Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Sources

ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 10:31:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm just wondering, why do people seem to vote for who has the most "sources"? Should they even matter? I realize the importance of backing up your information, but it seems like the source point has become a simple....

"Who had the most"
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 10:33:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The reliability of your arguments matter a great deal, even if your arguments are good. There are bad voters all around.
0x5f3759df
thett3
Posts: 14,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 10:33:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
That's because the 7 point voting system is irredeemably stupid. Just use the up/down voting option.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 10:34:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/9/2014 10:33:28 PM, thett3 wrote:
That's because the 7 point voting system is irredeemably stupid. Just use the up/down voting option.

My only problem with the select winner method, is that people have a lot of room to weasel votes for who they want to win. I do think its superior though, but not perfect.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
thett3
Posts: 14,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 10:36:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/9/2014 10:34:56 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/9/2014 10:33:28 PM, thett3 wrote:
That's because the 7 point voting system is irredeemably stupid. Just use the up/down voting option.

My only problem with the select winner method, is that people have a lot of room to weasel votes for who they want to win.

What do you mean? There are still bad votes in the new system but voters aren't handed tools to increase their voting power by BSing as many categories as possible.

I do think its superior though, but not perfect.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 10:37:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/9/2014 10:36:07 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 6/9/2014 10:34:56 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/9/2014 10:33:28 PM, thett3 wrote:
That's because the 7 point voting system is irredeemably stupid. Just use the up/down voting option.

My only problem with the select winner method, is that people have a lot of room to weasel votes for who they want to win.

What do you mean? There are still bad votes in the new system but voters aren't handed tools to increase their voting power by BSing as many categories as possible.

I do think its superior though, but not perfect.

Agreed, but there is still a lack of voter accountability in every system. I see certain people who cast terrible votes, and continue doing so. There should be a character cap option for votes.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
thett3
Posts: 14,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 10:38:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/9/2014 10:37:33 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/9/2014 10:36:07 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 6/9/2014 10:34:56 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/9/2014 10:33:28 PM, thett3 wrote:
That's because the 7 point voting system is irredeemably stupid. Just use the up/down voting option.

My only problem with the select winner method, is that people have a lot of room to weasel votes for who they want to win.

What do you mean? There are still bad votes in the new system but voters aren't handed tools to increase their voting power by BSing as many categories as possible.

I do think its superior though, but not perfect.

Agreed, but there is still a lack of voter accountability in every system. I see certain people who cast terrible votes, and continue doing so. There should be a character cap option for votes.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I'd rather have that than an ELO restriction which I definitely have a problem with...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 10:50:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/9/2014 10:33:05 PM, Bullish wrote:
The reliability of your arguments matter a great deal, even if your arguments are good. There are bad voters all around.

What does that have to do with sourcing?
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 2:57:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/9/2014 10:31:36 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
I'm just wondering, why do people seem to vote for who has the most "sources"? Should they even matter? I realize the importance of backing up your information, but it seems like the source point has become a simple....

"Who had the most"

I blame their education. From the How To Vote article: "Did it support the correct argument or was it just a link tossed in to try and fool the unsuspecting?"
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 5:41:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/10/2014 2:57:40 AM, Ragnar wrote:
At 6/9/2014 10:31:36 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
I'm just wondering, why do people seem to vote for who has the most "sources"? Should they even matter? I realize the importance of backing up your information, but it seems like the source point has become a simple....

"Who had the most"

I blame their education. From the How To Vote article: "Did it support the correct argument or was it just a link tossed in to try and fool the unsuspecting?"

...
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8