Jump to topic:

Cross examination

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:29:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Does anyone have any good ideas on how we could implement a system of cross examination in debates on the site? I think CX is a vital part of debate that is left out on the site. I think this, along with shortening round lengths as the debate goes on would highly increase the quality of debates.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:33:52 PM
At 6/16/2014 6:29:15 PM, thett3 wrote:
Does anyone have any good ideas on how we could implement a system of cross examination in debates on the site? I think CX is a vital part of debate that is left out on the site. I think this, along with shortening round lengths as the debate goes on would highly increase the quality of debates.

Shortening round lengths? 0.0

Shouldn't you need it to be longer?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:35:13 PM

I have built in rules about shortened final rounds to get at the second point. e.g. 8k rounds with a 4k or 5k closing. I would definitely like the ability to control the length of individual rounds when setting up a debate.

I agree with CX but I don't think it functions well in a text-based environment. CX is by nature a matter of real-time response and wit. The DDO platform allows for editing and review; I just dont think CX makes sense. If you want CX, do a video debate.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:35:46 PM
At 6/16/2014 6:33:52 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Shortening round lengths? 0.0

Shouldn't you need it to be longer?

No. In real debate, the speeches get shorter as the time goes on forcing the debaters to make choices on which arguments they want to continue arguing over. One of the biggest problems with DDO debates is that there is no difference between round lengths so instead of being condensed into the best points for each side, hardly any argument gets kicked and the debates become a clusterfuck and not as fun to read as they probably would be otherwise
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:38:02 PM
At 6/16/2014 6:35:13 PM, Raisor wrote:

I have built in rules about shortened final rounds to get at the second point. e.g. 8k rounds with a 4k or 5k closing. I would definitely like the ability to control the length of individual rounds when setting up a debate.

I agree with CX but I don't think it functions well in a text-based environment. CX is by nature a matter of real-time response and wit. The DDO platform allows for editing and review; I just dont think CX makes sense. If you want CX, do a video debate.

Yeah maybe. I was thinking maybe a text based chat box or something, but I imagine most CX rounds would be forfeited as the debaters would have to be on at the same time...there was a guy merciless who used to have crossfire rounds but it didn't work that well.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:43:39 PM

I've done CX twice, in both debates we just posted in the comments. That worked fine as far as I'm concerned.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:57:35 PM
At 6/16/2014 6:43:39 PM, TN05 wrote:

I've done CX twice, in both debates we just posted in the comments. That worked fine as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting. How did you like it? Did you find it useful and did the judges? I may try something similar in the future.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 7:04:17 PM
At 6/16/2014 6:57:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 6/16/2014 6:43:39 PM, TN05 wrote:

Interesting. How did you like it? Did you find it useful and did the judges? I may try something similar in the future.

I thought it was interesting. In this debate:

http://www.debate.org...

CX was used for clarifications. You could ask questions of your opponent at any point and they would have to answer them. I found it very useful and it certainly affected how me and MassiveDump argued, but I don't think judges considered it at all.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 7:10:58 PM

I think you could just make some kind of back and forth chat or something. It doesn't seem that complicated to implement. I agree though. All debates are ussually done through cross examination.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 7:21:18 PM
Personally, I wish we could do points of information, but I think that's only possible in live debates.