Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

The Religion forum needs deleting

Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 4:17:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The religion forum as it stands is an intellectual waste dump, with emotional high testosterone pages after pages of diatribes, whether every single person in that forum is automatically right, even when they're wrong!

This is not in the spirit of DDO, and is counterproductive to us developing an intellectual base. Therefore I forward the motion that we should remove this useless forum so as to benefit our other forums which are in dire straits, such as economics, politics, sports and science.

Virtually all worthwhile religious discussion can be done in the philosophy forum, which itself is already ~40% religion, and has much higher quality topics and discussions then the religion forum. Anything that does not fit in philosophy or the other forums simply doesn't deserve to be discussed on DDO.

If people want to talk about bible/quranic/gospel of FSM discussion, or theological issues, then perhaps we can make a new forum, the theology forum, for example.

Who is with me?
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 4:27:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/21/2014 4:17:35 AM, Envisage wrote:
The religion forum as it stands is an intellectual waste dump, with emotional high testosterone pages after pages of diatribes, whether every single person in that forum is automatically right, even when they're wrong!

This is not in the spirit of DDO, and is counterproductive to us developing an intellectual base. Therefore I forward the motion that we should remove this useless forum so as to benefit our other forums which are in dire straits, such as economics, politics, sports and science.

Virtually all worthwhile religious discussion can be done in the philosophy forum, which itself is already ~40% religion, and has much higher quality topics and discussions then the religion forum. Anything that does not fit in philosophy or the other forums simply doesn't deserve to be discussed on DDO.

If people want to talk about bible/quranic/gospel of FSM discussion, or theological issues, then perhaps we can make a new forum, the theology forum, for example.


Who is with me?

Is it possible, and just maybe, that we could simply raise our expectations people who post on the forums?
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Raisor
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 11:25:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Your argument is: people lost garbage in the religion forum, so we should close it and force them to post garbage in the philosophy forum?
XLAV
Posts: 13,702
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 12:15:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/21/2014 11:25:44 AM, Raisor wrote:
Your argument is: people lost garbage in the religion forum, so we should close it and force them to post garbage in the philosophy forum?

I have a better idea.

Ban them all!
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 12:39:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
but youd be discriminating against Fatihah AnnaNicole Bornofgod MadCornishBiker Neutral Composer Mhykiel along with the other militant atheists and Theists
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Haroush
Posts: 1,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 1:16:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/21/2014 4:17:35 AM, Envisage wrote:
The religion forum as it stands is an intellectual waste dump, with emotional high testosterone pages after pages of diatribes, whether every single person in that forum is automatically right, even when they're wrong!

This is not in the spirit of DDO, and is counterproductive to us developing an intellectual base. Therefore I forward the motion that we should remove this useless forum so as to benefit our other forums which are in dire straits, such as economics, politics, sports and science.

Virtually all worthwhile religious discussion can be done in the philosophy forum, which itself is already ~40% religion, and has much higher quality topics and discussions then the religion forum. Anything that does not fit in philosophy or the other forums simply doesn't deserve to be discussed on DDO.

If people want to talk about bible/quranic/gospel of FSM discussion, or theological issues, then perhaps we can make a new forum, the theology forum, for example.


Who is with me?

I'm not. I think this more so has to do with the quality of debaters commenting in the religion forum, not necessarily the forum topic its self. Which on a broader scale, has to do with the quality of DDO users who are currently accessing the website.

Furthermore, how is sports an intellectual topic?
Ajab
Posts: 395
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:06:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/21/2014 12:15:34 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 6/21/2014 11:25:44 AM, Raisor wrote:
Your argument is: people lost garbage in the religion forum, so we should close it and force them to post garbage in the philosophy forum?

I have a better idea.

Ban them all!

I think you meant "burn"*
#StandWithBossy
#Addison/Blade-of-Truth: I slapped a girl on the arse once with a piece of uncooked chicken, things got weird.
You threw it away, right? -Ajab
...
Oh lord did you eat it?
...maybe!
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:53:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/21/2014 4:17:35 AM, Envisage wrote:
The religion forum as it stands is an intellectual waste dump, with emotional high testosterone pages after pages of diatribes, whether every single person in that forum is automatically right, even when they're wrong!

I agree that it's an intellectual dump, that it's overcharged with BS and most of the content is worthless. That's why I only very infrequently post there.

This is not in the spirit of DDO, and is counterproductive to us developing an intellectual base. Therefore I forward the motion that we should remove this useless forum so as to benefit our other forums which are in dire straits, such as economics, politics, sports and science.

I'm inclined to agree.

Virtually all worthwhile religious discussion can be done in the philosophy forum, which itself is already ~40% religion, and has much higher quality topics and discussions then the religion forum. Anything that does not fit in philosophy or the other forums simply doesn't deserve to be discussed on DDO.

That's an interesting idea and one which perhaps ought to be explored more.

If people want to talk about bible/quranic/gospel of FSM discussion, or theological issues, then perhaps we can make a new forum, the theology forum, for example.


Who is with me?

I think this is an excellent idea which ought to be pursued further. Props to the OP. This is a very, very good idea.
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:07:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Theology would be a better name.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:08:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Ideally, this would be a great idea, but realistically, the idiots making the Religion forum what it is aren't just gonna disappear after it's been deleted... they're gonna migrate elsewhere...
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:09:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/22/2014 2:06:36 PM, Ajab wrote:
At 6/21/2014 12:15:34 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 6/21/2014 11:25:44 AM, Raisor wrote:
Your argument is: people lost garbage in the religion forum, so we should close it and force them to post garbage in the philosophy forum?

I have a better idea.

Ban them all!

I think you meant "burn"*

In due time ;)
PensiveBacon
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:18:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/21/2014 4:17:35 AM, Envisage wrote:
The religion forum as it stands is an intellectual waste dump, with emotional high testosterone pages after pages of diatribes, whether every single person in that forum is automatically right, even when they're wrong!

This is not in the spirit of DDO, and is counterproductive to us developing an intellectual base. Therefore I forward the motion that we should remove this useless forum so as to benefit our other forums which are in dire straits, such as economics, politics, sports and science.

Virtually all worthwhile religious discussion can be done in the philosophy forum, which itself is already ~40% religion, and has much higher quality topics and discussions then the religion forum. Anything that does not fit in philosophy or the other forums simply doesn't deserve to be discussed on DDO.

If people want to talk about bible/quranic/gospel of FSM discussion, or theological issues, then perhaps we can make a new forum, the theology forum, for example.


Who is with me?

I am against you.
I'm an Atheist myself but in principle I can not condone the act of silencing an entire set of people simply because I perceive them to be wrong. What if we're wrong?
Who are we to judge their concept of debating or their set of axioms, as ridiculous as they may seem?
We may try to persuade them that their views are inconsistent and ultimately wrong when put to the test of reason - That is the spirit of DDO.
Silencing people you disagree with is the bipolar opposite of what DDO is all about.

I do love the band Dire Straits though!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,923
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:23:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There used to be a lot of really, really good posters there (on both the atheist and theist side). Now there isn't which is why I rarely post there anymore.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Haroush
Posts: 1,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:23:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/22/2014 3:08:49 PM, Romanii wrote:
Ideally, this would be a great idea, but realistically, the idiots making the Religion forum what it is aren't just gonna disappear after it's been deleted... they're gonna migrate elsewhere...

Despite the fact I love the topic of religion. The comment above is exactly the reason I don't go into the religion forum for the most part.

The people in there do tend to get irrational and emotional at times. One thing is for sure,
if you plan on debating someone, it will usually go wrong in the religion forum.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,923
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:25:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/22/2014 3:18:56 PM, PensiveBacon wrote:
At 6/21/2014 4:17:35 AM, Envisage wrote:
The religion forum as it stands is an intellectual waste dump, with emotional high testosterone pages after pages of diatribes, whether every single person in that forum is automatically right, even when they're wrong!

This is not in the spirit of DDO, and is counterproductive to us developing an intellectual base. Therefore I forward the motion that we should remove this useless forum so as to benefit our other forums which are in dire straits, such as economics, politics, sports and science.

Virtually all worthwhile religious discussion can be done in the philosophy forum, which itself is already ~40% religion, and has much higher quality topics and discussions then the religion forum. Anything that does not fit in philosophy or the other forums simply doesn't deserve to be discussed on DDO.

If people want to talk about bible/quranic/gospel of FSM discussion, or theological issues, then perhaps we can make a new forum, the theology forum, for example.


Who is with me?

I am against you.
I'm an Atheist myself but in principle I can not condone the act of silencing an entire set of people simply because I perceive them to be wrong. What if we're wrong?
Who are we to judge their concept of debating or their set of axioms, as ridiculous as they may seem?
We may try to persuade them that their views are inconsistent and ultimately wrong when put to the test of reason - That is the spirit of DDO.
Silencing people you disagree with is the bipolar opposite of what DDO is all about.

I do love the band Dire Straits though!

It's not that they're wrong that he wants them silenced, it's that the quality of debate is low.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
PensiveBacon
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:48:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/22/2014 3:25:30 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/22/2014 3:18:56 PM, PensiveBacon wrote:
At 6/21/2014 4:17:35 AM, Envisage wrote:
The religion forum as it stands is an intellectual waste dump, with emotional high testosterone pages after pages of diatribes, whether every single person in that forum is automatically right, even when they're wrong!

This is not in the spirit of DDO, and is counterproductive to us developing an intellectual base. Therefore I forward the motion that we should remove this useless forum so as to benefit our other forums which are in dire straits, such as economics, politics, sports and science.

Virtually all worthwhile religious discussion can be done in the philosophy forum, which itself is already ~40% religion, and has much higher quality topics and discussions then the religion forum. Anything that does not fit in philosophy or the other forums simply doesn't deserve to be discussed on DDO.

If people want to talk about bible/quranic/gospel of FSM discussion, or theological issues, then perhaps we can make a new forum, the theology forum, for example.


Who is with me?

I am against you.
I'm an Atheist myself but in principle I can not condone the act of silencing an entire set of people simply because I perceive them to be wrong. What if we're wrong?
Who are we to judge their concept of debating or their set of axioms, as ridiculous as they may seem?
We may try to persuade them that their views are inconsistent and ultimately wrong when put to the test of reason - That is the spirit of DDO.
Silencing people you disagree with is the bipolar opposite of what DDO is all about.

I do love the band Dire Straits though!

It's not that they're wrong that he wants them silenced, it's that the quality of debate is low.

Ah, but that was exactly my point.
The quality of debates is also a subject of opinion. Since the posters of these forums are not abusing the debate platform of DDO (as some users do), there is no strong argument to support shutting them down.
It is our duty and moral obligation to try and persuade them that they are making poor arguments but by silencing them we in effect exercise what is the opposite of proper conduct.

By the way there is a difference between Philosophy and Religion, however as have been suggested I think Theology would be a more appropriate forum name.
SolonKR
Posts: 4,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 12:47:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Changing a section's name ultimately won't change the people who inhabit it, and deleting it won't stop them from inhabiting DDO and posting stuff on another thread (philosophy).

Perhaps the mods could be asked to be more strict in enforcing policies on that forum in particular, until the atmosphere in it improves. Those are my two cents.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 12:23:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'd really like to participate in the discussion on that forum, but I get so overloaded with BS responses that it frustrates me to the point of not even wanting to post there.
Nolite Timere
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 12:27:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/23/2014 12:23:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
I'd really like to participate in the discussion on that forum, but I get so overloaded with BS responses that it frustrates me to the point of not even wanting to post there.

That is why I rarely do so. You can find the odd thread worth engaging in.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 6:32:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am surprised this forum has seem such support.

I was thinking this topic would p*ss off 95% of DDO haha.
Haroush
Posts: 1,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 10:26:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/23/2014 12:47:10 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Changing a section's name ultimately won't change the people who inhabit it, and deleting it won't stop them from inhabiting DDO and posting stuff on another thread (philosophy).

Perhaps the mods could be asked to be more strict in enforcing policies on that forum in particular, until the atmosphere in it improves. Those are my two cents.

I agree. This is the most logical solution.