to provide welfare for the poor.
2. Support gay marriage.
3. Are Pro-Choice.
4. Are in favor of increased gun regulation.
5. Are against war.
6. Are for an increase in the minimum wage.
7. Support affirmative action.
The list goes on.
My View of the World:

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:53:45 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:50:21 PM, thett3 wrote:
I've noticed something.

Lol wtf? I'm not gay. OreEle is married to a woman. Bluesteel is definitely not gay. There's no evidence seventh is gay. Xlav isn't gay. Angelofdeath was trolling when she said she was a gay man. Romani is not gay either...That's about half your list.

Tomanii once stated ON HIS PROFILE INFORMATION that he is bisexual. And I suspected many of those other people because they're dudes whose profiles say they're girls, which might make them transgender.
My View of the World:

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:53:50 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:14:09 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/9/2014 3:10:19 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
confirmation bias

Don't go all GWL on us...Really, confirmation bias is overhyped. Not to say that is doesn't play a role, but the quality voters on DDO understand that, when crafting an RFD, you have to divorce your personal beliefs from you evaluation of the round. I think most such voters are able to do this effectively.

Lol, the point of my post was to be a joke throwing it back to GWL's explosive forum
Nolite Timere
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:54:48 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:53:45 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 6/9/2014 3:50:21 PM, thett3 wrote:
I've noticed something.

Romanii once stated ON HIS PROFILE INFORMATION that he is bisexual. And I suspected many of those other people because they're dudes whose profiles say they're girls, which might make them transgender.

Fixed. Stupid auto correct.
My View of the World:

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:55:02 PM
I've noticed something.

I think you're placing people into boxes and overgeneralizing, which is usually always wrong. I don't think it's fair to say that "homosexuals are usually liberals" in much the same way that it isn't fair to say that "rich people are usually conservatives." Generalizations like that are wrong almost no matter how you frame it, and Endark made a good point about log cabin Repubs. Granted, the leader of GoProud quit, but that's beside the point.

You could say that gay people are more likely to agree with Democrats on issues of gay rights. That's prima facie, isn't it? If someone supports who you are and wants to push for your equality, you're more likely to support that person than someone who wants to inject their narrow morality into law and legislate against you based on their selective interpretation of their magic book.

Now, if you want to impose a bloody litmus or a witch hunt and say "if you support gay marriage, you aren't conservative," then do it, but that still doesn't bear out your thesis. Ironically, given the current state of the GOP, I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled a libertarian and said "You're not conservative by my standards," etc. and so forth.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 3:55:53 PM
At 6/9/2014 3:51:36 PM, Crescendo wrote:
To me, Liberals:

1. Support Government programs to provide welfare for the poor.

Yup.

2. Support gay marriage.

Yup.

3. Are Pro-Choice.

Yup.

4. Are in favor of increased gun regulation.

Yup.

5. Are against war.

Not always...

6. Are for an increase in the minimum wage.

Yup.

7. Support affirmative action.

Yup, but not race-based affirmative action. Only class based.

The list goes on.

Sure.
Tsar of DDO