Jump to topic:

Rule Breaking in Select Winner Voting System

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 9:18:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I just realized a dilemma in the select winner voting system. In one of my debates, my opponent broke the debate structure. That got me thinking - in the select winner voting system, how is rule breaking punished? It hardly seems appropriate to give the vote to the other person solely for that reason, but it's obviously important. How would you deal with it?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 9:33:05 AM
At 6/24/2014 9:18:30 AM, Subutai wrote:
I just realized a dilemma in the select winner voting system. In one of my debates, my opponent broke the debate structure. That got me thinking - in the select winner voting system, how is rule breaking punished? It hardly seems appropriate to give the vote to the other person solely for that reason, but it's obviously important. How would you deal with it?

I factor rule breaking into my decision. If I'm given a substantive reason to vote against the debater who broke the rules, I will do so. If not, it will still factor into my decision, essentially functioning as a dropped argument of substantial worth to the debate. If the rule breaker can outweigh it, then it's essentially a non-issue, though it would appear in my RFD.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 10:16:07 AM
At 6/24/2014 9:18:30 AM, Subutai wrote:

On a case by case basis. If it ruined the debate then it may be a loss for the rule breaker. If it is negligible then I'd ignore it. In between it would be put on a sliding scale.