DDOwnton Abbey: Episode One

orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 4:18:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
NOVEMBER, 1918

The morning buzz at Downton Abbey was in full swing. Down in the kitchens, SJ14 was frantically finishing the preparations for the upstairs breakfast that morning. Around the rest of Downton, the various members of staff were beginning their morning duties: winding clocks, mopping floors, dusting bookshelves, stoking fireplaces. In the middle of it was young Romanii. For Romanii, the Abbey was all he knew. He was the son of SJ14, and his mother had died in service just weeks after he was born. And so it had come to pass that he had grown up in the Abbey, educated by the rest of the staff, until at the age of eleven he began to work in service at the Abbey. He rose quickly through the ranks, and now had achieved the rank of Head Footman at the great Abbey at the top of the hill. Many in service would have envied Romanii, having all of this at the tender age of eighteen.

But all was not well for Romanii. Just weeks beforehand he had reached his eighteenth birthday, and he knew what this meant. Britain was a country at war, and although she was winning, young men were still being called up in their thousands to serve at the frontline and fight for their country. Romanii knew that it was only a matter of time before they would come for him, and that was not a prospect he relished. Whilst working in service might not be glamorous, or particularly desirable, Romanii knew little of the world beyond the walls of the Abbey. And whilst he did have a sense of adventure, he still felt trepidation at the prospect of leaving the Abbey.

But that was a problem for another day - the call-up had not come yet. Romanii's priority on that morning was getting everything ready by nine o'clock. Everywhere across the house, the staff watched their clocks eagerly. Nine o'clock was the time they had grown to fear, each and every day. It was at nine o'clock exactly, without fail, that the Lord of the Abbey would descend the great marble staircase to eat breakfast and peruse the papers. The Abbey must be spotless, breakfast must be prepared, the newspaper must be sitting on the breakfast table at a perfect right angle. Everything must be as his Lordship wanted it, or there would be hell to pay. The various servants of the Abbey vividly remembered what had happened last time one of the staff had not pleased his Lordship. In the right light, you could still see the stain of Izbo's blood on the curtain.

As the large grandfather clock in the Great Hall struck nine, Lord Mikal descended the stairs of the Abbey. As he descended, he looked at everything with the same cold gaze which greeted everyone, and everything, in his Abbey. So far, so normal. His butler ClassicRobert had dressed him adequately. The floor seemed to have been mopped adequately. The dust appeared to have been cleared to an adequate standard. At the bottom of the stairs, Romanii realised time was running out. He quickly placed the newspaper onto the breakfast table, without even the briefest of glances, and ran down to the kitchen. Lord Mikal reached the bottom of the stairs, briefly inspected the lower level of the Great Hall, and moved to the window. He looked out over the Yorkshire hills, and up at the sky. Being Britain in November, the sky was grey and bleak, just as the Lord liked it. He looked over to the village of Downton, just visible through the trees at the bottom of the hill. The townsfolk appeared agitated, though Lord Mikal didn't know why. The Abbey was some distance away, at the top of the hill, and the townsfolk were the size of ants. Ants his Lordship could crush whenever it suited him.

Lord Mikal left the window and began to walk towards the breakfast room. At two minutes past nine he entered, just as he always had and did, and as he imagined he always would. Everything seemed normal. His breakfast was served, the plates were arranged correctly, and the paper was at a perfect right angle. In the corner, Romanii was trying to mask his panting. He'd done it - just. That had been a close one.

His Lordship picked up his cutlery, preparing to start eating his full English breakfast. But suddenly, he stopped dead. His eyes were transfixed on the headline on the front page of the newspaper. His facial expression had not changed.

"Your Lordship," Romanii asked, worriedly, "is everything all right?".

Without a word, Lord Mikal put down his cutlery, rose from his seat, and ran out of the breakfast room and up the great marble staircase. Something strange must be happening, thought Romanii. He had never seen his Lordship running. Romanii walked over to the table and finally glimpsed the headline, dominating the news on that bleak November day. He smiled, and suddenly realised why the town was so active this morning.

Lord Mikal ran up the stairs and pushed open the door to his bedroom. "Darling?", he asked.

Lady Bon was sat up in bed, drinking a cup of tea and staring blankly out of the window, thinking of the infinite possibilities outside the Abbey. Upon hearing her husband's voice she slowly turned to face him, expressing no enthusiasm whatsoever for his presence, or for anything for that matter.

"Bon, the armistice has been signed. The war is over."

Lord Mikal was smiling for the first time in years. He hadn't smiled since his wedding day, and that was twenty years ago. If the war was over, then the rest of the staff would return from the front - not to mention his own son, Endar. It was the sort of news which could bring joy even to a soul who had enjoyed twenty years of misery - even his Lordship.

Although evidently not her Ladyship. Lady Bon turned away from her husband without a word, looking out of the window once again. Lord Mikal saw face disappear and be replaced by the back of her head, covered in her long black hair. Lord Mikal sighed, and his face returned to his normal stony expression as he turned away to return to breakfast, disheartened as always by the greatest mistake of his life.

= = =
I'm back (ish).
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 4:20:47 PM
= = =

News of the armistice quickly spread to the servants' quarters downstairs.

"Not a moment too soon", SJ14 said, as he served up a bowl of damp gruel for the servants' breakfast. "Four years and countless dead, but what have we actually accomplished?"

"We've freed the peoples of Europe, apparently", said Bookworm, looking up from the paper. "Isn't it great? I can hardly remember what life was like before the war. Do you think this means 16kadams will be back from the front soon?"

"I should certainly hope so," ClassicRobert said, in his deep, booming voice which reminded everyone he came across of their favourite schoolmaster. "There's no reason to keep our boys on the front for another moment. They ought to return before those filthy Germans try and capture them."

"That means Endar will be back too, I guess", sighed SJ14. The son of Lord Mikal and Lady Bon, and the heir to the Abbey, Endar had never been very popular amongst the servants. Whilst he had a certain charm which particularly appealed to the ladies in Downton, he'd inherited his father's legendary temper, and the servants had come on the wrong side of Endar too many times to take chances. He would certainly be hailed as the family hero when he returned, and he'd return to helping his father manage the estate which eventually he would come to own. This just meant more trouble for the staff - not a concept they especially relished.

"Now now, Bookworm," ClassicRobert said sternly. ClassicRobert was an institution in Downton. He'd been a young footman when Lord Mikal was born, and had served Lord Mikal's father Roy right up until his death. ClassicRobert was amongst the most able butlers in the country, and many guests who had stayed in Downton had tried to tempt him away to their own manors. But ClassicRobert was a classic loyalist, always ready to stand up for the establishment and stay with his master. As such, he didn't tolerate fools gladly. "Endar may not have treated us brilliantly over the years, but some day he will be the Lord of the Abbey, and I'll remind you to remember that."

"We'll all be long gone before that happens, I hope," SJ14 chipped in. SJ14 had been sacked from most of his jobs working in the country's prestigious halls, and he'd probably be released from service at the Abbey long before Lord Mikal's eventual passing. He was a deeply loveable character but, for a chef, a dreadful cook. "Right, I best be off," he said, standing up. "I'll need to get started on lunch. ClassicRobert, could you ask--"

SJ14 was interrupted by a knock on the door of the servants' quarters.

= = =

Lord Mikal was just about to leave the breakfast room when his son, Daytona, swanned in casually. He was clearly just out of bed: he hadn't changed out of his pyjamas, his eyes were bleary, his hair fuzzy. He sat down at the head of the table without a word and poured himself a cup of coffee. Unimpressed, Lord Mikal stood up.

"Daytona", he asked in his commanding voice, "what time do you call this?".

"Shut up, dad," Daytona moaned, stuffing his face with an omelette and without even a cursory glance at his father.

"In this family the men eat breakfast at nine o'clock precisely. Your food has gone cold."

"Dad, I don't care, just leave me alone, all right?", Daytona remarked, almost before his father had finished his sentence.

Aged just 17, Daytona was not much younger than Romanii, yet had an almost totally different upbringing. Educated at a prestigious boarding school and narrowly missing out on being called up to join the war effort, Daytona's life seemed predestined. He faced no choice but to work with his father and brother on the management of the estate, never being in control of it due to Endar being the older, more respected son. Daytona desperately wanted to lash out, but felt trapped in this circle of predestination. His only way of rebelling was to show disrespect, in the hope that something might get through to his parents and he may be set free.

Defiantly, Lord Mikal angrily swept his arm across the table. He knocked mugs and plates and sent them flying into the walls, where they smashed noisily. Daytona finally looked up at his father with a mixture of hostility and bemusement.

"Whilst you are in MY Abbey you shall do as I order you! Is that understood?", Lord Mikal screamed across the breakfast room. The dysfunctional father and son looked each other dead in the eyes. The tension bouncing around the room was palpable. Lord Mikal clearly expected Daytona to respond, but he obstinately refused, merely continuing to gaze into his father's eyes, with an increasingly smug expression on his face.

Lord Mikal walked to where Daytona was sitting and pulled him up by the scruff of his neck. Whilst Lord Mikal was already in his early fifties, time had been kind to him, and he could still easily pass for being in his late thirties. Not to mention the fact that he was built like a tank, and could bring pain upon people with a degree of comfort and ease the army would have loved to get their hands on.

Lord Mikal held Daytona by the back of his neck and slowly started to pull him up from his seat and onto his tiptoes. Daytona started to choke: if Lord Mikal pulled him up any further, he'd be practically hanging his own son.

"Dad -- please --", he wheezed, clearly struggling to breathe.

Lord Mikal pushed his son down to the floor with an almighty crash, sending Daytona's face smashing into the floorboard. His Lordship walked out of the breakfast room without a word to Romanii, who had been watching this exchange in silence with a look of sheer horror. He'd only gone in to clear up the breakfast plates, but unfortunately this was a scene Romanii saw far too often in the world's most dysfunctional family.

= = =

"It should be nice to have your son back around the Abbey," Bookworm said, as she brushed Lady Bon's hair.

Lady Bon just gazed into the distance. As ever, she seemed somewhat removed from the world. She let things pass her by, conscious of what was happening around her, but never quite caring for it. She'd been that way for a few years now, Bookworm thought. Almost as long as she could remember working at the Abbey, and she'd joined almost five years ago, first as a cleaner and now the lady's maid to Her Ladyship instead. All of a sudden, Lady Bon had changed, and become almost a completely different person. Bookworm could scarcely remember why - maybe it was something to do with the war.

"I suppose it will be." And with five words, Her Ladyship said all that she needed to in order to encapsulate her feelings: mild relief mixed with sheer ambivalence. Silence returned. Bookworm hated the silence. Her job was to get Her Ladyship ready for her day in the Abbey - essentially to help her get dressed and beautify herself - and that was an awkward enough job, let alone when Her Ladyship was just being silent. Bookworm had to move the conversation along.

"16kadams will be back too, I imagine. I know ClassicRobert and Romanii have struggled without the extra footman, so they'll be pleased to have him back."

"I'll be pleased to see him too," Lady Bon responded, with a surprising amount of enthusiasm. That was odd, Bookworm thought. 16kadams had been conscripted right at the start of the war and hadn't set foot in the Abbey for four long years. Bookworm was surprised that Lady Bon even remembered who he was, let alone expressed any enthusiasm for his return.

"I'm pleased, Your Ladyship," Bookworm said, still slightly startled. "I didn't realise you were especially close to him."

"We have our history", Lady Bon said, smiling to herself.

= = =
I'm back (ish).
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 4:21:43 PM
= = =

Lord Mikal was working at his desk when there was a knock at the door of the drawing room. That was odd. It was twenty past ten. People were not meant to knock at twenty past ten. It was very much Not How Things Were Done.

Lord Mikal stared at the door for a minute, to see if the knock would be repeated. He was not meant to be interrupted in the morning unless something was urgent, so either something was urgent, or a member of his staff was about to be knocked down a peg (and probably some ELO points as well).

After a short staring competition with the door of the drawing room, somebody knocked again.

"Enter," His Lordship said reluctantly. His butler, ClassicRobert, entered, looking aggravated.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, My Lord, but there is someone at the door for you and he is refusing to go away. I've been trying to get rid of him for about an hour now."

"Who is it?" Mikal asked. "Did they give a name?"

"He's German, My Lord, which partly explains my reluctance to let him in. He's claiming to be a relation of yours. He gave the name 'Wolff Von Heimer'."

Lord Mikal's face fell and he remained silent. He slowly lowered his head. He knew this had been coming, though he'd been dreading it.

Sensing Lord Mikal's hostility, ClassicRobert turned to leave. "I'll tell him that you don't wish to see him--"

"No." Lord Mikal said. He stood up and looked directly at ClassicRobert. "Send him in."

End of episode
I'm back (ish).
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 4:42:35 PM
Good stuff. I'd better sign up!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 7:10:03 PM
*thumbs up*
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 10:17:31 PM
Niiiice
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 10:53:18 PM
It would of been superb if it wasn't so British (Sorry, it's just my qwerk).
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 10:58:05 PM
It's quite disappointing reading all of this without mention of your name. I can't really imagine what role you have in store for me. I love revolution and conflict, along with more extremist elements.

Leader of the tramps, poor, and downtrodden. Demanding Repercussions for our long service in the war (I better be French or something. I will NOT be a Englishman)
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 3:46:13 AM
At 6/20/2014 10:58:05 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
It's quite disappointing reading all of this without mention of your name. I can't really imagine what role you have in store for me. I love revolution and conflict, along with more extremist elements.

Leader of the tramps, poor, and downtrodden. Demanding Repercussions for our long service in the war (I better be French or something. I will NOT be a Englishman)

Did you even read the episode? It ends with ClassicRobert telling Lord Mikal that you are at the door. It also specifically states that you're German.

Please don't get angry about not being mentioned if you evidently didn't read the episode.

Also, with regards to your criticism of it being 'too British' and your insistence on not being English, I am British, and frankly I find what you are saying extremely offensive.
I'm back (ish).
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 4:31:11 AM
At 6/21/2014 3:46:13 AM, orangemayhem wrote:
At 6/20/2014 10:58:05 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Did you even read the episode? It ends with ClassicRobert telling Lord Mikal that you are at the door. It also specifically states that you're German.

I read the entire thing, but perhaps I skimmed it a little to much. My bad.

Please don't get angry about not being mentioned if you evidently didn't read the episode.

Also, with regards to your criticism of it being 'too British' and your insistence on not being English, I am British, and frankly I find what you are saying extremely offensive.

Your taking this to seriously. Yes, I'm an anglophobic. Others are Nazis. Some are KKK. Telling me your KKK isn't offensive. Telling me you attend nazi rallies isn't offensive.

So why are you offended when I tell you I'm anglophobic (And to clarify, I am being sort of sarcastic (Not entirely))
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 4:32:15 AM
Oh, perhaps the reason I didn't see my name is because you called me Wolff Von Heimer.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 4:35:51 AM
At 6/21/2014 4:32:15 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Oh, perhaps the reason I didn't see my name is because you called me Wolff Von Heimer.

Perhaps I put you down as Wolff Von Heimer because THAT'S THE NAME YOU PUT IN THE SIGNUP THREAD
I'm back (ish).
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 4:36:23 AM
At 6/21/2014 4:35:51 AM, orangemayhem wrote:
At 6/21/2014 4:32:15 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Perhaps I put you down as Wolff Von Heimer because THAT'S THE NAME YOU PUT IN THE SIGNUP THREAD

To much heat. I surrender.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 5:34:51 PM
At 6/20/2014 4:21:43 PM, orangemayhem wrote:
= = =

Lord Mikal was working at his desk when there was a knock at the door of the drawing room. That was odd. It was twenty past ten. People were not meant to knock at twenty past ten. It was very much Not How Things Were Done.

Lord Mikal stared at the door for a minute, to see if the knock would be repeated. He was not meant to be interrupted in the morning unless something was urgent, so either something was urgent, or a member of his staff was about to be knocked down a peg (and probably some ELO points as well).

After a short staring competition with the door of the drawing room, somebody knocked again.

"Enter," His Lordship said reluctantly. His butler, ClassicRobert, entered, looking aggravated.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, My Lord, but there is someone at the door for you and he is refusing to go away. I've been trying to get rid of him for about an hour now."

"He's German, My Lord, which partly explains my reluctance to let him in. He's claiming to be a relation of yours. He gave the name 'Wolff Von Heimer'."

Lord Mikal's face fell and he remained silent. He slowly lowered his head. He knew this had been coming, though he'd been dreading it.

Sensing Lord Mikal's hostility, ClassicRobert turned to leave. "I'll tell him that you don't wish to see him--"

"No." Lord Mikal said. He stood up and looked directly at ClassicRobert. "Send him in."

End of episode

this was amazing
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:02:03 AM
At 6/21/2014 5:34:51 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 6/20/2014 4:21:43 PM, orangemayhem wrote:
= = =

End of episode

this was amazing

Such praise <3
I'm back (ish).
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 4:54:13 AM
At 6/20/2014 4:20:47 PM, orangemayhem wrote:
= = =
"I should certainly hope so," ClassicRobert said, in his deep, booming voice which reminded everyone he came across of their favourite schoolmaster. "There's no reason to keep our boys on the front for another moment. They ought to return before those filthy Germans try and capture them."

"That means Endar will be back too, I guess", sighed SJ14. The son of Lord Mikal and Lady Bon, and the heir to the Abbey, Endar had never been very popular amongst the servants. Whilst he had a certain charm which particularly appealed to the ladies in Downton, he'd inherited his father's legendary temper, and the servants had come on the wrong side of Endar too many times to take chances. He would certainly be hailed as the family hero when he returned, and he'd return to helping his father manage the estate which eventually he would come to own. This just meant more trouble for the staff - not a concept they especially relished.

Endar may not have treated us brilliantly over the years, but some day he will be the Lord of the Abbey, and I'll remind you to remember that."

"We'll all be long gone before that happens, I hope," SJ14 chipped in. SJ14 had been sacked from most of his jobs working in the country's prestigious halls, and he'd probably be released from service at the Abbey long before Lord Mikal's eventual passing. He was a deeply loveable character but, for a chef, a dreadful cook. "Right, I best be off," he said, standing up. "I'll need to get started on lunch. ClassicRobert, could you ask--"

Lol. Oh Ennie!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.