Jump to topic:

Front page of DDO...

Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 1:53:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Should there be a different system of figuring out which debates should be featured on the main page? A lot of debates get featured purely because of comment wars, so the debate itself may be terrible, but because someone takes it upon themselves to feed the troll, bad debates are getting featured on the main page. Not all debates on the main page are bad, but usually at least one of them is from a troll.

Does anyone think they have a better system?
Dude... Stop...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 4:20:43 AM
At 6/16/2014 1:53:08 AM, Fanath wrote:
Should there be a different system of figuring out which debates should be featured on the main page? A lot of debates get featured purely because of comment wars, so the debate itself may be terrible, but because someone takes it upon themselves to feed the troll, bad debates are getting featured on the main page. Not all debates on the main page are bad, but usually at least one of them is from a troll.

I suggested a system of just using the like button at the top of the page, to determine if it should be on the front page. I think it's the best possible system, and helps us control what debates are featured.

If we determine the front page debates, I'm sure the ones featured will be of higher quality.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 4:23:46 AM
At 6/16/2014 4:20:43 AM, Wylted wrote:

I suggested a system of just using the like button at the top of the page, to determine if it should be on the front page. I think it's the best possible system, and helps us control what debates are featured.

If we determine the front page debates, I'm sure the ones featured will be of higher quality.

No, Dudestop is right. Airmax won't say the exact algorithm for determining debate popularity, but from what I do know is that it *heavily* weighs comments. I think the system needs to be changed because, yeah, a lot of the debates that get up there are only there due to the comment wars.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 4:36:27 AM
At 6/16/2014 4:23:46 AM, thett3 wrote:

No, Dudestop is right. Airmax won't say the exact algorithm for determining debate popularity, but from what I do know is that it *heavily* weighs comments. I think the system needs to be changed because, yeah, a lot of the debates that get up there are only there due to the comment wars.

I just wish I had time to spam comments on good debates so they would be featured up there. The algorithm needs to be changed to just straight represent likes a debate receives.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 10:09:27 AM
Wylted's Like button system is probably our best bet.

The current system definitely does need to be changed, though. Any system that favors LifeMeansGodIsGood's debates over bsh1's and Wylted's debates is totally messed.
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 12:15:08 PM

So the debates with the highest amount of likes would go on the main page. Would it be the debates that are currently receiving the most likes, or the debates that have the most likes?
Dude... Stop...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 12:21:52 PM
At 6/16/2014 12:15:08 PM, Fanath wrote:

So the debates with the highest amount of likes would go on the main page. Would it be the debates that are currently receiving the most likes, or the debates that have the most likes?

It would have to be current debates or else my debate with FREEDO would be there forever :p http://www.debate.org...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 1:12:48 PM
At 6/16/2014 12:21:52 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 6/16/2014 12:15:08 PM, Fanath wrote:

It would have to be current debates or else my debate with FREEDO would be there forever :p http://www.debate.org...

Lol nice. My debate wouldn't hold the top spot on the featured debate page, it has negative 5 likes lol.
http://www.debate.org...
Dude... Stop...