Jump to topic:

Do you get better at debating ?

IceClimbers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 8:47:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
well i did my first few debates, and at first i thought all you had to was explain your case but then i guess their are certain ways you have to do it,i was wondering do you ever get better the more you do it ? (new here )
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 8:57:43 AM
At 6/23/2014 8:47:38 AM, IceClimbers wrote:
well i did my first few debates, and at first i thought all you had to was explain your case but then i guess their are certain ways you have to do it,i was wondering do you ever get better the more you do it ? (new here )

Yes. As with most things, the more you debate, the better you get at it.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
IceClimbers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:01:11 AM
At 6/23/2014 8:57:43 AM, Subutai wrote:

lol it just seem like it's really hard lol everyone arguments are well organized and mines is all over the place
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:02:31 AM
At 6/23/2014 9:01:11 AM, IceClimbers wrote:
At 6/23/2014 8:57:43 AM, Subutai wrote:

lol it just seem like it's really hard lol everyone arguments are well organized and mines is all over the place

Read other's debates to see how to better organize your debates. Trust me, the more you debate, the more organized and standardized your arguments will be.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:11:48 PM
At 6/23/2014 9:01:11 AM, IceClimbers wrote:

If that is a concern, there's a useful link in my signature line.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:33:30 PM
I've done formal debate for a bit over a year (and now online debate) and I can say with confidence that I significantly grow with every formal/online debate that I do. Don't worry if you don't win every debate when you start out. It gets easier as you go:)
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:41:59 PM
You actually didn't do a bad job at debating (at least with me). To me, you are already pretty good at debating, all you have to do is organize your thoughts, and use discrepancies to your advantage against your opponent.

Therefore, in your case, I would say, work on your organization and study your opponents style of debating before you debate them. Then, exploit their weakness and catch them off guard.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:45:44 PM
Think of it like war games or boxing. You have to study your opponent, develop strategies against them, and think ahead of plans they might be thinking up for you.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:48:33 PM
Yes lol. Just read debates from good people and debate a lot. Practice
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:50:32 PM
At 6/23/2014 9:45:44 PM, Haroush wrote:
Think of it like war games or boxing. You have to study your opponent, develop strategies against them, and think ahead of plans they might be thinking up for you.

Yeah this is true too. I've won at least a few debates because I controlled the framework. In my debate with Royal over US hegemony, I knew that she would probably win if the debate came down to values so I framed the debate at the very beginning to come down on pragmatism.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:53:44 PM
At 6/23/2014 9:50:32 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 6/23/2014 9:45:44 PM, Haroush wrote:

Yeah this is true too. I've won at least a few debates because I controlled the framework. In my debate with Royal over US hegemony, I knew that she would probably win if the debate came down to values so I framed the debate at the very beginning to come down on pragmatism.

You witty little thing you.. :)
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 10:07:43 PM

Yes. Read other's debates and do a lot of them and I guarantee you will improve not only as a debater, but as an intellectual person.
Nolite Timere
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 11:27:32 PM
Debating and sex are very similar. The more you debate, like sex, the better you get at it.

Conversely the more you debate the less sex you get, but oh well.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 5:24:51 AM

Generally yes, my first debate here was God aweful, but not things are more defined and flows better.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~