Jump to topic:

Attack on DDO EPISODE FIVE

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 3:40:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
YYW looked at the assembled group with a slight sense of pride, the kind of pride a father would have watching his own kids learn and grow. In the few short hours since his rallying speech over whether to fight or run, they had moved the truck the rest of the way to the abandoned mine, made sure the surrounding area was clear of any foreign threats, and set up a little "home away from home" for the foreseeable future.

YYW had called them together to discuss roles, necessary chores and duties that would need to get done, and training for the job at hand, and he was already impressed with how far they had come. Before, it was evident that they were scared, frightened with the prospect of what the future held, unsure of how to proceed from moment to moment. Now, not a hint of fear dared to show its" face in their eyes, determination with their new-found purpose and goal, in either victory or death. They were ready to begin preparing.

"Now I know that we"re going to be fighting them, and I have no intention of ever going easy on them, but I"m not going to take them lightly, and none of you should either. They"re still very well trained, better equipped, and obviously outnumber us by a lot. We can"t win in a straight-up fight, and there"s no way we"ll be able to do much right now until we prepare." YYW started, looking around at the different members of the group before starting to pace in his speech"

---

The group stood in a line, focused at a line of trees ahead of them. YYW had been drilling them on how to handle firearms for a few hours now, and he was not taking it easy on them. "It"s as important as knowing how to breath. Your weapon should be an extension of yourself. You should know how it works just as well as how you work. Anything less will get you killed." He stressed, walking between them and correcting any errors in posture and stance as they were holding their weapons against their shoulders, aiming down their sights. YYW stopped at ClassicRobert, the fourth time that day, and made an adjustment to his hand positioning, before shaking his head. It was understandable that he was making constant mistakes, especially considering that he wasn"t actually holding anything other than air (they were short on actual weapons to hold). YYW went back to a small pile of supplies that he had brought with them to train, and came back with a water gun, handing it to ClassicRobert. Robert looked at the weapon, an amused look on his face, but accepted it and resumed the correct stance once again. YYW nodded, content, before continuing his inspections.

---

"Hey Mikal! When can we eat something?" Esocialbookworm called out to the boy, perking his attention from his post. They were camped out in the middle of the woods, a decent distance away from their camp, in a training exercise to learn how to maintain a perimeter in the base and, at least Mikal assumed, how to remain alert of their surroundings at all times, even when there weren"t any obvious threats. They had to stay out in their make-shift camp for three days, surviving on minimal rations and avoiding YYW"s attempts to catch them off-guard.

Mikal shrugged at the question, moving away from the spot he had been sitting in for the past few hours and moving toward the supplies. "Might as well spread out some of the food now. I"m really hungry." Mikal confessed, rummaging through some various cans and boxes. "Oooh! Good! My stomach was about to shrivel up and die if we didn"t eat soon." Esocial said happily, waving to a distant zmikecuber to get him to come back from his spot. "Mikey! We"re getting food!" she called to him.

Mikal came back up from the food stash, a few can of baked beans in his hands. "We don"t have anything to make a fire, so we"ll have to eat them straight-up." That got a snort from behind Mikal, who turned around to see Thett and Endarkenedrationalist walking back. "God that sounds nasty. Can"t we, like, rub sticks together or something? That"s got to be easier than eating them straight." Thett complained, which got a slap on the back of the head from Endarkened. "If you wanna be there for hours trying to get a spark, be my guest. Besides, it"s really not that bad. I"ve had it before and it"s edible. What are you expecting, a lobster dinner?" Endarkened teased, which shut down Thett"s complaints. "Well, not really, it"s just not normal. Whatever, let"s just eat."

They all sat around as Mikal jimmied the lid off with a knife, turning it over and watching the can of beans slowly slide out, maintaining the cylindrical shape until it plopped onto the paper plate they had out with a sickening "Shlick!" noise. "Ewww!" half of the group mused at the same time. "That"s the most disgusting noise I"ve ever heard." Esocial complained, getting a laugh from zmikecuber.

Squirt! Squirt! Squirt!

Within a minute, the entire group had been sprayed in the face with a blast of water. They all jumped startled by the site of YYW standing behind them all, a water gun in both of his hands and a disappointed look on his face. Amused, probably by their disgust in a can of beans, but disappointed all the same. He gestured back behind him with his head, lowering the squirt guns. "Come on, let"s head back to the camp. We can try this again another time when you guys are more ready for it." He spoke, turning around and walking off without another word, leaving the group speechless.

---

""Right now each one of you is just an average person. Compared to the average soldier, you"re a worse shot, worse physical shape, worse in close fighting, and worse in maneuvers that are essential to know in the battlefield. We all need to improve, both physically and mentally, if we"re going to have a shot at pulling this off." YYW said, looking back up at them, watching them slowly nod in silent agreement.

"For now, we"ll be just training to improve. Physical training regiments and workouts every day. I"ll also be drilling you all in necessary things to know if we"re going to be fighting, such as working with a weapon as well as how to fight hand-to-hand. But that"s not going to be enough. There will be things that we need to be able to do that I won"t be able to teach you or provide for you. So we all need to adapt things that we already know, or learn new talents." He continued, looking back down to his pacing"

---

"Alright listen up!" YYW called out, clearing the small chatter the group was having. He had brought them out to a small clearing for this lesson, since they would need a little bit of space to move around. "Of course knowing how to shoot a gun is nice, but sometimes you won"t have the luxury of being able to aim and shoot before someone decides that they want to jump you. You need to know how to fight with your hands as well as with a gun. So I"m going to demonstrate a few basic things you should know how to do reflexively so that if you ever need to fight hand-to-hand, you"ll be able to do so." YYW said, looking around at the nodding group before nodding himself and looking at Mikal.

"Okay then! Mikal! Get up here. You"re today"s training dummy, I mean partner." YYW said, getting a few chuckles from the group as YYW"s younger brother jogged forward, standing next to his brother. "Since I"m going to assume that you all know how to form a fist and throw it at someone, the first thing I want to teach you is what to do if someone tries to punch you." YYW looked at Mikal, who looked at his brother in return. "Mikal. Try to punch me." YYW said. Mikal smirked awkwardly, throwing a half-hearted punch at his brother, which was easily batted aside by an annoyed YYW. "Come on now. You wouldn"t even hurt me if you tried to seriously punch me. Just do it." --->
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 3:42:26 PM
Mikal rolled his eyes at the slight jab, shrugging and sending a fist flying straight at his brother"s face. Before Mikal had even realized that YYW had grabbed his elbow, turning and kicking his feet out from under him, the teenage boy was flipped over and thrown onto the ground with a Thud! The group watching winced slightly, and Mikal layed there for a second, trying to regain his breath. YYW smirked a little, offering his hand down for his brother to help him back up, which was taken. "When you throw your attacker onto the ground, you get plenty of options on how to go from there. You can either start laying on him with punches and kicks, or pull out your gun and shoot one into his face, or run away if the situation calls for it. I"ll show you it again step-by-step, then I"ll get you all paired off so you can practice it yourself."

---

"Come on! Faster!" YYW called, backpedalling as the rest of the group were lagging behind in their morning backpack run. It was starting to wind down toward the end of the run, but the rest of the group was apparently starting to run out of steam. A startled shout came from the pack, and it came to a halt. "YYW!" he heard his brother call from the group, which got YYW jogging back to rejoin them.
When YYW reached the group again, he grimaced at what all the commotion was over. "I tripped over a rock and rolled my ankle. I can"t stand on it." Wylted said, holding his left ankle gingerly. "Bsh and I are trying to help him up, but he just keeps going back down because he can"t put any weight on it." Esocial said, Bsh nodding as well. YYW thought about it for a minute, before shrugging.

"What are you looking at me for? You two were the ones who wanted to learn how to patch people up, right? Well, here"s your first test: Splint his ankle and get him moving again so we can get back to the camp." He explained simply, receiving a shocked, but understanding look from the two of them as they unsling their backpacks to pull out a few different things. "Hey Thett, can you look around for some thick branches for me? At least thigh-length. I just need two, but if you can find three that would be great." Bsh asked Thett, who nodded and jogged off to go search. "Do you have any water left in your jug Wylted? You should drink some while we"re sitting here." Esocial asked, receiving a shake of the head from Wylted. Esocial shrugged, extending her hand out behind her without even looking back. "Hey Mike." She said simply, not even bothering to finish the sentence. The group laughed a little, making whipping noises as zmikecuber unclipped his water jug from his backpack without a word, ignoring the teasing and handing it to Esocial. "Thanks babe~!" she said cheerfully, handing it to Wylted, who sipped at it slowly.

---

" "We don"t have to be alone in this fight, also. There will be others in the site, who don"t like the occupation and have things we can use. Weapons, supplies, food, medicine. And while they do have a lot of people, they can"t keep track of a few people coming and going. We make friends with those who can help us, and we grow stronger." YYW continued in his speech, nodding up and down at his own train of thought.

"Our smaller numbers give us an advantage. The site"s home to thousands of people, if not tens of thousands. A few people in the crowd will hardly ever attract attention, which means we can use anonymity to our advantage. We"ll have free reign to scout out their guard positions, watch them move and how they work and react to different situations." "

---

"Are we sure we can trust this guy?" Bsh whispered to YYW, a look of concern on his face. YYW shrugged simply, which didn"t calm Bsh"s nerves. "No clue. All I know is that he ran the local gun store, and was an absolute fanatic about guns. If there was anyone left in this town that still held on to something in terms of weapons that we could use, it would be this guy."

The day had been a long one, but it was getting close to ending. In an effort to expand their arsenal of weapons they could bring to bear against the invaders, YYW had wanted to go into the city to put out feelers for anyone who might still have something they would want to either donate to the cause or trade away for money or other things. He had wanted to go alone, since one person in a crowd is far less suspicious than multiple people in a crowd, but no one liked the idea of him leaving on his own. The group eventually decided on one other person going with him, and Bsh volunteered.

It didn"t take them long to get past the guard checkpoint into the main site. After that it was just a matter of spreading some money around to get people to talk about anyone they might know who knew someone who could point them in the right direction.

That led them to the shoddy apartment complex they stood in now, in front of a room at the end of a long, dimly lit hallway.

Before Bsh could voice any further concerns, the door opened slightly, just wide enough for a curious head to poke out, revealing a middle-aged, grisly man, complete with a dark beard with spots of gray, a few scarred sections on his face, and an annoyed snarl. "Can I help you?" the man asked cautiously, eyeing the two strangers with a look of distrust.

"Are you XLAV? Dudestop said you might have some old pieces you might be willing to part with." YYW asked cautiously, not wanting to say things too blatantly out in the open like this. XLAV looked around, down the hallway to make sure no one was watching, before cracking the door open slightly wider. "Come in, come in. Hurry up, before someone see"s you." YYW looked at Bsh, gesturing toward the door first. Bsh nodded, walking in slowly and cautiously, YYW following suit and shutting the door behind him.

XLAV lead them into what looked like his living room, which was very messy and poorly furnished. Old beer cans and potato chip bags were strewn all over the torn-up couch, which was the only thing in the room other than a TV, which sat on a small stand, and a cabinet against the wall. "Now, can I ask you to be a little more specific about what you were looking for? "Pieces" could reference almost anything." XLAV questioned, turning around to face the two guests.

"Anything that the oh-so-gracious prefect may not have taken from you. We know that you used to be a gun salesman before this all happened." YYW said simply, which caused XLAV to let out a disappointed sigh. The man shook his head slowly. "I was afraid of that. I don"t want to get involved in anything that could cause people to get killed. And I"m pretty sure that"s what you want the guns for." XLAV said definitively, as if this wasn"t the first time he"s had to turn away potential customers out of self-safety.

YYW wasn"t satisfied with that answer. "We could really use anything you could give us. Someone will have to do something about these guys eventually. And if you remember anything about my family or my father, you know it might as well be us." YYW replied, remaining calm and talking evenly. The comment about YYW"s father seemed to get his attention, and XLAV seemed to ponder on it for a bit. "Now that you mention it, you do look familiar"you"re Airmax"s kid, right? I heard what they did to him. I"m sorry." XLAV spoke, a much more personal tone from his previous distant, cold tone. YYW just nodded in response. "Look, kid, I can"t do much for you. They seized all of my stock. Otherwise I"d let you take whatever you wanted. But I do know someone who does have some stuff. I"ll get in touch with them and I"ll get my hands on anything that I can get to give to you."

This brought a smile to YYW"s face, who clapped XLAV"s shoulder appreciatively. "Thanks. We won"t let you down." --->
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 3:44:59 PM
---

" "You may not think that we"re much; we"re just a rag-tag band of teenagers, after all. But that"s where you have it all wrong. The more we train, the harder we work, the stronger we become. Before you realize it, we"ll be far more than capable of taking them on and start getting some payback." YYW spoke, his gaze drifting between each and every one of them as his speech came to an end.

---

A silent step forward. A slow, steady inhale, then exhale. YYW had to pace himself this time and not get too relaxed. He almost got caught last time, and this time he didn"t plan on making the same mistakes again.

The approach to the camp was rough going. This time his a**hole of a brother, Mikal, had finally chosen a decently defensible spot to set up their camp for the drill, and the only way to approach it without being seen was through a really thick part of the woods, filled with brush and sharp sticks. The woods pressed against YYW"s muscular form with each and every step, leaving scratches and the occasional cut on any bit of exposed skin it could reach.

After ten minutes of slow progress, the brush finally ended in sight of the camp. A large, roughly lean-to situated next to a campfire, no one in sight. At least they learned that much. They were probably all still sleeping; YYW had decided to make his approach just a little after the crack of dawn, and they were only kids after all.
YYW started his approach toward the center of the camp, his water gun pressed against his shoulder, prepared to squirt the first person he saw. The shelter was within twenty feet, now ten feet, now in front of him. YYW took a second to take a slow, silent breath, standing behind the lean, before spinning out to face the inside of---

An absolutely empty lean-to. What the hell?

"Not this time." Came a victorious, cocky voice as he felt a small circle being pressed against the small of his back. Endarkened and Wylted emerged from a tree-line to his left, toy weapons raised. ClassicRobert and zmikecuber emerged from his right, weapons in hand as well. YYW turned around, shaking his head, a defeated grin on his face. Thett, Bsh, and esocialbookworm stood ten yards away, guns at the ready. And of all people to be holding the gun to his face was Mikal, an arrogant smirk painted onto his face. "Gotcha, YYW." He declared triumphantly.

Squirt!

---

Zmikecuber and esocialbookworm paced around each other in a circle, eyes never leaving the other, sizing each other up. "You think you can actually take me? That"s cute." Mike taunted, causing esocial to laugh a little. "If you can"t keep your mind out of the gutter, I just might." Esocial replied back, causing a slight grin to form on Mike"s face.

"Oh for Christ sake! Stop flirting and fight already!" Endarkened called from a ways off, causing the rest of the group to laugh. This was the last sparring match of the day, to see how each of them were developing in their hand-to-hand skills and, even though YYW technically said he wouldn"t allow it, there were many small wagers between others on who would actually win this fight.

Mike, seemingly getting motivation from the mocking comments of Endarkened, charged forward toward Esocial, hoping to use his size and superior strength to his advantage.

Esocial grinned; this was exactly what she had hoped for. With a slight step to the side, she brought her arm up, swinging it in a sideways arc toward Mike"s head, abusing the fact that he was charging too fast to be able to stop in time.

"Ooooh!" "Ouch!" "Ooooh sh*t!" the group collectively moaned as they watch zmikecuber get brutally clotheslined, hitting the ground hard. Mike just laid there for a bit, before letting out a soft groan to let the others know he was okay and, relatively, unharmed. "Whelp, I guess that settles that." YYW mused, cracking an amused grin himself.

---

"Okay, so let"s see what we got here"" YYW muttered to himself as he and Thett opened up a large duffel bag.

He had Thett, Mikal, and Endarkened go run and get the weapons that XLAV had collected for them, and they had just gotten back with what looked like a mini-armory of small arms and ammo. Most of it were civilian-issue handguns and stuff, mostly home-defense style things, nothing super useful. But YYW raised his eyebrow at the sight of a few guns in the mix, pulling one out and examining it a bit.

"Holy sh*t, that looks absolutely kick-a**." Classic gaped, staring star-eyed at the gat. YYW just shrugged. "Not if you know anything." YYW replied simply.

The weapon in question was a small machine pistol, automatic firing and a large magazine of ammo that sprayed out at a very high rate, but lousy accuracy. Examining the weapon told YYW that it had seen quite a lot of use, and not in the friendly way either; lots of different scratches and dents suggested that either the owner was not only a clutz but an idiot as well, or that it had seen some targets that weren"t silhouettes in a firing range.

He reached into the duffel bag, pulling out a magazine of ammo for it and loading the weapon. He turned and walked a few paces away from the group, aiming at a tree that was around fifty paces away from him before switching off the safety and firing a burst. A grim chuckle formed on his face when not a single bullet came anywhere near hitting the tree, spraying out wide left and wide right into the distance. YYW stepped forward a few large strides, closing the distance before resighting up and firing another burst. This time a few shots hit the trunk of the tree, but the majority whiffed. Another few strides forward and YYW fired off one final burst, nodding slightly as every bullet impacted the tree in a nice, tight grouping.

The end result of his little field test was not very good: the weapons would be near useless unless they were shooting at something up close. Anything further than ten yards out would be nearly impossible to hit.

"We need better weapons." YYW said finally, turning back around to the group of three, who collectively gave him a baffled look. "How are we gonna find better weapons? XLAV said that he had to scour the entire city just to find what we got. There"s not gonna be any others out there." Thett argued, getting a nod from Robert. YYW shook his head, however. "Sure. But you"re thinking about it wrong. A casual walk through a guard checkpoint should tell you that there are more weapons out there than what the average Joe owns."

Thett and Robert looked confused, but a surprised look of clarity came onto Endarkened"s face. "Are you suggesting"?" He started, receiving a nod from YYW.

"I am. Time to go put what we have so far to use. Time to go let our new hosts know we"re in business."
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 3:46:52 PM
To start, I want to appologize for getting really lax with making updates. Situations at home have made it hard for me to get access to the internet for posts and I haven't really had the time or motivation to sit down and write. Recently, however, I had both, so I decided to continue the series.

In short, this series isn't dead. I still have plans for it. So read ^_^
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 7:34:21 PM
At 6/19/2014 3:46:52 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Whoa. This was long...

Great as usual. ^.^

(*died at the Cubookworm moments*)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 7:46:43 PM
At 6/19/2014 7:34:21 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Whoa. This was long...

Great as usual. ^.^

I know. For reference the other chapters were around 2500 words. This was 4000+
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 7:48:18 PM
At 6/19/2014 7:46:43 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 6/19/2014 7:34:21 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Whoa. This was long...

Great as usual. ^.^

I know. For reference the other chapters were around 2500 words. This was 4000+

I realized it was longer than usual... But whoa... XD

Someone had a writing spree. :P
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 8:01:47 PM
At 6/19/2014 7:55:08 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I must say, I'm really happy this is still happening. I was afraid it had been discontinued. But now it's back and it's awesome!

Thank you! ^.^
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 8:03:11 PM
At 6/19/2014 8:01:47 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 6/19/2014 7:55:08 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I must say, I'm really happy this is still happening. I was afraid it had been discontinued. But now it's back and it's awesome!

Thank you! ^.^

I can't wait to see us be bada$$ warriors.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 8:25:40 PM
Awesomeness! Glad that the story didn't end with your AFK :D

My only criticism is that there is no "Romanii" in it yet...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 8:49:47 PM
At 6/19/2014 8:25:40 PM, Romanii wrote:
Awesomeness! Glad that the story didn't end with your AFK :D

My only criticism is that there is no "Romanii" in it yet...

Go look at the sign up thread and look at everyone on there. I'm trying to shove people in as much as I can and no one enters for a while >.>