Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Wonderfully Tolerant LGBT Community

JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:34:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:23:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Warning: Contains Profanity
http://www.lifesitenews.com...

"System Maintenance
LifeSiteNews is currently performing scheduled maintenance on our website. Please stay tuned for some exciting new developments."

What's your point? It sounds like a nebulous generalization, a meaningless at an entire group of people based on the actions of one or a few, which is by definition a fallacy of composition.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:36:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Actually, you have it wrong. A christian officer beat a LGBT protester.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:37:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:34:59 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:23:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Warning: Contains Profanity
http://www.lifesitenews.com...

"System Maintenance
LifeSiteNews is currently performing scheduled maintenance on our website. Please stay tuned for some exciting new developments."

What's your point? It sounds like a nebulous generalization, a meaningless at an entire group of people based on the actions of one or a few, which is by definition a fallacy of composition.

This is a counter to Mikal's thread.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:38:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:36:05 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Actually, you have it wrong. A christian officer beat a LGBT protester.

Actually, this time around it was the gays who beat up a Christian.
Also, notice the gay man in a purple dress, lol. It seems the stereotypes about gay men may have some truth.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:40:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:37:05 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:34:59 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:23:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Warning: Contains Profanity
http://www.lifesitenews.com...

"System Maintenance
LifeSiteNews is currently performing scheduled maintenance on our website. Please stay tuned for some exciting new developments."

What's your point? It sounds like a nebulous generalization, a meaningless at an entire group of people based on the actions of one or a few, which is by definition a fallacy of composition.

This is a counter to Mikal's thread.

Mikal's thread was an equally stupid overgeneralization, which is something I wouldn't expect from someone of his caliber.

But at least he provided a working video of a bigot attacking people based on what his magic book said. I've never seen a gay person say, "You're going to burn in hell." In fact, quite the contrary. Most of them, from what I have seen, will take on an attitude such as, "You don't need to agree with me, but respect me and don't pre-judge." There's a massive difference there and a fundamentalist suggesting that you're doomed to burn for all eternity merely because of whom you happen to love. It's interesting that, given the Protestant interpretation of the Bible, a mass murderer who repents can be saved. Of course, Antonin Scalia, not I, would make a comparison like that, but I think you understand the logic.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:46:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Not all Christians are good people, nor are all LGBTQ people good people.

Just as it is wrong to say "I hate all Christians" on the basis of what a few homophobes did, it is also wrong to accuse the greater LGBTQ community of being intolerant on the basis on actions carried out by a handful of people.

Finger-pointing gets us nowhere. Instead, we should recognize that every demographic group has its hateful subsets, but that does not mean that we should extrapolate the beliefs of the subgroup to apply to the larger whole.

This thread is therefore in poor taste, as is Mikal's--though I don't think any ill-will was meant in his thread. We should recognize that most Christians, most LGBTQ people, most individuals in general, are good people, and that just because a few jerks decide to do something wrong, doesn't mean we should blame all Christians or all LGBTQ people for those wrongdoings.

/thread
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:47:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:38:15 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

Also, notice the gay man in a purple dress, lol. It seems the stereotypes about gay men may have some truth.

Stereotypes generally have a root in reality--though I'd argue the vast majority of gay men don't actually fit that stereotype.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:48:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
One time I met a gay guy and I was like "hey, are you attracted to me?" And he said "no...." So I realized that whatever else you can say about gay people they have terrible taste in men. It's for this reason that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, why should we subsidize a group of people to marry each other when clearly they all have bad taste????
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:50:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:46:51 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Not all Christians are good people, nor are all LGBTQ people good people.

Just as it is wrong to say "I hate all Christians" on the basis of what a few homophobes did, it is also wrong to accuse the greater LGBTQ community of being intolerant on the basis on actions carried out by a handful of people.

Finger-pointing gets us nowhere. Instead, we should recognize that every demographic group has its hateful subsets, but that does not mean that we should extrapolate the beliefs of the subgroup to apply to the larger whole.

This thread is therefore in poor taste, as is Mikal's--though I don't think any ill-will was meant in his thread. We should recognize that most Christians, most LGBTQ people, most individuals in general, are good people, and that just because a few jerks decide to do something wrong, doesn't mean we should blame all Christians or all LGBTQ people for those wrongdoings.

/thread

And bsh wins the thread.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:50:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:47:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:38:15 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

Also, notice the gay man in a purple dress, lol. It seems the stereotypes about gay men may have some truth.

Stereotypes generally have a root in reality--though I'd argue the vast majority of gay men don't actually fit that stereotype.

I agree with you here. Stereotypes exist for a reason. Homosexuality is a social group, and people often conform to those in their social group. This applies to everyone in life.

For him to imply that all people in a social group are carbon copies is silly though.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:51:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:40:11 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:37:05 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:34:59 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:23:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Warning: Contains Profanity
http://www.lifesitenews.com...

"System Maintenance
LifeSiteNews is currently performing scheduled maintenance on our website. Please stay tuned for some exciting new developments."

What's your point? It sounds like a nebulous generalization, a meaningless at an entire group of people based on the actions of one or a few, which is by definition a fallacy of composition.

This is a counter to Mikal's thread.

Mikal's thread was an equally stupid overgeneralization, which is something I wouldn't expect from someone of his caliber.

But at least he provided a working video of a bigot attacking people based on what his magic book said. I've never seen a gay person say, "You're going to burn in hell." In fact, quite the contrary. Most of them, from what I have seen, will take on an attitude such as, "You don't need to agree with me, but respect me and don't pre-judge." There's a massive difference there and a fundamentalist suggesting that you're doomed to burn for all eternity merely because of whom you happen to love. It's interesting that, given the Protestant interpretation of the Bible, a mass murderer who repents can be saved. Of course, Antonin Scalia, not I, would make a comparison like that, but I think you understand the logic.

So you're saying it's worse for a Christian to beat up a gay man than for a gay man to beat up a Christian? It's fair to say that both cases were equally bad. And yes, my link did show a gay guy beating up a Christian.
As for the thing you said about Protestants and mass murderers, I don't get it. I'm Catholic, so...
There is a difference between making a statement like "You're Headed for Hell" out of hatred and trying to get someone to repent out of a genuine concern for their soul. In this case, it was probably the second, though I don't know what it was the Christians were saying.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:53:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:50:35 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:47:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:38:15 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

Also, notice the gay man in a purple dress, lol. It seems the stereotypes about gay men may have some truth.

Stereotypes generally have a root in reality--though I'd argue the vast majority of gay men don't actually fit that stereotype.

I agree with you here. Stereotypes exist for a reason. Homosexuality is a social group, and people often conform to those in their social group. This applies to everyone in life.

For him to imply that all people in a social group are carbon copies is silly though.

Personally, of all the gay men I've met, I have only ever met 2 that fit the uber-flamboyant stereotype. My personal experience seems to indicate that gay guys are pretty normal...just a bit more metro than the average guy.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:55:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:48:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
One time I met a gay guy and I was like "hey, are you attracted to me?" And he said "no...." So I realized that whatever else you can say about gay people they have terrible taste in men. It's for this reason that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, why should we subsidize a group of people to marry each other when clearly they all have bad taste????

Well, we don't all go for your specific look...You're cute, but not my type. Though, I know quite a few gay guys who would love to meet with you (and sleep with you.)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:56:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:55:10 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:48:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
One time I met a gay guy and I was like "hey, are you attracted to me?" And he said "no...." So I realized that whatever else you can say about gay people they have terrible taste in men. It's for this reason that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, why should we subsidize a group of people to marry each other when clearly they all have bad taste????

Well, we don't all go for your specific look...You're cute, but not my type. Though, I know quite a few gay guys who would love to meet with you (and sleep with you.)

That mans name was YYW...

Bsh don't you know that every monolithic group of people we categorize into groups are all exactly the same? Therefore gay guys have bad taste
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:57:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:53:22 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:50:35 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:47:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:38:15 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

Also, notice the gay man in a purple dress, lol. It seems the stereotypes about gay men may have some truth.

Stereotypes generally have a root in reality--though I'd argue the vast majority of gay men don't actually fit that stereotype.

I agree with you here. Stereotypes exist for a reason. Homosexuality is a social group, and people often conform to those in their social group. This applies to everyone in life.

For him to imply that all people in a social group are carbon copies is silly though.

Personally, of all the gay men I've met, I have only ever met 2 that fit the uber-flamboyant stereotype. My personal experience seems to indicate that gay guys are pretty normal...just a bit more metro than the average guy.

This is what I have also noticed. There are those who you can tell right away, but all the homosexuals I know by name, had me wondering for a LONG time.

People shouldn't generalize. Although the super flamboyant homosexuals are pretty annoying, but so are millitant feminists, egotistics, and ultra bible humpers.

I try to keep the BS out of my views though.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:57:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:51:36 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:40:11 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:37:05 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:34:59 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:23:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Warning: Contains Profanity
http://www.lifesitenews.com...

"System Maintenance
LifeSiteNews is currently performing scheduled maintenance on our website. Please stay tuned for some exciting new developments."

What's your point? It sounds like a nebulous generalization, a meaningless at an entire group of people based on the actions of one or a few, which is by definition a fallacy of composition.

This is a counter to Mikal's thread.

Mikal's thread was an equally stupid overgeneralization, which is something I wouldn't expect from someone of his caliber.

But at least he provided a working video of a bigot attacking people based on what his magic book said. I've never seen a gay person say, "You're going to burn in hell." In fact, quite the contrary. Most of them, from what I have seen, will take on an attitude such as, "You don't need to agree with me, but respect me and don't pre-judge." There's a massive difference there and a fundamentalist suggesting that you're doomed to burn for all eternity merely because of whom you happen to love. It's interesting that, given the Protestant interpretation of the Bible, a mass murderer who repents can be saved. Of course, Antonin Scalia, not I, would make a comparison like that, but I think you understand the logic.

So you're saying it's worse for a Christian to beat up a gay man than for a gay man to beat up a Christian? It's fair to say that both cases were equally bad. And yes, my link did show a gay guy beating up a Christian.

As I said, the link didn't work for me because it said the site was undergoing maintenance.

No, that isn't even remotely what I said. What an unbelievable strawman you've created. Of course that's equally bad. I was making a point, generally speaking, about the Christian and LGBT communities and where the vast majority of the hate originates from. It doesn't apply to all Christians, certainly, but I've never seen a gay person tell a Christian that he's going to burn for eternity.

As for the thing you said about Protestants and mass murderers, I don't get it. I'm Catholic, so...

Ok, the point is that, as most Christians believe, faith is the only way to achieve salvation. Some obviously agree, but that's the conventional view.

However, there are also Bible verses which say something to the effect of "make no mistake, no gay person will get into the kingdom of heaven."

So on one end it says, repent and all of your sins will be forgiven. And on that next, it takes something that doesn't hurt a single person and elevates it to this pedestal where it essentially becomes the cardinal sin.

Heck, we could elevate that a bit further and even look at a philanthropic man who happens to be agnostic, and a mass murderer who happens to be a Christian. Who goes to heaven and who goes to hell? How does that compare to who SHOULD go to heaven and who should go to hell? I think you see my point.

There is a difference between making a statement like "You're Headed for Hell" out of hatred and trying to get someone to repent out of a genuine concern for their soul. In this case, it was probably the second, though I don't know what it was the Christians were saying.

I can't imagine it being out of "genuine concern for someone's soul." It's really a convoluted way of saying, "Join my cult, because I've been brainwashed to contribute to the overlords who run this place so that we can continue to influence elections, push stone-age morals, and profit on your fear."

Not to mention, if someone doesn't believe as you do, the threat of "hell" doesn't exactly sound...threatening. It sounds like horse puckey, and if anything, further invalidates the theological case even further.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 3:59:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:56:33 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:55:10 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:48:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
One time I met a gay guy and I was like "hey, are you attracted to me?" And he said "no...." So I realized that whatever else you can say about gay people they have terrible taste in men. It's for this reason that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, why should we subsidize a group of people to marry each other when clearly they all have bad taste????

Well, we don't all go for your specific look...You're cute, but not my type. Though, I know quite a few gay guys who would love to meet with you (and sleep with you.)

That mans name was YYW...

Bsh don't you know that every monolithic group of people we categorize into groups are all exactly the same? Therefore gay guys have bad taste

No. Gay guys definitely have superior taste in many things, when compared to the average straight guy.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:01:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think the LGBT movement is handling gay rights all wrong though. Protests, wearing dresses, and purposefully pissing off ultra conservatives will make them fight harder. There are moderate groups who use reason and logic in a calm manner.

They are the most effective at achieving greater equality. BTW, Michigan will have gay marriage as a referendum next year. I plan on voting, and convincing as many as possible to vote.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:03:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:57:59 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

As for the thing you said about Protestants and mass murderers, I don't get it. I'm Catholic, so...

Ok, the point is that, as most Christians believe, faith is the only way to achieve salvation. Some obviously agree, but that's the conventional view.

This wasn't a defense. It was a dig at Catholics. He's just continuing with additional asinine and inflammatory comments. From his profile:

My name is Anthony Rodriguez and I have a Harverd degree I am forty years old and my IQ according to a test is 83 I am Catholic and I am a Priest.
JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:05:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 4:03:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:57:59 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

As for the thing you said about Protestants and mass murderers, I don't get it. I'm Catholic, so...

Ok, the point is that, as most Christians believe, faith is the only way to achieve salvation. Some obviously agree, but that's the conventional view.

This wasn't a defense. It was a dig at Catholics. He's just continuing with additional asinine and inflammatory comments. From his profile:

My name is Anthony Rodriguez and I have a Harverd degree I am forty years old and my IQ according to a test is 83 I am Catholic and I am a Priest.

I don't see how it was a dig against Catholics, since there is a genuine disagreement on faith versus works among various sects of Christianity.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:08:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If homosexuals want to make head way, the first thing they need to do is stop having gay pride parades. That is where 90% of heterosexual people get their perception of homosexuality. When I look at a gay pride parade the homosexual community is telling me I need to look at what goes on in a gay pride parade as something to accept, expose young children to and view as normal behavior in public.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:09:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 4:03:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:57:59 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

As for the thing you said about Protestants and mass murderers, I don't get it. I'm Catholic, so...

Ok, the point is that, as most Christians believe, faith is the only way to achieve salvation. Some obviously agree, but that's the conventional view.

This wasn't a defense. It was a dig at Catholics. He's just continuing with additional asinine and inflammatory comments. From his profile:

My name is Anthony Rodriguez and I have a Harverd degree I am forty years old and my IQ according to a test is 83 I am Catholic and I am a Priest.

explain
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:14:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 4:05:14 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 6/18/2014 4:03:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:57:59 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

As for the thing you said about Protestants and mass murderers, I don't get it. I'm Catholic, so...

Ok, the point is that, as most Christians believe, faith is the only way to achieve salvation. Some obviously agree, but that's the conventional view.

This wasn't a defense. It was a dig at Catholics. He's just continuing with additional asinine and inflammatory comments. From his profile:

My name is Anthony Rodriguez and I have a Harverd degree I am forty years old and my IQ according to a test is 83 I am Catholic and I am a Priest.

I don't see how it was a dig against Catholics, since there is a genuine disagreement on faith versus works among various sects of Christianity.

If you look at his profile, he is simply mocking Catholics. Under Catholic theology it is also possible for the worst possible sinner to repent and achieve salvation - so the whole thing is a non-starter.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:16:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 4:09:11 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 6/18/2014 4:03:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:57:59 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

As for the thing you said about Protestants and mass murderers, I don't get it. I'm Catholic, so...

Ok, the point is that, as most Christians believe, faith is the only way to achieve salvation. Some obviously agree, but that's the conventional view.

This wasn't a defense. It was a dig at Catholics. He's just continuing with additional asinine and inflammatory comments. From his profile:

My name is Anthony Rodriguez and I have a Harverd degree I am forty years old and my IQ according to a test is 83 I am Catholic and I am a Priest.

explain

If I want to waste my time I'll turn on some realty show on TV, thanks.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:17:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:36:05 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Actually, you have it wrong. A christian officer beat a LGBT protester.

...for punching him in the groin while he was trying to arrest her for attacking another person.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:18:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 3:46:51 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Not all Christians are good people, nor are all LGBTQ people good people.

Just as it is wrong to say "I hate all Christians" on the basis of what a few homophobes did, it is also wrong to accuse the greater LGBTQ community of being intolerant on the basis on actions carried out by a handful of people.

Finger-pointing gets us nowhere. Instead, we should recognize that every demographic group has its hateful subsets, but that does not mean that we should extrapolate the beliefs of the subgroup to apply to the larger whole.

This thread is therefore in poor taste, as is Mikal's--though I don't think any ill-will was meant in his thread. We should recognize that most Christians, most LGBTQ people, most individuals in general, are good people, and that just because a few jerks decide to do something wrong, doesn't mean we should blame all Christians or all LGBTQ people for those wrongdoings.

/thread

THIS.
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:27:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 4:16:09 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/18/2014 4:09:11 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 6/18/2014 4:03:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/18/2014 3:57:59 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

As for the thing you said about Protestants and mass murderers, I don't get it. I'm Catholic, so...

Ok, the point is that, as most Christians believe, faith is the only way to achieve salvation. Some obviously agree, but that's the conventional view.

This wasn't a defense. It was a dig at Catholics. He's just continuing with additional asinine and inflammatory comments. From his profile:

My name is Anthony Rodriguez and I have a Harverd degree I am forty years old and my IQ according to a test is 83 I am Catholic and I am a Priest.

explain

If I want to waste my time I'll turn on some realty show on TV, thanks.

yor wrong for I am a priest at the Church of the Holy Communion Sacrament Rosaries Ave Maria Gargoyles Blessed Holy Sacred Excessively Awesum Virgin Church. Located in Rhode Island.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,355
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:36:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Just saying... If we're gonna gonna gorup together the LGBT community because of one butt, then that butt is also a human being... Are we then grouping the entire population of homosapiens as "wonderfully tolerant."
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:39:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 4:36:36 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Just saying... If we're gonna gonna gorup together the LGBT community because of one butt, then that butt is also a human being... Are we then grouping the entire population of homosapiens as "wonderfully tolerant."
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com...

Let's just be candid:

P1: Operating under the knowledge that we are all homo sapiens and fallacies of composition don't exist, if one person is a "wonderfully tolerant" bigot, everyone is a "wonderfully tolerant" bigot.
P2: We have videos, silly.
C: Everyone is a "wonderfully tolerant" bigot.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics