Jump to topic:

Using Images For Arguments

JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 2:39:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This sounds curious, but hear me out. In one of my debates, the character limit was so low that I couldn't respond to all my opponent's contentions. I expect this to be the case in the next round, as well, especially since I have a round and a half of rebuttals to make. Is it against site rules to type my argument elsewhere and post an image of it in lieu of typing it out?

Yes, this is a serious question lol.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 2:49:01 PM
At 6/21/2014 2:39:53 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
This sounds curious, but hear me out. In one of my debates, the character limit was so low that I couldn't respond to all my opponent's contentions. I expect this to be the case in the next round, as well, especially since I have a round and a half of rebuttals to make. Is it against site rules to type my argument elsewhere and post an image of it in lieu of typing it out?

I'd say it's a problem, since it's essentially like posting a link with the remainder of your argument in a Google Doc. Generally, I find it's somewhat suspect when people post tables with a lot of data as a picture. It's different when someone posts, say, a graph that requires viewing the way the data plays out, but I feel that too complex of a table may move outside of the realm of reasonability. An image containing arguments would similarly go beyond what I would consider reasonable.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 3:33:25 PM

I would vote against you on conduct and ignore anything posted in the image when weighing arguments.

The point of character limit is to restrict the length of the debate. You are trying to find a way to get around this restriction. Why would that be ok?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 3:53:57 PM

No, but it is seriously frowned upon. You will, at the very least, lose conduct. Just look at the reaction and votes on this debate:

http://www.debate.org...
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 3:57:48 PM
Thank you for all of the responses. I know now that I'll have to just cut, cut, cut until my argument fits. Sounds like fun haha. I wonder if, in future debates, I could pre-arrange with my opponents to throw out the character limit and use google docs, or something of that nature.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics