On the Fanfiction Drama

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 1:37:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The competition was a great idea.

I, for one, was incredibly excited to compete in DDO's first, and hopefully not final, fanfiction competition. Despite the fallout, I have every intention of continuing Once Upon a DDO for a very long time, and I hope other authors will continue or even begin their own works.

To those who are saying, "it's a stupid contest," no. No, it isn't. Many of us employed significant amounts of work into our writings. As an author, maybe I feel a deeper connection to the craft then others, but when you write something, it's like your baby. You love that creation (though distance often rectifies this if needed). And it means a lot when you see it praised or ignored.

I was proud to participate, and I had a great deal of fun. Even the suspenseful release of announcements had me refreshing the page every few minutes. As though it were a real contest. And it was.

Everyone who entered, regardless of the accolades they did or didn't receive, should be incredibly proud of the work and effort they put therein. Because in the end, writing's not about yourself. When John Green spoke at my college, there's one thing he said that I'll never forget. "Writing is a gift you share with others." I write for your enjoyment. I admit, it makes me happy every time that little blue 1 appears in the top-right corner announcing someone's commented on the latest section of Once Upon a DDO. But I write it because I want to share my talents with you. I want to give you this gift.

There were 3 reputable, credible judges presiding over the contest. I do not believe it was rigged. I believe it was fair, just, and fun. That's what's important. Not winning or losing. Having fun and learning are infinitely more valuable.

I want to extend a heartfelt thanks to bsh1 for organising this contest. He worked hard to try and provide something nice for the DDO community, and I know he's too good a person to let the reactions of a few disgruntled members put him off.

Bsh1, thank you. For everything.

Love,
Endark

PS

I'm winning the next one though. :-p
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 1:46:15 AM
Wow...that was heartfelt and inspiring. Thank you for your vote of confidence; it means a lot to me.

And, I LOVE your post script ;)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 2:00:01 AM
I wish I was as eloquent with words as you, Endark... you expressed my opinion on this better than I ever could have :P
Thank you, Bsh1 ! :D
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 2:01:03 AM
At 6/13/2014 2:00:01 AM, Romanii wrote:
I wish I was as eloquent with words as you, Endark... you expressed my opinion on this better than I ever could have :P
Thank you, Bsh1 ! :D

Thanks, Romanii :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 2:02:32 AM
At 6/13/2014 1:37:46 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
The competition was a great idea.

I, for one, was incredibly excited to compete in DDO's first, and hopefully not final, fanfiction competition. Despite the fallout, I have every intention of continuing Once Upon a DDO for a very long time, and I hope other authors will continue or even begin their own works.

To those who are saying, "it's a stupid contest," no. No, it isn't. Many of us employed significant amounts of work into our writings. As an author, maybe I feel a deeper connection to the craft then others, but when you write something, it's like your baby. You love that creation (though distance often rectifies this if needed). And it means a lot when you see it praised or ignored.

I was proud to participate, and I had a great deal of fun. Even the suspenseful release of announcements had me refreshing the page every few minutes. As though it were a real contest. And it was.

Everyone who entered, regardless of the accolades they did or didn't receive, should be incredibly proud of the work and effort they put therein. Because in the end, writing's not about yourself. When John Green spoke at my college, there's one thing he said that I'll never forget. "Writing is a gift you share with others." I write for your enjoyment. I admit, it makes me happy every time that little blue 1 appears in the top-right corner announcing someone's commented on the latest section of Once Upon a DDO. But I write it because I want to share my talents with you. I want to give you this gift.

There were 3 reputable, credible judges presiding over the contest. I do not believe it was rigged. I believe it was fair, just, and fun. That's what's important. Not winning or losing. Having fun and learning are infinitely more valuable.

I want to extend a heartfelt thanks to bsh1 for organising this contest. He worked hard to try and provide something nice for the DDO community, and I know he's too good a person to let the reactions of a few disgruntled members put him off.

Bsh1, thank you. For everything.

Love,
Endark

PS

I'm winning the next one though. :-p

I wish I were as cool as the guys who can pull gifs out of nowhere, but consider this a nod of approval lol.

But I'll say the same thing to you that I said to bsh early: the two of you are so darn eloquent lol.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 8:23:51 AM
Well said, Endarkened. As far as contests go, this is one where everyone should feel like a winner. You all poured a lot of effort into your fanfics, and each of you deserves respect for what you've produced. We have a lot of creativity here, and this was a great way to celebrate it. I've written fanfics myself for other sites and other competitions, and no matter what the outcome, I've been proud of what I've produced. Everyone who entered into this contest should be proud as well.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 11:40:10 AM
(ill just post my awards acceptance speech here)

Hello everyone, how do you do. Let me start out by saying that the ONLY reason I am here right now is because 1) DDO Walking Dead won an a**load of awards and im required (by me) to give an acceptance speech as a result, and 2) I kinda got tangled up in the whole drama thing between Daytona and Bsh that went down late last night. I apologize to Bsh for my brash behavior, in my defense I wasnt in the best of moods since the Heat got hammered by the Spurs and I got hammered watching them get hammered. That combined with the fact that it was 2 AM took a toll on my sanity and my ability to kinda remain calm last night, so my bad on that one.

The DDO Walking Dead won awards for:

- Best Misc Fanfic
- Most Action Packed (Though this one was a given since mine had zombies, lots of death, Nazi's, tanks, plane crashes, etc)
- Most Hilarious (Im somewhat surprised I got this one tbh :P)
- Single Best Episode (Series Finale)
- Tie for Most Awarded
- Runner Up for Most Addictive
- Runner Up for Best Setting
- Runner Up for Best Plotline

http://www.debate.org...

I offer my sincerest thanks to the judges for their votes, im surprised that the DDO Walking Dead won as many awards as it did but I am beyond honored that people still think so highly of it, and I also offer my congrats to YYW, whose fanfic ended up winning Best Overall Fanfic. I'll promise to start reading that series now, I got about two minutes into it before I decided to type this thing up instead ;D. I also offer my congrats to Bsh for hosting this whole competition and managing to maintain his cool despite me being a d*ckbag to him over some stuff. Not many people have been able to do the same thing in similar circumstances

As per my contract with Disney I am obligated to mention the movie Frozen whenever possible, so let me just say that Frozen is a fantastic movie and that it made more money than Toy Story 3 (Suck it). I also saw How to Train Your Dragon 2 recently and I give it 0.7 Frozen's (Meaning its 70% as good as Frozen). I encourage everyone to see Frozen if you havent already, because Frozen is one of those movies that simply isnt going away any time soon ;D

2 more things and then im gone. Number 1, I love reading the fanfics of other people, its basically the only thing I do when I browse DDO anymore since the rest of the site has kinda gone to hell in my absence. I never thought that DDO fanfictions would be the big legacy I left on DDO but im perfectly fine with it, I encourage people who dont have their own fanfic to consider making one. I myself have thought of several potential DDO fanfictions that I would follow that havent been made yet, here are some of them for those people out there who are thinking of making a DDO fanfic but dont have any ideas yet:

DDO Breaking Bad
DDO Orange is the New Black
DDO Game of Thrones
DDO NCIS
DDO Madmen
DDO Boardwalk Empire

Any of those would make great fanfiction series if written properly, and if anyone out there is thinking of making a fanfic, feel free to claim one of the ones mentioned above.

My final remark is reserved for MassiveDump, who I left in charge of the Weekly Stupid after my departure a couple months ago:

What the hell?

There's only been like one Weekly Stupid in the past month and a half now and the show has never been more non-weekly than ever before. You cant just make promises to young people and fill them with hope only to f*ck them in the a** over it Massive, I mean what is this, Penn State?

Thank you again to the judges who heavily awarded the DDO Walking Dead, thanks to Bsh for hosting it, and thank you all for making fanfictions the 2nd coolest thing on DDO right now (#1 is Thett)

PEACE :D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 11:40:23 AM
At 6/13/2014 8:23:51 AM, whiteflame wrote:
Well said, Endarkened. As far as contests go, this is one where everyone should feel like a winner. You all poured a lot of effort into your fanfics, and each of you deserves respect for what you've produced. We have a lot of creativity here, and this was a great way to celebrate it. I've written fanfics myself for other sites and other competitions, and no matter what the outcome, I've been proud of what I've produced. Everyone who entered into this contest should be proud as well.

This. 100% this.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2014 9:43:02 AM
At 6/13/2014 11:40:10 AM, imabench wrote:
(ill just post my awards acceptance speech here)

Hello everyone, how do you do. Let me start out by saying that the ONLY reason I am here right now is because 1) DDO Walking Dead won an a**load of awards and im required (by me) to give an acceptance speech as a result, and 2) I kinda got tangled up in the whole drama thing between Daytona and Bsh that went down late last night. I apologize to Bsh for my brash behavior, in my defense I wasnt in the best of moods since the Heat got hammered by the Spurs and I got hammered watching them get hammered. That combined with the fact that it was 2 AM took a toll on my sanity and my ability to kinda remain calm last night, so my bad on that one.

The DDO Walking Dead won awards for:

- Best Misc Fanfic
- Most Action Packed (Though this one was a given since mine had zombies, lots of death, Nazi's, tanks, plane crashes, etc)
- Most Hilarious (Im somewhat surprised I got this one tbh :P)
- Single Best Episode (Series Finale)
- Tie for Most Awarded
- Runner Up for Most Addictive
- Runner Up for Best Setting
- Runner Up for Best Plotline

I offer my sincerest thanks to the judges for their votes, im surprised that the DDO Walking Dead won as many awards as it did but I am beyond honored that people still think so highly of it, and I also offer my congrats to YYW, whose fanfic ended up winning Best Overall Fanfic. I'll promise to start reading that series now, I got about two minutes into it before I decided to type this thing up instead ;D. I also offer my congrats to Bsh for hosting this whole competition and managing to maintain his cool despite me being a d*ckbag to him over some stuff. Not many people have been able to do the same thing in similar circumstances
*nods*
As per my contract with Disney I am obligated to mention the movie Frozen whenever possible, so let me just say that Frozen is a fantastic movie and that it made more money than Toy Story 3 (Suck it). I also saw How to Train Your Dragon 2 recently and I give it 0.7 Frozen's (Meaning its 70% as good as Frozen). I encourage everyone to see Frozen if you havent already, because Frozen is one of those movies that simply isnt going away any time soon ;D
Agreed

2 more things and then im gone. Number 1, I love reading the fanfics of other people, its basically the only thing I do when I browse DDO anymore since the rest of the site has kinda gone to hell in my absence.
lol smh
I never thought that DDO fanfictions would be the big legacy I left on DDO but im perfectly fine with it, I encourage people who dont have their own fanfic to consider making one. I myself have thought of several potential DDO fanfictions that I would follow that havent been made yet, here are some of them for those people out there who are thinking of making a DDO fanfic but dont have any ideas yet:

DDO Breaking Bad
DDO Orange is the New Black
DDO Game of Thrones
DDO NCIS
DDO Madmen
DDO Boardwalk Empire

Any of those would make great fanfiction series if written properly, and if anyone out there is thinking of making a fanfic, feel free to claim one of the ones mentioned above.

My final remark is reserved for MassiveDump, who I left in charge of the Weekly Stupid after my departure a couple months ago:

What the hell?

There's only been like one Weekly Stupid in the past month and a half now and the show has never been more non-weekly than ever before. You cant just make promises to young people and fill them with hope only to f*ck them in the a** over it Massive, I mean what is this, Penn State?
XD

Thank you again to the judges who heavily awarded the DDO Walking Dead, thanks to Bsh for hosting it, and thank you all for making fanfictions the 2nd coolest thing on DDO right now (#1 is Thett)

PEACE :D
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2014 11:15:02 AM

Well said. Very sweet. :)
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 6:52:18 AM
At 6/14/2014 11:15:02 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

same to you
Equestrian election

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 11:52:37 AM
At 6/21/2014 6:52:18 AM, 9spaceking wrote:

same to you

Huh?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 11:55:29 AM
At 6/21/2014 11:52:37 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

same to you

Huh?
I meant, same AS you. Not same to you.
Equestrian election

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 11:57:14 AM
At 6/21/2014 11:55:29 AM, 9spaceking wrote:

same to you

Huh?
I meant, same AS you. Not same to you.
You mean you agree with me?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 11:57:51 AM
At 6/21/2014 11:57:14 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 6/21/2014 11:55:29 AM, 9spaceking wrote: