Your VP for the Liberty Party

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 5:28:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
OreEle

Thank you wjmelements for taking the time to sit down for an interview. You are currently running as the VP for Ragnar. While you two do have a lot in common on your stances, there are points where you disagree, such as the Death Penalty, WTO, and Wars. How do you reconcile you different views in order to work together to provide a united front for your party?

wjmelements

Hold on, I have to swtich to a browser that won't erase my tabs.

wjmelements

I hate ads.

wjmelements

I realize that as a contender for Vice President of this website that those issues do not affect the management of this website. As to the possibility that they may cause conflict, you must understand that I do not have a firmly established opinion on any of the foreign wars that the United States is engaged in. Because of this, I do not expect any conflict over those issues.

The World Trade Organization isn't something I particularly care for either. It's not an important part of my beliefs and I have never quarreled with any other about it. The same applies to the Death Penalty.

Ragnar had plenty more disagreements with Rezzealaux, and there were no issues, so I don't expect any problems in that area.

OreEle

So you see your self in more of a management role then a policy role?

OreEle

correction: So you see the VP as more of a management role then a policy role?

wjmelements

I see both of these positions as purely symbolic of the policy wishes of the members of this site. They have no real authority, so of course they aren't management positions.

OreEle

"I see both of these positions as purely symbolic of the policy wishes of the members of this site." Does that mean that if elected you would try to push for policies that mirrored the members of the site?

wjmelements

Define "mirrored"?

OreEle

that the majority of the members of the site supported.

wjmelements

I have put forth policies that will be both most successful and most effective. The voters will choose what they want between the two alternatives. This means that if I was elected, I would push for my policies.

Your questions are dumb and require simple tautological answers.

OreEle

So you would push for the new taxes that Ragnar supports?

wjmelements

Last time I checked, Rangar didn't support any new taxes. Where are you getting this from?

OreEle

During the presidential interview with Ragnar, he said, "Tolls on any roads the government has, a small percentage of the value exchanged in each contract that is to be legally enforced (nonpayment means the contract is no more meaningful than toilet paper in court), opening your phone as a connection to emergency numbers (nonpayment means you can't call, nor be protected if someone calls on your behalf, nor post signs that display the government's trademark demonstrating to prospective criminals that you are protected), are the sorts of things that would be needed."

OreEle

And you defined a tax to be, "a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc." http://www.debate.org......

wjmelements

Those taxes aren't applicable to this site, but I do support a user-fee system for government funding.

As our friends on the Left are sure to point out, my position is different for government and this website. I will then respond that their position on government and free enterprise is different..

We can not have a government without funding because it would surely go under; however, the services that Debate.Org will provide come at no expense to the website. There is, therefore, no need for a stable source of income. However, income is needed to fund an ad campaign and donations are a good way to fund the construction of this site.

I don't like the idea of charging for any aspect of this site. We would not be able to maintain the title of "FREE Online Debating Community" and anyone without an account would likely be harassed at every moment by a sign begging for "Full Membership", as seen on other sites that allow only partial membership free.

OreEle

Do you support any changes (not necessarily financial) to DDO? Such as new features, or changes to features?

wjmelements

This is an incomplete list, but I support making the voting tabs permanent, enacting a policy that would allow people to vote regardless of the location of their provider, allowing a means for RFDs to be included within the vote itself, creating a means for which members could donate to this site's ad campaign, and expanding the BIG Issues to include things like "Prostitution", "TORT Reform", and "President Barack Obama". I also favor the elimination of all ads that scroll across the screen and all ads that talk in favor of silent, fixed ads.

OreEle

Do you believe that Phil is putting the talking ads and scrolling ads on because they pay more for the space or because of some other reason?

wjmelements

I can only speculate, but I believe that Phil's reasoning is entire financial. He obviously doesn't care how unlikable and irritating they make this site. Unfortunately, I don't think he realizes that all it does is convince his members to switch to Firefox. Those ads made me switch from Opera to Firefox myself, and so his ad revenues will permanently dwindle as a result. I see these ads as a poor judgment on Phil's part.

OreEle

Giving that this is based on speculation on what Phil's intentions are, if you were to get him to change his ads to ones that did not benefit him financially enough, that would ultimately cost him money that would need to be made up some how. Would you push for more donations? or any other options to try make up for the change?

wjmelements

I believe that any change from the current ad system would be a long term improvement in profits. The longer he waits, the more active members just switch to Firefox. I support an option for donations, but revenue would be gained, not lost, from ad reform.

OreEle

Well, I would like to thank you for sitting through this interview and wish you the best of luck in upcoming election.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"