Jump to topic:

Debates should be 24000 characters

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 2:17:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think it would be in this sites best intrest to make debates 24,000 characters. This is the limit for the updated version of Vbulletin 4.0. Its hard to have a proper debate, with a 10,000 character limit.

Before you tell me...

"You can't do that!!! No one wants to read it"

consider this. We post dozens of sources, and they are usually strong supporters of your argument. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to post the entire article and quotate it, as a visual aid? Otherwise, no one will read your sources.

On the Vbulletin sites I'm on, people end up maxing the character limit often. There should at least be a no character limit option, for the debaters, and not the voters.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 2:21:23 PM
I support increasing the character limit, but the problem is, it would crash the servers. And 24,000 just sounds silly.

I think the alternative is to have google docs debates. It's not against the rules, so far as I know, and you can post as much as you want. The debaters could decide on a character limit beforehand.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 2:23:19 PM
At 6/10/2014 2:21:23 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
I support increasing the character limit, but the problem is, it would crash the servers. And 24,000 just sounds silly.

I think the alternative is to have google docs debates. It's not against the rules, so far as I know, and you can post as much as you want. The debaters could decide on a character limit beforehand.

Are you kidding? I'm pissed at the average 24,000 character limit. One time I went full 56,000 characters , and imagine how pissed I was when it went over.

I like to quotate articles and reports in my posts. You can't do that with 10,000.

BTW, I know sites that have unlimited characters. 24,000 will hardly crash the servers.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 2:26:38 PM
At 6/10/2014 2:23:19 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Are you kidding? I'm pissed at the average 24,000 character limit. One time I went full 56,000 characters , and imagine how pissed I was when it went over.

I like to quotate articles and reports in my posts. You can't do that with 10,000.

BTW, I know sites that have unlimited characters. 24,000 will hardly crash the servers.

I'm not too familiar with the server issues, but I'm inclined to trust Max and Tuf on this one, and if I'm not mistaken, both of them have said that it would crash the servers.

I know edeb8 has unlimited characters, but the site isn't as active as DDO, so I don't think they would experience any of the negative impacts.

I wouldn't quote articles..I'd quote lines and figures that back up my case. Quoting articles isn't exactly "debating," is it?

And no, I'm not kidding.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 2:28:35 PM
At 6/10/2014 2:26:38 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

I'm not too familiar with the server issues, but I'm inclined to trust Max and Tuf on this one, and if I'm not mistaken, both of them have said that it would crash the servers.

I know edeb8 has unlimited characters, but the site isn't as active as DDO, so I don't think they would experience any of the negative impacts.

I wouldn't quote articles..I'd quote lines and figures that back up my case. Quoting articles isn't exactly "debating," is it?

And no, I'm not kidding.

You can quote articles and debate. As I said, you put the information in front of the audience, and then support their reasoning and logic. That's what debating always has been. People do it in professional debates.

This site forces you to click on a link though, which is annoying. I'm sure some gizmo could be created to display the web page or something.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 2:33:31 PM
At 6/10/2014 2:28:35 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/10/2014 2:26:38 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

And no, I'm not kidding.

You can quote articles and debate. As I said, you put the information in front of the audience, and then support their reasoning and logic. That's what debating always has been. People do it in professional debates.

This site forces you to click on a link though, which is annoying. I'm sure some gizmo could be created to display the web page or something.

If you could find a way to do it, I'm all for it.

Something you could do is type something out in a word document and post an image. I did that once with my giant list of sources. It takes up between zero and very few characters.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 7:59:19 PM
At 6/10/2014 2:17:55 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
I think it would be in this sites best intrest to make debates 24,000 characters. This is the limit for the updated version of Vbulletin 4.0. Its hard to have a proper debate, with a 10,000 character limit.

Before you tell me...

consider this. We post dozens of sources, and they are usually strong supporters of your argument. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to post the entire article and quotate it, as a visual aid? Otherwise, no one will read your sources.

On the Vbulletin sites I'm on, people end up maxing the character limit often. There should at least be a no character limit option, for the debaters, and not the voters.

Long live the revolution!
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
KingDebater369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 9:11:09 PM

Personally - I would love that idea. Generally speaking, I tend to run out of characters often, and it annoys me so much! I guess I'll do a couple if google docs debates in the future
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:13:33 PM
IDK...there is something to be said for the idea that part of effective communication is to learn how to say what you need to say concisely. Plus, the character limits prevent spreading--posting many arguments because you know you opponent will be unable to respond to all of them. Rather, it promotes making good, well-structured, carefully written arguments in a debate.

I would like to see it raised slightly, because I certainly have trouble with brevity (I usually max out my rounds with 10,000 words and 5 rounds of debate). But, the word limit has taught me how to decide what arguments I should include, and how to get to the pith of the assertion, rather than including extraneous bits and bobs.

If it were raised, 15,000 is about as far as it should go, IMHO.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:14:33 PM

Before you tell me...

Hell. No.
Tsar of DDO
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:16:39 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:13:33 PM, bsh1 wrote:
IDK...there is something to be said for the idea that part of effective communication is to learn how to say what you need to say concisely. Plus, the character limits prevent spreading--posting many arguments because you know you opponent will be unable to respond to all of them. Rather, it promotes making good, well-structured, carefully written arguments in a debate.

I would like to see it raised slightly, because I certainly have trouble with brevity (I usually max out my rounds with 10,000 words and 5 rounds of debate). But, the word limit has taught me how to decide what arguments I should include, and how to get to the pith of the assertion, rather than including extraneous bits and bobs.

I want at least 14,000 for practical purposes. 24,000 would be nice for several reasons though....

- You could paste someones argument when refuting it

- You could post and quotate articles instead of linking them

- You could include lots of additional aids to your arguments (Which usually max out from the extra in depth reports I prefer)
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:21:51 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:14:33 PM, YYW wrote:

Before you tell me...

Hell. No.

This

Didn't they make the limit 10,000? When I joined it was 8000. After a certain point, no one wants to read a novel.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:24:22 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:21:51 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Before you tell me...

Hell. No.

This

Didn't they make the limit 10,000? When I joined it was 8000. After a certain point, no one wants to read a novel.

Idk, a novel wouldn't be bad... but a 24k character debate... that I would never judge. My thinking is this: brevity is a virtue. Why say something in 10k characters that could be said in 5k?
Tsar of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:24:25 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:16:39 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

I want at least 14,000 for practical purposes. 24,000 would be nice for several reasons though....

Refuting with quotes is kinda annoying anyway. Just do what people do now, rebuttal, quote small sections or summarize main ideas. If the opponent doesn't copy your argument you are at a disadvantage.

You can already quote sections of articles. In scientific papers they don't copy and paste other studies, mash it together, and call it their own... The cite it, like we do. Whats wrong with linking it? Its not so hard to click on a link.

- You could include lots of additional aids to your arguments (Which usually max out from the extra in depth reports I prefer)

So fluff that no one reads.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:25:38 PM

Summary is usually sufficient.

You should quote or paraphrase. Just linking an argument could be impermissible, if used to circumvent character limits.

Select the best aids. Quality vs. Quantity.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:26:20 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:24:22 PM, YYW wrote:

Before you tell me...

Hell. No.

This

Idk, a novel wouldn't be bad... but a 24k character debate... that I would never judge. My thinking is this: brevity is a virtue. Why say something in 10k characters that could be said in 5k?

I hate reading on a computer screen, thats why I vote less now so I don't have to read as much online. But it makes it harder for me to do my famous source spam D:

Yeah to be honest other than a few debaters who write well, like you, I wouldn't wanna read 24,000 characters of their writing.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:27:52 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:26:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Before you tell me...

Hell. No.

This

I hate reading on a computer screen, thats why I vote less now so I don't have to read as much online. But it makes it harder for me to do my famous source spam D:

Yeah to be honest other than a few debaters who write well, like you, I wouldn't wanna read 24,000 characters of their writing.

lol, thanks...

But I wouldn't want to write a 24k character long debate. It's just not necessary.
Tsar of DDO
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:29:01 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:25:38 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Summary is usually sufficient.

I agree, but sometimes I want to directly point to what my opponent says. Mostly when he states a fallacy or circular reasoning. It helps your case when its right in front of the audience.\

You should quote or paraphrase. Just linking an argument could be impermissible, if used to circumvent character limits.

In well detailed reports, like the 20 page kind, are packed with other people's graphs and arguments. I want my arguments, the ones I care a lot for, to look like professional reports

Select the best aids. Quality vs. Quantity.

It is easier given the option to use images. I see myself using it often.

How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:29:05 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:27:52 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/10/2014 10:26:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Before you tell me...

Hell. No.

This

lol, thanks...

But I wouldn't want to write a 24k character long debate. It's just not necessary.

Yeah I am not proofreading that. Not that I proofread anyway, but I am not doing that. I probably wouldn't read my opponents arguments at that length lol.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:31:23 PM
Debates look a lot longer than they really are, due to the format of the site, and average text size.

Even a total 100,000 character debate (5 rounds, 10,000 characters), is really more like 10 pages of reading. I only do three or four round debates.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:31:33 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:29:01 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Try looking at some of the top 15 (ELO) debaters and how they structure their cases. It'll give you a good sense of what yours should look like--physically and logically.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:33:54 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:31:23 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Debates look a lot longer than they really are, due to the format of the site, and average text size.

Even a total 100,000 character debate (5 rounds, 10,000 characters), is really more like 10 pages of reading. I only do three or four round debates.

Pretty sure 2,700-3000 characters per page in Word, so its more like 33-37 pages.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:34:36 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:31:33 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Try looking at some of the top 15 (ELO) debaters and how they structure their cases. It'll give you a good sense of what yours should look like--physically and logically.

Oh, I know. I try to keep my arguments precise. My main contention is my aptitude to post articles with my arguments. On Vbulletin debate sites, most people end up posting an excessive amount of articles.

It looks appealing and makes their case look exceptionally strong. Then again, Vbulletin lets you compact characters. When you get in intense policy debates, you often cite documents that can be as long as 30,000 characters. Most people are smart enough to lower that to a small font, but that's not even possible here.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:35:26 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:33:54 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Pretty sure 2,700-3000 characters per page in Word, so its more like 33-37 pages.

Well, I can read and understand one of those debates in about 15 minutes. 5 rounds max characters.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:36:41 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:35:26 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Well, I can read and understand one of those debates in about 15 minutes. 5 rounds max characters.

I suppose you may be right, length wise, accounting for the first round being acceptance and sources taking significant space.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:37:34 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:34:36 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Oh, I know. I try to keep my arguments precise. My main contention is my aptitude to post articles with my arguments. On Vbulletin debate sites, most people end up posting an excessive amount of articles.

That's not a good habit to get into. I do some over-quoting myself, but I'm trying to stop.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:38:13 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:36:41 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I suppose you may be right, length wise, accounting for the first round being acceptance and sources taking significant space.

Right. Most of the time, people don't even need 5 rounds, 10,000 characters. It usually ends up being rhetoric and repetition. Maybe they should have a high first round, and it lowers each consecutive round, like actual debates.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:39:41 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:38:13 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/10/2014 10:36:41 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Right. Most of the time, people don't even need 5 rounds, 10,000 characters. It usually ends up being rhetoric and repetition. Maybe they should have a high first round, and it lowers each consecutive round, like actual debates.

The decrease should be a manual setting, you know, since most of the time arguments start in the second round.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:40:08 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:37:34 PM, bsh1 wrote:

That's not a good habit to get into. I do some over-quoting myself, but I'm trying to stop.

Its not a big deal when you have a quotation method. DDO doesn't. Almost all forum services have something like this....

[quote]How are you Bsh1?[/quote]

and you just post under it. It doesn't look that bad when you do that. DDO has no such feature though. I wish their was a uoting button like Edeb8
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:43:07 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:40:08 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/10/2014 10:37:34 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Its not a big deal when you have a quotation method. DDO doesn't. Almost all forum services have something like this....

[quote]How are you Bsh1?[/quote]

and you just post under it. It doesn't look that bad when you do that. DDO has no such feature though. I wish their was a uoting button like Edeb8

You've been on Edeb8?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics